10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I prefer double redundancy when it comes to backups.
    I mirror my data to a second internal drive and then upload that copy into the cloud as off-site backup.

Sync is initiated manually, so whenever I screw up I can restore from the other drive immediately.
    I use a surveillance grade drive (yeah yeah, overkill) as a 100% backup drive initiated daily on a schedule. Then I have a external I backup manually. Online I have too much data to upload without having to pay a monthly so meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    So, who else is excited for Rival Wings tomorrow?

I just hope it doesn't kill off frontlines...I only need 9 more wins to get the Twin Adder horse. ;_;
    Pretty sure there will be plenty of people who continue to bot there for xp on alt jobs. :-/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    In each case, they were complaining about what I was doing. The term "try hard" was even used once. I'm not entirely sure why they had a problem with it, healers DPSing should be something you're used to by the time you hit level 70, and it's not as if I was neglecting to heal them.

In any case, it's an attitude I've been seeing more and more of in FF14 since Stormblood. I'm not sure the two things are entirely related, but nevertheless that has been my experience so far.
    Yet in nearly 3 years playing this game, I've not once gotten the boot for, to borrow from the phrase you've used, putting on my try-hard pants. I tend to get commed for it more than anything. The absolute "worst" thing is I get no comms at all...but that's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Yet in nearly 3 years playing this game, I've not once gotten the boot for, to borrow from the phrase you've used, putting on my try-hard pants. I tend to get commed for it more than anything. The absolute "worst" thing is I get no comms at all...but that's not the end of the world.
    I absolutely realise those situations are outliers, like yourself, I tend to get heaps of commendations rather than scorn. But with the thread you and @Wrecktangle were discussing, it seemed a good time to bring it up as part of a larger shift in terms of player habits. There does seem to be a vocal hard core of the FF14 community that is very against the idea of people putting in the work to optimise their play.

I don't know, it could just be because I've been taking a forced break from FF14 due to work, but checking out the forums and reddit to catch up on what I've missed, there seems to be a lot of "anti-elitism" going around at the moment. Looking at the GD section of Squenix's forums has at least 3 of these types of discussion at the moment, maybe more. I would have written it off nothing to worry about, had I not also seen it in game too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I use a surveillance grade drive (yeah yeah, overkill) as a 100% backup drive initiated daily on a schedule. Then I have a external I backup manually. Online I have too much data to upload without having to pay a monthly so meh.
    Hehe, yeah I use Office anyway, so the whole 365 Home thing with 5TB cloud for 50€/year is quite useful. Ofc a cloud backup is "overkill" after all, it will only be needed if sth. happens to my computer that nukes both drives at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not entirely sure why they had a problem with it, healers DPSing should be something you're used to by the time you hit level 70, and it's not as if I was neglecting to heal them.
    I was kicked once too. Some crappy low level dungeon (<30) as AST.
    I was basically performing all 3 roles, b/c the tank was too incompetent to hold threat. As an experienced player, I know what I can tank and what I cannot tank, so I play accordingly.
    That obviously ruffled some tanks feathers.

Oh most hilarious kick: an AST main kicked me from another low level dungeon (again sub 30), because I didn't draw cards. He did not believe me when I told him that I did not have that ability below level 30 and went on with "I main AST I know you're lying"...

15+ Year Old Account

GIMME GIMME GIMME. *_*

Oh. MY. GOD.
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2017-11-21 at 07:54 AM.

There's supposedly Carbuncle themed armour, too. I'm not sure where it and the mounts are obtained but I do think there's a good chance it'll all be on the Mog Station...with a lesser chance of it being tied to the Gold Saucer.

Either way I'll likely get the mounts at least.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    They killed Engage spam in Command Missions. Boooo!

Also, what's up with the Carbuncle mounts? Mogstation again?
    The way to obtain the carbuncle mounts and the armour are unknown at this time.

Well, I tried Rival Wings...

We ended up with a draw since the time ran out before either team could breach the main objective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Also, what's up with the Carbuncle mounts? Mogstation again?
    Considering their potential popularity... probably.

I absolutely realise those situations are outliers, like yourself, I tend to get heaps of commendations rather than scorn. But with the thread you and @Wrecktangle were discussing, it seemed a good time to bring it up as part of a larger shift in terms of player habits. There does seem to be a vocal hard core of the FF14 community that is very against the idea of people putting in the work to optimise their play.

I don't know, it could just be because I've been taking a forced break from FF14 due to work, but checking out the forums and reddit to catch up on what I've missed, there seems to be a lot of "anti-elitism" going around at the moment. Looking at the GD section of Squenix's forums has at least 3 of these types of discussion at the moment, maybe more. I would have written it off nothing to worry about, had I not also seen it in game too.
    I want to attribute a bunch of such "anti-hardcore" behavior to people simply being trolls, but that's due to the miniscule amount of experiences I've had encountering people like that in game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    There's supposedly Carbuncle themed armour, too. I'm not sure where it and the mounts are obtained but I do think there's a good chance it'll all be on the Mog Station...with a lesser chance of it being tied to the Gold Saucer.

Either way I'll likely get the mounts at least.
    Preview of the armor (not my character; lifted this from Reddit):

Also, Tonberry, Carbuncle, and NA's beloved Gilgamesh servers are all now normal status, so people can make/transfer characters on those realms. Wonder how long it'll take for Greg to go back to congested status, lol.
    Last edited by Kazgrel; 2017-11-21 at 01:24 PM.

Really?

Meanwhile in any other game that has it people are throwing out the AC/DC, Beatles, Metallica and god knows what else.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

Really?

Meanwhile in any other game that has it people are throwing out the AC/DC, Beatles, Metallica and god knows what else.
    Favorite response to that so far was the guy who stated he started playing "Breaking the Law" soon as he had perform unlocked.

1)I believe there is no AoE effect/Buff/Debuff that crosses the boundaries of the 8 man party into another. While I do keep an eye on all 24 members (used to it from WoW) I am restricted to single target heals in order to save many a butt from fire.
    2) The rage came because people were playing like cave men, standing EVERYWHERE, despite there being marks. Naturally I cannot keep them alive indefinitely if they force me to use ST heals b/c they refuse to get into AoE range.

Considering though that they spammed me and called me an idiot (remember, we are talking about a time window of less than 30 seconds after the first chat announcement, Swiftcasts CD was about half way through IIRC), I do believe that it was no big loss that they kicked me. Esp since I got a subsequent run that started on the last boss and finished that one in the first pull.

As for the hard cast: no I could not. It was a phase in which I had co constantly move AND save as many behinds as I could (because moving is apparently hard for DPS). Had I hard casted, all of them would have been dead by the time I rezzed our healer.
    I suspected so on the AOE heals, but didn't feel like searching myself when I have you guys at my disposal .

I also misunderstood what you meant by not being able to hard raise. You COULD have, but the consequences wouldn't have made sense, that's fair, I "gave" too much credit to the rest of your party to not be mongoloids to give you the time you needed. That's my b.

If it's the same one I'm remembering (trying to avoid OF at this point due to how aneurysm-inducing it seems at times), I recall that OP mentioning grey parses, so essentially the worst of the worst. Given the lengths people go on that forum to defend poor play, it comes as no surprise.

ACT being a bit of a PITA to set up is a double-edged sword. If someone really REALLY wants to know combat stats and such, they'll go through the necessary hoops to get it installed and working. At the same time, wouldn't people want that sort of data to be readily accessible? I'm fortunate enough I'm able to set it up on my second monitor, so I use an overlay for it on part of the screen while I keep browser tabs open for things like hunt trackers, XIVDB to look up items, etc.
    I've always been the advocate for just make it official in game, punish actual harassment, teach players how to play their jobs with actual training in game. FF14's biggest issue is that the game doesn't teach you ANYTHING optimal, and doesn't give you ANY feedback on your performance so what ends up happening is you segregate your playerbase by skill and it DEFINITELY fosters resentment (as we're seeing on the forums).

I'm not naive to think that it would be magical happy land over night. I imagine there would be some growing pains, but the end result would certainly be beneficial IMO. Players who are bad would see they are bad. There would be irrefutable evidence and they would have to make a conscious choice to stick to stuff where your performance doesn't matter, or get better so that other people will want to play with them.

I personally don't like how MMO's (especially FF14) force you to go off game to get actual info about how to play well.

I could not live w/o my Draenei on my Desktop. She sits there since 2008 and keeps me company.
    Lol my background is my dranei too! I would totally use my FF14 if they had a modelviewer where I could make wallpapers.

The tank DPS thread was a good laugh, though it does raise a point of contention I've had with FF14's community. That there's a definate segment of the population that is staunchly anti-elitist to the point they'll attack anyone else who's putting even the slightest bit of effort into succeding at the content. I suspect it's because they want to get away with being carried through content, though I've not really got anything to back that up with other than a gut feeling.
    Agreed. It's really unsettling at times. It's not even about the content though IMO. It's just simply anti-elitist for the sake of it. Maybe one time they got denied an EX or got yelled at for making a mistake and now they hold a vendetta against the entire segment of the community for a singular incident by a singular person. God forbid it happens to a player frequently, why take responsibility and identify the root cause, when you can shift the blame on the bad mr. boogeyman.

I say this because I just don't see it that often, definitely not often enough to warrant the hate, but maybe I don't play enough?

Fun fact, I applied to about 20 parties this week for my weekly M+ cache clear before I finally got one. I don't know why or care why I wasn't chosen and excluded.

Fun fact #2 - my ping to a server in AUSTRALIA in WoW is less than my ping to FF14 during primetime. I live in the east coast US. EXPLAIN that to me.

Oh most hilarious kick: an AST main kicked me from another low level dungeon (again sub 30), because I didn't draw cards. He did not believe me when I told him that I did not have that ability below level 30 and went on with "I main AST I know you're lying"...
    90% of the time when someone says x because its their main they're usually giving 100% incorrect info or are bad. The same applies to mentors and people who have every job to 70 and act as if this implies they are good at any single respective job. Pure anecdotal, but it's astronomically high in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I think it's more so Squenix can absolve themselves of any legal responsibilities should record lables decide to take up legal action. I expect it's going to be more like DPS meters - As long as you don't go making a big deal out of it they're going to let it slide.

Favorite response to that so far was the guy who stated he started playing "Breaking the Law" soon as he had perform unlocked.
    I've been playing We Are The Champions after boss kills myself. It seems like the only suitable song to really play for such occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Lol my background is my dranei too! I would totally use my FF14 if they had a modelviewer where I could make wallpapers.
    If I may paraphrase Aqua Teen Hunger Force here....

Now listen, I don't wanna do anything illegal...but I would kill somebody...in front of they own mama...for a FFXIV Model Viewer.

I've always been the advocate for just make it official in game, punish actual harassment, teach players how to play their jobs with actual training in game. FF14's biggest issue is that the game doesn't teach you ANYTHING optimal, and doesn't give you ANY feedback on your performance so what ends up happening is you segregate your playerbase by skill and it DEFINITELY fosters resentment (as we're seeing on the forums).

I'm not naive to think that it would be magical happy land over night. I imagine there would be some growing pains, but the end result would certainly be beneficial IMO. Players who are bad would see they are bad. There would be irrefutable evidence and they would have to make a conscious choice to stick to stuff where your performance doesn't matter, or get better so that other people will want to play with them.

I personally don't like how MMO's (especially FF14) force you to go off game to get actual info about how to play well.
    Even if it was something as silly as a .pdf copy of an instruction manual (as part of the game's install folder) that the game, be it this one or any other, could link to and open...that would be a slight improvement over figuring/hoping/expecting people to thumb around through Google results looking for answers.

The unfortunate part, though, is the adage about leading a horse to water would still ring true, no matter how much easier/convenient that amount of information becomes. "ermagerd I don't need no instruction manual to know how to play a game" would replace (or at least equal) "you don't pay my sub".

- - - Updated - - -

I've been playing We Are The Champions after boss kills myself. It seems like the only suitable song to really play for such occasions.
    Nice one.

I'm hoping to walk by the docks in Limsa one day and hear Ken's theme from Street Fighter 2 being played. Won't be me doing it; I have the musical aptitude of a bag of sand.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could not live w/o my Draenei on my Desktop. She sits there since 2008 and keeps me company.
    Mm mm.. not exactly in desktop background use anymore, but I still have these.

10+ Year Old Account
    Woot:

Seriously?
    Guess I have to level bard now.

@Draenei pics: Mine is drawn by Noxychu, found the pic ages ago and still like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    If I may paraphrase Aqua Teen Hunger Force here....

Now listen, I don't wanna do anything illegal...but I would kill somebody...in front of they own mama...for a FFXIV Model Viewer.
    Do what now?

Oh alright.

Do What now?

Even if it was something as silly as a .pdf copy of an instruction manual (as part of the game's install folder) that the game, be it this one or any other, could link to and open...that would be a slight improvement over figuring/hoping/expecting people to thumb around through Google results looking for answers.

The unfortunate part, though, is the adage about leading a horse to water would still ring true, no matter how much easier/convenient that amount of information becomes. "ermagerd I don't need no instruction manual to know how to play a game" would replace (or at least equal) "you don't pay my sub".
    So ideally, I would flat out task job quests as hard pass fails based on core mechanics. Mechanics that teach a healer to DPS and heal simultaneously by failing the duty if they cannot manage both at a basic level. Have it expand in further quests. I'd even make one where it is designed to OOM you, and teach you to use your MP regen skills. Shit like that.

For a DPS, you can have the quest require you to hold a buff for x seconds while dodging a ton of telegraphs. If you drop the buff (say Enochian/BotD) while hitting the targets and or switching targets, you fail.

For tanks have things like enemies attacking weaker people/healers so you need to protect them, have it so that you need to use cooldowns to survive tankbusters, maybe even try and code it where the NPC maybe vokes off you and if you pull threat back you die. Couple it with a DPS check that requires DPS stance to kill it and then provoke the boss off before he's killed by the enemy.

Clever use of quest design could easily teach players the things they need to know about their classes. have NPC explain in text why certain abilities are good in certain situations etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Mm mm.. not exactly in desktop background use anymore, but I still have these.
    Those are awesome. I think I have something from Schyama too maybe an old signature or something I'd need to go look. As a matter of a fact I need to reupload my old sig (fuck photobucket seriously.). I miss that.

Mine is drawn by Noxychu, found the pic ages ago and still like it.
    When you going to post it?