Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post

Fascinating story. Is this something they patched in while I wasn't looking? Do I get in the mail with the artifacts? Or once again you were just talking out of your ass?
    Your telling me you cant hit 110 and skip straight to KJ raid?
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    This isn't 2004 anymore. The average age of the player base is much older.

Nobody has the time to spend hours and hours doing simple tasks. Let alone farming or attuning to raids. People are busy with their jobs, spouses, kids etc.

Hopefully Blizz understands this and doesn't just release a carbon copy of vanilla.
    While I agree QoL changes need to be made your argument is pretty bad.

"People are busy and should be conformed too because it's fair" is a garbage reason. WoW is an MMO, even Legion with all its conformity to casual play is still grindy. If you expect Vanilla to not be grindy you're missing the point of Vanilla coming back.

If you don't have time to play Vanilla then do what people did back in the day, don't play it. It's a game that rewards grinding and if you can't stomach it then go play another game.

The world will never revolve around people who are "too busy," that a ridiculous notion and you're ludicrous for thinking otherwise.

Can the mods make a "QoL for Classic Discussion" megathread? It's like every other thread in this subforum is about that.

But I'll say what I say in every other thread. Can we just let them release classic without any QoL changes and see how it fares for a while?
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

They are bringing back Vanilla for people that loved Vanilla.

Retail and Classic will appeal to completely difference audiences.

I don't think the majority of players are going to be successful in naxx, but plenty will hit max level and be successful in low end raids and PvP.

Besides, leveling is 3/4 the fun of vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account

Nobody has the time to spend hours and hours doing simple tasks. Let alone farming or attuning to raids. People are busy with their jobs, spouses, kids etc.

Hopefully Blizz understands this and doesn't just release a carbon copy of vanilla.
    There will be no progression, and no reason to rush. People can take their time. You don't need to do everything right away. Or actually, need to do anything at all. You can do a level a month, it won't matter.

That's the point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drudatz View Post
    private servers are popular because they are FREE. imagine how popular they would be if you had to buy the game and pay a monthly fee .D
    They are also illegal. Maybe grow up and don't be terrible.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    What's wrong with this? Do you really think players should go through all tiers of content just to catch up with others? Nothing's stopping you from doing the older raids, don't force it on others

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Not A Cat View Post
    Can the mods make a "QoL for Classic Discussion" megathread? It's like every other thread in this subforum is about that.
    And every other thread is "vanilla must be vanilla no changes whatsoever". Not much better.
    For the [enter opposing faction here]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurin View Post
    What's wrong with this? Do you really think players should go through all tiers of content just to catch up with others? Nothing's stopping you from doing the older raids, don't force it on others

- - - Updated - - -

And every other thread is "vanilla must be vanilla no changes whatsoever". Not much better.
    But Vanilla is a vacation from the main game. Why do you need to complete all of vanilla in an afternoon. I don't understand this. There is no rush.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thestackshow View Post
    They are bringing back Vanilla for people that loved Vanilla.

Retail and Classic will appeal to completely difference audiences.
    I am retail and I will enjoy vanilla. I don't plan to be on it full time. But I don't see why I need to. I don't need to 100% complete Vanilla wow to enjoy it. And that is why it should be 1.12 and stay 1.12. It's not like live when you can just skip to KJ, you will need to do all the tiers to get gear. It won't be easy.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashix View Post
    I don’t mind opinions. My insults are usually only directed at Rorcanna for being such a condescending, anti-legacy, asshole or Jaylock for just being an ass in general. Anyone else (usually) has a fair opinion. Rorcanna (9 times out of 10) does not.
    Trust me, you're missing a TON of other assholes

---

Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    It's OK if it's a failure, Blizzard think it's ok too! because they know Vanilla is for the ones that REALLY like Vanilla and there is A LOT of them, much more than you think!
    I admit, when I see idiots claiming there won't be more than 20k players, while private server (free, but without legitimacy nor visibility) reach ten times that numbers, I can't help but laugh.

Also, I summon you to do my bidding !

(if you don't get it, you don't have the right to use this username !)

- - - Updated - - -

What's wrong with this?
    It removes progression from the game and makes 95 % of the content obsolete.
    Do you really think players should go through all tiers of content just to catch up with others?
    Yes. That was one of the major fun of Vanilla, the fact that each new character had the whole game to play instead of being teleported right at the end.
    Nothing's stopping you from doing the older raids, don't force it on others
    Nothing is stopping you from playing Legion, don't force shitty Legion design on Vanilla.
    Also, nothing is stopping you from playing blind with one hand in your back, so we could just make the whole game a faceroll and ask people to handicap themselves to get some challenge.
    Or we could put an "I win" button everywhere and just say "you don't have to push it".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I believe Wildstar was the big one.
    It was certainly claimed, mostly by people that wanted to use it as an example of vanilla WoW not working today. But when I looked at it personally, I saw basically no resemblance to vanilla WoW and had no interest in even trying it. I really struggle to see the actual similarities, except perhaps the overall higher difficulty and slower pacing. The big immediate thing that it failed to replicate was the depth of the lore and the world of vanilla WoW. It also had a very different theme and combat mechanics etc. Can you explain what the similarities are?

You also misunderstand the "commercial failure" term. It does not mean that no profit would be made, commercial success has some dependence on financial success, but financial success is not all.
    Commercial failure/success means return on investment (ROI). Pure and simple. And the whole argument I was making is that WoW Classic will have great ROI no matter what (low cost / high interest).

Doesn't mean it's going to be universally acclaimed with massive population and insane retention rate like the original.
    Those are not measures of commercial success. A game can be universally acclaimed, have a massive population and insane retention rates, yet be a commercial failure if it doesn't produce adequate ROI (compared to alternative investments, and taking into account the inherent risk).

BF2 has enough preorders to easily, and I mean easily, make the game a financial success. The backlash however could send large waves through EA's credibility in the industry, and could cost them future contracts from popular companies, like Disney.
    You're mixing two different things here: 1) the ROI on a single product ("commercial success"), 2) second-order effects (long term impact on the company's image etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    It was certainly claimed, mostly by people that wanted to use it as an example of vanilla WoW not working today. But when I looked at it personally, I saw basically no resemblance to vanilla WoW and had no interest in even trying it. I really struggle to see the actual similarities, except perhaps the overall higher difficulty and slower pacing. The big immediate thing that it failed to replicate was the depth of the lore and the world of vanilla WoW. It also had a very different theme and combat mechanics etc. Can you explain what the similarities are?
    Pretty much. Wildstar was quite dynamic, and I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't relate with the world, the lore or the classes. I was looking for immersion, and it was precisely what it lacked.

Deleted
    Wildstar was a great game, but the inmersion and the world was.broken. Lfg tools and a heavilly instanced game. It didn't help it was released too early, but the game had the heart in the right places for thr most part. It was a failure from an economic point of view,but that's not how we define good or bad games, do we?

i have to admit that i played it extensively like no other mmorpg i had played since.vanilla, too bad it wasn't good enough where it matters.

I hope Blizzard won't do anything cruel, like unlocking transmogs in retail from doing content on classic, like reaching maxlevel or killing Ragnaros.
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted

Why do you want 2 retails running at the same time? If you have a lack of time, go play retail.
    It's OK that Classic servers are a thing on the side and not cleared instantly by everyone and their mom.
    These days you feel like you've completed retail after grinding the game for 1-2 weeks on a fresh 110 due to how easy it is to achieve gear, I miss having something that could take months, which is OK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I want to go back and kill trivialized bosses with OP gear? Or even go back at all, since they don't even drop anything good relative to welfare I get elsewhere? Combine the two problems and it's ultra levels of fail.

A bigger problem is content droughts, all the plebs love welfare and being able to skip content, yet turn around and complain there is nothing to do two weeks later. Inb4 Antorus is 12 months and nothing else is relevant.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Deleted
    Do you really think players should go through all tiers of content just to catch up with others?
    Yes, all the content should be current all the time, previous content should not be obsoleted by every patch. That way there is nothing to "catch up with", just content you haven't done yet. Just because someone else cleared a raid tier doesn't make it "old" for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    (if you don't get it, you don't have the right to use this username !)
    I do get it I still use that Avatar on some forums, I've been using that nickname since 1997. Master of Magic is such a great game.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    It does have item level requirements.

Just means we can enjoy it for much longer and not finish it in two weeks.

Hi Tennis! I'm a 27 year old man living with my girlfriend and our son. I have a full time job (both evenings and weekends) and in my spare time me and my team works hard to create our very first game.

I have very little time left to play games, which is my #1 passion together with Music. I have to arrange so that my girlfriend is out with her friends, my son is at his grandparents and make sure it all happens the weekend I'm free to actually have more than 1 hour per day to play.

And I want the time consuming shit we got in vanilla. Because when I reach 60, it'll have been a journey. When me and my friends starts to get blue gear and PvP we'll feel like we're finally there, to crush "Horde/Alliance" and get some honor points to boost our ego, it'll be a journey. When we finally raid and kill bosses in Molten Core, first Onyxia kill. It'll be such a great feeling.

I don't care if we reach 60 like 4 months after release, Onyxia kill 1.5 year after release. That's what we want. Something to spend our time doing and get the great rewards for doing so. During retail I hit lvl 60 after 6 months, and I went to High School at the time. I had time. I just spent in the world without stress.

You all have to realize that people who wants to play Vanilla, with small changes or not, aren't the stressed out "omg gotta rush max lvl, omg gotta rush epic LEWT" players that play today. Some might be, but they also do it just because of the challenge. If they do it fast, they'll have such a head start for a long time. They like the feeling of being powerful. Rest of us, we play because we enjoy our journey.

So please, Blizzard, if you're reading this. Let the core features of Vanilla stay. Tweak things if you must, the flow in questing could be better. Some talent trees could be useful (at all lol). As long as you don't remove the spirit of Vanilla, the feeling that when you finally reach somewhere, you have earned it.