Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What if you "vanillaized" retail WoW

Let me start by saying I am not one of these anti-classic WoW people, I am looking forward to it and can't wait to see how they implement it.

That being said, I wonder what kind of interest there would be in WoW retail servers that were "vanillaized"? By "vanillaized" I mean the following were removed:

1) No merged realms

2) No cross realm

3) No LFR

4) No LFG

5) No realm hopping

6) No cross-realm BG's

Basically, you are forced to interact with people on your server. The people you see at the AH or in the middle of Winterfel, are on your server. If you get a bad reputation for cheating, scamming, or just being a dick, that reputation haunts you on your server. The same with good a good reputation. If you camp some low level dude, he can remember your name and hunt you down once he gets geared, or he can get guildiees to help haunt you down and you dont phase away to another realm just because you crossed a zone barrier. Etc. Etc.

Part of me wonders if these changes wouldnt give me 80% of what I want from Classic WoW? Maybe this sort of server with current retail content, should be an option in addition to Classic WoW?

15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't really work for the sole reason that the levelling and dungeon mechanics have been so severely trivialized that you still don't need a solid social base for any ingame content besides raids.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

imho retail wow should keep moving forward as it is and not backwards, some may not like it some will.

And when classic is out we can always play that if we are not satisfied by retail anymore.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    1) No merged realms

2) No cross realm

3) No LFR

4) No LFG

5) No realm hopping

6) No cross-realm BG's
    What if Blizzard killed the game.

Seriously, it's not a popular game on it's launch day. All those changes help with WoW's aging and it's diminishing population.

why do you need to socialize on retail? outside of raids and greater invasion there is no activity that req a group, retail is single player game with co option for raids thats it.

Deleted
    1) No merged realms - Dead servers will became even more dead

2) No cross realm - same as first

3) No LFR - I'm not using it

4) No LFG - If you mean random HC dungeon, last one I did was like a half year ago

5) No realm hopping - That would be a good change

6) No cross-realm BG's - same as 1

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    why do you need to socialize on retail? outside of raids and greater invasion there is no activity that req a group, retail is single player game with co option for raids thats it.
    Well I like playing Invasions, Dungeons, WQs etc with my guild mates to have a good time...

Deleted
    Pristine servers have been mentioned before but it would not be considered as Classic enough for WoW Classic which would be set sometime during vanilla to be considered 'Classic' otherwise WoW Classic will really be perceived as 'WoW Pristine' and not really as 'WoW Classic'.

Let me start by saying I am not one of these anti-classic WoW people, I am looking forward to it and can't wait to see how they implement it.

That being said, I wonder what kind of interest there would be in WoW retail servers that were "vanillaized"? By "vanillaized" I mean the following were removed:

1) No merged realms

2) No cross realm

3) No LFR

4) No LFG

5) No realm hopping

6) No cross-realm BG's

Basically, you are forced to interact with people on your server. The people you see at the AH or in the middle of Winterfel, are on your server. If you get a bad reputation for cheating, scamming, or just being a dick, that reputation haunts you on your server. The same with good a good reputation. If you camp some low level dude, he can remember your name and hunt you down once he gets geared, or he can get guildiees to help haunt you down and you dont phase away to another realm just because you crossed a zone barrier. Etc. Etc.

Part of me wonders if these changes wouldnt give me 80% of what I want from Classic WoW? Maybe this sort of server with current retail content, should be an option in addition to Classic WoW?
    This is exactly what I wanted to begin with.... I think many vanilla lovers would love it too. But.... obviously dead realms are an issue, so a true merge would be required.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing quite as exciting as having tons of stuff arbitrarily removed.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergunk View Post
    imho retail wow should keep moving forward as it is and not backwards, some may not like it some will.

And when classic is out we can always play that if we are not satisfied by retail anymore.
    Exactly this.

Deleted
    I honestly don't think that the game changing changed the community. The community changed far more on its own. If you removed grouping tools and such people would flock to 3rd party sites (like wotlk before the dungeon tool). I know a lot of people don't feel like it, but these changes have been happening cause people wanted them. I don't think that making your own groups for really easy content would really make you befriend more people or get more social with them cause there's no feeling of actually accomplishing something together.

Deleted

1) No merged realms

2) No cross realm

3) No LFR

4) No LFG

5) No realm hopping

6) No cross-realm BG's

Players would quit. It's a hard thing for some to accept especially those in the pro vanilla camp who are son entrenched in the fantasy the majority agree with them but wow is how it is be caius e the majority asked for it to be that way.

We asked for lfr, lfd and all the qol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also, it's incorrect to say that "vanillaized" retail WoW would not include cross realm battlegrounds, they were added in patch 1.12.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about nearly anything in Retail except for the excessive welfare and catchup that plays the game for you if you just play casually. The majority of the content is made trivial and obsolete non-stop, which creates content droughts always at the end (Forced into one raid even if you never did any of the previous). So if that was changed, I'd go back to playing a lot more then I currently do (Sight seeing really these days)

It's like wtf am I even farming ap/ak/gear for if I don't raid Mythic?
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

What if they didn't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit, do you really think crossrealm features (I mean the lack of) are the only important thing defining vanilla?
    Last edited by Zka; 2017-11-22 at 05:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

1) No merged realms

2) No cross realm

3) No LFR

4) No LFG

5) No realm hopping

6) No cross-realm BG's

Oh, look, add a few more points and you would have 'Pristine'.

But no, it would be a shot in the foot to remove massive things like those 6.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Interesting idea, but I think such a change is too little and too late since WoW Legion is a spinoff and not the real world of warcraft.

Deleted

1) No merged realms

2) No cross realm

3) No LFR

4) No LFG

5) No realm hopping

6) No cross-realm BG's

Dumbest idea ever. Basically at this point you'd kill what remains of casual raiding, completely kill ALL activity on low pop servers and kick the PVP guys (who are already not really dealt the best of hands by Blizz... for like 3 expacks straight) square in the balls. In other words you'd remove all of the bread and butter, normal playerbase. Leaving the game with... which part of the playerbase, now? Oh, that's right: nobody. Progression raiders would quit because nobody gives a fuck about the race (happens already), casual herbpickers who log in once a week would quit because the game would be nothing but tumbleweed and empty zones.

All in the name of idiotic nostalgia for spamming LFG BRF in trade chat.
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2017-11-22 at 02:32 PM.