Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The community mindset shift on Flasks

I was just thinking.

As I recall, no one used flasks on the whole raid until Death and Taxes decided to flask the whole raid for Four Horsemen. And that was considered unheard of, tryhard, nolife, ridiculous.

Back then people might use flasks on a few key members and only for progress on hard fights.

A huge shift in community mindset on flasks has occurred since then.

I think in early vanilla flasks were removed on death, but they changed it and still no one used flasks much.

Now everyone flasks for every raid.

I forgot how they used to work, but if they were removed on death in Vanilla I would like to keep it that way. Makes it more min-max worthy ;>

Quote Originally Posted by Shisui-kun View Post
    I forgot how they used to work, but if they were removed on death in Vanilla I would like to keep it that way. Makes it more min-max worthy ;>
    By Ahn'qiraj they definitely weren't removed on death.

What exactly is there to discuss here? Reads more like a boring blog post.
    Well, I imagine with the way people think now people are going to go back and do things like flask the entire raid for crap like Molten Core and Blackwing Lair. Nobody did that back then. The content is going to get annihilated more than it already would.

Also maybe some slight ninja, but wasn't enchanting the only profession that gave you stats as well? For the rings iirc?

I totally forgot what perks professions gave and what the difference between goblin and gnome engineering was as well.

No one flasked an entire raid because it was stupidly expensive.

Since then it's been much cheaper because of bots, flight and resource trading for materials.

If you can't trade resources for mats (started in LK with badges), you can't fly around and avoid combat and neither can the robot druids then suddenly flower picking becomes scarce and anything made with them that much more expensive.

Also remember that back in the day to fully pick a material node you had to loot it multiple times.

I'm poor, so I just use the stat crystals and augment runes.

Would be nice if there was a race (*cough* Goblin) that had free flasks as a racial...

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shisui-kun View Post
    Also maybe some slight ninja, but wasn't enchanting the only profession that gave you stats as well? For the rings iirc?

I totally forgot what perks professions gave and what the difference between goblin and gnome engineering was as well.
    Was mostly recipes only. Funny Gizmos for Gnome, exploding shit for Goblins.

definitely used flasks for progression in bwl as a tank , and remember using every damn pot/consumable under the sun in mc progression as dps (no limit restrictions on elixers)

It will be interesting to see how the meta and knowledge change the game, even in the long run. Loads of people barely even knew exact stats and caps. The economy will be stable for years to come due to the amount of materials in each level pool, so flasks will be sought after in that case.

Having to farm consumables for longer than the actual raid lasts is fucking stupid, I won't do any of that shit just to clear piss easy raids faster.

Flasks weren't removed on death and the only people that actually needed to use flasks were tanks and healers. With that said, a lot of the higher end guilds used flasks for everyone as well as using a ton of other elixirs and resist pots for progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Flasks weren't removed on death and the only people that actually needed to use flasks were tanks and healers. With that said, a lot of the higher end guilds used flasks for everyone as well as using a ton of other elixirs and resist pots for progression.
    If you had them you used them, for my guild it was a requirement for all progress raids for eveyone, dps, tanks & healers alike. That included starting out in MC was a potting & flasking nightmare.

Deleted
    flaskes where harder to farm since Black lotus had a timer on it for when it spawned and only at 4 map areas which had like 11-13 locations they where. So yeah flasking was a much harder deal because of matts. However elixers and other world buffs where easyer to gey

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    I was just thinking.

As I recall, no one used flasks on the whole raid until Death and Taxes decided to flask the whole raid for Four Horsemen. And that was considered unheard of, tryhard, nolife, ridiculous.

Back then people might use flasks on a few key members and only for progress on hard fights.

A huge shift in community mindset on flasks has occurred since then.

I think in early vanilla flasks were removed on death, but they changed it and still no one used flasks much.

Now everyone flasks for every raid.
    Nihilum fully flasked for Cthun if I remember this correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    definitely used flasks for progression in bwl as a tank , and remember using every damn pot/consumable under the sun in mc progression as dps (no limit restrictions on elixers)
    When I was doing MC in a guild doing it for the first time, most people brought consumables, I used everything I could reasonably get my hands on to get an advantage. We were by no means a cutting edge raiding guild at the time.

I'm not sure why people think players were all stupid, didn't bother to theorycraft, and couldn't possibly understand things like the hit chance against a boss. Perhaps people don't understand how the loot worked, which is to say, we knew what was best in slot, but getting it was a different matter. For example, not a single DFT dropped for our guild, that means every rogue, hunter, and dps warrior was missing a bis item. It was this way with many items, they simply didn't drop in large enough quantities or even at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutelf View Post
    Nihilum fully flasked for Cthun if I remember this correctly.
    I remember some play-by-play story as told by Nessaj or whoever, that when they realized C'thun had been fixed, mid fight, the command to pop flasks was given. So even they didn't chug all the time.

I just remember using Fire Resist Flasks for Raggy in MC, and tanks used flasks during progression.
    Shadowlands - Server first 60 Rogue on Tarren-Mill EU
    Classic - Server first 60 Rogue on Gandling EU
    Server first Ragnaros, World 6th

15+ Year Old Account
    My guild made potions and flasks a requirement for all progression bosses some time about half way through AQ40...
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    how it actually was you did tries and when you nailed the mechanics and was confident to get a kill in reasonable amount of tries you heard the infamous "consumables" on TS which meant the entire raid will use every single consumable there is for the upcoming try or tries

sometimes this was after getting the ony and hakkar buff
    and sometimes you also went into LBRS to get a fire ress buff

Deleted
    Or diremaul.