Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I didn't use flasks much i just potted mageblood / sage elixir was good for most of the early raid content, I went alchemist because of the mageblood potions from zandalar friendly. but being able to make fire protection potions and your own mana potions is invaluable as a healer especially for your first few raggy attempts. i don't remember flasks being much more powerful than just multi-potting they just lasted for 2hrs and didn't disappear on death. if you don't die then potting was probably better for me, mana regen was a nicer alternative that getting like 70 int or whatever.

I was good with those consumables, 12mp5, 18int/spr, food,mana oils. your not going to need flasks for t1/t2 its just not going to be that worthwhile. a hell of a lot easier to make stacks of regular pots and save the black lotus for when you hit a wall. flask recipies are drops as well so you have to actually farm them first.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-11-23 at 12:30 PM.

I rarely used flasks. As a shaman healer I was poor as hell. When we had certain fights nailed down and were close to kills I would then use a flask.

I did as much grinding as was possible, whipper root tubers night dragon breath I think it was called as well. Those shitty demon rune things and doing shit loads of 5man Strat living section so I could get pots and bandages + orbs to make some cash.

It was rough.

Just use world buffs. You don't need flasks. We're smarter than that now

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    When I was doing MC in a guild doing it for the first time, most people brought consumables, I used everything I could reasonably get my hands on to get an advantage. We were by no means a cutting edge raiding guild at the time.

I'm not sure why people think players were all stupid, didn't bother to theorycraft, and couldn't possibly understand things like the hit chance against a boss. Perhaps people don't understand how the loot worked, which is to say, we knew what was best in slot, but getting it was a different matter. For example, not a single DFT dropped for our guild, that means every rogue, hunter, and dps warrior was missing a bis item. It was this way with many items, they simply didn't drop in large enough quantities or even at all.
    Because in the culture war of which raiding was harder between two separate games it's easier for the people wanting a modern version of classic to spout old wive's tales about how bad everyone was and they were all clueless. Honestly it's a dumb debate. Most of the top raiders right now started after vanilla. There are a few outliers that have carried the torch for 13 years but they are honestly not the ones crying wanting changes afaik.

Black lotus has a 45-60 minute re spawn at a random location in 4 zones, at a random location. Provided the minimum re spawn timer occurs every time, and the lotus is picked up as soon as they spawn.

Each server can spawn about 96-128 black lotus every 24 hours, maximum. The use of flasks is not a viable option for boss fights, but the most difficult ones. You would likely keep 1-2 in your bank, maybe you save up a few prior to your guild starting on a new raid.

You can see on world first Kel'Thuzad kill
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CNN_Cn2L2A&t=65s

They use just about every elixir and flask available. Including some unique consumables from Zul'Gurub, the Hakkar world buff and it looks like they are using nature protection potions as well. Elemental protection potions being significant in classic wow in that you can drink them prior to taking damage, even before the encounter begins.

Edit: wrong video link + edit text
    Last edited by MMKing; 2017-11-23 at 10:55 PM.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    Black lotus has a 45-60 minute re spawn at a random location in 4 zones, at a random location. Provided the minimum re spawn timer occurs every time, and the lotus is picked up as soon as they spawn.

Each server can spawn about 96-128 black lotus every 24 hours, maximum. The use of flasks is not a viable option for boss fights, but the most difficult ones. You would likely keep 1-2 in your bank, maybe you save up a few prior to your guild starting on a new raid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5g5bf3paIY

They use just about every single buff available. Flasks, elixirs, potions, obscure buffs from repeatable quests etc. Including Zul'Gurub world buff, and the dragon slayer world buff. Though not the Dire Maul buff it seems.
    That isn't Nihilum. Nihilum had the world first on Kel'Thuzad. That's a private server.

Also that's some serious tryharding for 11 year old content. They soulstoned the whole raid and went to felwood to get the quest buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    I was just thinking.

As I recall, no one used flasks on the whole raid until Death and Taxes decided to flask the whole raid for Four Horsemen. And that was considered unheard of, tryhard, nolife, ridiculous.

Back then people might use flasks on a few key members and only for progress on hard fights.

A huge shift in community mindset on flasks has occurred since then.

I think in early vanilla flasks were removed on death, but they changed it and still no one used flasks much.

Now everyone flasks for every raid.
    Nothing to do with community mindset shift.

Just how hard flasks were to come by in comparison to how dirt cheap they got.

Remember that tiny little detail of needing a Black Lotus? Which had a long spawn timer (1 hour), single location in entire zones (but only on 4 areas in the game), etc?

That's why you weren't able to get 'constant flask' uptime like you do today, for 'free'. It was impossible. So, people got them, and only used them on those very important situations, and that's fine, you had dozens of different consumables to get running (Winter ekos, pots, scrolls, elixirs, root tumblers, demonic runes, etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5g5bf3paIY

They use just about every single buff available. Flasks, elixirs, potions, obscure buffs from repeatable quests etc. Including Zul'Gurub world buff, and the dragon slayer world buff. Though not the Dire Maul buff it seems.
    Did you really just call a private realm KT kill a "World first"?

dude, seriously.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2017-11-23 at 04:57 PM.

I was looking through old Naxx videos, looked at the Nihilium one and kept looking. Somehow i ended up looking up the wrong video when i was looking at the buffs they were using, and used the wrong link.

Here is the correct one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CNN_Cn2L2A&t=65s
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

Actually, it was mostly like:

Provide flasks for tanks on particular fights, provide some potions on particular fights as a guild and the rest was "If you can afford it, use it".

Like, guild would provide titan flask for tanks on Patchwerk and Huhuran-->C'thun, along with some nature absorb potions for Huhuran for the melee.

The rest was mostly "use your own if you want" if i recall correctly, i remember drinking everything at one fight, overagrooed Maexxna three times (Windfury OP) (We already had her on farm, was for fun to check DPS )

You flasked on progression when it made sense. You didn't bother for learning wipes, but when a kill was near you're damn right people flasked up. Didn't start in Naxx.

Some guilds would keep their tanks flasked at all times.