Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Cultural appropriation is defined specifically to target white people. jackofwind posted a perfect example of how they thread the language. much like "PoC" includes everyone except white people. and the redefining of racism was to change to exclude white people from being victims."

you wont find much of a reaction to people who are not white doing anything that would set off the usual suspects

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    Are Jammie Oliver / Gordon Ramsay appropriating culture by profiting of the cuisine of various cultures that they either reproduce or experiment with? Are they demeaning it when they think the taste could be improved upon by choices of their own? Is that cultural imperialism?
    Italians must be pissed on how we plebs dare eat and profit of off pizzas.

Or Mexicans due to us eating tacos.

etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Don't know what any of those things are. Again, if they're personally profiting off of it while not being part of the culture then it's wrong.
    So the italian restaurants in South Korea are all bad?

Deleted
    What the fuck is this?

You people sure seem to have trouble reading.

Food is also a completely different thing than culture dress that has actual meaning behind it other than being a fashion accessory. Such as a native american headdress.
    So you think it would be wrong of people to sell a hanbok in USA if they're not korean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    So the italian restaurants in South Korea are all bad?
    no, cultural appropriation is about not respecting that someone else's culture is there's and must be treated with respect. If you saw someone dressed in a bikini fashioned after a hanbok you might be offended, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BayZ843j...n-by=gracement

Came across this earlier, people are screaming about cultural appropriation and racism in the comments. I'm dumbfounded, why are people so pissed at her for dressing up for a Halloween event? Can people not dress up like they want to as long as they're not disguising their identity or exposing too much of their body?
    Racists don't need a reason to hate someone regardless of what color, creed or nationality they are.

They just like to create false narratives to push how evil X denomination is, slap a idiot's reasoning on it and call it Cultural appropriation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post

The person in the hallloween photo looks amazing and should be proud.
    Last edited by The Penguin; 2017-11-23 at 06:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Annnd i still say it is bs..whatever happened to WANTING cultures to mix and mesh to encouraging multiculturalism?

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it still have a present day cultural significance?
    I don't think that actually matters, especially when the culture itself sells such things to tourists. I know I've got a kimono in my closet that dad brought back from Japan.

Ive even seen stores on native american reservations that will sell imitation headresses

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    no, cultural appropriation is about not respecting that someone else's culture is there's and must be treated with respect. If you saw someone dressed in a bikini fashioned after a hanbok you might be offended, right?
    Bikini fashioned after a hanbok?

I wouldn't be offended but I'd laugh.

Does it still have a present day cultural significance?
    Yes...?

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Sjws consider asians as white people because they have just as much "privilege" as white people.
    This.

Also

Not in any legal sense, no. But it's a form of disrespect to personally profit off a culture you have nothing to do with.
    Better not let that little city boy dress up as a cowboy, he ain't seen the shit I seen in th' West.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BayZ843j...n-by=gracement

Came across this earlier, people are screaming about cultural appropriation and racism in the comments. I'm dumbfounded, why are people so pissed at her for dressing up for a Halloween event? Can people not dress up like they want to as long as they're not disguising their identity or exposing too much of their body?
    If native Americans find it offensive then it is cultural appropriation.

You people sure seem to have trouble reading.

Food is also a completely different thing than culture dress that has actual meaning behind it other than being a fashion accessory. Such as a native american headdress.
    So you're one of those that thinks Mexican restaurants with sombreros on the wall and adobe facade are offensive. Gotcha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bikini fashioned after a hanbok?

I wouldn't be offended but I'd laugh.

Yes...?
    Traditional Native American clothing

Culturally appropriated costume:

If you can't see how this is disrespectful than I don't know what to say

Deleted
    Well, I have no say in something like this. If Native Americans are offended by this then, yes, it's cultural appropriation.

Traditional Native American clothing

Culturally appropriated costume:

It isn't disrespectful.

Images
    It's a costume. Deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In that case, it certainly takes away those specific people's rights to bitch about it. I'm sure there are some within their culture that disagree with them selling it as a souvenir to tourist.
    Sure, but then the blame goes on the people selling it, not the people buying it. Especially if the people buying it wont use it in a racist fashion.

There will always be internal struggles, but I dont believe in catering to fundamentalists if the majority are ok with selling stuff. Like you'll probably see a few Seminoles bitch abut FLorida State, but the VAST majority of Seminoles actually support what FLorida State does.

- - - Updated - - -

That has no cultural meaning. That's just fashion. Not the same thing.
    It had practical uses while doing cattle drives, and still does today when ranching.

taking something that has a deep cultural meaning to people and turning it into a sexy halloween costume is definitely racist
    I almost took your comment seriously. nice sarcasm