Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is it time to get a new PC

Any thoughts on if it is worth it to build new. Currently running I5 2500k, 8g ram, R9 290 video card. Was thinking of going with I7 7700k, 1080 video card and 16 gig of ram. I mostly play WOW, is this overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by smeaton View Post
    Any thoughts on if it is worth it to build new. Currently running I5 2500k, 8g ram, R9 290 video card. Was thinking of going with I7 7700k, 1080 video card and 16 gig of ram. I mostly play WOW, is this overkill?
    I'd go for a 8700k if I were you.

2500k still has pretty strong single core performance if OC'd, which is mostly what WoW is based off of. Just upgrade the Ram/GPU, would be more cost effective. If you upgrade the processor, you'll also have to upgrade motherboard and Ram as well, and potentially your cooler, I don't think you'd see an improvement worth the $400-500 that will cost.

7700k is in a weird place right now. While still a beast at gaming, 8700k is definitely more future proof, although significantly more expensive. IMO just do a few upgrades, and upgrade processor later.

Only go 1080 if you're planning to go for a 1440p and/or 144hz display. If you're still on a 1080p/60hz monitor, even a 1070 will be overkill.

Thanks for the fast responses. My monitor is the Asus VG248 QE 144hz refresh rate, to be more specific on my build I am on the i5 2500k running at 3.3 Ghz (water cooler on it, not sure what one), a gigabyte Z68x mobo, 8 gigs of ddr3 patriot memory (667 MGHZ) with a 600W power supply and my r9 290 video card. ive noticed that my frames are getting rather low in wow even just hanging out in Dal, I tried running on ultra, but really poor frames 30-40 FPS

Sounds Like need gaming pc. Well, I have Alienware Aurora R5. with following specs.

Processor: Intel Core i7 6700k
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
    Memory: 64GB DDR4
    Storage: 1 GB SSD, 4 TB Hard Drive
    Power Supply: 1000W PSU

Did you know 64 GB is quite enough for gaming pc. in future I will change only graphics card because I had purchased prebuild Gaming PC. So I don't Know what your budget is?

Quote Originally Posted by wendell View Post
    Sounds Like need gaming pc. Well, I have Alienware Aurora R5. with following specs.

Did you know 64 GB is quite enough for gaming pc. in future I will change only graphics card because I had purchased prebuild Gaming PC. So I don't Know what your budget is?
    Well this is to show that never buy a prebuilt pc. 64gb ram and 1000w PSU? Yeah no

10+ Year Old Account
    increase your ram so your computer will last longer.

I bet you paid 3 times its worth for that too haha

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I bet you paid 3 times its worth for that too haha
    its cost $3,625 but it is my choice there are more PCs are available.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd wait for the next gen Intel CPU's with new mobo architecture.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    increase your ram so your computer will last longer.
    Right! I have experience with 64gb ram.

Jesus, that PC was prob worth $ 2 - 2.5k when it was new.

64gb ram is way too much for gaming, you'll use like 12gb max.
    1000w PSU on a system that draws ~3-400w? Nice.

You basically threw away $1k+ on the Alienware logo. I know its everyones choice to do what they want, but buying Alienware is the worst thing you can do these days.
    Last edited by Hoofey; 2017-11-24 at 09:04 AM.

RIP dude, I recently bought a pc, and it costed me 1.2k euros only for a better gaming spec than you. I don't have 64 GB ram, but that is excessive as fuck, I got a 16 one. Instead, I bought a cpu at 7700k, instead of 6700k. Also I don't have that huge of a hard drive or SSD. But who needs all that space lmao.

Geez, you got ripped off mate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back to subject at matter
    Upgrade to GTX 1070.
    Maybe get a SSD to run your games off.
    But if you really want to replace your current PC then go for this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($295.99 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS GAMING WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($41.77 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($429.89 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec - EarthWatts Platinum 650W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1389.49
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-24 05:22 EST-0500

EDIT: Would never recommend the 8700K or the 7700K both overheat like insane and you need to delid them if you want to overclock even on a water cooler. It's either that or buy from Silicone lottery for an increased price.
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2017-11-24 at 10:26 AM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

is this overkill?
    Completely. If you really want to throw money at an upgrade just do the graphics card for now. The i5 2500K is still pretty good. There hasn't been a major leap in single core performance since then. WoW is not going to get much of a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    EDIT: Would never recommend the 8700K or the 7700K both overheat like insane and you need to delid them if you want to overclock even on a water cooler. It's either that or buy from Silicone lottery for an increased price.[/I]
    I'm not sure this is very accurate. Most reviews I've read state that they run effortlesly at 5.2ghz (1.35v) with a simple air cooler like the mugen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I'm not sure this is very accurate. Most reviews I've read state that they run effortlesly at 5.2ghz (1.35v) with a simple air cooler like the mugen.
    And those have been delid. There is no possible way they can reach that speed with a simple air cooler without having been delid.

Google 7700k and 8700k overheating. and you will find tons upon tons of reviews about. even my own suffer greatly from it.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

And those have been delid. There is no possible way they can reach that speed with a simple air cooler without having been delid.

Google 7700k and 8700k overheating. and you will find tons upon tons of reviews about. even my own suffer greatly from it.
    You do need a high end aircooler like the Noctua D14 \ D15, or at least a 240mm AIO if you want to go beyond 5ghz on a decent 8700k, but you wont see any overheating issues unless you got a bad chip that you need to really push the voltage on. A 280mm AIO / Noctua D15 (pretty much the same in terms of cooling) can handle 1.35v / 5 - 5.1ghz without a delid, but I wouldnt go much higher than that since you risk hitting 90c in Prime95.

There are big variations between good and bad chips when it comes to 8th gen chips. Some people cant hit 5ghz unless they push 1.4v+, others can run 5ghz at 1.25v, like I can on mine. Before I delidded my chip I ran 5ghz @ 1.26v, hitting temps around 76-78c in Prime95. 5.1ghz at 1.34v was around 87 - 89c in P95 - all on a 280mm EVGA AIO.

After I delidded it, I'm running 5.1ghz @ 1.35v as my 24\7 OC, getting 75c-ish in P95. It is stable at 5.2ghz at 1.41-42v @ 85c, and I can get 5.3ghz fairly stable as well at 1.44v-ish, but it only lasts like 5 minutes in Prime95. Not very useful, but always fun to get a 1730 Cinebench score, which is the same-ish as an OC Ryzen 7
    Normal gaming temps are like 10-20c lower than the P95 temps, both before and after delid.

Keep in mind that the average chip wont go past 5.1ghz, with most of em ending up at 5ghz. 5.2ghz is considered a golden chip and isnt something you should expect.
    I would be sad if my chip wouldnt hit 5ghz though, but even at 4.8-4.9ghz, youll have a chip that is way better for gaming than anything AMD can throw at it, for now at least.

Anyways, point is - 7700k and 8700k are perfectly fine without a delid as long as you dont push beyond 5ghz at 1.35v. Not recommending the best gaming chips because they can get hot at 5ghz, which is a great overclock, is silly. Just keep in mind that you cant use crap like the Evo 212 if you want to hit 5ghz, you need a beefy aircooler\AIO for those clocks.

No, not delid.

I should receive mine tomorrow, I'll keep ya posted.