Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I don't know what criteria these things are judged on but evidence suggests it's a load of shit designed to put money in some individuals pockets than reflect "actual" cultural capitals. See: Liverpool won once. I'll say no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    2023 is Hungary.. what about their cities?

So, if you get told you cannot participate, don't buy a damn lottery ticket.
    Besides its been Dundee, Leeds, Milton Keynes, Nottingham and a joint bid from Northern Irish cities Belfast, Derry and Strabane.
    Given how only one could be the nominee, all others would have invested for nothing anyway.
    That the bolded was even in the shortlist should be a massive alarm bell that this is a very very extreme definition of "culture" - like "thriving bacteria" or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMin View Post
    Regardless of all the EU-fanbois on here, blowing the trumpet and calling everyone else stupid.
    But that's thing... There's people who aren't stupid and understand what the EU is and does, and then there are people who are stupid and love to circle jerk of about some imaginary Rule Britannia and Islamophobic nonsense.

There's no middle ground. There's not stupid and stupid. And your side is stupid. I know it bothers you deep down, that's why you keep ranting and raving about the "evulz" of elitists experts and those who understand the long words those experts like to use. It is also the reason why no amount of arguments or facts will ever fucking change your mind, like if an expert told you that your house is on fire you would go -Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuk U! Leave means leave! or the US version -Trump is Presidunt!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I don't know what criteria these things are judged on but evidence suggests it's a load of shit designed to put money in some individuals pockets than reflect "actual" cultural capitals. See: Liverpool won once. I'll say no more.
    It is actually intended as such. It is an opportunity to bring money into lesser known cities and communities, to elevate their sights and history and to channel EU funds into restoration, local businesses etc. The point isn't to bring more money to cities that are already doing fine. Otherwise the event would be a circle jerk between Rome, Paris, Madrid, London and Berlin.

You know that evil and corrupt and undemocratic EU channeling funds into Liverpool's businesses and local administration. How corrupt, evil and malicious.

I remember back in 2007 I was working on a project in Romania, that year one of the Romanian cities called Sibiu hosted the event. I never heard of the city, knew what it was, but it was advertised heavily and as I was in the area I did actually spend a couple of days visiting the place. It was a very interesting and beautiful place, I remember I have been told that the event was a significant turn around for the city that for years has been bleeding population and was on the decline. The incoming EU funding and investment from the national government turned the city around and made it one of the "examples to follow" in Romania.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2017-11-24 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    You know that evil and corrupt and undemocratic EU channeling funds into Liverpool's businesses and local administration. How corrupt, evil and malicious.
    They should label it appropriately then. "Renaissance City" would bridge the gap maybe.

Also I think you may have mis-judged the tone of your reply, I'm pro Europe and don't need to go nearly as far as Liverpool to see multi-million pound EU funding, its just down the road from me
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Leeds was remain at 50.3, but fuck Leeds tbh, they can keep it.
    Leeds was one of the cities that wanted to become European Capital of Culture, as was Dunee (which voted out).

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    The hardcore pan-European statists ITT are deluding themselves. Please do keep coming down hard on European countries that don't bend the knee and kiss the ring when Brussels speaks. You are your own worst enemies.

Maybe Poland will be next. Polexit? The current Polish government is asserting their national character and protecting their sovereignty? The horror!

In any case, the US will never permit any kind of existential threat to the UK. Whatever our differences, they are family. Betting against the US/UK relationship is a losing proposition.
    US native here.

I wouldn't count on this country for much. You're making a mistake if you do.

Dunno if an actual Civil War is coming but from December on, the political climate here is going to be teetering on a knife's edge and i am not convinced there will be peaceful resolution.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds to me like the EU is being racist towards the Brits.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    But that's thing... There's people who aren't stupid and understand what the EU is and does, and then there are people who are stupid and love to circle jerk of about some imaginary Rule Britannia and Islamophobic nonsense.

There's no middle ground. There's not stupid and stupid. And your side is stupid. I know it bothers you deep down, that's why you keep ranting and raving about the "evulz" of elitists experts and those who understand the long words those experts like to use. It is also the reason why no amount of arguments or facts will ever fucking change your mind, like if an expert told you that your house is on fire you would go -Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuk U! Leave means leave! or the US version -Trump is Presidunt!

- - - Updated - - -
    -Suggest EU Fanbois call people stupid.
    -EU Fanboi proceeds to call people stupid.

I dont know, point proven? You make alot of assumptions in your post, personal and more broadly. Read your post, you strike as someone who believes things blindly, led along by the mass media without ever truly wondering what is going on and why things happen. I'll leave you to it. I guess your avatar quite clearly portrays your position anyway, this debate is never going to be a debate.

Deleted
    -Suggest EU Fanbois call people stupid.
    -EU Fanboi proceeds to call people stupid.

I dont know, point proven? You make alot of assumptions in your post, personal and more broadly. Read your post, you strike as someone who believes things blindly, led along by the mass media without ever truly wondering what is going on and why things happen. I'll leave you to it. I guess your avatar quite clearly portrays your position anyway, this debate is never going to be a debate.
    Stop acting like a 12 year old.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Stop acting like a 12 year old.
    Pointing out a simple observation is something a twelve year old could do, I suppose, how else would you suggest it be done? Perhaps it was the terminology, fanboi is a rubbish word, agreed.

Deleted
    Pointing out a simple observation is something a twelve year old could do, I suppose, how else would you suggest it be done? Perhaps it was the terminology, fanboi is a rubbish word, agreed.
    Only annoying 12 year olds use the word "fanboi".
    Its atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by voidkt View Post
    Amazing how many people in here are posting shit about how people that disagree with their views & values are just ignorant retards that need to be physically assaulted and forced into, what is essentially, reeducation camps in order to "correct" their wrongthink. That these people need to suffer and the more suffering the better.
    Please list those people with quotes.
    After all, you didn't just make this up without ever reading any posts in this thread, did you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by voidkt View Post
    And I also have no respect for people who resort to blatant straw man non-arguments..
    You have no self respect?
    Regrettable but understandable after those two posts of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Please explain how it's not democratic?
    "Something something commission." (Aka in the UK we have same thing called Civil Service)

Of course they ignore that the real power in the EU is in the Elected heads of government or the elected Parliament. The second of which is highly more democratic than the UK by having a PR system in place for voting while the UK has a FPTP system where you can hold theoretically 100% of parliament with 33% of the vote, maybe even less.

What country can compete with Britain? Germans are going to collapse and are culturally destroying themselves as we speak. France has largely already gone down the road of cultural destruction and we have seen what’s happened there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    He's right about the 60's BUT the UK bombed after that, they were so weak that they weren't even allowed into the common market when they first applied.
    They weren't allowed into the common market because Charles De Gaulle had, for some mysterious reason, the idea that they would try and bugger it all up.

Wise man De Gaulle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Britain left EU not Europe
    You clearly missed this part.

The title of European Capital of Culture rotates around eligible countries.

Cities from non-EU countries have held the title before - but if a country isn't in the EU, it must be a candidate to join or must be in the European Free Trade Association or European Economic Area.
    The UK is none of those. So they aren't eligible. Now stop whining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    And the EU continues to bully anyone who doesn't toe the decisions of Germany, aka the European Commission. News at 11.
    What would be the alternative? Only sharing the benefits and not the burdens? All the EU members would be duped by the UK if that was the case.

It's only logical the one being bullied is the one standing alone, and not the entire group. Would it be fair for the UK to bully the entire EU instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadhak View Post
    How is it petty, the UK won't be part of the EU by 2020.... it's like asking for a salary from a job you have already left.
    From my understanding it's more like asking for your salary for the days you've already worked.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    From my understanding it's more like asking for your salary for the days you've already worked.
    how is that plausible ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    I have 0 respect for people that fucked up my job/company because they hate brown people.
    Sorry, but 0 respect.
    The Polish aren't brown

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Britain should be punished as much as possible. They shouldn't have left, and you cannot have all the benefits without their drawbacks of something. You are either in or not. I hope that when the trade agreements will be renegotiated, the EU will stand strict versus Britain. We cannot allow for a member that decided to simply pick up their stuff and leave to have any kind of good treatment by us.

Britain is out, and that means out. No bonuses, no special trade agreements, nothing that would be given to a country that stays in the Union. The EU could or even should be vengeful to a country like Britain that simply opted to move out of the EU, just because.
    Yeah and yet here you are speaking English because that is the most important language on this planet. They left because countries like yours are leeches that just take and add nothing of benefit.

USA needs to annex the UK, Australia, Canada, Korea and Japan and economicly and militarily crush anyone who dares to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Britain should be punished as much as possible. They shouldn't have left, and you cannot have all the benefits without their drawbacks of something. You are either in or not. I hope that when the trade agreements will be renegotiated, the EU will stand strict versus Britain. We cannot allow for a member that decided to simply pick up their stuff and leave to have any kind of good treatment by us.

Britain is out, and that means out. No bonuses, no special trade agreements, nothing that would be given to a country that stays in the Union. The EU could or even should be vengeful to a country like Britain that simply opted to move out of the EU, just because.
    sounds like britian needs to join the USA and give a big f u to eu