Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smeaton View Post
    Any thoughts on if it is worth it to build new. Currently running I5 2500k, 8g ram, R9 290 video card. Was thinking of going with I7 7700k, 1080 video card and 16 gig of ram. I mostly play WOW, is this overkill?
    Yes and only buy a new graphics card if it has twice the performance of your old R9 290.

I would wait for the Intel Core i7 9700K which will have eight cores.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-11-24 at 03:55 PM.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

10+ Year Old Account
    I say wait for next generation chip as well.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Any thoughts on if it is worth it to build new. Currently running I5 2500k, 8g ram, R9 290 video card. Was thinking of going with I7 7700k, 1080 video card and 16 gig of ram. I mostly play WOW, is this overkill?
    I was running pretty much the same. Had an i5 2500K with a nVidia 570. I upgraded the GPU to a 1070, and am pretty satisfied with how I can run WoW honestly. I set graphics at 10 (7 for raids), and rarely dip under 60 fps on a 3440/1440 monitor.

Best advice would be to try a new GPU and see the performance. If its still too slow for you, then you can get a new rig and keep that GPU.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the fast responses. My monitor is the Asus VG248 QE 144hz refresh rate, to be more specific on my build I am on the i5 2500k running at 3.3 Ghz (water cooler on it, not sure what one), a gigabyte Z68x mobo, 8 gigs of ddr3 patriot memory (667 MGHZ) with a 600W power supply and my r9 290 video card. ive noticed that my frames are getting rather low in wow even just hanging out in Dal, I tried running on ultra, but really poor frames 30-40 FPS
    Water cooler and you have not overclocked? -.-
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Well this is to show that never buy a prebuilt pc. 64gb ram and 1000w PSU? Yeah no
    Don't forget its probably a OEM Dell one, with abysmal efficiency, it's probably pushing 500w lol.

this thread has got really out of hand.

grab a 1060 (1050 ti is probably fine if wow is all you play?), overclock your cpu if you haven't. you're good for the time being really..

i wouldn't even bother buying another 8gb ram, unless you use like 100 tabs in your browser all the time?

Thank for all the replies, I ended up buying a new pc, and this one can now be handed down to kids. I ended up with new build of i7 7700k, asus prime z270-a mobo,corsair 2133 16 gigs of ram, asus 1070ti, corsair h100i v2 hydro cooler, corsair 600w 80+white power supply,with a nzxt s340 case, and Samsung 500 gig ssd. Memoery express building it for me, hope its decent the bugger set me back 2k

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank for all the replies, I ended up buying a new pc, and this one can now be handed down to kids. I ended up with new build of i7 7700k, asus prime z270-a mobo,corsair 2133 16 gigs of ram, asus 1070ti, corsair h100i v2 hydro cooler, corsair 600w 80+white power supply,with a nzxt s340 case, and Samsung 500 gig ssd. Memoery express building it for me, hope its decent the bugger set me back 2k
    er...

Why did you go for old tech? (The i7-7700K has been replaced with the i7-8700K.)
    "A flower.

well mostly it just came down to cost, I was at my budget limit, and the 7700k was on sale for $374.00 vs 489.00 at my local store

yes it really sucks, I'm in Canada and working with Canadian dollars vs American. We would have to order from amazon Canada, lowest price from amazon Canada for the i7 7700k is $363.00 the 8700k is 499.00. we cant order from amazon U.S and the currency exchange is pretty bad

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    er...

Why did you go for old tech? (The i7-7700K has been replaced with the i7-8700K.)
    so I broke down and called my store and having them build with the 8700k, and changed my mobo to the Asus prime Z370-A. Does it mater that the Ram for that MOBO is 2133 vs some other boards are at 2666. should I change mobo and ram before they build it? whats the deal on RAM?

10+ Year Old Account
    yes it really sucks, I'm in Canada and working with Canadian dollars vs American. We would have to order from amazon Canada, lowest price from amazon Canada for the i7 7700k is $363.00 the 8700k is 499.00. we cant order from amazon U.S and the currency exchange is pretty bad

- - - Updated - - -

so I broke down and called my store and having them build with the 8700k, and changed my mobo to the Asus prime Z370-A. Does it mater that the Ram for that MOBO is 2133 vs some other boards are at 2666. should I change mobo and ram before they build it? whats the deal on RAM?
    Don't worry about the RAM unless it's a negligible price difference. It makes a difference, but it's quite small.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    er...

I know I snagged a 7700k yesterday (with a cheaper mobo combo) for $300 since my 4770k is on the way out, and money is a hair tight with us having just moved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I would get a i5-8400 cpu, with a m.2 sata drive, and a 1060gtx, preferably 1070gtx(you can find them cheap on ebay). get 2x8gbs sticks of ddr4 3200mhz. MAYBE wait a few months on the gpu since the new 20xx series will be coming out early next year and there are "CLAIMS" of a huge performance increase with them.

Quote Originally Posted by wendell View Post
    Sounds Like need gaming pc. Well, I have Alienware Aurora R5. with following specs.

Processor: Intel Core i7 6700k
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
    Memory: 64GB DDR4
    Storage: 1 GB SSD, 4 TB Hard Drive
    Power Supply: 1000W PSU

Did you know 64 GB is quite enough for gaming pc. in future I will change only graphics card because I had purchased prebuild Gaming PC. So I don't Know what your budget is?

Aweyeah!
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

I've just upgraded yesterday, I was running an I5 3570k, 16gb (4x4) and a amd radeon hd 7800.......... legit thought I had a GTX 950 xD

I've gone up to I7 7700, 1080, 16gb (2x8). I mostly play wow and league but I have the occasional things I play from fable to witcher 3. Im also getting the occulus at some point. I've spent countless hours reading up, talking to people, the I7 7700 is enough for all that (granted I wanted the k series but it was out of budget)

If you can afford to get the 8700k get it. Purely for the sake of having 6 cores and future gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Weird. I got the 8700k for $399 on Amazon. Your local store sounds like a ripoff. Especially with cyber Monday coming up.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah the 7700k is under 300 on Amazon atm. You got hosed.
    310 in the uk, works out to 413 dollars. That's from ebuyer xD

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Ok. The OP was talking $ not pounds or euros. What’s your point?
    Comparison against how it's expensive here as well, funny enough I decided to do the conversion for the hell of it, nothing to do with relating it in sense of dollars,

It's an incredibly shit time to be building a PC right now if you ask me, very expensive.

Ive got an i5 2500k which Ive Oced to around the 4.5 mark on air. I have been extremely happy with the performance of the chip. Im thinking about an 8700k as well with at least 32gb of ram as the pc will be used as a virtual lab as well as a gaming pc and the 12 threads will be very good there. Im choosing to remain Intel purely for preference. That said im going to wait a bit to see if the 8700 goes on any sale. The board is easy enough but the biggest headache is the RAM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyorcborne View Post
    Ive got an i5 2500k which Ive Oced to around the 4.5 mark on air. I have been extremely happy with the performance of the chip. Im thinking about an 8700k as well with at least 32gb of ram as the pc will be used as a virtual lab as well as a gaming pc and the 12 threads will be very good there. Im choosing to remain Intel purely for preference. That said im going to wait a bit to see if the 8700 goes on any sale. The board is easy enough but the biggest headache is the RAM.
    I have no clue why you think the RAM is the biggest headache.
    "A flower.

I have no clue why you think the RAM is the biggest headache.
    Sorry i meant in the sense that it can be quite costly. RAM prices tend to be the worst.