Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why bother with competitive?

It seems to be going the way of QP lately, I placed Platinum in season 5, I was so jazzed and then season 6 rolled around placed high gold......got knocked all the way down to silver but ended in gold, this season? Placed high gold, lost 5 matches in a row due to a few leavers, trolls, and people who wouldn't play tank or support (I was a tank) which after losing 5 in a row right after placements it shoots you 1 rank down doesn't matter what your SR is.

So down to silver I go, I think to myself "Well, ok I got hammered down to silver before and climbed back up I can do it again"........and here I sit at 905 SR because of leavers, trolls, people who won't tank or heal, 1 tricks etc.

So.........wtf is the point in competitive if this is going to be the norm, where competitive is just another QP? I play to the best of my ability but when me as a healer gets gold elims, objective elims AND healing as Lucio when (on the off chance someone else heals) we have a Mercy there is a problem. I am seriously losing any positivity I had going into this, I was hoping that things would be different but at the seasons go on the worse the players become and it is becoming more aggravating than it is fun.

I love the game but the players are really starting to piss me off.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

i understand your frustration, nothing can be done about that, there will always be trolls and morons. Its rng what group you get, some of them will boost some downgrade. Anyway check forums or some discord, maby fb group and find yourself 1-2 players to joinyou it makes stuff much easier

Deleted
    You probably overestimate your skills.

Going from platinum to silver? lol And isn't 905 bronze?

No offense but I can probably reach silver/gold as Battle Mercy. I am not saying you are the only problem, I mean, with my scrub account I had to endure 3 placement matches with leavers so that is a problem that actually does happen, but I honestly can't believe you aren't a problem yourself. You are losing that much SR to that level with a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    You probably overestimate your skills.

Going from platinum to silver? lol And isn't 905 bronze?

No offense but I can probably reach silver/gold as Battle Mercy. I am not saying you are the only problem, I mean, with my scrub account I had to endure 3 placement matches with leavers so that is a problem that actually does happen, but I honestly can't believe you aren't a problem yourself. You are losing that much SR to that level with a reason.
    Yeah sorry, I am always outhealing everyone and if I play tank I always have gold elims, damage and objective time.........I can't help people that throw or leave which seems to be the norm lately, sorry but if I can actually get to Platinum I actually belong there or at least high gold, and yes 905 is bronze and all that seems to happen is loss after loss after loss, was even told today "This is my second account so I don't give a shit"....sorry you can't wrap your head around he fact that people with skills are winding up lower rank than they should be, I have seen streamers who were masters get smacked down to Platinum because of the shit I listed.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    It seems to be going the way of QP lately, I placed Platinum in season 5, I was so jazzed and then season 6 rolled around placed high gold......got knocked all the way down to silver but ended in gold, this season? Placed high gold, lost 5 matches in a row due to a few leavers, trolls, and people who wouldn't play tank or support (I was a tank) which after losing 5 in a row right after placements it shoots you 1 rank down doesn't matter what your SR is.

So down to silver I go, I think to myself "Well, ok I got hammered down to silver before and climbed back up I can do it again"........and here I sit at 905 SR because of leavers, trolls, people who won't tank or heal, 1 tricks etc.

So.........wtf is the point in competitive if this is going to be the norm, where competitive is just another QP? I play to the best of my ability but when me as a healer gets gold elims, objective elims AND healing as Lucio when (on the off chance someone else heals) we have a Mercy there is a problem. I am seriously losing any positivity I had going into this, I was hoping that things would be different but at the seasons go on the worse the players become and it is becoming more aggravating than it is fun.

Find people you like to play with and put them on your friends list. If you rely on a random group finder then you get random groups and randomly people are bad. This is on you, you have to take your group mates into your own hands.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Find people you like to play with and put them on your friends list. If you rely on a random group finder then you get random groups and randomly people are bad. This is on you, you have to take your group mates into your own hands.
    Grouping only works so far, the way SR works people outrank each other quickly especially if they don't only play when you do which also brings the point of varying times, not everyone can play when others do, personally I think they should implement a clan system or something.

Grouping only works so far, the way SR works people outrank each other quickly especially if they don't only play when you do which also brings the point of varying times, not everyone can play when others do, personally I think they should implement a clan system or something.
    Thats why when you see someone you think is a good player you friend them, get a list of lots of people who are good and invite them when you log on, if they turn out to be bad clean your friend list.

this is a problem you yourself can solve.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2017-11-25 at 05:25 AM.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Thats why when you see someone you think is a good player you friend them, get a list of lots of people who are good and invite them when you log on, if they turn out to be bad clean your friend list.

this is a problem you yourself can solve.
    I'm terrible at gathering the courage to talk to people, let alone friend them. Still, I agree with this. You alone have the power to fix the problems you're having with competitive. As for me, I'll stick to solo queue and just take my licks because my social skills are garbage.

because comp gives you gold guns and no other mode does

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah competitive is completly broken. I once dropped down to 1500 due to trolls and horrible picks. Finally got back to 2600 next season, and i wont really push higher. If I can keep platinum for golden guns I'm fine with comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    This season in particular is borderline unplayable for me without some kind of premade. An overhaul of the SR system and less emphasis on wins would really be an outstanding thing for the game, since policing online communities is impossible.
    Its very easy to police communities but society reached a point about 40-50 years ago where the expertise is lost. In a very literal sense, up is down. The traits we select for when choosing people for our communities are now the wrong ones. Everything we believe to be true is now wrong.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Yeah competitive is completly broken. I once dropped down to 1500 due to trolls and horrible picks. Finally got back to 2600 next season, and i wont really push higher. If I can keep platinum for golden guns I'm fine with comp.
    Do you not get the points of your season high?

I have a lot of bad games where we have triple dps insta locks and none of them can shoot, but also have games of 5 insta lock dps that know what they are doing and i sit on payload while they run off and come back to me for some healing. comps don't really matter TOOoo much, have fun let people do what they are happy with.
    The worst problem i have is at my sr i keep running into teams that are 4 or 5 healer mains, and none can shoot. (I'm one of them) - I hate quick play, none seem to even care that its a team game just run around trying to kill stuff. its hard to learn anything from that so i cant practice shooting, I don't want an alt account just for dpsing. I'm sure it would end up low bronze.
    Best soln would be to find some friends to play with, either on discords or in game, then get yourself up to gold again just by partying. You wont win everyone but if you have a party of 3, a tank a healer and 1 good dps. then its probs easier then hoping on rng. I really hope they had something into the game that lets people search for groups and arrange the group Before the game. that why if it does not work you can disband and search again. Wont be perfect, Will lengthen queue times but i think i would be happy for better quality games.

Yeah sorry, I am always outhealing everyone and if I play tank I always have gold elims, damage and objective time.........I can't help people that throw or leave which seems to be the norm lately, sorry but if I can actually get to Platinum I actually belong there or at least high gold, and yes 905 is bronze and all that seems to happen is loss after loss after loss, was even told today "This is my second account so I don't give a shit"....sorry you can't wrap your head around he fact that people with skills are winding up lower rank than they should be, I have seen streamers who were masters get smacked down to Platinum because of the shit I listed.
    Want some real advice? Just accept you're not good, but that situation is not forever. Always ask at the end of every-game 'what could I have done to make us win?'.

The biggest issue I see is your strategy, that is, I see the word Mercy. Certain roles have more carry potential at certain ranks. The easiest way to win is to kill everyone (I know, but stay with me), it's easier to kill worse people.

If you spend sometime working on your aim and DPS tactics, spamming something like Soldier:76 (assuming he's still good, been a while since I played) is fairly easy ELO at lower levels. Disorganized teams are easy to flank and crumble under pressure. Damage is pressure, inept damage dealers don't create enough space or force the enemy into making mistakes, which is again a lot easier to force out of less experienced/competent players. Supporting people who can't create pressure is the worst of all possible choices, you're essentially removing two people from your team.

You'll get to an equilibrium point where the enemy DD's can either compete with you, or outright outduel you, that's when you either: Switch tactics and go back to support or continue to sharpen your DPS skills.

Yes, you will have leavers, throwers and trolls. But remember there is more chance for them to appear on the enemy team than yours, assuming you never throw deliberately. Even with those anchors, you can still win outnumbered, especially if you're in a role that can carry especially at lower ranks where skill disparities can colossal.

This is all assuming you're interesting in grinding your rank, if you're looking to carry inept DD's in Bronze, by playing Mercy...just use your pistol.

Friends help too, but they can impede improving your individual skill level as you become reliant on the tactics developed to win rather than...just out-shooting everyone or having good game sense, etc.

If you were looking for some sympathy, eh, sucks dude.
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2017-11-29 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Clarity!

Deleted

Comp isn't the same as QP, SR generally reflects your personal ability quite well. On top of that, bragging rights for ranks + golden guns.
    On top of that, more organized comp games are far more fun than QP, winning a tough game is very fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    Want some real advice? Just accept you're not good, but that situation is not forever. Always ask at the end of every-game 'what could I have done to make us win?'.

The biggest issue I see is your strategy, that is, I see the word Mercy. Certain roles have more carry potential at certain ranks. The easiest way to win is to kill everyone (I know, but stay with me), it's easier to kill worse people.

If you spend sometime working on your aim and DPS tactics, spamming something like Soldier:76 (assuming he's still good, been a while since I played) is fairly easy ELO at lower levels. Disorganized teams are easy to flank and crumble under pressure. Damage is pressure, inept damage dealers don't create enough space or force the enemy into making mistakes, which is again a lot easier to force out of less experienced/competent players. Supporting people who can't create pressure is the worst of all possible choices, you're essentially removing two people from your team.

You'll get to an equilibrium point where the enemy DD's can either compete with you, or outright outduel you, that's when you either: Switch tactics and go back to support or continue to sharpen your DPS skills.

Yes, you will have leavers, throwers and trolls. But remember there is more chance for them to appear on the enemy team than yours, assuming you never throw deliberately. Even with those anchors, you can still win outnumbered, especially if you're in a role that can carry especially at lower ranks where skill disparities can colossal.

This is all assuming you're interesting in grinding your rank, if you're looking to carry inept DD's in Bronze, by playing Mercy...just use your pistol.

Friends help too, but they can impede improving your individual skill level as you become reliant on the tactics developed to win rather than...just out-shooting everyone or having good game sense, etc.

If you were looking for some sympathy, eh, sucks dude.
    I will just leave you with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnQqgYM1Yhc

Comp is for people who enjoy playing competitively. It should not be meant for anything else. Even Jeff himself has said he dislikes that they put golden weapon rewards in comp because it attracts a bunch of people who have no interest in what comp is supposed to be.

I will just leave you with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnQqgYM1Yhc
    Yeah I'm familiar with Rag Tagg, I like him. His reasons (shit games aren't fun, comp produces shit games) is 100% valid, if that is your reason, so be it, nothing you can do about not having fun.

But his concerns appear to be only partially analogous with yours. You spent most of your posts talking about your rank and your skills. That gave me the impression that's what you care about - i.e. rank - which is something you can control. It gets harder as you progress and from memory Ragg Tagg is Master? So 1vXing becomes a lot harder. His room for carry potential is a lot lower than yours.

If the intention was to use your rank/skills as a vehicle for explaining why ranked is not fun for you...it was unclear as your speech about what you 'deserve' definitely took front and center.

For what it's worth, I actually quit Overwatch for the same reasons Rag Tagg quit comp, I don't find comp fun, I never really did, the community is unpleasant. I've played a lot of 'solo queue' popular games over the years and Overwatch was consistently the worst, at ALL ELOs. So I got what I was after and I was donezo. Like I said last post, eh, sucks dude, good game mired by shitty people.

Off-Topic: This game has performance based MMR? Oh jesus. When did that get included?
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2017-11-30 at 04:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    Yeah I'm familiar with Rag Tagg, I like him. His reasons (shit games aren't fun, comp produces shit games) is 100% valid, if that is your reason, so be it, nothing you can do about not having fun.

But his concerns appear to be only partially analogous with yours. You spent most of your posts talking about your rank and your skills. That gave me the impression that's what you care about - i.e. rank - which is something you can control. It gets harder as you progress and from memory Ragg Tagg is Master? So 1vXing becomes a lot harder. His room for carry potential is a lot lower than yours.

If the intention was to use your rank/skills as a vehicle for explaining why ranked is not fun for you...it was unclear as your speech about what you 'deserve' definitely took front and center.

For what it's worth, I actually quit Overwatch for the same reasons Rag Tagg quit comp, I don't find comp fun, I never really did, the community is unpleasant. I've played a lot of 'solo queue' popular games over the years and Overwatch was consistently the worst, at ALL ELOs. So I got what I was after and I was donezo. Like I said last post, eh, sucks dude, good game mired by shitty people.

Off-Topic: This game has performance based MMR? Oh jesus. When did that get included?
    Actually my point was no matter how good you are if the team is horrible and the other team is good you can not carry, and this season it is REALLY bad, like it is worse than rolling dice to see if you will win or lose......oh and Ragtagg is Diamond

Competitive needs a WoW queue system... Tank x2, Healer x2, DPS x2. Notice I said Healer not Support and DPS not Attack/ Defense. There should even be an option to Queue as Flex which puts you queued into whichever role is needed. If you queue as a Tank you can only select from Tanks...

Just a thought
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

I gave up on it. Wasn't fun anymore and toxicity is really hurting that game. Arcade is more fun for me now.