Deleted

Angry "Modern Graphics" What???

What is "modern graphic" supposed to mean to you? I've seen big confusion about it.

For me, "graphic" means: screen resolution, refresh rate, view distance.
    For me "graphic" doesn't NOT mean: new models, new animations, new architecture(models and textures). When I talk about that, I say "models" or "animations".
    For me, "graphic" also doesn't not mean spell effects.

Yes, all combined is in a graphic category, but the term "graphic" describes everything we see on screen and it's too big of a deal and you can't throw all of those things together in one pack and ask people if they want new or old graphic. Because personally, I want support for newer monitors and increased view distance, but I do NOT want new models with new animations. Not even as optional, because I would hate if someone else sees my own characters differently than I see them by myself. New models just simply looks too different while anti-aliasing just increases model smoothness. Big difference.

So could we start to differentiate those things in poll questions please?

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Modern resolutions are fine.

New models/landscape/effects/spells are an entire different ballgame.

Armor sets will still look like poop to current standards so might as well keep the rest of the art original.

New player models in old armor, no thanks.

Shadows/View distance/Light+WaterShaders are debatable. But feel part of "effects".
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-11-25 at 01:34 AM.

Deleted
    graphic
    ˈɡrafɪk/
    adjective
    adjective: graphic

relating to visual art, especially involving drawing, engraving, or lettering.
    "his mature graphic work"
    sinónimos: visual, symbolic, pictorial, depictive, illustrative, diagrammatic, drawn, written, in writing, delineative
    "writing is a graphic representation of language"
    Computing
    relating to or denoting a visual image.
    "graphic information such as charts and diagrams"
    giving clear and vividly explicit details.
    "a graphic account of the riots"
    sinónimos: vivid, explicit, expressive, detailed, uninhibited, striking, forceful, powerful, punchy;
    lively, colourful, highly coloured, rich;
    lurid, shocking, startling;
    cogent, clear, lucid;
    realistic, descriptive, illustrative, pictorial, well defined, well delineated, well drawn, well expressed, photographic;
    telling, effective
    "a graphic account of the horrors of war"
    antónimos: vague, softened
    of or in the form of a graph.
    Geology
    of or denoting rocks having a surface texture resembling cuneiform writing.

nounComputing
    noun: graphic; plural noun: graphics

a graphical item displayed on a screen or stored as data.
    sinónimos: picture, illustration, image;
    I can see how several parts of this definition would fit new models, animations and the like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionexe View Post
    What is "modern graphic" supposed to mean to you? I've seen big confusion about it.

There isn't really confusion. Your definition is wrong. All those things are entirely independent of the game, and will show up differently for everyone. Your resolution didn't go up as the game advanced through the expansions. The games graphics did.

No, because there's not really much confusion about it.

To be clear, older areas/models/zones have lower polygon counts. Newer stuff has higher/better graphics.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Because personally, I want support for newer monitors and increased view distance, but I do NOT want new models with new animations. Not even as optional, because I would hate if someone else sees my own characters differently than I see them by myself.
    Just wow, this is one self centered oppinion. So just because you want it to look old, everyone else also has to be denied the option to make it look better, even if it does not affect you in the slightest? Thats an amazing stance in a discussion where the community should actually try to find common ground..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by heinz0r View Post
    Just wow, this is one self centered oppinion. So just because you want it to look old, everyone else also has to be denied the option to make it look better, even if it does not affect you in the slightest? Thats an amazing stance in a discussion where the community should actually try to find common ground..
    In MMORPG your character appearance matters. For the same reason they don't allow tMorphing your character. Valve also doesn't allow servers which offers paid weapon skins for free in CS:GO.
    Visual appearance is a part of the game and I would want my characters to be seen the way I want them to be seen. You do the same for yours.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    In MMORPG your character appearance matters. For the same reason they don't allow tMorphing your character. Valve also doesn't allow servers which offers paid weapon skins for free in CS:GO.
    Visual appearance is a part of the game and I would want my characters to be seen the way I want them to be seen. You do the same for yours.
    I agree I'd hate "toggle new and old" , in a game that had only 1 option, the armor looks crap anyway(2017 standards), so I don't need new player or npc models for sure.

It's not about denying better models for whoever, it's about being closer to the original which is the intent, not a remaster but a preservation.

But I aint gonna say you can't play 4k or whatever to modern standards, that's not changing the game itself.

Reason I don't use old char models in Legion cause I expect hardly anyone to use that anyway, and most faces look entirely different.

And legion is the version for future development and I'd love to see old gnolls and other 2004 or earlier models to be modernized but only in Legion/BfA.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-11-25 at 02:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really liked the original WoW design aesthetic; the sort of blend of almost-cartoon with, at the same time, a sort of realistic-feeling grit, with a layer of high-fantasy over all of it really worked for me - it was charming and fun to watch and play. Since then, WoW has stepped away from that original aesthetic, one little step at a time - the current design with it's mix of over-the-top lightshows and the (ugh) new models are not something I find appealing (they make it look more like a MOBA, which, to be fair, it more than half-way is). In short, I'll be fine with the graphics unchanged, or with minor bugs fixed, and/or with better framerate, etc... but new models are a breaking point - I have zero interest in playing any game WoW's current graphics.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

The matter of appearance matters is probably a split between two sides of the coin in the playerbase. A toggle for updated models would not affect how your model is perceived because the devs did a pretty good job of preserving the spirit of older clothing items, I believe they mostly even kept those older vanilla armors etc the way they were anyways.

Other players still see a weird non matching coloured clown when youre in levelling gear, while they also see the full BWL equipped warlock with the purple+green horned armor despite them being a bit sharper looking. Your "NO! I want them to look at crappy graphics because thats how I look on my screen!" is pure ego, nothing else.

For me "graphic" doesn't NOT mean: new models, new animations, new architecture(models and textures). When I talk about that, I say "models" or "animations".

Yes, all combined is in a graphic category, but the term "graphic" describes everything we see on screen and it's too big of a deal and you can't throw all of those things together in one pack and ask people if they want new or old graphic. Because personally, I want support for newer monitors and increased view distance, but I do NOT want new models with new animations. Not even as optional, because I would hate if someone else sees my own characters differently than I see them by myself. New models just simply looks too different while anti-aliasing just increases model smoothness. Big difference.

This is a non-Issue. Modern graphics means modern animations and models. There is zero need to make a differentiation. I disagree with you, I think modern graphics should be optional.

- - - Updated - - -

Valve also doesn't allow servers which offers paid weapon skins for free in CS:GO.
    Yes there is a gazillion of servers who give you glove/knife/weapon skins for free. They allow it, even though they say otherwise.

I suggest you educate yourself as to the definition of "graphics", because what you consider graphics are not actually graphics, while everything you consider to not be graphics actually are graphics. Resolution, and especially refresh rate and view distance, are not graphical elements. They are important visual/game play elements, but are not in any graphics. Graphics are the art in the game, whether that be textures, models (character or otherwise) animations, etc. Those are graphics.

You can say all day that you don't agree with those definition, and graphics mean something else to you, that doesn't make you any less wrong in your assertion. It's like saying "to me a tomato is a vegetable", yet saying that does not change the fact that a tomato is actually a fruit. It may be served along side other vegetables, just like things like refresh rate and view distance are important visual aspects, but it doesn't change what they are.
    Cooler Master H500P Mesh | i7 8700K@5GHz | CLC 280 | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4@3000MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | Samsung EVO 960 500GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | WD Black 3TB | AOC G2460PF 144Hz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I really liked the original WoW design aesthetic; the sort of blend of almost-cartoon with, at the same time, a sort of realistic-feeling grit, with a layer of high-fantasy over all of it really worked for me - it was charming and fun to watch and play. Since then, WoW has stepped away from that original aesthetic, one little step at a time - the current design with it's mix of over-the-top lightshows and the (ugh) new models are not something I find appealing (they make it look more like a MOBA, which, to be fair, it more than half-way is). In short, I'll be fine with the graphics unchanged, or with minor bugs fixed, and/or with better framerate, etc... but new models are a breaking point - I have zero interest in playing any game WoW's current graphics.
    I disagree on that point. WoW for me still has that cartoony/realism blend, and while some of the spell effects are a bit over the top, it often still fits the exaggeration you'd find in cartoons, or fantasy settings.

The new models don't all fit in the cartoony category, but they still fit the fantasy setting really well. Gnomes especially, even though most people seem to hate them, are still the most cartoony out of the bunch with their exaggerated movements and expressive facial animations. Other races try that as well and kind of fail in that aspect... I'M LOOKINGH AT YOU NIGHTELF DANCEKISSY FACE OF DREAD!!!

But yeah, I can understand where people are coming from. No matter what, a single answer will never be easy to find.