Page 1 of 3
LastLast

‘I’m not usually scared:’ Exterminator fought monstrous hornet nest

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...186395673.html

He was well protected by a beekeeping suit, and armed with a shovel to hack away at the monstrous hornets’ nest.

“We got here, what I would say, is the granddaddy of all hornets’ nests,” Jude Verret, a Louisiana exterminator, said as he headed into a shed in Patterson, La., to clear a nest of Europan Yellow Jackets.

Beyond physical protection, Verret must have been armed with quite a bit of courage, given the sheer size of the nest — and the million or more hornets he said were swarming around inside.

Verret recorded the entire encounter on video. As Verret walks toward the wasp-infested shed in the video he posted on Facebook, the constant, deafening drone of the yellow jackets nearly drowns out his narration of what he’s doing.

Never miss a local story.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

“I’m actually not usually scared,” Verret said in the video.

Exterminator Uses GoPro to Show What Itâ??s Really Like Removing Hornetsâ?? Nest

Then again, most nests aren’t quite this colossal, Verret told the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

This nest was “refrigerator-sized,” he told “Inside Edition,” guessing that the sprawling nest was likely home to more than a million hornets.

As he entered the shed, yellow and black striped insects start to swarm and thwack against his protective suit, creating a din that sounds like torrential rain thudding against a tin roof. Their small bodies become huge as they fly into the GoPro camera Verret brought along to record his 45-minute extermination.

Luckily for Verret, who has been a licensed exterminator for 12 years, he wasn’t stung at all during the process, he told the Times-Picayune.

“I usually get stung,” Verret told the newspaper. “But this time, no, I lucked out.”

More than 900 people in the U.S. died between 1999 and 2014 after getting too near hornets, wasps or bees, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data cited by CNN.

“[W]hen you’re looking at attacks from wild animals only, the most common cause of death are due to venomous animals, like wasps or bees,” Dr. Joseph Forrester, a Stanford University surgeon who has studied animal-related fatalities, told CNN. “I think people have in their mind that the most dangerous animals are cougars, bears or alligators, but a bee is more dangerous if a person is predisposed to a reaction.”

A large number of those deaths are the result of allergies: As many as 90 to 100 Americans die from allergic reactions to insect stings each year, according to the CDC.

Even for those who aren’t allergic, though, bee or hornet stings can be excruciating. From Verret’s perspective, the stings from the European Yellow Jackets he was exterminating are more painful than most.

“They’re bad, terrible,” Verret told the Times-Picayune of the insects. “There’s nothing good about them, I don’t think.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...#storylink=cpy
    Just watching this video made my butthole pucker
    Last edited by Theinquisition; 2017-11-25 at 06:37 PM.

When you got a nest the size of a Prius, you might as well just bring in a flamethrower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else get that feeling to scrunch your neck while listening to that audio?

Mother of god. Someone give that guy a medal.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, fuck that mate.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

10+ Year Old Account
    I laughed when rolled up with only one can of spray.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Watching this gave me shivers. Those hornets were pissed!

I'm afraid of one spider. The type of girlish scream I'd let out would be one for the ages.

Imagine stumbling across a nest like that and not realizing until it is too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexosaurus View Post
    Mother of god. Someone give that guy a medal.
    This. So much this. Forget storming Sword Beach. THIS is medal worthy.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

All of my nopes.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    This. So much this. Forget storming Sword Beach. THIS is medal worthy.
    What if instead of bunkers filled with nazis it would have been bunkers filled with hornet nests?

Deleted
    Strangely satisfying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine the response before he got there when some poor victim opened the door of that shed.

Hey, at least the hornets weren't like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    What if instead of bunkers filled with nazis it would have been bunkers filled with hornet nests?
    We'd all be speaking German right now cause there's not enough courage in existence to face something like that.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

The sound of those things thunking against the camera like rain is pretty crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Imagine the response before he got there when some poor victim opened the door of that shed.
    It looked like they'd built the nest around the open door already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats where you grab a flame thrower and burn the entire thing down.

o.O

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Pshh whatever, he was wearing a suit.

THIS is butthole-puckering:

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...186395673.html

Fuck that shit.