Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by fotmyo View Post
    Driverless will only work if all cars are driverless and communicating with eachother.
    i dont know why people think half the cars will be driven by humans. once we have true driver less cars nobody will be allowed to manually drive on roads. it would be too risky.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Yeah but think of it like this. If I'm coming around a mountain bend driving alone and someone in the oncoming lane has drifted into my lane, and it's full of a family of five, I'm going to swerve away from the cliff and impact them directly, and there will probably be injuries, and yes, there could possibly be death. But in this scenario, what if my computer decides it needs to save the family of five from risk of death, and just swerves off the cliff? And then the whole way down I'm probably going to be really sad.

The computer is basically deciding to kill me based on a percentage of likelihood of death by the other occupants.
    not sure if serious

this is really a problem to the unintelligent?

7+ Year Old Account
    Won't be an issue in my lifetime, as I'll never own a self-driving car. Don't particularly care what happens once I'm gone. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    No thank you, please leave your driverless traffic machine off the road if it's going to impede traffic by slowing down for no reason.
    "I can't see what's ahead" is not "no reason".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    They can ask you to sign an agreement that with parameters the driver is responsible. The end.
    Those agreements only hold up in court some of the time. Hold Harmless agreements can be (and have been) tossed out.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I think the example is a bit flawed as what will likely happen is that all driverless cars will be programmed to make decisions that are in the best interests of the passenger in mind, and most programmed responses will be to avoid impact.

In my opinion, this is for the best. In real life situations like the one in the OP, most people act in their own-self interest.
    Driverless will only work if all cars are driverless and communicating with eachother.
    I think this is the inevitable outcome, to be honest. The example in the OP will be one reason why that may be.

Phoenix has been a test city for driverless cars for a few rounds of testing. I have seen them on the freeways and driving in town and the only real problem I have seen is the reaction by people when an empty car or a car with 1 person sitting in the passenger seat or in the back zips by.

When it comes down to accidents now the people behind the wheel currently decide who lives and dies even if it is just a blink of an eye reaction. This is no different then a google car doing it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    No machine or man should decides who lives or dies but me.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    It would be like that Will Smith movie but if the rare case happens, and upon both equal individuals, the computer should take the highest % chance of saving a live.

10+ Year Old Account
    If all cars on the road have a shelf driving system then this would be less of a problem. Even if you decided that you wanted to drive, then the car can use this system to stop and prevent accidents. The real problem is when we have monkeys behind the wheel of cars without this system. At that point cars that self drive may have to make these decisions cause monkeys don't belong behind the wheel of a car.

like hot tub machine 2?

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    This is a good point. The entire premise of self-driving cars is that scenarios such as the OP do not occur. This is a what-if scenario that's very existence admits several unlikely failures that preface it.

But even then, in the scenario itself I would trust the incredibly advanced technology to make a shit situation the absolute best it can be (even if it results in my death) vs me trying to navigate it manually and killing myself and the other passengers as well.
    when you are as smart as you and i you have to figure into the equation of the lesser man. and by that i mean the OP and a few to follow. there is millions if not billions like him. in the end it means dick, but it may take longer to get there especially if we kept letting these assholes vote in people like trump.

7+ Year Old Account
    See, the answer is simple: the occupants of the car some first.