Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    For me it would be IQ- Intelligent Qube for the PS One and A Boy and His Blob for the NES.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Shadow Hearts Covenant, easily the greatest JRPG ever made. It was just TOO ahead of it's time though, and languished in relative obscurity. If it was released now, even as a small indie RPG, it would sell MILLIONS, with laughable ease.
    Dear god yes! All of the yes!

Dark Earth by Microprose from 1997

a true action/adventure game hybrid and one with rare levels of freedom. most puzzles had multiple solutions (and not just brains or brawn, although that's a common choice) and different decisions could have ramifications on the plot and difficulty. you can also decide whether to focus on trying to cure your infection or embrace the transformation into a monster (the latter making interaction with npcs a tad difficult but offering some combat advantages)
    there were also a few comedy bits (often on the theme of misunderstandings of our present day tech and culture from the perspective of a post apocalypse future) and as far as I remember the story was very good

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    For me one that springs to mind is always Shadows of Memories -or Destiny...
    definitely a great game. highly replayable and every play reveals a bit more of the full story with some surprising twists. sadly it's a pain to get working in Windows 7 and onwards (or at least it was a few years ago when I had to use a dual boot of XP to play it) but well worth the messing about. they also made a 'spiritual sequel' Time Hollow for the DS which is pretty good too, but not up to the same standards
    Last edited by rayvio; 2017-11-26 at 02:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Any of the Wing Commander series, but I have a soft spot for Privateer in particular. It was just different for the time. You could follow the campaign or just do whatever you wanted. You could run drugs as a pirate, blow up ships and use a tractor beam to bring their cargo aboard (and sell), or run trade routes. You could be a bounty hunter/mercenary, too. Your actions in the world had consequences. You might end up being hunted by the military, or being a hero, etc.

A close second for me goes way back to Starflight for the PC, though this one is pretty old.

You had to manage your ship and resources, train your crew, and so on. There were tons and tons of planets to land on and explore. The end of the campaign was quite the twist.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    definitely a great game. highly replayable and every play reveals a bit more of the full story with some surprising twists. sadly it's a pain to get working in Windows 7 and onwards (or at least it was a few years ago when I had to use a dual boot of XP to play it) but well worth the messing about. they also made a 'spiritual sequel' Time Hollow for the DS which is pretty good too, but not up to the same standards
    I didn't even know it had a pc release, but found it again last night for ps2 online for 85p, thank god that gen suffered from overproduction of games

Sid Meier's Covert Action - Hard to explain. Lots of mini-games all tied together well where you try and track down enemy agents and stop all kinds of bad stuff from happening. It used a fantastic randomizer so that no two games really played the same. Graphics are obviously dated, but I'd love to see someone do a remake of this.
    No One Lives Forever - Really good FPS with great humor that seemed to have slid under the radar of many.
    Tron 2.0 - Solid FPS set in the Tron universe, and plays more like a sequel to the original movie than the more recent abomination.

I'd add Outcast, but they just released a remastered version on Steam.

Little Big Adventure 1 and 2

and

The Monkey Island series, MDK, Aquanox

Quote Originally Posted by Thandrend View Post

One of the coolest and mind-fucking games of all time. Had some insanely cool ideas for its day and was in my opinion, much more dark and eerie than any of the other horror games at the time. Plus there's a ton of Lovecraft references.

/e: If I'm not mistaken, it's the first game that incorporated a "sanity meter" that as it got lower, you started seeing different things from what were really happening. There's a time where you believe you see a woman in a bathtub filled with her own blood but you snap out of it, and she's not there anymore.
    The best parts were 4th-wall breaking, stuff like claiming your controller was disconnected or turning the volume down with on-screen display so you thought you sat on the remote.

The riddle of master lu, for those interested in point and click adventures with occasional FMV. But I guess it will be hard to get into it these days with it's post-stamp resolution on modern machines - and it being a giant pain in the ass even back in the day and barely running in a native DOS enviroment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lords of the realm II. An awesome mix of kingdom management and RTS with castle sieges. They did make a III a few years back but they changed it so drastically it was barely recognizable and was pretty bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a few more;
    Hunter Hunted

Didn't get much attention because it was rated terribly. Kind of sad.

POD

Played the shit out of this racing game when I grew up.

and then this special one
    Baten Kaitos

The English voice acting...yeah...Aside from that, was definitely a fun game. First game I ever saw for the Gamecube that had two discs, too.

- - - Updated - - -

And lastly, an honorable mention
    Warlocked

Nintendo's answer to Warcraft for the GBC. Apparently the battery still works in my copy.
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2017-11-27 at 04:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Power Stone 1 and 2

I would be happy with an HD remake.

Also Skies of Arcadia since I bought up Dreamcast.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Abuse, MS Dos, 1996.

I remember finding this on a demo cd included with some pc magazine.
    It's somewhat of a Contra / Metroid crossover. Even though I only had the demo, I often think of how awesome this game was when discussing retro games.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh come on, do none of you have a childhood?
    I have a couple that are must plays, especially WAR OF THE FUCKING MONSTERS. One of my favorite games of all time.

Couple others that I really enjoyed when I was younger.

Just an amazing game.

One of my alltime favorites despite not playing the full game. Only got to play the demo as a child and my god, fell in love with it.

And these two are games me and my brother would play the hell out of together.

and

This thread was literally made for me. I've got more i'll have to think of in the meantime.

Definitely makes it on my list. Such an amazing RTS, would love a remake.

Countless hours of getting my ass whooped by my eldest brother. Can't forget this one.

Last one I promise but this one was amazing.
    Last edited by BarelyLegalBear; 2017-11-27 at 08:56 AM. Reason: too many great games

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonitar View Post
    Definitely. I even got the original box still though the map pack CD I have somehow misplaced.

Also:

Jagged Alliance 2
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    Probably my favorite game of all time is Dark Alliance Baulders Gate. The graphics hold up shockingly well and arguably look better than most games made years after it. The controls, talent system, unique boss fights, leveling, gear, environment, and story are all fantastic. Don't see much talk about it!
    Them innkeeper 'assets'

It's a shame they didn't make a third one, looks as though they planned it to go to an Egyptian setting.
    Dark Alliance 1 and 2 plus Champions of Norrath (until the disc stopped reading), I put so many hours into those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonitar View Post
    One of the best games ever made, it would be amazing if they did a remastered/remake of it
    Last edited by Lollis; 2017-11-27 at 09:32 AM.
    Speciation Is Gradual