Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So it seems like there are 3 camps;

People who wanted vanilla WoW.
    People who wanted vanilla WoW with a ton of changes/updates - thus making it Neapolitan WoW.
    People who never thought about vanilla WoW, other than in passing when some old fogey would mention how great it was and then proceed to dismiss them as dumb and looking through rose tinted glasses - in some cases because they remembered it differently, or because they never had the chance to play it back then(or just weren't able to make the time commitment.)

So I wonder who Blizzard should cater to? Who knows. While my hopes are up for the time being, there is lingering dread right alongside it.

Group 1 will be pleased with Vanilla.
    Group 2 will be tough to please, but if there are some QoL changes, integrated boss strategies, and you can play a panda monk, they might be happy...until it's time to play BfA, then vanilla will be old hat.
    Group 3 won't be happy unless you essentially just lower the cap of Legion to level 60 and cut off all content after OG Naxx. Everyone gets their very own class specific Ashbringer upon character creation.

Disclaimer: Ex No-Lifer here. For every time I heard "Wow, where did you get all that stuff?", I heard "WOW YOU LOSER GET A LIFE" twice as much from some kid, or middle aged guy raging because I corpse camped him for an hour or two or camped every NPC in Tarren Mill so no one could quest until people who could put up a fight logged on. Camping the entrance to BRM was pretty great, too.

Looking forward to sap being full duration, followed up by a gnomish engineering rocket helm. Also laughing at feral druids who think they're worth more than a 5% crit buff DPS wise. Im not looking forward to noggenfogger potions stacking to 5 and thus cramming my bags, but hey, it's a small price to pay. Ooo, jeez, I almost forgot summoning people off the ledges in BRM so they'd fall in lava.

They should just call it WoW: Toxic Masculinity Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Really? That's a fact? If so, can I see the quote and/or source for that information? Since ""a way to have the old WoW version work on the modern infrastructure and feel really good" kind of implies the server software doesn't work very well on modern infrastructure. If it did, they wouldn't have to "find a way to make it work".
    It does not imply that at all. It says that they have existing constructs (like instancing, log in services, etc) that they want to use instead of investing in a completely redundant set of servers.

It also says they ALREADY HAVE IT WORKING on the new infrastructure... it's coming Soon™ !!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    LFR for """""classic"""" servers. You Know it's gonna happen if they wanna keep your garbage servers alive
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    It does not imply that at all. It says that they have existing constructs (like instancing, log in services, etc) that they want to use instead of investing in a completely redundant set of servers.
    Probably why they had to work to find a way for it to work. If something works "just fine" by itself, you don't have to find way for it to work. But if you have to "find a way for it to work", it means, by itself, it doesn't work, or doesn't work as well as it should.

It also says they ALREADY HAVE IT WORKING on the new infrastructure... it's coming Soon™ !!!!!!
    Yeah, so "Soon™" that they didn't show a single second of gameplay footage in the reveal...

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard Soon, i.e. within 2-4 years? Well yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    They are 99% Vanilla tho, the 1% is some tweak based on population (faster respawn rate of resources on 10k pop server) and other bugs that haven't be fixed yet and other data that is not 100% exact due to the reverse engineering nature of all this, the experience is definitely vanilla tho. A lot of people want way more than just small server tweaks and this is where I have a problem.
    The trouble is, we have a lot of people here who are already screaming that, for example, starting on 1.12, as most Vanilla private servers do, is totally unacceptable.

So your "99% Vanilla" is "0% Vanilla" to a lot of people on this board.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man in Room V View Post
    I'm paying for a subscription and have been doing so consistently for years, even when I am only doing dailies and AH stuff (ie. bored). That means I am paying for Classic. Why on Earth do people who have been using what is, let's be honest, pirated servers to play for free think that they deserve to be rewarded for that kind of behavior?
    You are NOT paying for Vanilla, you are paying for Legion. We already paid for Vanilla and want it back. We are in fact ready to pay again for it. The only people that Blizzard neet to cater to are the target market for Classic and that is exactly those people who are currently playing on private servers. Blizzard already got your money. They now want to get money from those who want to pay for Vanilla and not for Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel108 View Post
    Classic servers are for everyone OP. I want LFR, LFD, and all the other things are in retail and just transfer them to Vanilla. TBH, I don’t know anyone that wants plain vanilla. We have all been bombarding Blizz with emails everyday listing what changes we want. Hopefully they listen to the player base and make the necessary changes
    NO NO NO and NO, WHY ARE YOU HERE? You said it yourself...you don't want vanilla, why messing it up to those that really want it?? Do Project 60 or something...you guys must be trolling.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

As a reference you moron, as. A. Reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    why is that signature spreading?
    It's a flatline. An accurate representation of how Classic WoW will die soon after being released.

Probably why they had to work to find a way for it to work. If something works "just fine" by itself, you don't have to find way for it to work. But if you have to "find a way for it to work", it means, by itself, it doesn't work, or doesn't work as well as it should.

Yeah, so "Soon™" that they didn't show a single second of gameplay footage in the reveal...
    Pick any vanilla private server out there now... running on generic, leased servers. Grab all the in game footage you like.

Pick any vanilla private server out there now... running on generic, leased servers. Grab all the in game footage you like.
    Yeah... using not the original server code, but actually a patchwork of scripts cobbled together by guesswork. Great thinking there, genius. Blizzard is just going to grab the first WoW emulator they find in a Google search and use it. It's not like they're trying to rebuild the original code. Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by tss View Post
    Quit bringing Mark Kern into this. He's a black mark on anything he touches.
    This, his importance is non-existent, but classic fanboys grasp on anything they can get.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by hmzlol View Post
    Classic servers are for people who enjoy classic vanilla experience and nothing else. Retail players has nothing to do with current vanilla state of affairs. Entitled retail players you should stop with your irrelevant demands, you add zero value to the conversation.

Anyway, the love is real. Former Team Lead of Classic WoW. Mark Kern, and his Open Letter to Blizzard Entertainment.

Just so I'm clear, you want retail players to quit talking about changes, but it's okay for non retail/private server players to ask for them? I've got to tell you, retail aren't the only people asking for QoL/design changes, and some of them even want it to be as close as possible to how it was on release.

Quote Originally Posted by hmzlol View Post
    Classic servers are for people who enjoy classic vanilla experience and nothing else. Retail players has nothing to do with current vanilla state of affairs. Entitled retail players you should stop with your irrelevant demands, you add zero value to the conversation.

Anyway, the love is real.
    It's not the retail players that want changes to the original game and "progression", it's the private server community that has turned on itself because they are all used to different tweaks of the game and would hate the game in its original state.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    It's not the retail players that want changes to the original game and "progression", it's the private server community that has turned on itself because they are all used to different tweaks of the game and would hate the game in its original state.
    This is a laughable statement to make. The private servers that have had major changes added in to them are insignificant compared to the goliath of Nostalrius and what was spawned from it. Every single person I have personally spoken to who played and enjoyed Nostalrius wants a 100% Blizzlike, Blizzard crafted Vanilla experience. They even used to lament that even though Nostalrius was close, it still wasn't 100% Blizzlike

I hope you're trolling, if not this is the comment that has made me the most angry out of any I've read since this sub-forum opened.

I can promise you that the majority of people who wants no change, didn't play vanilla.
    On top of that, I can promise you that the majority of people who wants some changes played during vanilla, and know what was broken.

Yeah... using not the original server code, but actually a patchwork of scripts cobbled together by guesswork. Great thinking there, genius. Blizzard is just going to grab the first WoW emulator they find in a Google search and use it. It's not like they're trying to rebuild the original code. Genius.
    And Blizzard doesn't have archives of their work? lol

Yes. Yes they do. And it could be slapped on a cheap white box Windows Server 2016 box. So spare me the "Oh how difficult it would be"

Quote Originally Posted by TordFish View Post
    I can promise you that the majority of people who wants no change, didn't play vanilla.
    On top of that, I can promise you that the majority of people who wants some changes played during vanilla, and know what was broken.

Seriously. Projection of self onto others is strong with you.

Also, while you at it. Please, present us your version of the list of "what was broken".

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post

Seriously. Projection of self onto others is strong with you.

Also, while you at it. Please, present us your version of the list of "what was broken".
    To be honest both sides of this argument need citations. So many "vets" speaking for everyone who played Vanilla when in fact no one has an actual clue what everyone wants.

There were a lot of exploits that certain people used "safe spots", being under the map/invisible and taking all mining nodes for example. I hope those are fixed as they made the game not fun.

admittedly seeing a corpse from a player slide along the ground for an entire zone was chuckle worthy

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    Classic servers are for everyone. You aren't anymore entitled to tell blizzard what you want than anyone else is.
    Trying to silence people is not going to lead to anything but a more hostile discussion.
    Blizzard will have their own vision anyways.
    Blizzard has said they want it to be as close to the original as possible. Telling retail players who want QoL changes to fuck off is perfectly fine.