Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    if $2 causes you financial problems then you should probably rethink your life.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

It's annoying since the quality and availability of their third party offerings have greatly declined over the years, but as someone in the $7.99 bracket, I'm not too worried about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    While cheap, keep in mind that Netflix sets the standards for the industry when it comes to streaming. And very soon, Netflix won't have Disney. A lot of media companies are now getting into streaming, and while the price increase in Netflix isn't big by itself, it does setup the stage for others to copy them. So if you plan to have multiple streaming services, then accepting that Netflix price increase will seem very stupid.

Personally, I suggest you start pirating. Only because these streaming services are starting to get exclusive content and have done nothing to compete with piracy. It would be nice if all media was licensable for Netflix so that I could just have one service for everything I want, but that's not gonna happen by just paying for every streaming service that exists. You should pirate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if it were $20 a month, I'd still get it, so it's not a big deal. While I'm not cheering about the price increase, it doesn't really bother me.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Would still be a bargain at twice the price.

I got rid of cable and watch my shows only on netflix now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    While cheap, keep in mind that Netflix sets the standards for the industry when it comes to streaming. And very soon, Netflix won't have Disney. A lot of media companies are now getting into streaming, and while the price increase in Netflix isn't big by itself, it does setup the stage for others to copy them. So if you plan to have multiple streaming services, then accepting that Netflix price increase will seem very stupid.

Personally, I suggest you start pirating. Only because these streaming services are starting to get exclusive content and have done nothing to compete with piracy. It would be nice if all media was licensable for Netflix so that I could just have one service for everything I want, but that's not gonna happen by just paying for every streaming service that exists. You should pirate.
    Advocating for pirating any kind of media is just dumb and selfish. Yeah Disney stuff will be gone but only cause they want a piece of the Netflix pie.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Only because these streaming services are starting to get exclusive content and have done nothing to compete with piracy.
    This shows a clear misunderstanding of how the industry works.

You make it sound like Netflix just 'decided' not to have certain shows. Pirating stuff won't make it change.

It's like me asking if I can borrow your dad's car. You tell me you don't have the keys to it, even if you WOULD allow it. I then steal the car, stating maybe next time you'll let me borrow it.

Pirating content doesn't change what companies can, or cannot do. Some stuff simply won't be, or cannot be, licensed to them, or is prohibitively expensive.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I am curious if most Netflix users also pay for 'cable'

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I am curious if most Netflix users also pay for 'cable'
    Well I can't speak for most but as for myself I pay $40 a month for PSVue.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    I have Hulu, Prime, and Netflix. Of the three, I feel that Netflix offers the best value, so I understand the price increase. That said, I'm not happy about having to pay more. I just understand why they would do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    Holy shit, a WHOLE FUCKING ONE DOLLAR increase? That's it, I can't afford gifts for anyone this year!11
    No one has argued it is prohibitively expensive.

Most people like an explanation as to why their service suddenly cost more money... "So we can keep on keeping on" isn't an answer. They have been keeping on just fine for years producing hundreds of movies and show episodes AND making record profits at the old price.

The end of Net Neutrality hasn't even happened yet, so they can't make that excuse either.

I don't know about you, but I don't like paying $12 more for something with no tangible benefit over what I was getting for $12 less?

Considering the amount of original content they provide, and keep expanding upon, i think the price increase is only natural, and to be expected.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    They have some of the best shows out in recent years.
    Just curious but which ones

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Most people like an explanation as to why their service suddenly cost more money...
    The explanation is simple, They are making more of there own content and that cost money. Netflix plans to have over half of there library to be Netflix Original's within the next few years.

The explanation has been given each time there has been a price bump. If people don't realize the reason now then that is there own fault.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Netflix has kept their cost for a while, and I'm sure they've needed a bump in revenue, just to combat basic inflation and rising tech wages. I don't really mind the increase. They could double it and I'd still happily pay it, since I use it enough.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Just curious but which ones
    IMO

All the Marvel Shows, Stranger Things, Orange is the new black, Marko polo (sadly canceled after 2 seasons) and Narco's is ones I love.

Blight is coming out this month and IMO it looks interesting.

Plenty of surplus value still for me. Obviously I'd prefer to pay less than more, but it won't change my subscription status.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    IMO

All the Marvel Shows, Stranger Things, Orange is the new black, Marko polo (sadly canceled after 2 seasons) and Narco's is ones I love.

Blight is coming out this month and IMO it looks interesting.
    Isn't Blight just a movie? I agree however with Marvel Shows and Stranger Things however my issue with Netflix is that beyond those the UK version has nothing else for me. I have Sky and Amazon Prime so in comparison Netflix is poor, especially the movies since I have more in my DVD collection so basically I end up being unsubbed than subbed

Isn't Blight just a movie? I agree however with Marvel Shows and Stranger Things however my issue with Netflix is that beyond those the UK version has nothing else for me. I have Sky and Amazon Prime so in comparison Netflix is poor, especially the movies since I have more in my DVD collection
    Ya Blight is just a movie and ya I hear the selection outside the US is a bit meh. I am speaking as someone who lives in the US so I'm using that version.

What add's value to it for me as well is the fact my GF uses it as well. So between us both and the Original+License content I'm getting the bang for my buck. But I totally understand if someone isn't.

In just the last couple months I watched Defenders and Punisher. Sooner or later I'm going to get around to finishing Narco's Season 3 and watching Stranger Things. Its also got a anime selection if you are into that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    This shows a clear misunderstanding of how the industry works.

You make it sound like Netflix just 'decided' not to have certain shows. Pirating stuff won't make it change.

It's like me asking if I can borrow your dad's car. You tell me you don't have the keys to it, even if you WOULD allow it. I then steal the car, stating maybe next time you'll let me borrow it.
    What I'm advocating is that all media needs to be licensable. That way the streaming services can compete with each other on price and innovation, rather than exclusive content. You really should have watched the video. What Netflix 'decided' to do was increase it's price without offering anything. In fact, we know that Netflix is gonna lose Disney soon. By increasing the price, it signals other streaming services to do the same.

To this day Netflix still uses Silverlight, which makes it very difficult to use their service on something like a Raspberry Pi. The ability to stream 4k is also limited. It should just work on any browser using HTML5 or whatever is an open standard like Plex and EMBY. Kodi also works on the Raspberry Pi, and so does those streaming plugins. What incentive does Netflix has to innovate when everyone pays for their service without question?
    Pirating content doesn't change what companies can, or cannot do. Some stuff simply won't be, or cannot be, licensed to them, or is prohibitively expensive.
    Absolutely it changes what companies do. This forum itself opened a classic WoW section just for the upcoming Vanilla server. That didn't happen in a vacuum, that happened because people were fleeing to private servers. I'm sure you were moderating that giant thread about Nostalrius for a while. You know how much of a demand there was for this. But that wasn't the first time piracy has influenced the industry. The MP3 and Divx codecs are what killed off music stores and rentals, and thus help create streaming services like Netflix.

People like things to be easy and cheap. Piracy isn't easy so a lot of people did jump from piracy to Netflix because Netflix is much better than hunting down torrents. Same goes for why YouTube is now the dominant way to listen to music, because it is just that much easier. But streaming is making things hard again because now you need to own multiple services to essentially do the same thing. And Kodi streaming plugins are making piracy easier again. Cutting cable won't be cheap if you need Netflix, Amazon, CBS, HBO services. At that point you should just stick to cable TV. But I'm willing to believe that people have one streaming service they pay for, and pirate everything else. It's just not cost effective to do otherwise.