New Monitor Opinions

Mainly a WOW/Diablo player. Dabble in other steam games but nothing too hardcore. Ideally wanting 27+" monitor.

I'm replacing an older monitor so I know anything will really be a step up - but wanted to get thoughts on the best bang for my buck. Leaning towards one of the Dells to get 1440p but I'm not sure how much that adds to wow for 150+ bucks. Open to other thoughts/options as well.

Thanks in advance for your input!

#1 - Dell UltraSharp U2715H for $380
    #2 - LG 34UM69G-B for $215
    #3 - Dell UltraSharp U3415W (Curved) for $399

All these are on Amazon, but I can't post links yet sorry!

Wait you could get a Dell UltraSharp U3415W for 399 and didnt ordered it ?
    Thats monitor cost in the EU around 1000-1200$.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever you do - don't get a non-curved 34" monitor, trust me on this. I have a friend who got the first gen LG 34" 3440x1440 and he regrets not waiting for the curved options coming out. It really looks bad. The curvature makes sure the monitor appears correct for your eyes.

Also, be aware that Diablo 3, for some very unknown reason, does not support 21:9 resolutions. I have no clue why. It will look weird, especially on the menus. Been there done that.

As a side note, off-topic, have you tried Path of Exile at all? It's a far larger and better game now than Diablo 3, with a significantly larger array of content and higher quality, plus it supports 21:9 resolutions! Its graphics have also now far surpassed Diablo's. If you haven't tried it, do so! It's free to play! Supported through cosmetic-only microtransactions.

(No, I don't work for Grinding Gear Games, wish I did though, because that would mean I probably live in New Zaeland (lesigh), I just really appreciate their dedication to this game and adding tons of new content that is fantastic and pushing the story forward in new and interesting directions.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Also, be aware that Diablo 3, for some very unknown reason, does not support 21:9 resolutions.
    If it's the same as Overwatch, it's to create an even playing field as you have a wider FoV with 21:9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    If it's the same as Overwatch, it's to create an even playing field as you have a wider FoV with 21:9.
    I mean, I guess... World of Warcraft supports it and its got a competitive aspect to it too, though, right? I realize maybe WoW isn't quite as competitive anymore, but technically it would help people in arenas and such.
    "A flower.

I mean, I guess... World of Warcraft supports it and its got a competitive aspect to it too, though, right? I realize maybe WoW isn't quite as competitive anymore, but technically it would help people in arenas and such.
    Not quite as much - you can change your PoV with WoW and see a lot more of the field, and arena frames show what people off-screen are doing anyway so it's not quite as focused on what you can physically see.

With Diablo it's more about allocated resources than competitive aspect, D3 is a waste land when it comes to development time and upkeep. The leaderboards are filled with bots and THUD users and they don't ban even the most obvious cases.

More to the point.. Yes, some games have quite bad ultrawide support and most of media content is 16:9, so you will have black bars when watching TV shows for example.

But those are somewhat minor for me at least, because of how awesome it is when it works, and most games support it anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    With Diablo it's more about allocated resources than competitive aspect, D3 is a waste land when it comes to development time and upkeep. The leaderboards are filled with bots and THUD users and they don't ban even the most obvious cases.

More to the point.. Yes, some games have quite bad ultrawide support and most of media content is 16:9, so you will have black bars when watching TV shows for example.

But those are somewhat minor for me at least, because of how awesome it is when it works, and most games support it anyways.
    I thought this was the case...

It's nice with certain movies though, like Lord of the Rings? Supports 21:9 and fills the monitor. Looks freakin' AWESOME.
    "A flower.

It's nice with certain movies though, like Lord of the Rings? Supports 21:9 and fills the monitor. Looks freakin' AWESOME.
    Yes, modern Cinema format is 2.4:1, which is pretty close to 21:9, which in turn means watching movies with 21:9 equals almost no black bars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Yes, modern Cinema format is 2.4:1, which is pretty close to 21:9, which in turn means watching movies with 21:9 equals almost no black bars.
    I believe there is a cinema format which is 2.35:1, which is even closer to the 2.33:1 that is 21:9. If I recall right, that's what LotR was shot in.
    "A flower.