Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    Well, with Netflix you can just connect and watch a show in 1080p/4k instead of searching for 5 minutes between mirrors to find a decent 720p, so you are paying to save time and get better quality.
    You could setup Sonarr + torrent client and get all the shows in HD as soon as they go online at no economic cost, but it's still piracy. Of course if your bandwidth is crappy or the connection might or might not be up because your ISP still didn't fix a line problem from 3 years ago, making it impossible to reliably use any streaming service, you can resort to this method while still maintaining the moral high ground
    It definitely sucks with the whole quality thing, and broken mirrors - more often than not though they do have 720P/1080P versions available. I watched both It and Annabelle: Creation in HD online

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Depends where you are tbh.

Netflix in the states has great shows and lots of them. The UK one is pretty trash in comparison, I'm happy paying the current (and the increase) price for netflix because they have some cracking original shows or ones like the defenders. Those shows make up the value but when I'm done with those few I hardly every put it on.
    Yeah I forgot about different countries and what not. But maybe they won't drop the price hike in areas with less accessibility/partial service. idk /shrug

They have some pretty solid stuff (and some real duds) and have we seen that full impact from Disney pulling out, if they ever did or will?

Either way, the service is perfect for households with kids cause there's so much variety and some of the older movies/shows they put on can be worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    I've paid my 500€ through my attourney once, and I've learned my lesson. Ultimately, no VPN or technical knowledge will keep you safe enough. You may last for year, even decades, but with a slice of bad luck you're gonna pay more than you "saved" through pirating. (Torrenting through a virtual machine and two cascaded VPNs didn't do the trick for me ultimately. And I only seeded what I was currently leeching and removed anything finished within a few hours. Not a seed box by any stretch.) With even a tad bit more bad luck you'll eventually pay more than all services combined would have cost you during that time.
    Sure, you might be a lucky one, but it's always gonna be a 50/50 bet of if you're the one paying for all the "crooks" or be a pure benefactor. In the end, the companies WILL make their share. They have enough grip on laws to make this world their playing field. A chance I just am no longer willing to take, especially from the point in time on I was able to earn my own money and spend it on the things I thought are valuable to me.
    Torrenting isn't the mainstream way of pirating anymore. It's all about streaming websites and Kodi plugins. Much safer than torrenting. Which is why companies are shutting down Kodi plugins all over the place, though so far the plugin authors have just agreed to stop supporting them. When one goes down, 25 pop up. As is the nature of piracy.

Not sure what happened to you, but I wonder how your 'cascade' of VPNs got you caught? Cause I question your validity. With a properly setup VPN your ISP shouldn't know a thing you're doing. Cause if your VPN releases info about your traffic, you have bigger concerns than torrenting. One of the reasons people use VPNs is to hide their web browsing history, cause that's something ISPs data mine to sell.

Concerning the issue of a plethora of $10-$20 services to pay for: The market is still somewhat fresh. I fully expect capitalism to take care of this, and to be left with maybe 2-4 relevant services eventually. There's going to be no time in my history where I'm going to invest more than, say $30-$40 a month for TV-like entertainment total. And I feel like this is the total average for the developed world. Services will eventually adapt to such prices and offerings, even if it is currently less for the two big ones concerning streaming.
    If it doesn't, there will always be the option to low-quality-stream the 2-3 shows I'd like to see that aren't covered by the services that cover the majority of my go-tos. Those may rot in hell for all I care if they ultimately fail to adapt to current times. Cancel if you want. Other shows will come and take the hour you left with me, on the right business model. Except firefly. I'm still quite angry about that!!!
    That's not how capitalism works. You don't want less options, you want more. The more streaming services, the better the services and the lower the price. The way things are right now, streaming services are going to become an oligopoly. This is where we need regulation to fix this. All media should have purchasable licenses for any online streaming service to buy. You could limit exclusivity to 1-3 months to make them happy. But to make capitalism work here, we need everyone to be able to sell a service with any media they wish to host. That includes having Netflix be able to host Disney content if they wish to pay for the license.

This is an outrage. I definitely pay for my audio/video media at the moment and will have a hard time adjusting to this crazy price hike. Torrenting is wrong.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    They're still illegal. What stops the ISP from telling you to stop using them?
    ISP's are not in the business to police. It costs money to warn people to stop. ISPs aren't stupid, if they aren't careful then their customers will use VPN's and that's a really huge problem for ISPs. At that point the VPN holds all the cards when it comes to who can snitch on you. There are older and safer methods to pirate. There's even anonymous P2P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh noes, that's almost a whole bag of $1.67 Kroger Hot n Spicy Pork Rinds.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Farrarie View Post
    The rich will use Netflix, the poor will pirate the movies, shows etc..
    Also we don't have cinemas.
    How can the poor pirate movies if they don't have Internet? Your argument is that of a child, If you can afford internet but can't afford Netflix you have major problems in your life.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by S7orm View Post
    Well, with Netflix you can just connect and watch a show in 1080p/4k instead of searching for 5 minutes between mirrors to find a decent 720p, so you are paying to save time and get better quality.
    Unless you use IE or Edge, you're limited to 720p. I think Mac users using Safari get 1080p? Netflix does 480p on Android devices unless you have a certain device, then it'll do HD. iPhones are either 720p or 1080p depending on which model you get.

4k on Netflix is... forget it. Only on PC using a specific brand of CPU and a specific type of monitor and graphics card, using IE or Edge. You can't even do 4k on a AMD Ryzen due to Netflix exclusivity with Intel.
    You could setup Sonarr + torrent client and get all the shows in HD as soon as they go online at no economic cost, but it's still piracy. Of course if your bandwidth is crappy or the connection might or might not be up because your ISP still didn't fix a line problem from 3 years ago, making it impossible to reliably use any streaming service, you can resort to this method while still maintaining the moral high ground
    And again, you think pirates care about moral high ground? Unless there's an actual reason to pay for streaming services besides for moral reasons, they won't care. Also keep in mind that while you think you have access to 1080p or 4k, the pirates have that long ago and can play it on any hardware they choose. If it's on Netflix with 4k, chances are pirate sites have it at 4k as well.

Again, you're paying for a service that refuses to innovate, and refuses to fight Disney in court for the right to stream their content. You are literally enabling bad behavior by supporting them. The moral thing to do is to cut your streaming accounts and pirate. If you don't then don't get angry that within the next 2-3 years you'll have 5 streaming services to watch your favorite content, all costing many more dollars than they do now. You could get away with it by sharing someone else account, but that's also piracy. You'll be no different. And these services will get smart enough to the point where they'll combat people sharing their streaming accounts with other people. They'll force you to register a device.

People pay for Netflix, thought just one people had it and the rest just used their name lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    Netflix needs better shows before they do this
    Just ONE 10 episode original like JJ or DD or ST each month and they have well and truly earned their keep.

I'm happy with them, and I have 3 services (Netflix, Amazon and YEP - Foxtel).

Paying $60/month for Foxtel... so Netflix is just fine.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    http://mashable.com/2017/11/26/netfl...se-holiday.amp
    I heard a sarcastic "thank you" announcement on the radio on my way back from the gym this morning and thought they were just trolling, imagine my surprise when I saw a legit article. An one dollar increase doesn't really affect me much but it makes me wonder how much internet companies had to do with this price increase.
    I'm actually okay with this.

Google fiber + Roku + Netflix. Yeah, I'm fine. I like my total tv "cable" bill being $10 a month heh.

7+ Year Old Account
    The price increase doesn't bother me at all. Netflix still continues to be one of the cheapest sources of entertainment for me.

7+ Year Old Account
    As long as they keep churning out new seasons of MST3K, I'll easily pay for it.

Anything else is just gravy.

Also, while their anime selection right now is kinda meh, starting next year they are pouring a lot of funds into anime. That and original movies seem to be their biggest viewed items (which is crazy considering the original TV offerings).

The anime thing starts in January with Violet Evergarden.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2017-11-28 at 06:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    How can the poor pirate movies if they don't have Internet? Your argument is that of a child, If you can afford internet but can't afford Netflix you have major problems in your life.
    The internet is for all the family\group to use, and its more important than Netflix. and of course a poor family\group can offer 26 dollars if they worked together. even a driver in Saudi can easily sub to an internet, but will not lose good amount of money for movies or films.
    as in Saudi one month of open internet is 26 dollars.
    Poor people in Saudi are not the same as in Africa or Yemen.
    Last edited by Farrarie; 2017-11-28 at 06:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It makes sense as long as Netflix has built a value for their service.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Canada doesn't have HBO Now? (Not HBO GO that requires google).
    Nope, HBO doesn't own the rights to their online content in Canada.

Just do what everyone else does and subscribe when they have content you want to see, and unsubscribe when they don't.

Netflix used to have enough movies/TV shows, and the price was low enough, to justify keeping it around all the time in case you got bored. Now they've cut the library and raised prices, so they're going to be actually getting less money from me because I will only be a customer of theirs 3-4 months out of the year instead of 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Your linked tweets in the quote are broken, excepting the first one.

On-Topic: Netflix offers supreme value at it's current pricepoint, and is still better bang-for-your-buck than most other similar offerings at the new prices.
    Not really, they have crap shows for the most part and their movies are either old as dirt or B Movies (Hell I would even put a good chunk of them as D Movies)
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Again, you're paying for a service that refuses to innovate, and refuses to fight Disney in court for the right to stream their content. You are literally enabling bad behavior by supporting them. The moral thing to do is to cut your streaming accounts and pirate.
    Are you tired from all those mental gymnastics? The very fact that you believe one company can sue another because that company refuses to sell the first company their product is astounding.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    People pay for Netflix, thought just one people had it and the rest just used their name lol
    had the same thoughts i dont even know who pays for the account where i am watching