Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    We thought we had to worry about our robot overlords....

Now it's OUR SPIDER OVERLORDS!!!!!

Fuck!!!! :-)
    Pretty sure its going to be robot spiders with webs that can hold down trains and electrify biological (us)
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Oh no, nothing will ever turn out bad with us idiot humans genetically enhancing spiders. No nothing bad could possibly ever go wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that there needs to be an arachnophobia warning at the top.

OT- I don't see how this could ever possibly go wrong.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guys there's a reason why insects are all tiny. They have no lungs and without them they can't sustain large bodies.
    So no need to worry yet, first, they have to evolve lungs. Or, maybe, through forced evolution by human hand.... Hmmm.
    Besides, spiders are amazing creatures. They only suck the liquid out of you. So in the future we will protect ourselves by evolving without blood, water etc in our bodies.
    Probably not possible, so we're fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    Oh no, nothing will ever turn out bad with us idiot humans genetically enhancing spiders. No nothing bad could possibly ever go wrong.
    There's nothing genetic about this.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn’t realy say but how long is the spiders web making glands boosted from this graphemes drink? I’m assuming that once the spider runs out of the graphene it ingested it’ll go back to normal silk

Some spiders like jumping spiders tear the prey into tiny peices with their serrated mouth parts instead of leaving a nice neat husk.
    http://infinitespider.com/how-spiders-eat/
    Last edited by Rustedsaint; 2017-11-26 at 03:39 AM.

Orb weavers already produce a spider silk thick enough to be used in cloth, one gram of it goes for over $150 and if I remember correctly the ancient royalty of Thailand wore some garments made of it. But feel free to fact check me on that last bit because I'm really fuzzy on it.

Anyway, the biggest problem is that spiders are cannibalistic which makes farming the silk at scale extremely difficult.

Which tends to always be a problem when trying to domesticate predators.

How the fuck did these horrible things evolve? I swear they're from space.

So Spiderman is actually a documentary... interesting. Thanks a lot Stan!
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Cant wait for this ....

Spiders could (theoretically) eat the entire earth's population of humans in the span of one year.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2017-11-26 at 06:40 AM.

I wonder if the graphene ends up reinforcing their body as well. If it's just being subbed into created proteins the little bastards should stiffen up pretty fast.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Right. Next they're going to genetically alter spiders to grow to larger and larger sizes in order to produce this super silk in quantities we can use...I can barely tolerate spiders that are 1-2 inches in size, but house sized? Nope.
    Don't worry, you won't ever see spiders that large. It's physically and biologically impossible. The way their body is designed does not scale up. Exoskeletons do not scale up. A 100 pound spider would go splat under its own weight.

Cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Don't worry, you won't ever see spiders that large. It's physically and biologically impossible. The way their body is designed does not scale up. Exoskeletons do not scale up. A 100 pound spider would go splat under its own weight.
    Spider shape doesn't scale up, but there are some pretty remarkable carapaced creatures now long dead. Jaekelopterus, Pterygotus and Arthropleura are all examples of giant carapaced fossils. You're right with the spider shape though; I think the largest living carapaced thing is the Japanese Spider crab and that both lives under water, making the form more effective than on land, and weighs only 40 or so pounds. It's scary, but not giant spider scary.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Spider shape doesn't scale up, but there are some pretty remarkable carapaced creatures now long dead.
    It's not just the shape, but how they breathe that limits their size as well. The idea is that there was more oxygen readily available millions of years ago when these giant arthropods were more common, so they weren't as limited by their circulatory system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    When it comes to enhancing the size of said spiders capable of spinning super-strength silk, I'mma motion that they go for something from the Deinopidae family.

[IMttps://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5684/21767730865_d942d4ae53_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGttps://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6181/6052099621_535932e81f_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGttps://farm6.staticflickr.com/5347/14108767892_1ece264382_b.jpg[/IMG]

Lovely spiders all around.
    As someone with arachnophobia, I break your links and respond just simply with: No.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's not just the shape, but how they breathe that limits their size as well. The idea is that there was more oxygen readily available millions of years ago when these giant arthropods were more common, so they weren't as limited by their circulatory system.
    So what you're saying is when need to give spiders lungs.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Spider shape doesn't scale up, but there are some pretty remarkable carapaced creatures now long dead. Jaekelopterus, Pterygotus and Arthropleura are all examples of giant carapaced fossils. You're right with the spider shape though; I think the largest living carapaced thing is the Japanese Spider crab and that both lives under water, making the form more effective than on land, and weighs only 40 or so pounds. It's scary, but not giant spider scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

Here's a good explanation of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Right. Next they're going to genetically alter spiders to grow to larger and larger sizes in order to produce this super silk in quantities we can use...I can barely tolerate spiders that are 1-2 inches in size, but house sized? Nope.
    Actually we can genetically engineer goats to produce spider silk in their milk. So maybe we could use that.

https://phys.org/news/2010-05-scient...ider-silk.html

All those lived under water.