Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Just buy a sword with a detachable pommel.

Alternatively, befriend a random guy called Yuri.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Algy No intention to belittle you. There are, however, whole systems of martial arts that go into refinements on things like cutting, even though the average person in the day that art originated might well have cut, pierced and beaten the hell out of stuff as part of their day. I trained with a degree of obsession for thirty years, multiple styles, multiple weapons.
    Oh i know there are, I just know to not hold back when someone is attacking. No worries about belittling me, I just know I have enough knowledge to fend off most any attacker that might be dumb enough to jump me while I'm out exercising!

Isn't this what you guys feel "you need" to defend yourselves over there?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Three easy self-defence solutions:
    0. Avoid dark unpopulated places. Never be alone at night time.
    1. If they are after your items and not your life - COMPLY EAGERLY and SHOW FEAR. Because that's what they expect and they will not harm you if all goes according to their plan. Swallow your pride/righteousness. It's not worth it.
    2. If they are after your life - get fit to run away, in case running is impossible (cornered) have something on you that can easily produce a very loud noise for a long time. Have a knife on you as well. Learn self-defense combat style of your choice. Never own a gun, you can only carry it where it's allowed so you cannot use it everywhere you go (vacation to another state/country). It's a dangerous item that can put you in trouble just by you pulling it out in a dangerous situation. People who want you dead know what they are doing, you don't.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Carrying a firearm doesn't mean you win by default. You need a lot of practise and situational awareness to be effective.

I would start with a self defense course and make sure to always have some cash on you while you walk the dog. Let them have the 50 bucks. It's better then your life.

Also there is this YT chanel that shows a lot of situations.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE...rvF2ImeNWh84mw

What you can learn from it is that sometimes a bullet is not enough to stop a threat.

You might want to research "Systema" as well if you want to go deeper into self defense.
    Last edited by Raakel; 2017-11-28 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo

How about 200 pounds of murder floof ?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Since this keeps coming up....I live in close-in Portland. It is probably one of the safest large cities in the US. My neighborhood is mostly young professionals, I know of at least one other lawyer and two physicians on my block. It is safe. Crime can happen anywhere. I am just looking for something for precautionary measures, although the goal of the thread was to discuss various types of self protection abd their pros and cons, was not looking for advice for my situation per se. Although people were nice enough to offer it.

Btw, I carried pepper spray in Chicago and walked alone late at night very often as a young female college student, nothing happened. I also went running along the lakefront at night. I was fine. I never felt compelled to use it, even if I carried it in my hand late at night.

I get the sense that some people think the US is a literal warzone. It is not.

Basically just using your post as a jumping off point to address this, even if it was meant as more of a general poat towards everyone. I agree that context matters.
    I don't think the US is a literal Warzone. I've just seen the crime statistics of Inner City Chicago. I find most of US would likely be just as safe as Australia and would have areas you would be more cautious in than others. Myself I live in Melbourne in Australia. The Suburban Area i live in i walk around at any time of the night or day without even a worry of danger. Yet there are some Suburbs i would plainly not set foot in after Dark at night simply because of the Reputations and high rate of crimes in said areas. It's all about Areas and Demographics when it comes to Personal protection for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    A Newfoundland? There like, the nicest dogs ever, despite their big size. They’re especially wonderful with children.
    Yeah but the thing is, thugs dont know that and a dog of the size of a pony make alot people switch the sideway ^^.

I am a Red Belt in Tae Kwon Doe

Love the Korean discipline..
    I can kick like a Horse and know how to defend myself against knife & other weapon attacks

Its probably why I play a Monk in WOW

I'd go with a combo of the mace, whistle and a baton/heavy flashlight/general concealable bludgeoning device. A gun might also help, but I'm almost illiterate with handguns.

Krav Maga, and an assault alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    arm yourself with common sense.
    Common sense won't do shit against a knife/gun in your face.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    don't live in the 3rd world.

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Neither would knife or gun. Or do people really think that someone with gun pointed at your face, is just going to let you draw your weapon for fair duel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Guns working in self defense scenarios is a fairy tale.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/f...nse-gun-use-2/

11. Self-defense gun use is rare and not more effective at preventing injury than other protective actions

Victims use guns in less than 1% of contact crimes, and women never use guns to protect themselves against sexual assault (in more than 300 cases). Victims using a gun were no less likely to be injured after taking protective action than victims using other forms of protective action. Compared to other protective actions, the National Crime Victimization Surveys provide little evidence that self-defense gun use is uniquely beneficial in reducing the likelihood of injury or property loss.

This article helps provide accurate information concerning self-defense gun use. It shows that many of the claims about the benefits of gun ownership are largely myths.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2017-11-28 at 12:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Neither would knife or gun. Or do people really think that someone with gun pointed at your face, is just going to let you draw your weapon for fair duel?
    Everyone is the hero in thier own story.

Aren't you more likely to be killed by your own weapon in these situations from the stats?

Multiples of those, but learning some ...well, mma specifically for self-defense would be best, in my opinion. Aside from that, it depends on the situation. If you're at home, gun is superior defense, especially if you get alarmed by a break-in, just because you have the range advantage and threat. Just take some classes and be ready to pull the trigger on a person if it gets down to brass tacks.

On the street? Someone wanting to kill you with a knife...not much defense against that, unless you have legendary reaction skills and some sort of martial art to assist it. Or some reeeally sturdy kevlar. It's stupidely easy to conceal a small blade that can kill, even easier to draw it and just gut-stab someone multiple times up-close. Someone threatening you with a knife, again with the martial arts, but having a gun to follow-up, or mace/pepper spray/stun gun, what have you, will also help. Someone threatening you with a gun? Depends, and I couldn't say. Depends on if the person wants to kill you anyway, they might not, but chances are if they threaten, they won't kill. Risk assessmnent is hard for humans.

However, what I learned from my self-defense classes is that if you're in all the disdvantage, like someone has a knife to your throat, gun to your head, whatever, you do as you're told. Either until you can get a solid option to act and gtfo, or whatever's about to happen happens, your life is the most important.

In all situations, the best 'weapon' you have is staying calm. Do not panic. Adrenaline is nothing you can stop really, but you can do your best to stay controlled.
    Last edited by Halyon; 2017-11-28 at 12:02 PM.

the gun is called 'the great equalizer' for a reason. a couple 3 thugs try to rob and rape you by pulling you down a dark ally. it doesn't matter what self defense courses you took, how many knives you got up your sleeves, or if you have chemicals or electricity at your finger tips. when you need to kill or be killed, the best tool humanity has right now is the gun.

Get good at running fast. No matter what people say, a self-defense class will do nothing for you if you're tiny and the other person is huge. Unless maybe you're a black belt in something.

Can't really comment on guns as they're not legal here in Denmark.