Thread: Gold Inflation

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenseiei View Post
    Inflation is a hard thing to manage because to create gold sinks that most people feel to spend their gold on they need to be on basic things that they use, which will in turn hurt people who dont have that much gold... If you do a gold squish you are basically robbing their money so it will be met with high controversy.
    To be fair, it is not that hard.

E.g. this expansion the 2mio Spider could just have gotten the ability to walk on walls. Suddenly it is a pure luxury item that also has a direct value (like fast flying) instead of just the look which not many will buy. Since they want to players to walk on the ground and not use flying this would be a good compromise I think. Could also add some additional restriction if needed (e.g. the faction vendor sells an item that unlocks wall walk for the connected zone at some point, if they do not want to have it at start).

Another example: The golden warframe from the army of the light looks awesome, but why should I chose it over the engineer model that I can use to pick flowers? they could literally just have double the price of the warframe and give if the ability to fast harvest herbs. Engineers would still sell theirs because there are A LOT of people who do not care about looks and are not willing to spend 1mio gold if they could have the same functionality for under 100k.

There are many more ways. Make the same true for a fishing mount and a mining mount. Cheap version for crafters and expansive version with awesome visuals as gold sink.

Make a mega ultra super mount that can do all of that. And then introduce another very expansive luxury item that let THAT mount look like any mount you have in your collection. This would also solve the problem of mount variety.

You know, that are ideas that came to my mind in 5 minutes. I am pretty sure the creative people at blizzard could some up with way, way more cool ideas. it is not hard, they are just not willing to do it for whatever reason.

This isn't real life where you actually have poor people starve because they can't get by off no gold, so what's the issue with gold inflation? I'm not really following. Like I don't even understand the issue we're trying to solve here. Do people have problems understanding beyond 4 digits? Or are we trying to solve a WoW gap between rich and poor issue?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    1000% would be x11 if 100% is x2.
    At this point we are just playing with words

100% of something is just the same (1x) of something, 100% increase of something is 2x of something.
    1000% of something is 10x of something, 1000% increase of something iss 11x of something.
    Last edited by david0925; 2017-11-28 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post
    This isn't real life where you actually have poor people starve because they can't get by off no gold, so what's the issue with gold inflation? I'm not really following. Like I don't even understand the issue we're trying to solve here. Do people have problems understanding beyond 4 digits? Or are we trying to solve a WoW gap between rich and poor issue?
    The issue is that some people are just bad at making gold or too lazy, and don't realize that the real big gold makers are people selling runs through M+ and raids and so on, but you can still make a shitload of gold by just playing the frickin game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    Wouldn't just blame it on the class hall. World quests give way too much gold, especially when your bodyguard has 2 extra gold perks.
    Yea gold is so easy to make these days, I'll make 2-3k a day by only doing emissary quests and profession WQ if they are up picking up herbs and ore along the way as I do them. That might not seem like a lot, but it adds up very quick. The emissaries + Argus weekly + the easy ones I can do really quick + all the mats I gather along the way. Plus playing the AH a little when selling my mats. Imagine what I could do if I actually had time? On days I've had nothing to do, I'd clear most of the WQ and make 30k gold easy from WQ alone.

As easy as gold is to make, I don't think I'd like a gold squish. With the level scaling coming in I'm curious how that will effect old content mats, since their will be more people collecting them at a given time. Mainly Ghost Iron ore since that still holds the most value for the mount and pets. Maybe a slower increase in gold generation as expansions come out would be better but that will only last short term. Although next expansions we won't have followers and mission tables that will generate gold on it's own so gold might go up in value next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    The issue is that some people are just bad at making gold or too lazy, and don't realize that the real big gold makers are people selling runs through M+ and raids and so on, but you can still make a shitload of gold by just playing the frickin game.
    I understand agree that some people are bad or don't care about making gold, my question is -why- this is an issue that warrants solving.
    There is no content gated behind having gold unless you want to debate about flying mount and that is what, less than 2k gold? Consumables pay cost you 4-5k a week if you chain double pot in raids (40g a pull, 100 pulls a week), and maybe 1-2k for repair.

And let's say that -is- actually an issue, a "gold squish" is not going to really make it easier for people that don't want to farm gold to begin with anyway.

With not having any type of follower mission gameplay in BfA, I assume WQs will be increased with follower mission gold. I'm hoping this isn't the case, so there's finally a comfort zone for token prices. From this, the margin for raiding consumables, essentials and repairs comes down (more people can raid and there's less amounts of easy gold in the market), while some of the hard work behind making gold comes to light again and the gold cap doesn't need to be increased further. People will still have access to their own raw materials, assuming, but I don't think it will drastically decline prices like in WoD. With tokens coming down in price somewhat, more people are amp to play and will spend more of their gold.

Deleted
    Missions highly contribute to why the inflation went crazy in WoD and now

You vastly overestimate the amount of people having enough gold to even come close to the current cap.

And it's not as though you see their gold numbers, unlike seeing the attack numbers/health/stat numbers etc.
    I for one wouldn't appreciate if my millions were turned into thousands in the name of keeping numerically handicapped people happy.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-11-28 at 02:53 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    How about just cut four zeroes off? Turn every gold in game to a copper. That way your 10k will become 1 gold. Million would be 100g. Many real life currencies have removed zeroes when the amounts became too big.

Or if that's too much, just cut two zeroes, so every gold becomes a silver, so 100g becomes 1g and so on.
    For the [enter opposing faction here]

Class halls have no where near that rate of return. Sometimes an alt may go several days without a gold quest. Plus you need to farm resources to run the missions. You may see a return of 10k a day across 10+ characters if you're lucky. You can make more for your time targeting world quests for raw gold. Really though, AH flipping is still King.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sure, people cannot fathom 1 million gold, but will remember if Thorium is more than Khorium and where Trillium stands related to Pyrite. ^^
    The coins being brightly color-coded would make them easier to remember... (that, and being ordered next to each other like c, s, & g are.)
    Maybe materials like platinum and diamond would be more "iconic" than ore based on expansions?
    Last edited by Razion; 2017-11-28 at 03:57 PM.

A $20 token that when converted is $15 which can be purchased for gold. Blizz makes $5 more for every token purchased. No way they squish gold no matter how much gold is in game.

There's always folks who are bad at making gold buying tokens for those who are good at making gold.

OP is just green because they're not good at making gold.

Dude I have 6 very geared toons all with 950 champs with even some of the new Argus legendary equips, and sure I could easily get up to 10 or more fully leveled toons just to take advantage of that "sweet" order hall gold, but this is not an issue and you're exaggerating this beyond belief.

Nobody is doing what you're saying people are doing.

You see the issue in WOD was that you could do all that kind of shit with just your order hall as you had nearly infinite resources at your disposal (via missions that give resources and so on) so you could keep pumping out missions without ever leaving your garrison at all.

Legion class halls do not work the same way, you have to farm to get all those resources and in the process of farming you'll get more gold than you will ever get from your order hall just "passively" doing missions. Not to mention that it's actually quite a bit of work involved to get your order hall all maxed out and everything and have an adequate amount of resources at your disposal. There are far better ways to make gold than doing this.

Also those new Argus gold missions are not that frequent and cost a lot of resources.

The problem people are experiencing here is still a problem created by WOD, there just haven't been significant enough gold sinks in Legion to keep those people that exploited garrisons from still having massive amounts of gold. And plus people are cheap bastards and won't spend what they think is too much gold for an item on the auction house when they can just go out and farm it or something.

Now you'll rebuttal and say that getting order hall resources is easy. Well here's the thing. It's even EASIER if you spend Blood of Sargeras on them. Only if I did that instead of using Bloods to buy mats and make pots I would have far less gold and spend so very much more time in game just farming resources to do the missions.

Plus the fucking gold missions don't even come in every day as some posters have said here.

If you want to make gold in legion, have at least one toon with gathering profesions and another with alchemy and something like jewelcrafting, and use combat followers with equips that give you gold for completing world quests. The amount of gold I get if I clear all world quests and so on with all of my toons (or just one one of two of them) is far more than you will ever get from just sitting in your order hall doing missions.

Oh and I didn't even mention gold from clearing old raids. Do just that on a few toons every week and you'll pay your sub and then some no prob. Only issue is WOD raids, because you need at least 2 people to clear them all on mythic difficulty due to mechanics.
    i read the second line of your post then i stopped because i have proof people ARE doing this, go argue with them they're the ones doing it.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ation-for-gold

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Since in-game gold is loosely coupled to RL currency now this would cause a huge backslash that very likely would cause law suits in many cases. I am not saying that it would be against the law, I am not saying they are not allowed to do it and it could be that they win such law suits easily but they would still have to manage it and pay their own layers and would get a lot of negative publicity.
    This will just not be worth it.
    How so? All I mean is to squish lootable gold, not gold that people already have. If I'm still wrong, please tell me how. Also thanks for giving a pleasant response unlike the other person who quoted me.

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    How so? All I mean is to squish lootable gold, not gold that people already have.
    This just means it would be relatively harder for a new / returning player to "catch up" because his ability to casually make gold will be diminished while old players can rely on their old hoard. MMO economy (and generally gameplay systems) is a fine line between incentivizing staying subbed for a long term reward (so we can't just robin hood away the gold people earned by months of work) and letting fresh blood in without them feeling stonewalled (so they need to have avenues to earn gear, gold, and so forth).

I had about 2 mill gold total and I went to put 31k into our gbank. I accidentally put in 315k and just went, "meh". That's how useless gold is now, I can say meh to 300,000 gold. If you don't care about vanity items there's not much to buy. Which makes the gold making part of the game much less fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? It's used for literally nothing now days.
    Aye mate

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kubajee View Post
    i'd love to see some massive gold sinks and something like vendor mats for each craftable item, which would cause a slow deflation
    If there were vendor mats that cost a fortune for crafters, it wouldn't be a gold sink. The craftes would just pass along the cost of the mats to the buyer like they have in the past. If there weren't these expensive mats that are required for the hogs, the price for them wouldn't be more than a couple thousand. The other mats are pretty damn inexpensive.

Deleted
    Played WoW since Vanilla, I think most gold I've ever had at one time is 400k after WoD.
    Never really needed gold and I think that's probably true for most players.
    I raid, get consumables, repair... and that's about it.. Don't need much gold for that. I hardly even use AH, except for those weeks I'm too bored to collect flask mats.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Considering there is significantly less gold coming out of Legion than WoD, I don't see how inflation is happening.

Unless you're basing it off token prices or something.
    Lmao whatttt. My god, I love to see uninformed comments like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    These posts about "gold squishes" are just actually dumb and don't make any sense. Here's the list of reasons why it won't happen and shouldn't happen.

1. If you're doing a gold squish, there's two ways to do it. One way is to just squish the gold numbers, but leave the items that generate gold (vendor trash, missions, quest rewards, etc.) the same. If you do this, all that will happen is the people that have a lot of gold because they know how to generate it effectively will just end up way ahead of the people that don't in short order. It accomplishes nothing.

2. The second way to do it is to squish everything - the vendor cost of stuff, the missions, the quest rewards, boss drops - every artificial gold generator. If you do that, you also accomplish nothing, because if you have half as much gold as someone before the squish, you have half as much gold as them after the squish, and your ability to generate gold to catch up has also been squished, so there's you're in the same relative position you were before the squish, making the entire exercise pointless. The only way you're going to "catch up" will be if you suddenly become better at playing the AH, getting gold from other players. Well, you can do the same thing with or without a gold squish.

3. A big reason why they will never do a gold squish is that they are effectively selling gold through tokens. Even if the squish doesn't affect the relative value of the gold people bought, lots of people won't understand that, don't read forums, and blue posts, and will be upset by it. Why would they put themselves in that situation?

4. Creating ways to sink gold out of the economy simply do not work. You can't drive the costs of gameplay essentials like repair costs, raiding consumables, gems, enchants, etc. in such a way that people can't afford them without significant amounts of time spent farming, because it's not 2004 anymore, and a lot of people will just quit rather than deal with that. That's the real cause of inflation - every expansion, they have to add in ways to generate gold like garrisons in WoD, missions and WQs in Legion, etc., because new players and players returning from breaks need to have the gold income to be able to support their basic gameplay needs. Take that away, and the multi millionaires won't care, because they will have the gold to pay for it, and will continue to generate more gold. It's the lower end of the spectrum that gets screwed. The richer players will then figure out ways to manipulate the hell out of those gold generators (i.e. the 10+ garrison alts in WoD), while they need to be accessible enough that the most casual of the player base can skate by.

5. The only way you can make real gold sinks is to have stuff that is entirely cosmetic, and not essential to gameplay or player power in any way, like the Legion spider mount for example. Stuff like that that the rich players can have for a status symbol, but there is absolutely no need to have is the only real gold sink that's possible. Even that's tricky, because the gold sink items have to be desirable enough for people to care about them (I have 11m gold and have no desire to drop 2m on that ugly spider I'd never want to use for example) but not so desirable that people that can't afford it feel left out, since they are still paying to play the game after all.

All in all, I don't think there's an actual solution to this "problem" that's not worse than the actual problem itself. If you want to catch up from a gold perspective, either put the time in, or get better at manipulating gold gains, or both. Don't ask for a useless system change that solves nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

If you put the time in, you can easily push ~400+ world quests a week with maybe 1-2 hours a day of playing time.
    - Put a follower with 2 x 50 gold and 1 x 25 gold items on = 125g/world quest = 50,000 gold/week from that alone
    - You will easily generate ~200 bloods of sargeras a week doing that many world quests, plus another 40,000 order resources if you have a 100 OR follower, so 40 more. You can typically cash in bloods for mats at about a rate of 200g/blood. That's another 48,000 gold/week and probably more if you have Alchemy (since Prolonged Power usually sells for somewhat more than mats).
    - Have enchanting. Even at Enchanting 1, you can DE anything. If you DE all the epic crap you get from WQ rewards, etc, you net around 200 Chaos Crystals a week. That, plus the Arkhana, etc. from greens is another ~40,000g/week
    - You probably get around another 60,000g/week from the base gold rewards from the WQ, plus vendor trash, mob gold, etc.
    - You should be able to do at least 2 order hall gold missions a day for an average 2300g return each. That's another ~32,000 gold

That puts you at a total of 230,000 g/week for something that just requires a single character, or an average of just under a million per month. There's 0 reason that anyone should be complaining about not being able to make enough gold in Legion, not being able to pay for a token, etc.

The issue of course is - the casual player who barely plays outside of raids is doing like 1/20 of that or less, but still needs to be able to afford flasks and gems and enchants and repairs or they will quit the game. They can't really scale back on those gold generators without driving those players right out of the game.
    Or you could just use your order halls on 12 toons and make over double that with 10% of the effort

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themanintobuildafire View Post
    Honestly if someone decided to run 20 toons to 110, gear them totally, run resources so that they can keep pumping out missions, and has it so they can somehow get 5k a day from missions, they deserve that gold. That is a ton of time investment.

I have 12 lvl 110s. I don't make 5k a day from my absolute best char with champions/follower relic %. Best I can do is 2500 or so and that doesn't come up every day.

Yes, it is free money and I probably make 1mil every 3 months or so from mission gold. The problem is the time needed to get resources to pump out missions consistently...it is a big time resource, and I want to stab myself from doing WQ.

The other ways to make gold are pretty bad too. I won't list them as I don't want them nerfed
    Because you're not trying. 500k a week is easily doable with 12 toons and checking your mobile app 3 times per day

- - - Updated - - -

Dude I have 6 very geared toons all with 950 champs with even some of the new Argus legendary equips, and sure I could easily get up to 10 or more fully leveled toons just to take advantage of that "sweet" order hall gold, but this is not an issue and you're exaggerating this beyond belief.

Nobody is doing what you're saying people are doing.

You see the issue in WOD was that you could do all that kind of shit with just your order hall as you had nearly infinite resources at your disposal (via missions that give resources and so on) so you could keep pumping out missions without ever leaving your garrison at all.

Legion class halls do not work the same way, you have to farm to get all those resources and in the process of farming you'll get more gold than you will ever get from your order hall just "passively" doing missions. Not to mention that it's actually quite a bit of work involved to get your order hall all maxed out and everything and have an adequate amount of resources at your disposal. There are far better ways to make gold than doing this.

Also those new Argus gold missions are not that frequent and cost a lot of resources.

The problem people are experiencing here is still a problem created by WOD, there just haven't been significant enough gold sinks in Legion to keep those people that exploited garrisons from still having massive amounts of gold. And plus people are cheap bastards and won't spend what they think is too much gold for an item on the auction house when they can just go out and farm it or something.

Now you'll rebuttal and say that getting order hall resources is easy. Well here's the thing. It's even EASIER if you spend Blood of Sargeras on them. Only if I did that instead of using Bloods to buy mats and make pots I would have far less gold and spend so very much more time in game just farming resources to do the missions.

Plus the fucking gold missions don't even come in every day as some posters have said here.

If you want to make gold in legion, have at least one toon with gathering profesions and another with alchemy and something like jewelcrafting, and use combat followers with equips that give you gold for completing world quests. The amount of gold I get if I clear all world quests and so on with all of my toons (or just one one of two of them) is far more than you will ever get from just sitting in your order hall doing missions.

Oh and I didn't even mention gold from clearing old raids. Do just that on a few toons every week and you'll pay your sub and then some no prob. Only issue is WOD raids, because you need at least 2 people to clear them all on mythic difficulty due to mechanics.
    Lmao what a moronic giant wall of nonsense. I make 500k+ a week. Try again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Class halls have no where near that rate of return. Sometimes an alt may go several days without a gold quest. Plus you need to farm resources to run the missions. You may see a return of 10k a day across 10+ characters if you're lucky. You can make more for your time targeting world quests for raw gold. Really though, AH flipping is still King.
    Wrongggg. Jesus christ, there's like 6 of you I've responded to, you're all talking like you actually know something when you're beyond dense when it comes to the subject. You'd have to be extremely talented to make 500k in profits a week like clockwork on the AH. Meanwhile I check a mobile app 3 times a day and spend a few hours on Monday cleaning up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    i read the second line of your post then i stopped because i have proof people ARE doing this, go argue with them they're the ones doing it.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ation-for-gold
    Lmao thank you. I literally contribute endless amounts of information on this subject in that thread and people still doubt the process

- - - Updated - - -

In summary, the people saying "this can't be done, order halls don't produce, blah blah blah" don't have a fucking clue about the subject, are in no way qualified to speak so definitively on said subject, and should probably sit down, shut their mouths, and do some research before talking. Because it's absurd to see so many people being so blatantly wrong
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore