Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    I hope you have a maid for the cleanup afterwards.
    The main goal when someone breaks into your home is to stop the threat. I have the legal right to assume they mean to do harm to myself or a family member. The mess afterwards is of no concern if the threat is stopped. A shotgun is more effective to the extent, you do not have to be as precise in your aim as you would with a handgun.

Carry a gun all the time?
    You must be crazy !

What if the gun malfunctioned?
    Carry at least three guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vettehenk View Post
    owning and resorting to guns is talked about as if you are talking about whats for dinner tonight. The sheer fact that a gun is an option for common people and promoted in such a fashion is the reason why your society is crumbling. While it is not illegal i would prefer you keep your gun promoting American "values" to yourself. This is still just a game forum.
    We are not crumbling. lol! More people die in the US from car crashes than they do from firearms used on other people. Twice as many.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The main goal when someone breaks into your home is to stop the threat. I have the legal right to assume they mean to do harm to myself or a family member. The mess afterwards is of no concern if the threat is stopped. A shotgun is more effective to the extent, you do not have to be as precise in your aim as you would with a handgun.
    The intruder most likely wants your tv, no need to blow him to pieces in the process. Your presence in the household is most likely plenty enough to scare away an intruder. A thief wouldn't look for confrontation, just some quick easy cash.

The mentality of wanting to kill another or maim another human because of trespassing or intrusion baffles me. Then again, I'm not American but if I were, I'd probably have a gun too since everyone else has one.

Pepper spray is dangerous. It can be taken and used against you, or activated accidentally by someone else -- for instance, a child. This can work, but make sure you know what you are getting into.

Guns are a good deterrent, but are far more dangerous, and if used improperly can lead to horrifying consequences. A good choice, but only for people who are entirely sure of what they are doing.

Knife is a joke. Alarm whistle/etc is also a joke. The former can be used against you and doesn't scare anyone who's going to try and rob you. The latter isn't going to scare off anyone, nor will it draw attention to you and save you.

A self defense course is excellent, but it should be used in addition to other deterrents, not instead of them.

I'm surprised tasers aren't on this list. They aren't perfect but it's an option as well. For anyone not comfortable with pepper spray or a gun, this is probably the best option.

The best self defense is avoiding situations where you are likely to run into trouble. Depending on where you live there's not necessarily a way to eliminate danger, but there is usually ways to reduce it. Awareness of surroundings is critical. If you need to do something late at night, it's best to bring a friend. Being in a group is always a good deterrent.

Good post, overall. I'm curious to see what other people have posted here.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2017-11-28 at 01:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    we got our shotgun from my grandpa, and it's soooo old. it's a 20ga. single shot lol.

the most modern gun we have a .22 that jams horrifically(i actually almost got attacked by a dog because of it).
    The shotgun would be better than a baseball bat or a kitchen knife. Even if it is a single shot. May be all you would need. I would get rid of the .22. Any firearm which you do not feel is going to be reliable, is not worth even having.

The idea of not having to aim a shotgun is another Hollywood myth. They don't actually spread as much as they do on TV. You still need to learn how to aim/shoot as you would with any other firearm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    The intruder most likely wants your tv, no need to blow him to pieces in the process. Your presence in the household is most likely plenty enough to scare away an intruder. A thief wouldn't look for confrontation, just some quick easy cash.

The mentality of wanting to kill another or maim another human because of trespassing or intrusion baffles me. Then again, I'm not American but if I were, I'd probably have a gun too since everyone else has one.
    I am not a mind reader, so I do not know that is all he wants or will do. Which is why I can take deadly action to stop him. It is not wanting to kill him as the goal. It is to stop the threat. It is unlawful in Ohio to shoot someone for simple trespassing. Inside your home or car however, is not simple trespassing. Thus the reason we have the Castle Law here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by misterpuk View Post
    The idea of not having to aim a shotgun is another Hollywood myth. They don't actually spread as much as they do on TV. You still need to learn how to aim/shoot as you would with any other firearm.
    Take a handgun and shoot the target at 20 feet in the center. Now multiply doing that in a hurry and under stress. Then do the same with a shotgun. It will be clear why the shotgun is going to be the better choice for most people. Of course you need to aim properly. But you will increase your chances of hitting vital parts of a body which will stop the attacker with a shotgun versus a handgun. Even at only 20 feet, you are going to get some spread.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-11-28 at 02:07 PM.

Furious masturbation while maintaining full eye contact.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

Self-danger from guns outweighs any safety they provide, on average. And liability in case of accidental or mistaken shooting of others could be devastating to your finances or freedom. So I suggest something non-lethal.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You must be crazy !

Which is unlikely. But it is one reason I prefer a revolver. I have had those for decades and have yet to have a single malfunction after unknown amounts of rounds fired thru mine. It is possible for any firearm to malfunction. But the design of the revolver reduces that chance significantly.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You must be crazy !

That didn't go where I thought it was going. well played +1

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    I'm never touching a gun for self-defense.

Been carrying pepper spray in my purse, though.
    Thanks for letting us know you are an easy target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Self-danger from guns outweighs any safety they provide, on average. And liability in case of accidental or mistaken shooting of others could be devastating to your finances or freedom. So I suggest something non-lethal.
    That is a important consideration. Choosing to have/use and carry a firearm also requires the one accepting that responsibility and be willing to know how to use one and the consequences involved if not used correctly. The same applies however to vehicles.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-11-28 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vettehenk View Post
    owning and resorting to guns is talked about as if you are talking about whats for dinner tonight. The sheer fact that a gun is an option for common people and promoted in such a fashion is the reason why your society is crumbling. While it is not illegal i would prefer you keep your gun promoting American "values" to yourself. This is still just a game forum.

Found the problem.

Deleted
    If I was living in the US, I think I might just get a gun for self-defense. Sure, you should have training and need to be careful, and things can go wrong - but overall, it still seems like a decent alternative.

Right now, though, I am not carrying anything with me. I am not particularly worried about something happening to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    If I was living in the US, I think I might just get a gun for self-defense. Sure, you should have training and need to be careful, and things can go wrong - but overall, it still seems like a decent alternative.

Right now, though, I am not carrying anything with me. I am not particularly worried about something happening to me.
    That is a good point. The need for self defense is going to depend on where you live for sure. But if I was a female and was going to be walking/running anywhere were nobody would be around, I for damn sure would not want to be caught defenseless. I would carry a firearm as my first choice no matter where it was, if it was legal to do so.

That is a good point. The need for self defense is going to depend on where you live for sure. But if I was a female and was going to be walking/running anywhere were nobody would be around, I for damn sure would not want to be caught defenseless. I would carry a firearm as my first choice no matter where it was, if it was legal to do so.
    Safer to just not go anywhere alone tbh. I always ask someone to come and pick me up or meet me at the bus station if I'm coming home late at nights. There's no fucking way I'm walking home alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    Safer to just not go anywhere alone tbh. I always ask someone to come and pick me up or meet me at the bus station if I'm coming home late at nights. There's no fucking way I'm walking home alone.
    That is being realistic and smart. Good to hear you are both.

Deleted
    I'm living in the second biggest Swedish city, and I oftentimes take walks alone, in the middle of the night, when literally no one is around. Maybe I am just too carefree in that regard, I don't know - but like I said, I am just not really scared about something happening; however, if it did, I guess I am out of luck.

Firearms aren't allowed here, but where they are, they seem like a good choice. Yeah, it can backfire (no pun intended), but so can other means of self-defense.