View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    here a source :https://www.ft.com/content/cabf22e2-...a-d9c0a5c8d5c9

cannot find a source for "Irish border keeps open" in a second. anybody else has something ?

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    here a source :https://www.ft.com/content/cabf22e2-...a-d9c0a5c8d5c9

cannot find a source for "Irish border keeps open" in a second. anybody else has something ?
    Subscription needed for your link.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...uld-reach-57bn

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidz View Post
    ah, more text but Irish border is still unsolved, says Guardian. the issue is to square a circle and i would like to see what May or Davis will say about in the days ahead

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    looks like the UK is finally throwing some dough at the EU : Britain set to agree divorce bill with EU that could cost £45bn to £55bn

further reports emerged that cabinet ministers in London had agreed negotiating positions on keeping the Irish border open and an ongoing role for the European Court of Justice in guaranteeing EU citizens’ rights.

Looks like the EU got thier way.
    Awesome!?!

If it wasn't for the fact I live in the UK and I have to put up with this lot for the next five years before Corbyn and his croonies put the final nail in the UK coffin I'd be having a jolly good laugh at their complete and utter ineptitude.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    will Boris J. get along or is it time for the knives now ?

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    will Boris J. get along or is it time for the knives now ?
    He'll mumble, stammer a bit, claim that he never meant any if it and it'll all be forgotten cos he was like really funny on Have I Got News For You a few years back.

Personally the thing I am happiest about is that by paying this figure we are making sure that our saviour, Sir Nigel, will be able to keep snout firmly in the EU trough.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Eagerly waiting for dribbles to explain how this is a victory for the UK.
    That's going to be interesting. If him and floopa ever find themselves in Bulgaria, I'd like to go for a drink with them - they seem like they know how to have fun/carry good conversations.
    Remember kiddies, hope was the last evil in Pandora's box.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Eagerly waiting for dribbles to explain how this is a victory for the UK.
    you called? https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...ey-theresa-may

And note the keywords in your links could/should/proposed/maybe/possibly payment.
    And remember nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.
    And remember on Ireland, the Irish republic don't want a border and will not install one, the UK don't want a border and will not install one, Northern Ireland don't want a border and will not install one. Who wants a border? The EU that's who, let them install and police the border.

Nothing to see here, nothing has changed, still well on course for no deal - wonderful news.

486 days to independence day, tick tock!
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post

And note the keywords in your links could/should/proposed/maybe/possibly payment.
    And remember on Ireland, the Irish republic don't want a border and will not install one, the UK don't want a border and will not install one, Northern Ireland don't want a border and will not install one. Who wants a border? The EU that's who, let them install and police the border.

Nothing to see here, nothing has changed, still well on course for no deal - wonderful news.

How does the UK stop substandard products being imported into the UK via Ireland if there is no border and no customs union?

Wow, the comments on that article are something else! I particularly like this one from LarryPitt "PM. This is your one last Margret Thatcher moment. Blow it and you are finished. Stand tall and tell them straight." What do you think Larry would have made of this?

Last edited by Pann; 2017-11-28 at 11:40 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    How does the UK stop substandard products being imported into the UK via Ireland if there is no border and no customs union?
    The same way it does now. Do you really think barrels of Guiness which attract different tax rates in the UK vs Ireland are going to stop flowing from Dublin and the tax not paid? It's not complex....
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Deleted
    The same way it does now. Do you really think barrels of Guiness which attract different tax rates in the UK vs Ireland are going to stop flowing from Dublin and the tax not paid? It's not complex....
    so we are staying in the single market then? 'the same way it does now' means we need a deal. ok. thanks for clearing that up.

7+ Year Old Account
    so we are staying in the single market then? 'the same way it does now' means we need a deal. ok. thanks for clearing that up.
    No, we don't need any deal. I know its hard to find any EU fanbois with any common sense, and you obviously didn't get the guinness example so here is another. The island of Ireland has one electric company supplying the whole of Ireland. On a no deal situation do you seriously believe the lights will go out on one side of the island? lols get a grip.

Deleted
    No, we don't need any deal. I know its hard to find any EU fanbois with any common sense, and you obviously didn't get the guinness example so here is another. The island of Ireland has one electric company supplying the whole of Ireland. On a no deal situation do you seriously believe the lights will go out on one side of the island? lols get a grip.
    Your fundemental inability to understand legal framework in reguard to 3rd countries and the EU single market is not my problem. I always try and aim my posts in way that might make you think critically. You manage to disappoint every time.

How can you ensure that sub standard products do not enter the UK if you have no border?

At this point, i'm reminded of the old American World War 2 slogan: "Is this trip really necessary?"

The UK, after Brexit, would not be able to enforce customs between the ROI and mainland Europe, as they would impede on the sovereignty of another nation. If it also neglects to secure the border between ROI and NI, allowing free transfer of goods between them, then it allows de facto free trade between the two groups. Why wouldn't, in that case, the MPN clause of the WTO rules apply? You still have not answered this question from like 20-odd pages ago. You're the one who wants WTO rules, so you need to be able to explain how they would apply.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your fundemental inability to understand legal framework in reguard to 3rd countries and the EU single market is not my problem. I always try and aim my posts in way that might make you think critically. You manage to disappoint every time.

How can you ensure that sub standard products do not enter the UK if you have no border?
    Is there such a thing as sub standard electrons? I suppose there must be. If they must be inspected for quality control reasons because perhaps they are not compliant enough for EU regulations, perhaps they are a bit bent or not round enough, then the EU should feel free to get the inspectors in to check each and every electron. The UK nor Ireland will have no part in such nonsense I'd wager.

And for clarification on this supposed increased sum that the UK is reportedly paying, yet denied by some sources, even if true what an almighty climb down by the EU.

Their initial position was that before trade talks could begin immediate payment by the UK should be made to cover past commitments made. Now they are saying it can be paid sometime never maybe at some undefined future point, as the liabilities arise. Finally it dawns on the EU what a weak hand they have, some sense after all. They must finally realise they need us more than we need them :P

But it still doesn't matter as our good Irish friends are saying they will veto any deal anyway.

Sláinte from the Brexit Brits to Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    The UK, after Brexit, would not be able to enforce customs between the ROI and mainland Europe, as they would impede on the sovereignty of another nation. If it also neglects to secure the border between ROI and NI, allowing free transfer of goods between them, then it allows de facto free trade between the two groups. Why wouldn't, in that case, the MPN clause of the WTO rules apply? You still have not answered this question from like 20-odd pages ago. You're the one who wants WTO rules, so you need to be able to explain how they would apply.
    No one is proposing a customs border between ROI and the EU. The UK and Ireland want trade and electricity to flow freely from North to South just as they do now. Are the EU so dictatorial they will cut the power and plunge one side into darkness? Are you saying under WTO rules that one country with a third country cannot negotiate a free trade deal? You see I think they can, it happens all the time all over the world, just not very often with the EU.

Is there such a thing as sub standard electrons? I suppose there must be. If they must be inspected for quality control reasons because perhaps they are not compliant enough for EU regulations, perhaps they are a bit bent or not round enough, then the EU should feel free to get the inspectors in to check each and every electron. The UK nor Ireland will have no part in such nonsense I'd wager.

And for clarification on this supposed increased sum that the UK is reportedly paying, yet denied by some sources, even if true what an almighty climb down by the EU.

Their initial position was that before trade talks could begin immediate payment by the UK should be made to cover past commitments made. Now they are saying it can be paid sometime never maybe at some undefined future point, as the liabilities arise. Finally it dawns on the EU what a weak hand they have, some sense after all. They must finally realise they need us more than we need them :P

But it still doesn't matter as our good Irish friends are saying they will veto any deal anyway.

Sláinte from the Brexit Brits to Ireland!

No one is proposing a customs border between ROI and the EU. The UK and Ireland want trade and electricity to flow freely from North to South just as they do now. Are the EU so dictatorial they will cut the power and plunge one side into darkness? Are you saying under WTO rules that one country with a third country cannot negotiate a free trade deal? You see I think they can, it happens all the time all over the world, just not very often with the EU.
    Ireland is part of the EU and as such cannot negotiate free trade agreements independently.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Ireland is part of the EU and as such cannot negotiate free trade agreements independently.
    You can't do a lot in this protectionist EU club can you? No wonder millions of people want to leave. Does it work for or against its citizens? Here's one for you, why don't the EU recognise the special circumstances that the island of Ireland presents and designate all trade on that island for EU purposes only as domestic local trade rather than international?

Too simple? or are the EU just using the Irish peoples as a tool to beat on the British?