Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb Playing WoW in Japan

So I’m building a PC to play WoW again, but I have a bit of a problem. I live in Japan and I have no idea which server I should use to get the experience that I want. I can’t read Japanese and the time zones are extremely different from those in the US. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I should look to find a server to suit my desire to raid?

You got the option of US and Oceanic, both of which would have a time zone issue... but I'd say you're better off on the US servers.

Just play on australian servers. The time difference is smaller than on US servers. Raids will start a bit early (6ish), but you can easily join guilds and play during active server times.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    You got the option of US and Oceanic, both of which would have a time zone issue... but I'd say you're better off on the US servers.
    Why would you say I’m better off with US servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Loutzi View Post
    Just play on australian servers. The time difference is smaller than on US servers. Raids will start a bit early (6ish), but you can easily join guilds and play during active server times.
    I thought of this, seems like my best option.

Quote Originally Posted by khores View Post
    Why would you say I’m better off with US servers.
    More weebs on the US server. :^)

Deleted
    So I’m building a PC to play WoW again, but I have a bit of a problem. I live in Japan and I have no idea which server I should use to get the experience that I want. I can’t read Japanese and the time zones are extremely different from those in the US. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I should look to find a server to suit my desire to raid?
    As others have pointed out, the Oceanic servers should be in the same-ish timezone and probably have the shortest latency for .jp

I'd agree with going on Oceanic servers.

Timewise japan is only about 2 hours behind of AEST (The time zone of most of the country), and lag wise, when I play Final Fantasy XIV, I've found I get much less lag on their Japanese servers (as someone who is in Australia) versus the US servers.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Never thought I'd see someone else playing WoW from Japan

Like the others have said, if you want to raid you you pretty much have to go OCE servers as time difference won't be much of a problem. You shouldn't have high ms either.

There are no Japanese servers for WoW since the game was never introduced to the Japanese market which is a bad move since Japan is the biggest gaming industry but you should obviously stick with the US servers. I have the same problem with you but my issue is that i can't pay subscription here because there are no Blizzard cards anywhere in the Japanese stores, they sell only Steam and PSN cards that's why i wish Blizzard would bring their stuff on Steam since its the primary gaming network

That must be hard work not being able to read Japanese while living in Japan, I hear it's a lot more difficult than learning to speak the language but damn the struggle must be real. As for WoW servers, you can just create trial accounts in various regions and see which works out the best for you? You can play up to level 20 without any subscription.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Scyth View Post
    Never thought I'd see someone else playing WoW from Japan

Like the others have said, if you want to raid you you pretty much have to go OCE servers as time difference won't be much of a problem. You shouldn't have high ms either.
    But how exactly are you paying WoW from here? I don't have credit card or paypal and i can't find Blizzard wallet cards anywhere, i was forced to buy Steam gift cards and trade them with Steam friends that are in the US in exchange with Blizzard cards but now i slowly can't do that anymore and i have a hard time in paying subscripton for WoW

Well if you can speak chinese or korean, pick one of these. If English is your primary language, then go for Oceanic. You should be in a similar timezone and latency should be pretty good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfezen View Post
    But how exactly are you paying WoW from here? I don't have credit card or paypal and i can't find Blizzard wallet cards anywhere, i was forced to buy Steam gift cards and trade them with Steam friends that are in the US in exchange with Blizzard cards but now i slowly can't do that anymore and i have a hard time in paying subscripton for WoW
    Get grinding gold then? I know 250k per month is extremely difficult to grind if you don't play all day long, but seems to be your only choice.

Just buy gametime cards?!

I also live in Japan and play on EU server (because I already had a well progressed account there when I came to Japan) and I barely have any issues. My ping is around 250 but it's barely noticable. I've been doing BGs lately and it hasn't really been an obstacle (the only reason we are losing is just me being a noob as usual xD). I play on Twisting Nether EU (Blood Elf Retri Pala) and the rest of my characters are Alliance on Argent Dawn.

If you decide to pick EU we could even play together (trying to find a raiding guild atm). Yoroshiku!

(Also I speak Japanese, it's actually why I am here in Japan xD so I can help you if you are in need of help)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm paying for my sub using MasterCard

I used to pay with gold, which is the best option really, as long as you can grind the necessary gold in time. Now I'm paying by card. Honestly not sure what other way there is.

@Shinrael I'm on EU as well and still refuse to buy the US game as I'm just too attached to my account, although I don't really do much in game nowadays. Good luck finding a guild, almost impossible finding a daytime raiding guild (in EU). I used to raid with a few guys in EN but didn't last long. A shame really as I really want to raid.
    Last edited by Scyth; 2017-11-29 at 11:46 AM.

I’d sa oceanic servers. To be fair you probably have better latency than many Australian players anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    I’d sa oceanic servers. To be fair you probably have better latency than many Australian players anyway.
    I get around 150ms on the Oceanic servers from here. Not sure if that's similar to what they get?

Quote Originally Posted by Scyth View Post
    I used to pay with gold, which is the best option really, as long as you can grind the necessary gold in time. Now I'm paying by card. Honestly not sure what other way there is.

@Shinrael I'm on EU as well and still refuse to buy the US game as I'm just too attached to my account, although I don't really do much in game nowadays. Good luck finding a guild, almost impossible finding a daytime raiding guild (in EU). I used to raid with a few guys in EN but didn't last long. A shame really as I really want to raid.
    Oh, really! You should add me just in case:

Sunstorm#2728

And btw, idk about the guild, but I am raiding Antorus NM right now with a pug and its going very nice ^^