Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I realized the other day that I haven't carried any sort of self-defense since I lived in Chicago, and that I really should start carrying something to protect myself and my very wimpy 70-lb Golden Retriever when we are on walks. Just in case.

What sort of self defense weapon do you recommend overall, and why?

https://www.range365.com/best-self-defense-handgun
    http://www.selfdefenseninja.com/
    https://www.asecurelife.com/self-defense-without-a-gun/

I'd like to take some classes on how to shoot one day (I grew up in AK and it's a bit shameful that I don't know how to shoot), but if I do it would likely be for rifle use for hunting game rather than self-defense.
    Get training from Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, and those giant spiders on Monster Island. YOU WILL BE WOKE.

A .45 and a shovel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Name 1 country with 0 robberies.
    Off-topic but you obviously don't get how weird and disturbing this thread looks.

We don't have zero robberies or muggings in europe, but people generally don't feel the need to carry a firearm to walk a dog.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Hahaha I would totally haul one of those around!
    I would imagine your chances of being attacked by a medieval fortification are low. Unless those theme parks you people have are getting really out of hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I’d recommend living in 2017 in a developed nation.
    Yeah, women never get attacked in a developed nation!
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Off-topic but you obviously don't get how weird and disturbing this thread looks.
    Indeed to us Europeans it does look disturbing. When I walk around on the streets I don't have to worry about guns, because by far most people don't own or have access to guns. Of course, there's always a slim chance because there is (legal and illegal) gun possession over here. But by keeping it much more under control, I think a lot of harm can be avoided.
    In the U.S. many people already own guns, so the only thing other people can do is also get a gun to have a chance of protecting themselves. As seen all over this thread. A vicious circle that seems irreparable.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    Indeed to us Europeans it does look disturbing. When I walk around on the streets I don't have to worry about guns, because by far most people don't own or have access to guns. Of course, there's always a slim chance because there is (legal and illegal) gun possession over here. But by keeping it much more under control, I think a lot of harm can be avoided.
    In the U.S. many people already own guns, so the only thing other people can do is also get a gun to have a chance of protecting themselves. As seen all over this thread. A vicious circle that seems irreparable.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604
    I would want to be able to carry a handgun even if they were rare over here. It really has nothing to do with that. The firearm is a great equalizer for self defense.

Deleted
    The Basics of CQC

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post

We don't have zero robberies or muggings in europe, but people generally don't feel the need to carry a firearm to walk a dog.
    Most people in America don't feel the need to either. Some do and it is their right to do so here.

I carry a ruger SR 45. good lightweight polymer gun, quick load and reliable. 45 maybe too much punch for some tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Most people in America don't feel the need to either. Some do and it is their right to do so here.
    True. It is not as common as the media and some think here. The large majority of people do not carry a firearm. For one, of the 3 top highest populated states, two of them have strict carry laws.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    True. It is not as common as the media and some think here. The large majority of people do not carry a firearm. For one, of the 3 top highest populated states, two of them have strict carry laws.
    The problem is, everyone who wants to, does. Most of them are bad people.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The problem is, everyone who wants to, does. Most of them are bad people.
    Nope. Everyone does not want to. And most who do, are law abiding and responsible owners.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Nope. Everyone does not want to. And most who do, are law abiding and responsible owners.
    That's a very naive outlook.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Millions of people owns guns. Only about 10k people die from guns while not related to suicide.

The vast majority of gun owners are responsible owners.

10+ Year Old Account
    You made the original claim, now back it up with some facts.

I will give you one example, in the state I live in, everyone who can legally have one and is a resident of the state, can apply for a carry/conceal license. Of the 5- 6 million or so of the population who can, only about 10% have chosen to. The number of those who have the license and then commit a crime is extremely low.

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control...ncealed-carry/
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-11-29 at 02:29 PM.

I recommend fast legs.

Deleted
    not a gun for sure

10+ Year Old Account
    @Ghostpanther Come on, please stop with the gun stats arguments. Leave that for the gun control thread because that's pretty much what it centers around.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Ghostpanther Come on, please stop with the gun stats arguments. Leave that for the gun control thread because that's pretty much what it centers around.
    Sorry bungee, but it is related to the thread. Carrying a handgun is one of the options and some may want to know the pros and cons of such. Do not read the thread if it bothers you that much. Besides, it is up to the mods to decide if a post is off topic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    I recommend fast legs.
    That may work. Then again..you are gambling that the attacker is not faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Ghostpanther There's a whole damned gun control thread to argue with the Europeans, so no it isn't particularly relevant. You're fueling the whole bit about what constitutes responsible ownership. Yes, it is up to the mods, so I'll keep reporting it. Still, you could attempt a modicum of civility and common sense. Assume your last question gets answered (it won't). How did that help answer OP's question? You're just grinding your personal axe, and have for pages now.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2017-11-29 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typos
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.