Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Ghostpanther There's a whole damned gun control thread to argue with the Europeans, so no it isn't particularly relevant. You're fueling the whole bit about what constitutes responsible ownership. Yes, it is up to the mods, so I'll keep reporting it. Still, you could attempt a modicum of civility and common sense. Assume your last question gets answered (it won't). How did that help answer OP's question? You're just grinding your personal axe, and have for pages now.

Do what you want and think what you want to.

And which post did I not answer?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Millions of people owns guns. Only about 10k people die from guns while not related to suicide.

The vast majority of gun owners are responsible owners.
    I don't follow your logic. 10k in what time frame? Did they stop killing people with guns at 10k, like it's over 9000 we can stop now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You made the original claim, now back it up with some facts.

I will give you one example, in the state I live in, everyone who can legally have one and is a resident of the state, can apply for a carry/conceal license. Of the 5- 6 million or so of the population who can, only about 10% have chosen to. The number of those who have the license and then commit a crime is extremely low.

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control...ncealed-carry/
    Concealed carry is irrelevant, I never mentioned it. I said "owned". A bad person doesn't need a conceal carry license to conceal carry. Hence your stats are irrelevant.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Disengage, deescalate, leave the area, use diplomacy, use subterfuge, are always the 1st options....the only other viable option is a firearm which should be used only if the previous options have failed or are not viable to the situation.
    Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one

-Martin Heidegger

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I don't follow your logic. 10k in what time frame? Did they stop killing people with guns at 10k, like it's over 9000 we can stop now?

Concealed carry is irrelevant, I never mentioned it. I said "owned". A bad person doesn't need a conceal carry license to conceal carry. Hence your stats are irrelevant.
    Of the total population in the state of Ohio, only about 10% of them have chosen to get the carry concealed license. I do not know of a way to make that clearer. If you are caught carrying concealed a firearm, it is a serous crime here. The stats for those arrested for doing so, will show them to be extremely low. Assuming otherwise is just guessing.

Carry concealed is relevant to the thread topic. As the OP was asking what was the best defense weapon and expressed her reasons for wanting to know. Of course you are free to dismiss the stats I posted, but you have yet to provide any proof to back up your claim but feelings.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Ghostpanther What I want to do is see a thread discussing self defense. I want to discuss self defense, I'm willing to discuss guns in that context. If I want to read about gun control, I go to that thread. Is a particular rifle perhaps a reasonable choice for home defense? If I recall I backed you up on that -- because it directly addressed the OP, not a discussion of if gun owners are bad people.

What question didn't you answer?
    Assume your last question gets answered (it won't).
    Remember diagramming sentences? Care to reread that?

I'll answer for @Elim Garak Criminals are bad people. Not all guns are carried by legal gun owners. Criminals also carry guns, thus many of those carrying guns are demonstrably bad people. Now, how did that answer OP's question?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

This may seem like an odd answer but if you live in, lets say, a flood danger area or a hurricane risk area, or even in Chi-Raq, then the best course of action is to not live there at all. But being that you are in Chicago of all places, you need to fight fire with fire. Get a gun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HammondQ View Post
    Disengage, deescalate, leave the area, use diplomacy, use subterfuge, are always the 1st options....the only other viable option is a firearm which should be used only if the previous options have failed or are not viable to the situation.
    Those are always the preferred first steps in cases of self defense. Using deadly force should always be the last option. In Ohio, we are not a Stand your Ground law state. We are obligated by law, to retreat ( outside in public areas, does not apply to your home or car ) from a aggressive encounter if the option is available. Some states however, such as Florida, allow the citizen the right to not retreat if threatened. One needs to know the laws of the state they live in.

Well this is america so you need an ar-15 with a bump stock, for a pistol make sure every pistol is muzzled, you know when your shooting someone dont want to wake up your kids too.

If you're looking for a gun, I'd say a caliber with enough stopping power to do the job, but won't kick hard enough to not put multiple shots on target. I got my wife a Glock 23 .40 for her birthday for this reason, she loves it. It's (imo) in the sweet spot between 9mm and a .45. Plus, using hollow point rounds, you really only need to put one bullet in their chest/stomach.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of the total population in the state of Ohio, only about 10% of them have chosen to get the carry concealed license.
    You are not listening. Bad people can legally buy a gun. Bad people don't need a conceal carry license to carry a gun, because they are bad people. Of course if they are caught they get in trouble. But it's not that easy to get in such a trouble if you conceal carry. I don't believe cops search everybody on spot, do they now? Most likely not. And a bad person with a gun without a carry license will not go to places where they can be searched on the spot or where there's a metal detector or other methods of gun detection.

I'm dismissing your stats for irrelevancy. Do you understand? People with conceal carry license are, as you say, law abiding and responsible. Good for them. But they are only 10% of people who own a gun, and most gun owners are bad people, exactly because they don't get the license. I just don't understand why wouldn't they get such a license if they want to own a gun, with such a license there's less hassle to deal with their precious gun. But you need to get registered to get it and it's hard to commit a crime with a registered gun (under your name that is) and get away with it.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2017-11-29 at 03:03 PM.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    This may seem like an odd answer but if you live in, lets say, a flood danger area or a hurricane risk area, or even in Chi-Raq, then the best course of action is to not live there at all. But being that you are in Chicago of all places, you need to fight fire with fire. Get a gun.
    It is a fair question. There are places I simply would not live in if at all possible. One would be certain areas of Chicago. But I grew up as a teenager in Cleveland Ohio in a very high crime area and would certainly not want to live there. My self defense? I really only had one legal option. I was a very fast runner. In the attempts of gangs wanting to beat my ass, I always managed to outrun them.

But that is not a realistic option now. lol! The best solution in any bad situation is to avoid it if you can. Which I do. But I am not going to live in fear of not being able to successfully defend myself or family if attacked and even tho I live in a relatively safe area now, I still like the option of carrying a equalizer. The handgun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhidhg View Post
    If you aint stupid or careless then i would say get a gun.
    She making a serious post on mmo-champion forum for weapon recommendations. What do you think?

It is a fair question. There are places I simply would not live in if at all possible. One would be certain areas of Chicago. But I grew up as a teenager in Cleveland Ohio in a very high crime area and would certainly not want to live there. My self defense? I really only had one legal option. I was a very fast runner. In the attempts of gangs wanting to beat my ass, I always managed to outrun them.

But that is not a realistic option now. lol! The best solution in any bad situation is to avoid it if you can. Which I do. But I am not going to live in fear of not being able to successfully defend myself or family if attacked and even tho I live in a relatively safe area now, I still like the option of carrying a equalizer. The handgun.
    I actually enjoyed the conceal carry course my wife and I took. I'm sure it varies where you get it, but they did a good job of stressing the basics of gun safety, using the good ole military rules of gun use. It took our entire Saturday and Sunday, but it was well worth it for people who don't know a lot about guns.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    If you're looking for a gun, I'd say a caliber with enough stopping power to do the job, but won't kick hard enough to not put multiple shots on target. I got my wife a Glock 23 .40 for her birthday for this reason, she loves it. It's (imo) in the sweet spot between 9mm and a .45. Plus, using hollow point rounds, you really only need to put one bullet in their chest/stomach.
    That is the most important reason to pick the type of weapon you want for self defense. But there are other factors one should consider. Weight and size of the weapon. For example, even tho a .380 is a small caliber, the weapons are usually much smaller and weigh a considerable less than the larger caliber firearms. Thus making them more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal.

Most self defense occurrences are going to be in very close range. One can also apply this logic to the reasons for wanting to carry a knife. Lite weight and easy to conceal.

Deleted
    Well, I was surprised with the number of votes "Gun" got. Gosh, I think self-defense is usually enough.

The best defense is a cool head and a swift kick to the balls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    I actually enjoyed the conceal carry course my wife and I took. I'm sure it varies where you get it, but they did a good job of stressing the basics of gun safety, using the good ole military rules of gun use. It took our entire Saturday and Sunday, but it was well worth it for people who don't know a lot about guns.
    Same here. It was a great course and I learned some things. Important ones such as the laws in Ohio on what is legal and illegal. And they went over the different type of firearms and the pros and cons of each. I personally think every one who purchases a firearm, the same type of class should be required. Incorporate the cost of such into the purchase of the firearm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nyshade View Post
    Well, I was surprised with the number of votes "Gun" got. Gosh, I think self-defense is usually enough.
    Lol! You are not defending yourself successfully if you fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Hahaha I would totally haul one of those around!
    @Celista haul one of these around you'll look very fashionable doing so.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Same here. It was a great course and I learned some things. Important ones such as the laws in Ohio on what is legal and illegal. And they went over the different type of firearms and the pros and cons of each. I personally think every one who purchases a firearm, the same type of class should be required. Incorporate the cost of such into the purchase of the firearm.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol! You are not defending yourself successfully if you fail.
    Well, I don't know, I'm not pro-guns so it seems a bit excessive to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    @Celista haul one of these around you'll look very fashionable doing so.
    My wife bought a couple meat shredders which when you hold them they look like you are Wolverine. lol! I would think they honestly could be used to do some serous damage. Not sure how you would carry them however, other than run with them in your hands. :P Also they may still be illegal to carry concealed here in Ohio. But they would not be out in the open.