Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The WoW vanilla paradox.

So, genuine questions for you all to ponder.

Patch 1.6.0 was released 12th July 2005 (9 months in). It was the first of the class revamp patches of Vanilla, with major changes to both Warriors and Warlocks. You can see the patch progression here: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patches/1.x. This obviously highlights which classes were functional to an extent, and which required more immediate fixes.

The question is, who had the "true" vanilla experience; the Warrior/Warlock player that played for 9 months prior to 1.6.0 or the Warrior/Warlock player that played post class revamp for 15+ months?

And if those changes are "ok" for Classic WoW servers, shouldn't all other classes be allowed to have their revamps included?

If not, then which classes do you discriminate against? Why afford Warriors and Warlocks their changes but force other classes to stay in a broken state?

And if you don't allow any of the revamps, then is it truly a Vanilla experience?

We don't think flying makes questing quicker. We think it makes it trivial. There is a difference. Source
    How does flying trivialise this quest?
    Cherry picking data, have a read.

Honestly doesnt matter what, as long as its close to vanilla people will play it
    Shadowlands - Server first 60 Rogue on Tarren-Mill EU
    Classic - Server first 60 Rogue on Gandling EU
    Server first Ragnaros, World 6th

I am still of the opinion classic should be it's pre-naxx state. Maybe release AQ and Naxx later as "patches".

if u want to revamp certain classes to make them equal to other dps classes it would be a severe nerf to content as a whole. removing that feeling of having a tough time.

Mechanics/Talents should be 1.12

No reason to play a broken game. Bug fixes and balance changes are things that should've been done from the start. They just didn't have time to do it on launch.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aktavite View Post

Patch 1.6.0 was released 12th July 2005 (9 months in). It was the first of the class revamp patches of Vanilla, with major changes to both Warriors and Warlocks. You can see the patch progression here: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patches/1.x. This obviously highlights which classes were functional to an extent, and which required more immediate fixes.

The question is, who had the "true" vanilla experience; the Warrior/Warlock player that played for 9 months prior to 1.6.0 or the Warrior/Warlock player that played post class revamp for 15+ months?

And if those changes are "ok" for Classic WoW servers, shouldn't all other classes be allowed to have their revamps included?

If not, then which classes do you discriminate against? Why afford Warriors and Warlocks their changes but force other classes to stay in a broken state?

And if you don't allow any of the revamps, then is it truly a Vanilla experience?
    I only played paladin in beta (that would be pre-1.0) but never even got close to 60 and warrior from patch 1.9 but I find that the common consensus seem to be that 1.12.1 is the optimal version of vanilla and I would agree with that assessment.

EDIT: I believe you made this thread to incite war, like most other vanilla-haters here.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    EDIT: I believe you made this thread to incite war, like most other vanilla-haters here.
    QFT /1char

Deleted
    They should start at patch 1.1 and progress through, it's the only way to give an authentic vanilla experience, if they go with 1.12 patch they'll have way more work because all the content will need buffs/tweaks to be at it's original difficulty, so going trough the patches is easier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jpedrote52 View Post
    They should start at patch 1.1 and progress through, it's the only way to give an authentic vanilla experience, if they go with 1.12 patch they'll have way more work because all the content will need buffs/tweaks to be at it's original difficulty, so going trough the patches is easier.
    So if you dont start playing on day 1, you miss parts of the experience... again.

I really can't see a progression from patch to patch.

Quote Originally Posted by jpedrote52 View Post
    Nothing will be the original difficulty because most of the difficulty was the lack of resources available on fights at the time. We now know what every boss is going to do and when they are going to do it. THere is also a whole group of addon developers that will make better addons then what was available at the time of vanilla, I know this because there was a bunch of private addons in vanilla(like Deus Vox's raid utilities that Olgal and a few others developed). And it will not start at 1.1 because at 1.1 there are huge holes in playability for many classes as well as the fact that out of combat resing will not be a thing in "new" vanilla.
    Last edited by Chaelexi; 2017-11-29 at 03:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Using Molten Core LFR and Naxx25 as rough estimates (not exact because both were intentionally undertuned, Naxx10/25 to get people into raiding and so more people could experience the fights, Molten Core as it was part of an anniversary event), the hardest part of Vanilla is going to be the pre-20 early game experience (before you begin gearing up in dungeon blues and have to cope with small health/mana pools on every class without a viable, spammable AoE option on classes like mage and paladin) and endgame raiding (more due to the time commitment and numerical difficulty than mechanical complexity).

That being said, most private servers run the 1.12 client and code it to progress through the patches, including class balancing, as content is completed by the community. And after launch, so long as they adhere to the core design ethos for Vanilla, if they want to do further class balancing and revisit old patch/expansion ideas using existing map files found in the 1.12 client, more power to 'em. Maybe once Naxx is cleared, keep a 'pure' Classic realm pool and a progression realm pool with new post-Naxx content that follows the same design ethos as MC through Naxx. If they're hiring a whole new team for Classic, this could include artists so artists aren't peeled off from Battle for Azeroth and expansion 9.0 development.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    Nothing will be the original difficulty because most of the difficulty was the lack of resources available on fights at the time. We now know what every boss is going to do and when they are going to do it. THere is also a whole group of addon developers that will make better addons then what was available at the time of vanilla, I know this because there was a bunch of private addons in vanilla(like Deus Vox's raid utilities that Olgal and a few others developed). And it will not start at 1.1 because at 1.1 there are huge holes in playability for many classes as well as the fact that out of combat resing will not be a thing in "new" vanilla.
    Raiding wise I can agree with what you're saying. Leveling wise, I don't agree. If you use the 1.12 patch, leveling will be significantly easier. If they use the 1.12 patch and balance the raids and dungeons, they are going to have to balance the leveling mobs also. That is a lot of changes to something that is supposed to be the authentic vanilla experience. I liked leveling in Vanilla because it took a while and was challenging. Leveling was an actual part of the game instead of a chore to get to the real game like it is now.

Deleted
    I don't care about the patch version, I just want my windfury be able to proc on my 1st windfury proc

This is all I want, I mean whoop some ass

Deleted
    Vanilla with making every spec viable to a minimum...whatever that leads to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by happy jumping car View Post
    I don't care about the patch version, I just want my windfury be able to proc on my 1st windfury proc

This is all I want, I mean whoop some ass
    You dont need this. 'Regular' WF proc with crits was already OP as shit. IMO the proc on a proc wasn't intended and there is no chance to see it in classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    You dont need this. 'Regular' WF proc with crits was already OP as shit. IMO the proc on a proc wasn't intended and there is no chance to see it in classic.
    it was 100% intended, it procced an extra auto attack. Like a real auto attack, not a yellow attack. Same as thrash blade and hand of justice.

Deleted
    Which patch they fixed it anyway ? BC ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aktavite View Post

It's very, very simple really. If it happened before the pre-TBC patch, it's vanilla. End.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikkarra View Post
    it was 100% intended, it procced an extra auto attack. Like a real auto attack, not a yellow attack. Same as thrash blade and hand of justice.
    For the whole vanilla era ?

For the whole vanilla era ?
    Seems it was patched in 1.4, could have sworn it was later on.