Thread: pepper help!

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

pepper help!

so i have this bag of random peppers. i identified a couple of them as madam jeanette peppers but i'm not sure about the others. they are long and orange. several of them are red. i know what they aren't. i'm going to roast them in a oven but i'm not sure if i should roast them seperately or together. also why do peppers need to be charred? i want to cook them but leave the spicyness intact. the oranges look like aji amarillos. the red's look like a scotch bonnet or hot paper lantern chile. i looked at a couple ways to cook them but i'm not sure what the proper way to cook them is. i bought them at a farmer's market. i was wondering also what would be the best way to make them? roasted, pan fried, or put into a blender and made into a salsa of sorts. also anyone know any good recipes for them WITHOUT ONIONS?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2017-11-29 at 07:33 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Make your own hot sauce and bottle it, there are plenty of recipes on youtube.

Best way to prepare them is to chop them up finely in the garbage disposal. Hot peppers are so gross.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I have no love for hot peppers. My mom was Mexican (she passed away years ago), and grew her own peppers, several different species of it. She used to make this concoction out of it and stored it in the fridge to use as a "hot sauce" for her meals. This also was used as a form of punishment for myself and my siblings when we got out of line. Needless to say, my senses are now all screwed up because of this. Basically, any food I eat that has some spice in it, regardless if it's mild or hot, my nose runs and eyes water. The smell of jalapenos now makes me very sick, to the point of vomiting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Best way to prepare them is to chop them up finely in the garbage disposal. Hot peppers are so gross.
    they are delicious. onions are gross. just for this i'm gonna send you a packet of hot peppers.
    what is wrong with you people?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    they are delicious. onions are gross. just for this i'm gonna send you a packet of hot peppers.
    what is wrong with you people?
    i want a packet of hot peppers pls

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    habanero and ghost peppers actually taste amazing. it's jalapenos that are nasty.

idk nothing about identifying them. but i say eat them all, no matter the type.

though like, if any of them are bulbous with a small wrinkly bit on the bottom, that's a ghost pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    habanero and ghost peppers actually taste amazing. it's jalapenos that are nasty.
    This is truth.

As for cooking, a quick saute/stir fry is good.

Also, hot sauces as mentioned. Some methods will involve pureeing and straining them. Other methods might include slicing them and soaking raw in vinegar or fish sauce.

Depending on their size, you might attempt something akin to jalepeno poppers or chile relleno.

Cut raw and put into salsas.

Endless opportunities!

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    I'll take one.

(I'll take his onions, too.)

If you have a lot pickle them.

Pickled Peppers

2 pounds Hungarian or banana peppers*
    2 pounds sweet peppers (in strips)*
    1 pound cherry peppers*
    1 Jalapeno per jar (if desired for hotness)
    1 clove garlic per jar
    6 cups vinegar
    2 cups water
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pickling salt
    1 tablespoon sugar, if desired

Procedure: Wash peppers. Small peppers may be left whole with two small slits in each pepper. Core and cut large peppers into strips. Pack one clove garlic and a variety of peppers tightly into clean, hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Combine vinegar, water, salt and sugar. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Pour hot pickling solution over peppers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.

Remove air bubbles. Readjust headspace to 1/4 inch. Wipe jar rims. Add pre-treated lids and process in boiling water for the time specified for your altitude and jar size. For best flavor, store jars five to six weeks before opening.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

A dry mash is something you can do with these. This is the process Tabasco uses, as opposed to a wet brine method where you soak the peppers in an extremely salty solution. You puree your ingredients and salt them heavily and let them sit for months in mason jars, burping frequently.

Botulism is a real concern with these methods, so the proper equipment (pH meter for one) and safe practices are a must, but it's supposed to give a distinct flavor you can't achieve by just cooking up everything in a pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    To those that love habaneros but loathe jalapenos: Whaaaaaaat?? Jalapenos are AMAZING! They sure aren't the spiciest, but their taste is rad! (But only the green ones. Any riper and the sweetness they acquire makes it just plain weird.)
    Jalapenos have a flavor akin to grass that doesn't go well with most things unless pickled. Use serranos instead if you want something with a similar heat level (although serranos are hotter).

7+ Year Old Account
    Hot peppers are great for digestion - after eating a heavy meal, eat some hot peppers! You will digest better!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    This is truth.

As for cooking, a quick saute/stir fry is good.

Also, hot sauces as mentioned. Some methods will involve pureeing and straining them. Other methods might include slicing them and soaking raw in vinegar or fish sauce.

Depending on their size, you might attempt something akin to jalepeno poppers or chile relleno.

Cut raw and put into salsas.

Endless opportunities!
    don't think i would pickle them though i don't like pickled anything....except for pickles.

hmm i don't think our local grocer sells fish sauce what ingredients work best for making a fish sauce with peppers?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

idk nothing about identifying them. but i say eat them all, no matter the type.

though like, if any of them are bulbous with a small wrinkly bit on the bottom, that's a ghost pepper.
    idk i find siracha's to be kind of nasty tasting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    i have many hot peppers of all different kinds of spicy.

also @Medium9 why does the skin need to be peelable?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2017-11-30 at 02:56 AM.

My favorite way of cooking things like jalapenos are to marinade them with my carne asada for a few hours then throw them on the grill when I cook the meat. Poke a few holes in them to allow the marinade to penetrate into the peppers.

don't think i would pickle them though i don't like pickled anything....except for pickles.

hmm i don't think our local grocer sells fish sauce what ingredients work best for making a fish sauce with peppers?
    Edit: for the vinegar soaked chilies, you use the vinegar actually.

Fish sauce you should be able to find it in the Asian section at any major grocery chain these days. If you want to try your own... the only ingredients are anchovies, salt, and time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    My favorite way of cooking things like jalapenos are to marinade them with my carne asada for a few hours then throw them on the grill when I cook the meat. Poke a few holes in them to allow the marinade to penetrate into the peppers.
    I have a great recipe somewhere that involves this: throw a few kinds of chiles in a pressure cooker with a pork shoulder, cook it, remove the pork and pull it, then puree what remains in the cooker. Re-combine. Beautiful chili pork stew. Serve with tortillas, limes, crema, cilantro. Bang.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: for the vinegar soaked chilies, you use the vinegar actually.

Fish sauce you should be able to find it in the Asian section at any major grocery chain these days. If you want to try your own... the only ingredients are anchovies, salt, and time.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a great recipe somewhere that involves this: throw a few kinds of chiles in a pressure cooker with a pork shoulder, cook it, remove the pork and pull it, then puree what remains in the cooker. Re-combine. Beautiful chili pork stew. Serve with tortillas, limes, crema, cilantro. Bang.
    our grocer doesn't have a asian section sadly. it's just a standard generic grocer in a really small city.

our grocer doesn't have a asian section sadly. it's just a standard generic grocer in a really small city.
    Red Boat brand is the best, and available online. If you're not already invested in southeast Asian cuisine, skip this suggestion.

That actually sounds pretty damn good, I'm going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    That actually sounds pretty damn good, I'm going to try it.
    I can't find the recipe in my files for amounts. I know I used two kinds of milder chilis, I think anaheim and pasilla, along with a few serrano peppers. The pork shoulder, you can either dice or pull depending on your preference. Cut it into chunks that will fit in your pressure cooker.

Obviously I left out the parts where you heavily salt the pork a while before cooking, searing it before going into the cooker, and maybe adding some optionals such as cumin seeds or oregano. Use your intuition.

It can be done in a slow cooker too, but will take hours.