Thread: Gold Inflation

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    They just should rework the BMAH. Instead of 1 person winning with about 10 millions on a rare mount, while 19 people lose out with 2 millions, they could remove 40 millions if these things would have a set buyout price.

Rare mounts: 2 millions like the spider mount, probably double amount for mounts removed from the game
    T3 pieces: 500K per piece - also add MoP challenge mode set items for the same price (a total of 4 millions for a complete set)
    "Gambling boxes" of leftover items: 100K

Let people buy so many of these things they can afford. Boom, gold removal.

If you want some things still to be a bit more rare, then let them appear only once in a while, like they already do.

- - - Updated - - -

Also this. :3
    I think more things on the BMAH in general would help. Is the TOGC mount on there? If so its the only item I'm missing sold on there

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Yeah some "Millionaire" and "the Fabulously Wealthy" titles could be a great idea. I also think just joke novelty items could be fun.

Like a 10 million gold mount that goes at / walking speed but looks like this -

You could even make it so you can "upgrade" your servants with new outfits and accessories for even more gold for that real regal look

Oh I thought they missed out big time by not having a palanquin (that cart in the pictures) mount available in Suramar or in the Nightborne rep boxes. But yeah I'd pay handsomely for 4 peons carrying my gnome around on a pillowed cart.

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    Wrongggg. Jesus christ, there's like 6 of you I've responded to, you're all talking like you actually know something when you're beyond dense when it comes to the subject. You'd have to be extremely talented to make 500k in profits a week like clockwork on the AH. Meanwhile I check a mobile app 3 times a day and spend a few hours on Monday cleaning up.
    Pfft! Whatever dude. I do the exact same thing and it isn't nearly that much. You're either lucky, you can't count, or just making shit up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Pfft! Whatever dude. I do the exact same thing and it isn't nearly that much. You're either lucky, you can't count, or just making shit up.
    For the last time, there's a 10 page thread on this very forum that I detail it all. Here's option 4, you're simply incompetent
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

bunch of communists want the state to control the market!!

More stuff on the BMAH. Add ALL of the TCG and redemption items on there. Have 4-6 T3 xmog items active at any time. Add all of the 1% mounts from all xpacs (perhaps other than the most recent). MoP and WoD CM gear, HWL and GM level 60 xmog gear, very rare old recipes (I just bought the last enchanting recipe I was missing for 90k the other day), etc. Some random more consumable things like a greater cache of resources that gives you 35k order hall resources, or a time-lost reward that gives you another 500 timewarped badges, or a misty coinpurse that gives 20 elder charms of good fate and 20 mogu runes of fate, or a sargeras blood bag giving 50 bloods of sargeras, or a curious cache that gives 50 curious coins, or w/e.

If blizzard really wanted to do something about a perceived too much gold, they'd add some reusable gold dumps. For example, what if you couldn't get bacon from WQs, instead had to buy each piece of bacon for 1kg, or if bonus rolls could only be purchased with gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmeya View Post
    There is a good gold sink available, it's called the WoW token.
    Which got expensive enough that I'll never be able to buy a token again, after spending 1 1/2 years subbed on them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kubajee View Post
    i feel like gold numbers are getting out of hand, just like damage/health numbers. if they increase the gold cap by another 1,000%, which they did in legion, the next gold cap will be 100,000,000 gold per character.

sure there probably won't be missions that give you 2,5k gold each, the amount of gold will still increase.

i'd love to see some massive gold sinks and something like vendor mats for each craftable item, which would cause a slow deflation. otherwise the gold cap for the expac after BfA would probably be 1,000,000,000 or 1 billion gold.

what do you guys think?
    How many ppl u think got more than 1mill, or more than 500k even? 30% of players? 50%? 90%? Its closer to 3-5%

I also think its a lot of salty poor ppl here in this thread.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Yes it is. a 100% increase would be x2. A 1,000% increase is x10. A thousand PERCENT, not a thousands times.

Reading comprehension.
    1000% of 1m is 10m but going from 1m to 10m is a 900% increase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    Which got expensive enough that I'll never be able to buy a token again, after spending 1 1/2 years subbed on them.
    How? Are you only afk when online? You can easily get ~280k a month which is what it currently costs on EU.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tuesday the paladin View Post
    More stuff on the BMAH. Add ALL of the TCG and redemption items on there. Have 4-6 T3 xmog items active at any time. Add all of the 1% mounts from all xpacs (perhaps other than the most recent). MoP and WoD CM gear, HWL and GM level 60 xmog gear, very rare old recipes (I just bought the last enchanting recipe I was missing for 90k the other day), etc. Some random more consumable things like a greater cache of resources that gives you 35k order hall resources, or a time-lost reward that gives you another 500 timewarped badges, or a misty coinpurse that gives 20 elder charms of good fate and 20 mogu runes of fate, or a sargeras blood bag giving 50 bloods of sargeras, or a curious cache that gives 50 curious coins, or w/e.

If blizzard really wanted to do something about a perceived too much gold, they'd add some reusable gold dumps. For example, what if you couldn't get bacon from WQs, instead had to buy each piece of bacon for 1kg, or if bonus rolls could only be purchased with gold.
    Yeah, let's increase the supply, that seems like an idea that could work.

Except it's not, and people will be buying T3 pieces at 50-100k each instead of throwing 2M on a single dreadnaught piece. Stuff will become affordable by everyone so everyone will buy stuff from BMAH when it's cheap. Peasants will still run around pennyless because they can't keep money in their pockets for more than 10 minutes without buying some useless junk or buying consumables 15 minutes before the raid starts and rich people will have even more money from not spending a crapton of gold on the BMAH

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberria View Post
    These posts about "gold squishes" are just actually dumb and don't make any sense. Here's the list of reasons why it won't happen and shouldn't happen.

1. If you're doing a gold squish, there's two ways to do it. One way is to just squish the gold numbers, but leave the items that generate gold (vendor trash, missions, quest rewards, etc.) the same. If you do this, all that will happen is the people that have a lot of gold because they know how to generate it effectively will just end up way ahead of the people that don't in short order. It accomplishes nothing.

2. The second way to do it is to squish everything - the vendor cost of stuff, the missions, the quest rewards, boss drops - every artificial gold generator. If you do that, you also accomplish nothing, because if you have half as much gold as someone before the squish, you have half as much gold as them after the squish, and your ability to generate gold to catch up has also been squished, so there's you're in the same relative position you were before the squish, making the entire exercise pointless. The only way you're going to "catch up" will be if you suddenly become better at playing the AH, getting gold from other players. Well, you can do the same thing with or without a gold squish.

3. A big reason why they will never do a gold squish is that they are effectively selling gold through tokens. Even if the squish doesn't affect the relative value of the gold people bought, lots of people won't understand that, don't read forums, and blue posts, and will be upset by it. Why would they put themselves in that situation?

4. Creating ways to sink gold out of the economy simply do not work. You can't drive the costs of gameplay essentials like repair costs, raiding consumables, gems, enchants, etc. in such a way that people can't afford them without significant amounts of time spent farming, because it's not 2004 anymore, and a lot of people will just quit rather than deal with that. That's the real cause of inflation - every expansion, they have to add in ways to generate gold like garrisons in WoD, missions and WQs in Legion, etc., because new players and players returning from breaks need to have the gold income to be able to support their basic gameplay needs. Take that away, and the multi millionaires won't care, because they will have the gold to pay for it, and will continue to generate more gold. It's the lower end of the spectrum that gets screwed. The richer players will then figure out ways to manipulate the hell out of those gold generators (i.e. the 10+ garrison alts in WoD), while they need to be accessible enough that the most casual of the player base can skate by.

5. The only way you can make real gold sinks is to have stuff that is entirely cosmetic, and not essential to gameplay or player power in any way, like the Legion spider mount for example. Stuff like that that the rich players can have for a status symbol, but there is absolutely no need to have is the only real gold sink that's possible. Even that's tricky, because the gold sink items have to be desirable enough for people to care about them (I have 11m gold and have no desire to drop 2m on that ugly spider I'd never want to use for example) but not so desirable that people that can't afford it feel left out, since they are still paying to play the game after all.

All in all, I don't think there's an actual solution to this "problem" that's not worse than the actual problem itself. If you want to catch up from a gold perspective, either put the time in, or get better at manipulating gold gains, or both. Don't ask for a useless system change that solves nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

If you put the time in, you can easily push ~400+ world quests a week with maybe 1-2 hours a day of playing time.
    - Put a follower with 2 x 50 gold and 1 x 25 gold items on = 125g/world quest = 50,000 gold/week from that alone
    - You will easily generate ~200 bloods of sargeras a week doing that many world quests, plus another 40,000 order resources if you have a 100 OR follower, so 40 more. You can typically cash in bloods for mats at about a rate of 200g/blood. That's another 48,000 gold/week and probably more if you have Alchemy (since Prolonged Power usually sells for somewhat more than mats).
    - Have enchanting. Even at Enchanting 1, you can DE anything. If you DE all the epic crap you get from WQ rewards, etc, you net around 200 Chaos Crystals a week. That, plus the Arkhana, etc. from greens is another ~40,000g/week
    - You probably get around another 60,000g/week from the base gold rewards from the WQ, plus vendor trash, mob gold, etc.
    - You should be able to do at least 2 order hall gold missions a day for an average 2300g return each. That's another ~32,000 gold

That puts you at a total of 230,000 g/week for something that just requires a single character, or an average of just under a million per month. There's 0 reason that anyone should be complaining about not being able to make enough gold in Legion, not being able to pay for a token, etc.

The issue of course is - the casual player who barely plays outside of raids is doing like 1/20 of that or less, but still needs to be able to afford flasks and gems and enchants and repairs or they will quit the game. They can't really scale back on those gold generators without driving those players right out of the game.
    Yeah. Quoted for truth. Casual players pay Blizzard's bills. Price them out in-game and it's over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    WoW would be a great game if it weren't an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    It needs to be expensive enough that it's worth 20$. Who's gonna pay 20$ for gold if that gold amount is peanuts.

I play since vanilla and at some points in time I did some gold farming - vanilla/maraudon solo runs, old raids in TBC and WotLK, challenge modes and raids in mop/wod. I used the gold in most cases in the following expansion to get an early darkmoon deck, some boe's and for rare transmog gear.

I get if people only enjoy the AH trading and nothing else and manage to pay for wow tockens with most of their game time. It makes more sense to do so, if you allready made the gold in previous expansions with minimal time spend on farming, but if thats all you enjoy in this game, so be it.

Many raiding guilds are selfsustaining and offer free rep/enchants/gems/buffs and by just doing normal content like WQ's or raiding itself there is lots of gold you get on the side without any farming. I don't really get why new players feel they need to start farming gold, when there is no value ingame for gold anymore.
    -

Most people seem upset at the fact Tokens have gotten out of hand. Which should have been expected once you were able to apply it to Bnet balance. I know when I quit Legion during the Nighthold Raid(I didn't last long; thinking of coming back), tokens were like 40k. That was before they could be added to Bnet balance. Now that I'm coming back, they are 170k. The only thing that changed in that timeframe, is them being added to Bnet balance. I knew it was going to happen. I regret not buying all the tokens I could before I quit.

If you were used to being able to casually buy game-time for 35-45k tokens that time has passed and will always be gone now that getting real world currency and the ability to buy cash-related items and services are an option for tokens. People had to expect this inflation. It really has nothing to do with how easy it is to make gold; all these gold farms and gold amassing never affected token prices that much before. Not like WoD tokens were crazy, nor beginning of Legion, with all these easy mode gold farming methods. But once they were basically CASH, you could use to spend, inflation happened.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind. Looking around it doesnt seem that difficult to make gold; if you want to buy lots of tokens you just have to put in more work than randomly mining some nodes on your way to the next WQ.
    Last edited by Destructodave; 2017-12-02 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Destructodave View Post
    People had to expect this inflation.
    Yep, but apparently after years and years of paying sub with no riots suddenly people feel entitled to WOW:F2P edition.

It's a difficult thing. Rich players tend to get rich because they don't buy as much. Adding new gold sinks barely make a dent in their coffers. Especially if the sink is 2 million gold; AH masters don't seem to be the collecting type, they more exploit collectors.

I'm not really sure what they could do, outside of treating gold like Wrath's point system, where each expansion gets its own new currency, and all previous expansions share the same currency. That would cause an expansion-wide wealth reset each expansion, but it wouldn't really change much in the long run. And it would be way too complicated to iron out.

To squish gold you need to literally need an npc selling almost BiS equipment for the first raid level in an expansion at a high cost. Heck, doesn't need to be BiS, just needs to be good enough to make players "have" to buy it. Then you'll easily be rid off a lot of gold. A lot of people would be unhappy about it perhaps, but it would solve your problem. You can also sell flying at the start of the game for a ridiculous price, while releasing the account achievement version later in a patch. You could also sell BoP larger bags or a really expensive upgrade to the normal backpack.

You basically need to do a tough thing like that, to make people incentivized enough to use money. Had they released a housing feature, they could've made a lot of features expensive as well (and then tune it down later on).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    You want gold sinks????
    what else do you need besides
    a spider mount for 2.000.000gold,
    a pet for 1.000.000gold,
    a 32-slot bag for 500.000gold and
    a wow tokens for 300.000gold as gold sink???

PS: just because some people have lots of gold doesnt mean we need a gold shrink. thats hillarious!
    Idd, gold sinks is nothing for people that know how to use the AH and know how to farm. You make back that 2 million in less than a month.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    You want gold sinks????
    what else do you need besides
    a spider mount for 2.000.000gold,
    a pet for 1.000.000gold,
    a 32-slot bag for 500.000gold and
    a wow tokens for 300.000gold as gold sink???

PS: just because some people have lots of gold doesnt mean we need a gold shrink. thats hillarious!
    Those arent really gold sinks...i dont want the spider mount or the pet or the 32slot bag...soooooooo i didnt buy them. Still got all my monies

Quote Originally Posted by gutnbrg View Post
    Those arent really gold sinks...i dont want the spider mount or the pet or the 32slot bag...soooooooo i didnt buy them. Still got all my monies
    This is why gold sinks don't work. They might work for some portion of the playerbase really into vanity items and loaded up on gold, but it's not like people that use the gold sinks are gonna suddenly go back down to 100k (which is honestly still a lot of gold, just not relatively).

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    They should just do a gold squish. People who are rich in Legion will become tycoons after that but it's still the best choice imo.
    They can't do that since they sell gold for cash now. They would be opening themselves up to a might be class action suit if they sold gold for a few years then devalued it like that.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."