Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Why did you misspell Perry, her name is Katy Perry. Not Perra
    I did not.

I peek my head out every once in awhile for something new, do the radio scan, and that is about it.

But I get your passion for music though hell I even appreciate it if YOU love or like good writing and music, because I am older, but at least it means people maybe still give a shit about that like I do. Maybe they don't.

Some are into other aspects like I said like composing, playing specific elements, shit some people don't even like music or bands unless they all play an instrument.
    Yeah, radio is more limited these days. Satellite may give you more options(I do not have it so I don't know), but these days, all the radio stations play basically the same stuff. Pop stations play the same artists, classic rock stations all just play the big hits(The Who did a lot more songs than Won't Get Fooled Again, Behind Blue Eyes, My Generation, Who Are You, and Baba O'Reilly), country radio only plays the new pop-country guys(Willie Nelson is a country legend, but if he puts a new album out, you won't hear it on country radio, neither will you hear more recent guys who are still putting out country that sounds country, like Chris Knight or Slaid Cleaves)...even though there's tons more stuff out there. Back in the day, there were a lot more smaller/local/indie stations who would play deeper cuts than just the hits, or would play lesser known stuff and give it exposure. These days, to find new music beyond the top 40, you have to actively search for it. Luckily, the internet makes it easy to find all kinds of stuff, but a lot of people just don't know/don't care enough to look.

As for the last part, yeah, I do respect bands that compose their own stuff more than those who just have it farmed out to them. Likewise, the instrument work does make a difference...like, it doesn't matter if I'm listening to classic rock, or metal, or folk, or country, I want there to be guitars(and preferably vocals though I don't oppose pure instrumentals) at least, which pretty much rules out me really getting much enjoyment from dubstep/techno/pure electronica type stuff. I also hate auto tune and pitch correction, I'd rather hear a vocalist with flaws than a vocalist who relies on technology to "fix" their flaws and winds up sounding like machines. I also appreciate complexity(the three albums I've most enjoyed this year are Communic's Where Echoes Gather, Ayreon's The Source, and Threshold's Legends of the Shires, all 3 prog metal discs) though it's not mandatory(I like AC/DC too, and nobody will accuse them of being complex and technical).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Yeah, radio is more limited these days. Satellite may give you more options(I do not have it so I don't know), but these days, all the radio stations play basically the same stuff.
    Yeah I do, mostly because it was packaged in with my truck but I mostly listen to sports on the way to work or coming home, otherwise I'll hit some a station for whatever my mood is, the problem with that is that certain company's have only certain songs in their catalog that ever even get played on it, it's hard to get the more rare tracks of the ones that weren't top 40.

Pop stations play the same artists, classic rock stations all just play the big hits(The Who did a lot more songs than Won't Get Fooled Again, Behind Blue Eyes, My Generation, Who Are You, and Baba O'Reilly), country radio only plays the new pop-country guys(Willie Nelson is a country legend, but if he puts a new album out, you won't hear it on country radio, neither will you hear more recent guys who are still putting out country that sounds country, like Chris Knight or Slaid Cleaves)...even though there's tons more stuff out there. Back in the day, there were a lot more smaller/local/indie stations who would play deeper cuts than just the hits, or would play lesser known stuff and give it exposure. These days, to find new music beyond the top 40, you have to actively search for it. Luckily, the internet makes it easy to find all kinds of stuff, but a lot of people just don't know/don't care enough to look.
    Pretty much spot on and I am not a snob or anything, but I parse it with my age being late 30's now and the fact a lot of music I listen to now didn't get much love then. A lot of the old tapes and what not it's tough to find downloads for some of the albums that weren't really international like some.

I love Willie Nelson, I also love classic R&B and a lot of dance hits from the 80's. But as I said before lot of it wasn't great I just connect to it, and what I find I connect most with are songs that bring me right back to memories, especially when tied to great writers and lyrics.

I didn't know shit about music as much as I thought, I was just beginning, and so much of what came before, I heard but it just never resonated as much until years later.

As for the last part, yeah, I do respect bands that compose their own stuff more than those who just have it farmed out to them. Likewise, the instrument work does make a difference...like, it doesn't matter if I'm listening to classic rock, or metal, or folk, or country, I want there to be guitars(and preferably vocals though I don't oppose pure instrumentals) at least, which pretty much rules out me really getting much enjoyment from dubstep/techno/pure electronica type stuff. I also hate auto tune and pitch correction, I'd rather hear a vocalist with flaws than a vocalist who relies on technology to "fix" their flaws and winds up sounding like machines. I also appreciate complexity(the three albums I've most enjoyed this year are Communic's Where Echoes Gather, Ayreon's The Source, and Threshold's Legends of the Shires, all 3 prog metal discs) though it's not mandatory(I like AC/DC too, and nobody will accuse them of being complex and technical).
    I hear what you are saying and honestly I bet hate isn't the right word but I get what you mean, a lot of music realistically today has changed, maybe that is a good thing, maybe it is a bad thing, but what I don't want to be is one of those older folk generations trying to shit on something new not meant for me, so I am careful.

If younger people listen and critique I just try to listen to what they have to say, only they know what their music means to them and how is resonates. I also don't think criticism is wrong in terms of putting things in perspective and you made solid points.

HAHAHA and yes True of AC/DC 3 power cord band right, but they were fun, and honestly listening I didn't care. Especially if I was enjoying myself, but as I said I respect what you have to say now that I understand it more, and I think it is fair to protect the music or at least try to hold the line.

However I will never be one of those people to say well I don't listen to something because someone else thinks it isn't cool, or that person that says I don't like something that makes it bad, I Try not to.

I don't think you do either, but I do think you were making important points about writers and musicians, and even though I am not current, I agree there has to be a respect for the art otherwise it means nothing.

Because you are right I don't like cookie cutter shit, there is collaborating but there is also cheating. It shouldn't just be manufactured.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    yo @Mall Security whats your favourite bob dylan song?

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Max Richter
    2. Hanz Zimmer
    3. Adele
    4. Julian Casablancas
    5. Aaron Bruno (Awolnation)

Theres way too much Katy Perry in this thread you all have daft taste. Or lack of any taste.

Only bands you need are

1. Pink Floyd.
    2. Beatles.
    3. Fleetwood Mac.
    4. Rolling Stones.
    5. Led Zepplin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Theres way too much Katy Perry in this thread you all have daft taste. Or lack of any taste.

Only bands you need are

1. Pink Floyd.
    2. Beatles.
    3. Fleetwood Mac.
    4. Rolling Stones.
    5. Led Zepplin
    Great taste but not really 'current'.

I'd have put Queen, Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones on my list otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by elaina View Post
    lmfao

so basic, dude. you need to step out of your box. get spotify and go on some musical adventures.
    Tidal > Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by SLSAMG View Post
    Great taste but not really 'current'.

I'd have put Queen, Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones on my list otherwise.
    Im not that big on pop or DJs so 99% of modern music doesnt apply

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Im not that big on pop or DJs so 99% of modern music doesnt apply
    Ahh. Generally I agree though as most mainstream music is utter shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    yo @Mall Security whats your favourite bob dylan song?
    None. I wasn’t a fan of his voice. I liked his contributions in the Traveling Willburys and being from Minnesota and loving Prince who was heavily influenced because his ability to write I wasn’t particularly a fan.

Deleted
    None. I wasn’t a fan of his voice. I liked his contributions in the Traveling Willburys and being from Minnesota and loving Prince who was heavily influenced because his ability to write I wasn’t particularly a fan.
    case closed, your honour.

Thread. 10/char

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Anklepants
    2. Anklepants
    3. Anklepants
    4. Anklepants
    5. Anklepants.

However I will never be one of those people to say well I don't listen to something because someone else thinks it isn't cool, or that person that says I don't like something that makes it bad, I Try not to.

I don't think you do either, but I do think you were making important points about writers and musicians, and even though I am not current, I agree there has to be a respect for the art otherwise it means nothing.
    Yeah, I listen to what I like, doesn't matter if other people like it or if other people have never heard of it. I was born in 1981, and I listen to stuff ranging from classic country guys like Johnny Horton(who died 21 years before I was even born) to obscure metal acts like Dendera, who formed in 2015, I listen to guys who are well known and loved by classic rock fans like The Who and Tom Petty, to guys who are popular with modern mainstream audiences like Disturbed and System of a Down, bluegrass stuff like Tony Rice to death metal stuff like Necrophagist, guys who were huge in the 90's like Garth Brooks, to guys like Manilla Road who have never been huge, and all sorts of other stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I don’t have a favorite Bob Dylan song lol that’s fucking silly.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I listen to what I like, doesn't matter if other people like it or if other people have never heard of it. I was born in 1981, and I listen to stuff ranging from classic country guys like Johnny Horton(who died 21 years before I was even born) to obscure metal acts like Dendera, who formed in 2015, I listen to guys who are well known and loved by classic rock fans like The Who and Tom Petty, to guys who are popular with modern mainstream audiences like Disturbed and System of a Down, bluegrass stuff like Tony Rice to death metal stuff like Necrophagist, guys who were huge in the 90's like Garth Brooks, to guys like Manilla Road who have never been huge, and all sorts of other stuff.

Well I think it’s fair to ask why. Like you asked me if a person put thought into what they like even if I hate it. I much prefer that then someone rattling off names of go to names. Like nobody else did anything too.

But 81 you’re on the cusp I think eventually you’ll make that final turn and start to see much of Music then like now. Except when people talk about music you knew growing up. You know where you were what it was about. And of course the delusion other people have good and bad about then.

I think the most brutal and rewarding is when you listen and watch the bios of your favorite bands or look the ones forgotten. The industry is a monster though mostly because it gives people what they want when they want.

I remember the hate that still today about people picking the tracks they want as opposed to entire albums. Because for many especially the greats the whole thing was supposed to be an experience.

Deleted
    Not really sure what's the point behind that kind of music-elitism. Not everyone has to like the same things, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    Not really sure what's the point behind that kind of music-elitism. Not everyone has to like the same things, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Yea yea subjective and all that.

I firmly believe there is no way you can 'love writers and singers that write their own material' and then seriously say you like Niki Minaj and not Dylan.

I mean cmon :

Minaj and her ilk are like EDM, music that says nothing for people with nothing to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea yea subjective and all that.

I firmly believe there is no way you can 'love writers and singers that write their own material' and then seriously say you like Niki Minaj and not Dylan.

I mean cmon :
    [/video]

[/video]

Minaj and her ilk are like EDM, music that says nothing for people with nothing to say.
    So let's compare Nicki Minaj to like one of the Gods of Rock and Roll, REALLY?

Only "current" artist I'm listening to at the moment by choice is Liam Gallagher and his new album, which is pretty decent. I love old music too and listen to it more than any current stuff but I think people are missing the point of the thread if they are talking about artists that have long been dead or haven't released music in decades.

On the subject of music and writers most of the pop artists don't write their own tunes and they are often dumbed down garbage for 14 year old girls but you can't lump in guys like Bruno Mars, a lot of his music is quite complex and well layered and all of it has great musicianship with elements of many different genres (jazz/funk especially) thrown into tracks that still manage to be appealing to the masses.

This song for example, comfortably over a billion views on youtube and musically very ambitious.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    If we are talking about current acts I cannot choose 5 I gotta go for 10

Brand New
    Rise Against
    Gaslight Anthem/Brian Fallon
    In This Moment
    Meg Myers
    Halestorm
    Alter Bridge
    Queens of the Stone Age
    36 Crazyfists