10+ Year Old Account

Shaman Elemental Synergy

Im sure Im not the only person out htere who would like to see this, but it kinda bugs me how elements irl have certain interactions with each other and have 0 effect in wow. Sounds stupid cause its a game but let me explain

Instead of having rainfall just be a off healing spell talent, make it baseline and rework crashing storm talent for Enhance
    Rainfall would still heal, however, Crashing Storm talent would modify it...

Casting Crash Lightning inside of your Rainfall would electrify the water, adding a new visual, 'detonating' for a burst of damage, and creating the damage over time area it currently does.

Thats the best example that comes to mind with this kinda thing for me, being able to combo different elemental abilities to do damage i think would be really cool.

Just food for thought

(Maybe casting lava lash or flametongue would ignite Fury of Air for a firestorm kinda thing?) :P

I vaguely remember someone asking about combo spells at a blizzcon and the "engine was not designed for it" was the answer. That was quite a while back IIRC, maybe it's possible now? It would add some tactical depth, especially if you had cross class combos.

To give you an example of where this concept works really well. The "Elementalist" class from Guild Wars 2 has a spec called "Weaver" where they attune to multiple elements at once creating combo spells.

Normally the elementalist can "attune" themselves to fire/lightning/water/earth which are like stances in WoW. When you go Fire attunement you only have access to fire, in water attunement you only have access to water etc. and you can rotate through these attunements/stances which each have their own independant cooldowns.

However the "weaver" spec allows you to combine attunments, so if your in Fire and attune to water you have access to 2 fire spells, 2 water spells and 1 fire/water combo.

The attunements generally follow a theme;
    Fire for direct damage or damage over time
    Air for direct damage or debuffs
    Earth for defenses, snares/roots
    Water for healing or buffs

With weaver, dual attunements allow you to mix and match the benefits of different attunements. So a fire/water combo might deal dmg in the form of steam/boiling water, apply a dot and heal you for the damage dealt.
    Earth/Air might create a tornado that deals damage in an area and slows enemies caught in it

I think this would be a really cool concept for Ele Shaman, but probably not something we'll ever see in WoW. It could have been an interesting take on the old Moonkin resource where casting one spell moved you towards once stance while casting another moved you back and somewhere in the middle you could combine spells or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Xkiller9000 View Post
    Im sure Im not the only person out htere who would like to see this, but it kinda bugs me how elements irl have certain interactions with each other and have 0 effect in wow. Sounds stupid cause its a game but let me explain

Instead of having rainfall just be a off healing spell talent, make it baseline and rework crashing storm talent for Enhance
    Rainfall would still heal, however, Crashing Storm talent would modify it...

Casting Crash Lightning inside of your Rainfall would electrify the water, adding a new visual, 'detonating' for a burst of damage, and creating the damage over time area it currently does.

Thats the best example that comes to mind with this kinda thing for me, being able to combo different elemental abilities to do damage i think would be really cool.

Just food for thought

(Maybe casting lava lash or flametongue would ignite Fury of Air for a firestorm kinda thing?) :P
    Play Guild Wars 2 if you want these types of interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Xkiller9000 View Post
    IIRC, Blizzard commented on "How does a mage cast a Frostfire bolt and not ending up with just srpaying an enemy with water?" right before removing it and replacing it with a simple frost spell. Somehow, I don't think they'd introduce a cross-element concept. Even if people were asking for something like Thrall did in the 3rd "Tales of the Past" for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Judex View Post
    IIRC, Blizzard commented on "How does a mage cast a Frostfire bolt and not ending up with just srpaying an enemy with water?" right before removing it and replacing it with a simple frost spell. Somehow, I don't think they'd introduce a cross-element concept.
    Elemental blast.....

Quote Originally Posted by Khrux View Post
    Elemental blast.....
    I meant elemental combos, like the ones OP wants. Like the classic 'soak the enemy in water then hit him with lightning for a greater damage'. Or less common combos like steam (Fire/Water), sandstorm (Earth/Air), etc