Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    for me, cat = no Christmas tree

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post

Also, if you're going to get a real tree make sure you keep it watered so it reduces the risk of catching fire.

uuh ? no real candles please !
    for watering before decorating: keep the tree outside in the cold for as long as possible and let him stay in water. it keeps the needles fresh

Real.

Grown in a barrel on the patio. When it gets too big to fit through the door, it goes into the ground and I start over with a new tree. (One of these days I'll figure out how to manage a bonsai spruce.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    pointless waste of trees to cut one every year and good looking trees at that, because nobody wants to decorate the ugly ones. A good fake one, youll keep your life time.
    Actually it can be quite good for the forest, prevents forest fires, and a fake tree does NOT last a lifetime and then it ends up in a landfill.

On its face you'd think cutting down trees, and buying a fake one would be environmentally friendly... turns out though... you'd be wrong.

It all boils down to carbon footprint, and using a real tree is actually less than a fake one.
    The annual carbon emissions associated with using a real tree every year were just one-third of those created by an artificial tree over a typical six-year lifespan. Most fake trees also contain polyvinyl chloride, or PVC, which produces carcinogens during manufacturing and disposal.
    How Green Is Your Artificial Christmas Tree? You Might Be Surprised

Lately we've been using a 4ft fake one and putting the stand on top of an endtable, then duct taping it in place because of the cats lol. Its real pretty though, its flocked and has little cranberries and pinecones on it.

Real trees smell wonderful but the other one is just too convenient--plus it looks awesome

Just for the season and for fun, this is a video someone made about the real vs fake debate a few years ago. Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

Used a fake tree my whole life practically. Was kind of a pain to put it together every year. Now though don't even bother with a tree at all.

I absolutely love my artificial tree from Balsam Hill - They're pricey, but they're going to last.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    A nice fake tree is not cheap at all. I priced them once, and was turned off when I saw $300 price tags.
    Yeah but a expensive tree can be used multiple years...

Always fake, less mess and easy to set up

We have a nice fake one, sometimes we decide we'd like a real one and leave the fake in the attic /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well tbh a quality immitation tree can survive cats. My mother has had the same one since before I was born and I think the cats always managed to get it to fall at least once per Christmas. Damn things didn't even yell "Timber". Tree is still OK.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine was about double that.
    Yeah, dropped a lil over 500 on mine, but we've had it for 20 years now and it still looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Mine was about double that.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Yeah but a expensive tree can be used multiple years...

And a 5ft tree in my area costs about $35-$40. A $600 tree, vs a $40 tree. It would take me 15 years to break even! lol. NJ has TONs of pine trees, so they are quite cheap.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

never understood the point of a real one to be honest. artificial trees are far more convenient, far less hassle and far cheaper (especially considering they'll last many years rather than just the one). they're also better for the environment and safer (worst you'll get from a broken light is melted plastic as opposed to a fire)

Deleted
    And a 5ft tree in my area costs about $35-$40. A $600 tree, vs a $40 tree. It would take me 15 years to break even! lol. NJ has TONs of pine trees, so they are quite cheap.
    Hmm where are you buying fake trees? You can get a 7ft fake tree for £50, if anything they're cheaper than real here

I only celebrate super Hanukkah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Hmm where are you buying fake trees? You can get a 7ft fake tree for £50, if anything they're cheaper than real here
    That's so strange!

I mean, I can find one for cheap, but they look and feel cheap. The more real looking, the more expensive.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Love the smell of a real tree, but no good reason to go kill one every year. Plastic it is.

- - - Updated - - -

That's so strange!

I mean, I can find one for cheap, but they look and feel cheap. The more real looking, the more expensive.
    Plan ahead and buy one the week after xmas. You can get a $300 fake tree for pennies on the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    for me, cat = no Christmas tree
    Yep. Same.

During my childhood my family always had fake Christmas trees. I haven't bothered with any in the years since I moved out. I still celebrate Christmas, I just don't bother with decorations. Presents, though...they're a perk I can't shift.

Deleted
    That's so strange!

Granted I am looking on Amazon and a 4ft is £10

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't celebrate it, so I don't have a tree at all. If I did though, it would certainly be fake. I don't believe in slaughtering trees to celebrate the winter solstice.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It’s not really a waste. They grow them specifically for the purpose of selling them for Christmas. There’s nothing to indicate that they’d instead decide to grow them for fun or to help the environment. If people didn’t buy them, they’d stop growing them.
    Except that's bullshit.

Only a fraction of the live-cut trees come from tree-farms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    This does so much damage to the environment. Growing a tree just to cut it down and put some lights on it. A total waste.
    People grow lots of trees just to cut down so people can wipe their asses.

Growing trees to put fancy lights on them once a year really isn't much of an issue.

At any rate, it's a real tree for me. I mean, why even bother with a fake tree?
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-11-30 at 07:36 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.