Will i7 7700T benefit me for wow

So I got an intel i7700T as a gift, but my current PC has an i5 2500K (5+ years old) that’s OC to 4.0 GHz with 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 760, 2566gb SSD. I’ve reading that the 7700T is locked so its highest speed can go up to 3.6 with Turbo boost. I was planning to get a new mobo and ram to go with my i7700T, but I wondering if i will see any boost in performance. I mainly play WOW and sometimes diablo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by exjay View Post
    So I got an intel i7700T as a gift, but my current PC has an i5 2500K (5+ years old) that’s OC to 4.0 GHz with 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 760, 2566gb SSD. I’ve reading that the 7700T is locked so its highest speed can go up to 3.6 with Turbo boost. I was planning to get a new mobo and ram to go with my i7700T, but I wondering if i will see any boost in performance. I mainly play WOW and sometimes diablo 3.
    Yes, you will. It will not be huge, but it will be at least the same performance. Yes the clocks are lower(it actually boosts to 3.8 on a single I think, 3.6 is only if it decides it need to OC all cores), but the IPS is higher, so the single core performance(which is what matters to WoW) will be around the same or slightly better. Seeing as you would need to buy new Motherboard and RAM to go with it though, I'm not sure it would be worth it. Spending $150-$200 for such a slight gain in performance, if any at all, isn't really worth it IMO.

What you could do, is sell it and get the new i3, motherboard and RAM instead. That would be a more sizeable increase in performance.

The 7700T sells for like $300 new, so if it is still in the box, you should be able to get a decent amount for it and get this instead:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8350K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $396.95
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-30 14:13 EST-0500

Depending on the cooler you have, you may want to upgrade it as well, or may need a new bracket.

or alternatively, sell it and just upgrade your GPU. The 2500K should still be decent for another couple of years honestly. I think a 4.0 OC on it is pretty low too, you should be able to get a bit better than that, depending on your Cooler.

Wow thanks for the advice and recommendation. You have a great point about the price versus gains.

About the i3 recommendation. Wouldn't selling the 7700t and getting a 7700k be even better performance gains? I haven't read up much on the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yes, it would have a higher clock stock and more cores to get the job done. Lathais has a tendency to think people can't afford decent hardware.
    First of all, stock clock means jack when the OP has an OCed chip. He's willing to OC.

Second, no, it does not have more cores. The 8350k is 4c/4t the 7700k is 4c/8t. More threads =/= more cores.

It's not that I think people can't afford it, it's that it's spending money for no gains.

Wow thanks for the advice and recommendation. You have a great point about the price versus gains.

About the i3 recommendation. Wouldn't selling the 7700t and getting a 7700k be even better performance gains? I haven't read up much on the difference.
    While yes, the 7700K comes with a higher stock turbo, both are unlocked chips and can be OCed and then you are dealing with silicon lottery which one will be better. An i3-8350k could clock higher than a 7700k(though the reverse is true too, it's silicon lottery here), and has slightly higher IPC to begin with being a newer generation. Since the OP OCed his 2500k, I'm willing to bet he's willing to OC the 8350k.

The only real advantage the 7700K offers over the 8350K if hyperthreading. The games mentioned will not benefit from that, so the higher IPC and potentially higher OC means more and costs less.

If you really wanted to, you could spend this much instead:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($287.89 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z270 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $467.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-30 14:48 EST-0500

But you are spending $70 more for hyperthreading and last generation tech.

Neither is really a bad choice, but for you intended use, WoW and D3, the price/performance ratio is certainly in favor of the 8350k.

I also still say the selling the 7700T and upgrading you GPU and waiting a year or two to upgrade the CPU/MoBo/RAM is a good choice too. You really can't go wrong with any of the three options, it's just what you want to spend right now.

1) The GPU could be done practically free after selling the 7700T.
    2) The i3 would cost more and be better gains for WoW.
    3) The i7-7700K would cost even more but would be more futureproof as more games start utilizing DX12 and Hyperthreading.

In the end, it is up to you, but none of them are bad choices.

Now thinking about it some more though, I think an i5-8600k would be even better than the 7700k. More cores and more clockspeed than the 7700K, though less threads.

The 8350K typically OCs lower than a 7700K. It actually hits a typical 4790K in most cases(4.7 or 4.8). The 7700K easily hits those marks, with the median OC being 5.0. And since the 8000 series is a refresh the IPC is basically the same.
    so a possible, not guaranteed due to silicon lottery, .2 OC is worth $70? In games where the HT will make no difference at all? Sounds like a possible 4% increase in performance for 14% more money to me. Not worth it IMO, but to each his own. Like I said, neither is really a bad choice. It just depends on if you value performance or price/performance more.

i will admit, I do tend to not like diminishing returns, and past a certain point in hardware, that's what you run in to. Are you saying that you think he'd actually be able to see a major difference in WoW performance between an OCed 8350k and an OCed 7700k? Were talking under 5 FPS gains here. It's not noticeable enough to spend more money on IMO.

It’s not really a possible .2, it’s essentially a minimum of .2 that could go higher. If you can afford it, it’s well worth it in the long run.
    There's always the possibility you get a golden i3 or a dud i7 though.

As to you question.

Yes the 7700T is a little better as far as IPC goes. It is last gen and the Z270 MB you would have to buy does not support anything past that gen. So that is where it gets tricky. There is no upgrade path.

Sell it and get a 8th Gen, pick your poison it doesn't matter if its a 8350k, 8600k, 8700k..etc. Depends on what else you do with your PC and how much money you have to spend. They each do not make a substantial difference in WoW and the 8350k is all that is needed.

As far as advice of buying last gen...its bad advice, plain and simple. @Lathias is on the right track.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

I do plan OC also and it seems like I could sell the 7700T for 300ish. (Thats what i see it going for on ebay right now), which almost covers the i3+mobo+ram combo Lathis suggested.

I do plan OC also and it seems like I could sell the 7700T for 300ish. (Thats what i see it going for on ebay right now), which almost covers the i3+mobo+ram combo Lathis suggested.
    Exactly, and the performance will be very similar to the 7700K for your use case and better than the 7700T for sure.

Smart decision. let us know how you like it when your done!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."