Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I'm going to reply with a favorite summary from what I found following up on your remarks:

Source: http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2...-laws-17-ohio/

Now, I thought Ohio drivers were already a good enough reason to avoid the state, but this just drives it home.

For the purpose of this discussion, folks, please note that Ohio knife laws are apparently so bizarre they should be viewed as part of an alternate universe.
    Yep. I think you understand now my stance pretty clearly. lol! I do carry a small key chain combo little multi-tool which has a very small blade, screw driver tip on a bottle opener, nail file, which folds neatly into a thin metal case. It would pass the Ohio knife laws. But it is as far as I am willing to test them. It would not be something I would try to defend myself with and I could certainly defend carrying it as a tool only.

As a side note, I have not found Ohio drivers any worse than the other states I have traveled in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yeah, aside from maybe a pepper spray I wouldn't recommend anything, chances are that you WILL get killed if you pull a weapon on a criminal.
    So, just bend over and let them do what they want approach if you do not have the pepper spray?

Deleted
    If it's legal, carry a gun. If not... well, carry a combination of other stuff.

i feel like there is a way to talk your way out of any situation. it's worked for me for 31 years.

of course, that one day it doesn't i hope my wit is worth a shit lol

BUT a self defense coarse or learning martial arts will help keep you safe, and make you a better all round person too
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

I find it amusing how smuggling in US is like a breakfast thing. Here in Europe we tend to stay away from places that are known to be problematic at hours at which problem can happen. Best self-defense ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibidus View Post
    I find it amusing how smuggling in US is like a breakfast thing. Here in Europe we tend to stay away from places that are known to be problematic at hours at which problem can happen. Best self-defense ever.
    A lot of people practice that here too. There are places I avoid and certain circumstances. And smuggling? I think that is common world wide.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Who needs common sense when you can have a deadly weapon?!
    In some scenario's, it is common sense to have a deadly weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jesssmart View Post
    Do you have any recommendations on a specific biometric safe? I have been looking for a biometric safe for my pistol and read many reviews and forums. I need an option that allows me to keep the safe because of my kids but still be able to grab it fast if needed.
    Some handguns come with a hex type tool trigger/hammer lock for the weapon. You can carry the key on a chain around your neck or hang it up and in a place out of the reach of a child. Such weapons are the Smith and Wesson .38 Airweight revolvers and the Taurus Lightweight .38 ones. There are many safes now which you can use your cell phone to quickly open. Do a google search for firearm safes.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Who needs common sense when you can have a deadly weapon?!
    Well yeah when you don't have a sense you have to use weapon. Classic savagery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    A lot of people practice that here too. There are places I avoid and certain circumstances. And smuggling? I think that is common world wide.
    It is indeed, I just don't know what's with people reaching out for weapons as first thing in their mind. If you react on time, you won't ever have to use one. That's my moto.

If i have to imagine situation where i have to use a deadly weapon, that is something very extreme and it is so extreme that it crosses the line of reality. If i have to cross that line of reality i might just say "I use mobile phone , since people say it is heavy as a brick"

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Self defense course. It gives you non-lethal options, and also teaches you how to respond to a variety of situations the right way.
    Yes my dude, just kimura the enemy, easy peasy. Don't forget, once you have the enemy combatant on the ground, and you have the dominate guard, just start to ground and pound, or rear naked choke.

If you think more than .001% of the population could actually pull this stuff off, youre insane, this is how people end up murdered.

If you can stomach it, get a small 9mm hand gun, if not, pepper spray. There is absolutely no way a regular civillian is going to use mastered hand to hand techniques, and there is absolutely no way they would be able to stomach a knife fight, people are simply too weak and soft, they would just die. Im not being condescending, but there is no way, I did jujitsu for 3 years, and was in the Army for 4 years (did jujitsu while serving) and I can tell you, I dont think I would feel comfortable in a life or death situation in hand to hand combat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Because only in America would you consider buying a lethal weapon for your walk home.
    Yeah, I bet all those women being raped in EU countries think that their walk home is super safe lmfao, just because our citizens can actually defend themselves, is no reason to be a salty prick.

If a firearm is a legal option where you live, why settle for anything else? Your attacker will probably pick the best tool for the job...

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Yeah, aside from maybe a pepper spray I wouldn't recommend anything, chances are that you WILL get killed if you pull a weapon on a criminal.
    lol... WTF??? That's horrible advice. So you should just pray that the world is rainbows and unicorns where there's no chance you'll get hurt? And if you do then you should just take it? GTFO with that BS.

As for the thread topic, I would go for a compact 9mm or 45mm.

Here's a gun I can't recommend enough: Ruger SR9c. It's small, reliable, and great for a everyday carry.
    http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ruger...mi-auto-pistol

If you're more of a revolver person, I'd say a snubnosed Ruger SP101 .357 magnum. Not only is it very easy to conceal, but you can also use both .357 magnum ammo AND .38spl ammo in a .357 magnum. 2 calibers for the price of 1 gun, which is great since you can use the much cheaper .38spl ammo to practice at the range as .357 ammo can be pretty costly.
    http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ruger...ction-revolver

Very soft shooting and extremely, extremely durable. This was actually my first ever handgun which my dad bought in like 92 or 93 and then gave to me on my 21st birthday, and it still works good as new. If you were planning to travel to Hell and back, you'd want one of these with you

For the ladies here, I would recommend something like a Ruger LC9s. It's very light and small. Perfect for keeping in your purse without feeling weighed down. I got this for my wife a while back and she loves it.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ruger...ls/1182399.uts

Another thing to keep in mind is the brand. Guns can be a little costly and you might be considering that much cheaper gun from some manufacturer you've never heard of, but trust me. You don't want your handgun jamming when you need it the most.

As you might be able to tell, I have a huge bias for Ruger, but there's also plenty of other great and reliable brands out there. In my experience, anything from S&W, Glock, Ruger, Remington, etc and you're golden.

If you're a gun newbie or just want to learn more, I would HIGHLY recommend taking some courses as well as visiting a range every so often. Almost all indoor ranges provide numerous courses such as firearm safety, how to properly shoot, and how to clean.

Edit: I almost forgot. You might want to consider getting a shotgun for home defense. Handguns are great but you're likely to be close quarter and unprepared. If you're groggy from being woken up in the middle of the night, you're going to want to be using buckshot over a handgun, trust me.

If anything else, a shotgun is an AMAZING nonlethal option.
    No, seriously. Nothing will send an intruder running for the hills pissing himself like this sound
    Last edited by SupBrah; 2017-12-01 at 02:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman
    If you think more than .001% of the population could actually pull this stuff off...
    You are one of many trying to measure a self defense course by what a low belt martial arts student would know. A competent course doesn't work that way. I've already given examples, so page up.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    You are one of many trying to measure a self defense course by what a low belt martial arts student would know. A competent course doesn't work that way. I've already given examples, so page up.
    I mean, are you going to tell me a solid alternative, for the mass general population, is going to be years of strict diet, exercise, and extensive martial arts training for 5-10 years? yeah, let me go do that in my spare time, this is a mindless conclusion to draw. What i said was the general public, outside of the few who are able to master this type of stuff, would get fucking destroyed if it came down to hand to hand combat with someone trying to do them harm. Usually, the people being prayed on are women, of small stature, who are easy targets, get a fucking clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman View Post
    Yes my dude, just kimura the enemy, easy peasy. Don't forget, once you have the enemy combatant on the ground, and you have the dominate guard, just start to ground and pound, or rear naked choke.

If you think more than .001% of the population could actually pull this stuff off, youre insane, this is how people end up murdered.

If you can stomach it, get a small 9mm hand gun, if not, pepper spray. There is absolutely no way a regular civillian is going to use mastered hand to hand techniques, and there is absolutely no way they would be able to stomach a knife fight, people are simply too weak and soft, they would just die. Im not being condescending, but there is no way, I did jujitsu for 3 years, and was in the Army for 4 years (did jujitsu while serving) and I can tell you, I dont think I would feel comfortable in a life or death situation in hand to hand combat..
    I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting learning advanced fighting techniques as a way of beating up a weapon wielding attacker. What I'm suggesting is that a self defense course can teach you what you need to stay calm, assess the situation, and make the right choices to stay alive.

Having a weapon can make you feel secure, but it can also make you feel overconfident and escalate a situation that wouldn't have been deadly into a lethal one. Panicking and reaching for a weapon is an easy way to get killed when a criminal already has his gun drawn. The situation isn't about winning a fight, it's about surviving. I honestly believe that situation training is much more important than a weapon.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting learning advanced fighting techniques as a way of beating up a weapon wielding attacker. What I'm suggesting is that a self defense course can teach you what you need to stay calm, assess the situation, and make the right choices to stay alive.

Having a weapon can make you feel secure, but it can also make you feel overconfident and escalate a situation that wouldn't have been deadly into a lethal one. Panicking and reaching for a weapon is an easy way to get killed when a criminal already has his gun drawn. The situation isn't about winning a fight, it's about surviving. I honestly believe that situation training is much more important than a weapon.
    Thats why i said if you cant stomach it, get pepper spray. You're assuming that people will be able to remain calm, there is no amount of training for a lot of people to help them not lose their mind in a bad incident. Also, the majority of people will have the fight or flight adrenaline kick in and have no rational thoughts, increasing their chances of death, hence why pepper spray, or a firearm in the hands of some training in its use. Most "self defense courses" are useless garbage, CQB is an animal 99.99999% of people would not be able to handle.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Toogoodman Instead, how about you get a "fucking clue" and do what I suggested. Scroll back up, I've already posted common self defense techniques against things like a grab or choke. They do not take years of training, they do not take amazing health.

A self defense course isn't about hand to hand combat, it is about situational awareness and escapes from common situations like grabs and chokes. Get free, get out, get to a safe space, call for help if possible. No, no flipping kimura involved.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor
    I'd say if you want to live that is the best option.
    Sorry, I'm elderly and I forget things. Would you please remind me of your qualifications to give advice on this? You may well be a seasoned hostage negotiator, with valuable tips to share.

Thats why i said if you cant stomach it, get pepper spray. You're assuming that people will be able to remain calm, there is no amount of training for a lot of people to help them not lose their mind in a bad incident. Also, the majority of people will have the fight or flight adrenaline kick in and have no rational thoughts, increasing their chances of death, hence why pepper spray, or a firearm in the hands of some training in its use. Most "self defense courses" are useless garbage, CQB is an animal 99.99999% of people would not be able to handle.
    Pepper Spray can be effective but poses a similar risk to a gun. If you start reaching around for something you escalate the situation and can get shot because of it. A criminal with drawn gun is more likely to pull the trigger if they feel threatened, which is a real possibility if you start fumbling around for pepper spray.

Not everyone will be able to remain calm regardless of training, that's absolutely true. But I think you'd be surprised by the number of people that can learn how to keep their head in a dangerous situation. Sure, there are garbage self defense courses out there. But there are some really legit ones that give people the tools they need to assess a situation and react in such a way that lets them walk away from an armed confrontation and survive.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    @Toogoodman Instead, how about you get a "fucking clue" and do what I suggested. Scroll back up, I've already posted common self defense techniques against things like a grab or choke. They do not take years of training, they do not take amazing health.

A self defense course isn't about hand to hand combat, it is about situational awareness and escapes from common situations like grabs and chokes. Get free, get out, get to a safe space, call for help if possible. No, no flipping kimura involved.
    Yeah! tell that to all the 120-130lb women out there getting grabbed by 200lb+ men lmao, just "slip away with your ninja reflexes", those women are a statistic for a reason, they would never have the physical strength to defend themselves in that type of situation. I'm 6'7", 260lbs, at 12.5% body fat right now, and I've had a few years of training in several programs, if you're even a guy at 200lbs, and I want to get you, you're not getting away, let alone some 125lb woman leaving work in her dark parking garage. You know what over powers brute strength? Pepper spray and bullets.

- - - Updated - - -

Pepper Spray can be effective but poses a similar risk to a gun. If you start reaching around for something you escalate the situation and can get shot because of it. A criminal with drawn gun is more likely to pull the trigger if they feel threatened, which is a real possibility if you start fumbling around for pepper spray.

Not everyone will be able to remain calm regardless of training, that's absolutely true. But I think you'd be surprised by the number of people that can learn how to keep their head in a dangerous situation. Sure, there are garbage self defense courses out there. But there are some really legit ones that give people the tools they need to assess a situation and react in such a way that lets them walk away from an armed confrontation and survive.
    Thats an entirely different situation, if you're being held at gun point, you really have close to no options. Also, self defense weapons should be in easily accessible areas.

Thats an entirely different situation, if you're being held at gun point, you really have close to no options. Also, self defense weapons should be in easily accessible areas.
    One of the issues you face with criminals is that they almost always get to set the stage. They're the ones that decide who, when and where to strike. They have the advantage of getting the first move in the majority of the time. If that first move is "point gun at you", then you have a situation where you need to decide how to get through it. Even if you're self defense item (gun, pepper spray, naked picture of Bea Arthur) is in a pretty easy to reach spot, you're still at a disadvantage. Making that reach for it is likely the move that gets you killed.

This is why I suggest a good self defense course. Your goal should be to deescalate the situation so that you live. There is no catch all answer though. Doing everything 100% right can still get you killed. But I honestly believe that knowledge, training and the ability to remain calm trump most other things in the majority of scenarios you are likely to encounter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman
    I'm 6'7", 260lbs, at 12.5% body fat right now, and I've had a few years of training in several programs, if you're even a guy at 200lbs, and I want to get you, you're not getting away,
    Let's check. Roll call again. @Megitsune @Polyxo and if I recall @Fencers In a self defense situation, not a cage fight with rules, my money would be on the first two at least

But since you used me as an "even if" ... I'm tired, I'm old, I have chronic pain and old injuries, I'm 5'9:. Are you sure I couldn't get away? Why?
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2017-12-02 at 01:08 AM. Reason: removed picture