Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

My mind is filled with dread and cancer. I shall devour my children.

My mind is filled with dread and cancer.
    I shall devour my children.
    Last edited by mmoca6f4dd4cc7; 2018-10-09 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brukvur View Post
    Job and twins on the way.
    If I were to roll a dwarf priest and be a filthy casual, would I be able to experience some of the raids if not all of them if I don't stop playing?
    This is nothing but curiosity, it's all it is.
    No alts, no others specs, no divorce.
    From what I've heard, D1, Sco, Strat, UBRS if I'm lucky. Thoughts?
    Later on in the life-cycle you'll be able to do MC, BWL, ZG and AQ20 pugs.

Highly doubt you'll get into AQ40 or Naxx though unless you've got a LOT of gold and join a GDKP pug (if they even happen)
    Last edited by Gavll; 2017-12-01 at 09:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grats on the twins OP. Don't under estimate how much work that is gonna be

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post

Highly doubt you'll get into AQ40 or Naxx though unless you've got a LOT of gold and join a GDKP pug (if they even happen)
    If it is popular enough, there will be lots of more casual guilds progressing at all levels. That is how it was on my server in Vanilla at least. If the content stays out long enough, even those guilds can make it to AQ40 and Naxx.

I don't see why not. Just leveling and gearing up will take more time.

5+ Year Old Account
    If I were to roll a dwarf priest and be a filthy casual, would I be able to experience some of the raids if not all of them if I don't stop playing?
    MC definitely, BWL perhaps. AQ40 and Naxx probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    I don't see why not. Just leveling and gearing up will take more time.
    You underestimate just how much you need to grind to keep afloard with consumables and repairs, enchants for new gear and mats for t3.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    MC definitely, BWL perhaps. AQ40 and Naxx probably not.
    You underestimate just how much you need to grind to keep afloard with consumables and repairs, enchants for new gear and mats for t3.
    t3? It's too farsighted. When we talking MC and ZG you don't need consumables if to be at the top of dps meter isn't your goal.

Depends how your wifey is. If she is cool and gives your 1 or 2 nights a week to raid while she takes care of the twins then you will do fine. Just make some type of agreement with her and give her 1 or 2 nights a week to do something she likes in return while you take care of the twins. Hey even throw this line at her. "Babe, I could want you to watch the twins 1 or 2 nights a week so I can go hang with the guys at a bar but instead I just want to sit at home close to my family and have my me time here." Put it that way and give her her own time and you probably could have a win.

I'm and really looking forward to classic but have a new born and a 2 year old currently. I've accepted that fact that levelling will take an age and I'll probably never be able to raid (I'm lucky if I have an hour in the evening, let alone 5 - by the time the group has been formed and the raid run). But that's okay with me. In some ways there's greater longevity for a casual in vanilla because it takes so long to do any 1 task.

There wasn’t much to do at max level other than raiding.

The problem for you is leveling time. If you can’t devote a lot of time leveling the top tier guilds that will raid will be so far ahead when you reach 60 that you’ll be behind of the curve. And there was no good catch up mechanic during vanilla. If classic servers won’t have a nice stream of new players there is a risk you’ll be stuck in no mans land with attunements and low tier raids when those who play a lot are at the top tier. Because there was no incentive to go back to older dungeons and raids.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    There wasn’t much to do at max level other than raiding.

The problem for you is leveling time. If you can’t devote a lot of time leveling the top tier guilds that will raid will be so far ahead when you reach 60 that you’ll be behind of the curve. And there was no good catch up mechanic during vanilla. If classic servers won’t have a nice stream of new players there is a risk you’ll be stuck in no mans land with attunements and low tier raids when those who play a lot are at the top tier. Because there was no incentive to go back to older dungeons and raids.
    This is wrong. In Vanilla there is plenty of incentive to go back to run MC, BWL, ZG etc. Most guilds will be clearing all raids, every week until Naxx releases. All top guilds players will have alts that they're gearing too. Much BIS or 2nd BIS loot drops in old instances.

MC
    Thunderfury bindings (BIS forever)
    Healer ring
    Onslaught Belt (BIS until Naxx)
    Band of Accuria (BIS forever)
    Strikers Mark (BIS until Naxx)
    BRE (BIS until Naxx)
    Perds (BIS until C'thin)

ZG
    Cloak of Consumption (BIS until C'thun)
    Hakkar Wand (BIS until Bug Trio hard mode)

BWL
    CTS
    Maladath (BIS until Naxx)
    DFT (BIS forever)
    Tear (BIS forever)
    P.E.B (BIS until Naxx)
    TUB (about as good as BRE)

Ony
    Shard of the Scale
    T2 heads for Frost resist

Remember, you need to farm BWL for Elementium Ore too for AQ40 weapons

There's probably more :P
    Last edited by Gavll; 2017-12-01 at 03:26 PM.

Deleted
    So I would say getting in to a guild that suits you is probably what you are looking for in general here. So what does that mean? Well at least from my experience we had a couple of players that where in the guild from the start of the game or very early on, that I would play with to do dungeons and stuff but that did not necessarily raid later on in the game. Of course these players where not carried through Naxx, which seems to be where everyone is heading "mentally" right now, like: what happens in Naxx. Which is like putting the cart before the horse. They did play Onyxia, MC, ZG and BWL and I guess some of them might have done a bit of AQ40 but keep in mind I'm remembering this from 12 years ago, I might get some shit wrong. But there where certainly players with families that managed to raid 4 times a week, which was our schedule. So it all depends, but take it from someone who was in the right age (22-23 years old) had a girlfriend that did not live with me and no kids, and that raided Onyxia to Naxx - you won't plow through content, no one will really do that and lightspeed. There's gonna be thousands of players that are just like you that want to do UBRS/Strat/Scholo every night for the chance of gearing up. Maybe you get into a guild that can do ZG, or considering that most players will be pretty clear on what to do in MC you'll probably get through that place as well, but you will need resistance gear and there's no real way around that but that's mostly important on Ragnaros but certainly helps on other fights too.

And I also want to say that the guild(s) I played with did not necessarily start out as "LET'S RAID!"-guilds, that was just the natural progression that eventually you want to try and kill something harder than Baron, Drakkisath and you know we did Onyxia and just never stoped challenging ourselves from there on. So you could join a casual guild, that ends up having superfun in ZG and killing Onyxia every week, nothing wrong with that.

This is wrong. In Vanilla there is plenty of incentive to go back to run MC, BWL, ZG etc.
    I just wanted to quote this because it's a good post and it outlines some stuff that people are overlooking completely. Nothing will be fast, everything will take time. Heck I hear Asmongold talk about how they have already planned out who's gonna get Sulfuras and Thunderfury and when they aim to complete them. I mean that stuff is fantasy. We cleared MC weekly for well over a year, and we got 1 Thunderfury and 1 Sulfuras completed. And you have to remember that somewhere along that line we outgeared that place so bad that we had 50% alts in the raid just so we could do 2 raids a week. We also only ever saw 1 Ashkandi, and I could go on about stupid shit that never dropped but my point is that Gavll makes some solid points: content will not go out of fashion as quickly as you might think, everything was somewhat relevant till the end even though, let's be honest, Naxx gear was SICK, not everyone managed to clear the trash in there let alone kill bosses so you gotta get out of the Legion-mindset that every content patch just obliterates the usefulness of previous content. Heck one of the best trinkets in the game was the lvl58 2% crit trinket from Blackhand Rend, and for hit rating the Shen'dralar (did i spell that right?) 2% hit (yes percent not rating) was useful until the end of the game for Rogues.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had two kids and a full time job in 2004 when Vanilla was released.

Leveled and played a Dwarf Priest on a PvP realm.
    In retrospect, I probably should have chosen a PvE realm to save time and frustration.
    Leveled as Shadow, but healed all leveling dungeons.
    Switched to Holy around level 55 to focus on end game dungeons and raids.
    Never had much gold as Holy Priests are not the best at farming.

As others have noted, you will be behind the curve.
    I wasn't able to keep up with all the kids who could play 8 hours a day.
    But I was able to do all raids except AQ40 and Naxx before BC was released and I was leveling alts and not fully focused on raiding.
    Got Benediction/Anathema as my highlight of vanilla.

You will likely find many guilds with adults on the same schedule, progressing through the content at a relaxed pace.
    Despite what the retail kids will tell you, not everyone is rushing for world firsts.
    Classic WoW will be around for many, many years, with plenty of players at all stages of progression.
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion
    "The Special Counsel did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple. offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

Quote Originally Posted by DeleteMyAccountMMOCSUX View Post
    You will likely find many guilds with adults on the same schedule, progressing through the content at a relaxed pace.
    Despite what the retail kids will tell you, not everyone is rushing for world firsts.
    Classic WoW will be around for many, many years, with plenty of players at all stages of progression.
    This 100x. Classic will be around forever, so you'll have all the time you need to progress through stuff at your own pace.

If you have to ask such a question (where you're an adult that is tempted to put a game on or near the same level as your family), then you have a problem.

Seek help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushkins View Post
    t3? It's too farsighted. When we talking MC and ZG you don't need consumables if to be at the top of dps meter isn't your goal.
    It better be your goal if you want to do those raids at all. You don't get to sandbag the rest of your team just because you don't care about dps numbers. That kind of attitute is fine for current content, but for a classic server it'll get you /gkick't quicker than shit.

5+ Year Old Account
    Given how old the game is, there are likely a LOT of people in a similar situation to you, and i'm sure you'll find a guild with a similar playstyle (ie, limited time to play due to responsibilities, but also want to progress through higher content over time.)

Also people end up wanting to gear up alts over the lifespan of the game, or there's always new people joining in late. So even if you're a couple tiers behind, you will definitely find groups you need for the content you want to experience :P

Deleted
    Nahh casual is RIP. I feel for you

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Brother, with twins coming you can forget about your next year of life qhen they come and tou better get your parents or inlaws move in woth you to help or your wife can go nuts with them at home alone. I know people with twins and it’s soo much work the first year it’s not even funny.

After that you can pretty much raid like I plan to (3kids here with youngest being 8 months old now) - you raid after 9 pm when all kids are in bed for 2 max 3 nights a week. That’s it. Yeah I know I won’t be in a top guild but that’s fine with me.
    Don’t worry you still can raid just later when the kids grow up a bit.

If you're a healer even greens and blues will do for MC. Whether people will take you or not is the question. Those dungeons you mentioned strat, scholo, ubrs take time however. don't expect to be in and out and plan for 2 hours each.

Pugs for MC & ZG will be going within the first 3 months of people getting to 60 imo. Content is easy now that player skillbase is much higher