Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The only thing Blizz could do that would make me happier to level 12 more alts, is if they revamped all of the vanilla/outland zones, which I imagine will happen someday. I am beyond stoked for all of the leveling changes in 7.3.5, it's been a long time coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it isn't.

Are you a polished turd?

Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    So. Is zone scaling just a way for Blizzard to polish this WoW turd?
    The last 2 expansions have been the "polished turd" that you mention. Nice and shiny until you scrape away that thin layer and find the mess underneath.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd be extremely happy if they made the zones 1-100 scale. Something akin to Adventure Mode in Diablo 3, where you're free to roam as you please would be grand. Just lock it from accounts with no max level characters.

Deleted
    If it means i can avoid Hyjal and Vash i will praise to it as a god

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    For me:

- levelling from Cata is awesome (MoP not so good, because I don't like 2-3 zones in Pandaria, but I can skip it)
    - WoTLK is acceptable
    - BC, well, it's closest to "polished turd", but at least views are amazing.

I've done Horde Loremaster like 5-6 years ago, but only few zones on Alliance. So I'm really looking forward for it, I really won't even feel content drought this time (and I also have lot of Mythic15 and Mage Towers to complete in Legion).

For the all-classes-at-110 crowd, which includes me, it's not much of a feature.

But it's probably great for people who love the questing game.

Quote Originally Posted by upirlikhyi View Post
    with scaling that will pretty much end running a low level thru a instance or will it show as their level? and the other mobs at 60? like RFK?
    The scaling has a cap, obviously boosting will still be just as easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    It will be if Blizzard doesn't use the opportunity to significantly rebalance low-level leveling in the process, because while outleveling zones in 20 minutes is the smell, the disgustingly poorly balanced world content is the shit-pudding beneath. This talk about "finishing a zone before seeing 25th of the quests" is a symptom of.. what?

Ah right, you're leveling up 3-4 times per hour, mowing down mobs like they didn't exist at all. And being able to run through a dungeon in 5-10 minutes not caring about the loot because you're already in fully enchanted heirloom gear, killing bosses in 10 seconds that are complete pushovers even if 2 people are on /follow

But sadly I am far from convinced Blizzard has actually realized the scope of how detrimental lowbie leveling is. And the feedback is nothing but "make it faster I want it over with" without seemingly trying to understand why people just want it over with. If leveling was actually engaging, and you had to make decisions, or respond to threats, I can guarantee they'd be less inclined to whine about how they aren't oneshotting everything like a demigod anymore, but actually experiencing a world that can be dangerous at times, not this Baby-train-on-rails difficulty mode leveling has been stuck with for years.

The worst thing is that people genuinely don't seem to understand why they think leveling is boring as they are NEVER facing anything remotely difficult along the way.

Unless Blizzard slows down how quickly we earn exp, through a mix of slightly less exp per quest, reduced player power relative to mobs, and end-of-run dungeon bonuses, zone scaling will turn out to be nothing more but leveling 10-15 times per zone instead of 5, for people that still aren't immersed anyway because nothing can kill you anyway.

tl;dr Zone scaling will accomplish nothing if Blizzard doesn't fix levelings underlying power:mob power ratio that is completely screwed up and has been for the last half decade.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2017-12-01 at 04:36 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think I'm in the minority. I'm one of those who likes to fly through content they've seen a dozen or more times and have no desire to slow the process down. I thought that was the whole point of heirlooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    For the all-classes-at-110 crowd, which includes me, it's not much of a feature.

But it's probably great for people who love the questing game.
    I have 12 110s also. They hope that players like us will level up allied races to get their transmog gear. I won't be doing that.

Thing is, the allied races have mounts too. If you just need exalted rep with them then great, I'll do that. But if they require you to level from 1 to 110 to get the mounts... sigh... I guess I'll probably end up doing it. Not enthused.

My only issue is that the scaling doesn't go far enough (though it is very much appreciated and welcome change).
    I'd like it more if I could level to 100 anywhere I like excluding Legion zones.

Keep the minimum levels for zones like Desolace, Burning Steppes etc. and the expansion minimums as they are listed but raise the maximum to 100.
    That way I could level only in Kalimdor/EK if I wanted to completely skip TBC or whatever I wanted to.

There's also the advantage that you will be able to level with a friend with chars of very different levels. At the moment it's hard to level up with a friend unless you absolutely always play together.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    It will be if Blizzard doesn't use the opportunity to significantly rebalance low-level leveling in the process, because while outleveling zones in 20 minutes is the smell, the disgustingly poorly balanced world content is the shit-pudding beneath. This talk about "finishing a zone before seeing 25th of the quests" is a symptom of.. what?

Ah right, you're leveling up 3-4 times per hour, mowing down mobs like they didn't exist at all. And being able to run through a dungeon in 5-10 minutes not caring about the loot because you're already in fully enchanted heirloom gear, killing bosses in 10 seconds that are complete pushovers even if 2 people are on /follow

But sadly I am far from convinced Blizzard has actually realized the scope of how detrimental lowbie leveling is. And the feedback is nothing but "make it faster I want it over with" without seemingly trying to understand why people just want it over with. If leveling was actually engaging, and you had to make decisions, or respond to threats, I can guarantee they'd be less inclined to whine about how they aren't oneshotting everything like a demigod anymore, but actually experiencing a world that can be dangerous at times, not this Baby-train-on-rails difficulty mode leveling has been stuck with for years.

The worst thing is that people genuinely don't seem to understand why they think leveling is boring as they are NEVER facing anything remotely difficult along the way.

Unless Blizzard slows down how quickly we earn exp, through a mix of slightly less exp per quest, reduced player power relative to mobs, and end-of-run dungeon bonuses, zone scaling will turn out to be nothing more but leveling 10-15 times per zone instead of 5, for people that still aren't immersed anyway because nothing can kill you anyway.

tl;dr Zone scaling will accomplish nothing if Blizzard doesn't fix levelings underlying power:mob power ratio that is completely screwed up and has been for the last half decade.
    Basically everything you said is happening as of right now on the ptr.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...5_it_requires/

No idea how it's going to be affected by the ilvl squish though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    If it means i can avoid Hyjal and Vash i will praise to it as a god
    Probably not. The zones still have a minimum level, which means at the start of Cata you will be forced to do something in one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenzha View Post
    The last 2 expansions have been the "polished turd" that you mention. Nice and shiny until you scrape away that thin layer and find the mess underneath.
    Anyone placing Legion in the same box as WoD automatically paints himself as a laughing stock.

it will be cool to be able to do the other zones that are made obsolete by leveling 4 times in a single dungeon

10+ Year Old Account
    "Polished turd" to me sounds like them trying to sell you a poor feature by tricking you into thinking its something great. Thats not whats happening here. Here they are giving you exactly what they say they are giving you - scaling for old zones. Whether or not you're interested in the feature or not is a completely different topic.

So. Polished turd? No.
    Am I overly excited about the feature? Na, it wont affect me much, but not everything has to be catered to me.

It's been years since some of us did a full zone when leveling a character. I look forward to do some of them like Silverpine Forest and Stonetalon Mountains, hell I don't even remember the quests of Feralas, Desolace or Burning Steppes Post-Cataclysm.

Let's see, on alts I've leveled there are several good storylines I've not completed simply because I leveled out of the zone. This fixes that.

I've done HFP and Terrokar and Borean and Howling so much that my eyes will bleed. This lets me go into zones like Nagrand, Blade's Edge, Netherstorm and Shadowmoon which I honestly haven't visited in years except to fly over on my way to a transmog run.

Cataclysm I have gone from 85 to 90 in under 2 hours in just hyjal. This will hopefully start sending me elsewhere and allow me to again experience content I haven't seen in years such as Twilight Highlands.

Really at this point it's just a question of what type of alt do I feel like leveling - and whether or not I should even level one depending on if they are going to do a gold-farm in BfA or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    How do you even polish a turd? It would smear everywhere, kind of like this thread did
    You dry it out then slowly add just the tiniest amount of water to make it kinda like pie dough and keep freezing it to keep the moisture down and things pretty solid.

See: