Thread: Highlord Kruul

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Highlord Kruul

Just got the appearance on my Prot Warrior - Thanks.

And since I've been knocking my brains against him for over 100 attempts and god only knows how many hours I had a lot of thinking to do on him.

He's like Prince Malchezaar from old Kara.

For those that don't know the fight it was a very simple one, unless RNG screwed you in the butt.

You'd really just park yourself - as the tank - in a corner right next to the entryway so he couldn't knock you back and your raid would all park in the entryway and then you'd pray that all the infernals that he drops wouldn't fall on you or the raid and cause you to have to reposition everything.

Definitely a fun and challenging fight that I'm not looking forward to completing on my paladin, death knight, monk and demon hunter. :-P

Deleted
    Gz but you should look forward on your demon hunter. it's like impossible to fall off, glide ftw lul

Quote Originally Posted by TheRacoon View Post
    Gz but you should look forward on your demon hunter. it's like impossible to fall off, glide ftw lul
    Tried it a bit, wasn't doing all that well - not knocked off but resource starved - mostly a case of "git gud" as I haven't played her much lately.

Deleted
    I did over 100 pulls back when it was new too...

Then I said fuck it, went yolo mode dpsing as hard as possible, even forgetting to use drums and pot in p2 and killed it

Then on my DH it took exactly 2 pulls to kill...

It's a glorified dps check masked as a tank challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal View Post
    I did over 100 pulls back when it was new too...

Then I said fuck it, went yolo mode dpsing as hard as possible, even forgetting to use drums and pot in p2 and killed it

Then on my DH it took exactly 2 pulls to kill...

It's a glorified dps check masked as a tank challenge
    It's part luck, but also DPS and Tanking. Specifically it's a positioning challenge - which is part of where luck comes in. If you're sitting there a bit you'll get knocked by an infernal, if you aren't clearing the eyes enough they can knock you too.

Eyes are basically adds across the room that need to be picked up - only difference is they are low health and stationary.

Infernals are mobile hot-zones where you can't spend much time without getting blown up by their damage.

Inquisitor is constant damage that requires use of cooldowns and self healing.

Kruul requires positioning since he leaves goo on the floor and use of major CDs to survive his annihilations and proper interrupts to stop twisted reflection.

For modern WoW it was most definitely a tanking challenge.

Also I'm just not sure how much damage he used to do, but 2.4 million damage mind rends were chewing through my health pool something fierce - only have about 6.8M health. So three of those without ignore pain up will always mean death.

If that was the same when it launched I'm surprised anyone got their appearance early.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    It's part luck, but also DPS and Tanking. Specifically it's a positioning challenge - which is part of where luck comes in. If you're sitting there a bit you'll get knocked by an infernal, if you aren't clearing the eyes enough they can knock you too.

Eyes are basically adds across the room that need to be picked up - only difference is they are low health and stationary.

Infernals are mobile hot-zones where you can't spend much time without getting blown up by their damage.

Inquisitor is constant damage that requires use of cooldowns and self healing.

Kruul requires positioning since he leaves goo on the floor and use of major CDs to survive his annihilations and proper interrupts to stop twisted reflection.

For modern WoW it was most definitely a tanking challenge.

Also I'm just not sure how much damage he used to do, but 2.4 million damage mind rends were chewing through my health pool something fierce - only have about 6.8M health. So three of those without ignore pain up will always mean death.

If that was the same when it launched I'm surprised anyone got their appearance early.
    I was following mechanics and it wasn't working at all.

I got 913 ilvl back then when I did it. Used bear tartare, TC belt and sephuz.

All I did on the kill pull was just tunnel the boss until 7 stacks, poped last stand and healed trough damage with victory rushing adds. I pushed Inquisitor to spawn only 2 infernals (I was completly ignoring them, just running in circles) and also ignored the eyes (just faced them when they were casting knockback)

Kruul was literally a joke. As I said, I forgot 2nd pot and hero and I killed him before 4st cast. Reflecting healing debuff helps a lot and with bear tartare + sephuz + pushback with the likes I was instantly out of the green circles.

Whole fight in the end for me was just a dps check to push 1st phase to not be overwhelmed by infernals

There's no luck to it at all, If you understand the mechanics they're pretty simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congrats mate, I went through that pain too, 70+ pulls here but once you down it, it feels amazing.

Congrats man! DH is easy if you have decent gear and dps gear, I was 920ish with dps belt and kjs + moonglaives from sisters in TOS and I steamrolled both bosses in under a minute.

Small tip: If you pull Variss to Velen at the start, Velen will melee him for quite a bit of his %. Just make sure to keep the adds off of Velen and you're fine with this. Helps a TON.

Quote Originally Posted by Koochulu View Post
    Small tip: If you pull Variss to Velen at the start, Velen will melee him for quite a bit of his %. Just make sure to keep the adds off of Velen and you're fine with this. Helps a TON.
    From what I gather they hotfixed his melee damage so he doesn't hit as hard.

Although that does bring up what a pain in the ass Variss can be with a paladin. You have interrupt streaks with avenger's shield that will have him wandering on top of you and refreshing your debuff.

Half my deaths were because I used mass grip, catching a stray infernal in the process and that causes them to instantly shift their direction towards you knocking you off. That and velen being the worst piece of shit healer in the universe, just standing there and eating every AoE...

Still, it's a glorified DPS check and a tank challenge by only about 10%..

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Half my deaths were because I used mass grip, catching a stray infernal in the process and that causes them to instantly shift their direction towards you knocking you off. That and velen being the worst piece of shit healer in the universe, just standing there and eating every AoE...

Still, it's a glorified DPS check and a tank challenge by only about 10%..
    If Velen is just standing there eating AoE then you're not doing the tanking part of the tanking challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    There's no luck to it at all, If you understand the mechanics they're pretty simple.
    Obviously coming from someone that didn't do it when we only had Nighthold gear.

There is a hell of a lot of RNG on the fight, from eye spawns, to velen heal/stun spawns to how long between elemental spawns(they don't always come on CD).

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    If Velen is just standing there eating AoE then you're not doing the tanking part of the tanking challenge.
    Smartass, and no,depending on the circumstances (spawn RNG) if you didn't grab the attention of all adds in time before they started their AoE, which in turn cuases them to ignore any further attempts to get them to move somehwere else in an actual tank setting it's the job of the group to "not stand in the fire". While positioning is important, just flat out playing LFG Donald or banking on a healing tick to be enough to get the attention of all adds, while jogging around the room trying to prevent the lol-beam of the eyes from killing you, is not exactly what I'd take as that. Especially killing adds in usually not your job as a tank, since it's not gaining threat on them, it's finding an ability that kills them quick enough to stop them from fucking up your movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Obviously coming from someone that didn't do it when we only had Nighthold gear.

There is a hell of a lot of RNG on the fight, from eye spawns, to velen heal/stun spawns to how long between elemental spawns(they don't always come on CD).
    Actually I did do it in nighthold gear, In 7 tries (Tank was my offspec).
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    Actually I did do it in nighthold gear, In 7 tries (Tank was my offspec).
    Honestly that's even more of a sign that you got lucky.

Please note I'm not saying you're a bad tank or unskilled. Clearly you have strong raid awareness and play very well, but luck is a huge part of the fight.

If the ghosts start farting around Velen and you don't have an orb up or are too far away for a shockwave that's a wipe.

Eye spawn points are all RNG.

Hell, even just getting a string of shield slam procs is absolutely huge and can make or break an attempt - especially given just how strong Anger Management is for the encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

There was RNG, but P1 was fairly consistant. Once Spirit Bomb change came in literally anybody that was even somewhat close to getting it should have 1-2 shot it.

Demon hunter is probably the easiest tank for this, they have all the tools to CC both Variss and the adds at range, self heal when no orbs are available, and they do amazing DPS on this fight even without spirit bomb, you can nuke it all so fast.

DK was second easiest for me. Then warrior and now working on monk which is easily the hardest I've done.

None of my tanks have tier and most of them have off spec legendaries.

Just finished up DK.

Good lord, that was pretty simple on the brute force front.

Oddly enough it's probably one of the ones that demands a bit more tanking too just in terms of crowd control through positioning. If you let the ghosts start farting around Velen and the DH the challenge is just done.

Either way pushed it down with just a single infernal, not sure if I should feel good about that or kind of OP. Eh? Got my fancy axe, so feel good.

Also I'm noticing the T2 crucible talents in this challenge are just doing work from hell to breakfast! Shadowbind was my #2 damage ability and I think did about 10-15% of my dps.

- - - Updated - - -

And now paladin is down.

T2 crucible abilities only did about 6.4% of my overall DPS but they aren't stacked the way Shadowbind was on my DK.

I swear the paladin version is filled with more BS than a compost factory though. Seems like you get more eyes, they are more apt to knock you around and the extra HP on everything isn't exactly fun.

But I made it in 5 attempts on Kruul with a lot more failed ones at Varris before he dropped.

While the extra HP are a pain I do think that with an old war pre-pot and probably 950 gear (I did it at 923) you can probably transition with a single infernal up, I had two.