Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes!!!

Bijou farming in ZG was the best thing ever. I loved the old talent trees most

Noooooo, boring af back in vanilla (even more so than now... and that's hard). So it's something else for me sadly

Deleted
    I've played the same mage character since March 2005 ...and I would do so again on Classic Servers !

Mages were considered to be part of the "holy trinity" of classes along with Warriors and Priests. Why? Because they had excellent single-target ranged damage (at the time Hunters and Warlocks were behind in direct-damage potential), unmatched AoE (no other class came close) and the best CC in the game at the time (polymorph, works on humanoids and beasts, which were by far the most common enemy types). Mages are, to so speak, a "safe bet" and they were always in demand in raids and dungeons. Keep in mind that in vanilla, hybrids were were not viable and the class design was different. For example, the decision that "every class should have AoE options" was not taken yet. Instant Arcane Explosion and Blizzard were simply unmatched.

In PvP, both fire mages (Presence of Mind + Arcane Power + Pyroblast super combo) and frost mages (excellent survivability and burst damage potential with shatter combos) were excellent. Keep in mind, health pools were insanely low and PvP stats did not exist. The best PvP gear came from PvE. Mages were incredibly good at Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin battlegrounds because of their burst damage potential.

However, a few warnings:

- Arcane mages did not exist at all and Arcane spells were very few. The Arcane tree was a support tree for Fire or Frost spells.
    - Fire mages did not exist in PVE until AQ20/40. The bosses in the first two raid tiers were fire-immune. So, if you want to raid, there is no option = had to be frost.
    - Fire mages in PvP did exist but they were extremely fragile - no Ice Block or anything, that came much later in TBC.

I don't mind the buffing and water chores as they make the mage valuable in a raid setting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TeraAkron View Post
    - Fire mages did not exist in PVE until AQ20/40. The bosses in the first two raid tiers were fire-immune.

I don't mind the buffing and water chores as they make the mage valuable in a raid setting.
    They werent immune, just higher resistance against fire.

The chorus was on the low side compared to most of the other classes. Also cloth wearer had lower repaired costs compared to plate.

But the frost rota was kinda boring back in the day

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeBit View Post

The chorus was on the low side compared to most of the other classes. Also cloth wearer had lower repaired costs compared to plate.

I believe they made some of the bosses fire-resistant instead of immune at a later stage. But most of them were originally immune, particularly trash in MC and almost of all the bosses in BWL.

We'll see what Blizzard decides to do with Classic servers...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    No way. Leveling mage was painful in vanilla. Pull mob. Drink. Pull mob. Drink x infinity
    didnt bother reading all comments to see if anyone corrected you, but if you did this then its on yourself, mages dont pull 1 mob at a time, they pull 10-20 and blizzard them down. I'm playing on private server atm as a 60 mage. Ofc its hard untill you get improved blizzard, and lvl 40 with mount makes it lot easier as well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    How "classic" will it be? If there is no flying the teleport is super nice to have. Having played mage back when it was current content it might act like a blast from the past. I just dont want to relive some aspects such as making/conjuring food for a 40-man raid. Leveling and all such things was fine. I'll wait for it to become more real before deciding.
    Its no biggie, there is always atleast 5, think i've even tried 8-9 in a MC pug on a private server, and most ppl just need 1-2 stacks, you just make water while waiting for ppl you make their way to raid.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    I want to play an undead mage, as I did from Vanilla until WoD when they released the results of their character model updates

undead models on live look fucking stupid since the WoD update

if they stick the live "updated" undead models into WoW Classic, I wont be wasting money on it

hopefully that clears up if I was joking or not?
    Shit might as well quit live and stop posting on Mmo-Champ as well
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    Shit might as well quit live and stop posting on Mmo-Champ as well
    shit that certainly was a useful reply to read

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    shit that certainly was a useful reply to read
    I tried very hard
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

To answer the question simply, yeah id like to play a mage on classic, specifically for double on use trinket (toep + zhc 4tw) pyro pom pyro combos.

More detailed:

Does anyone remember all the wanding we had to do because oom or threat issues? When was the last time you heard the terms "wand" and "oom" in WoW (i dont play healers, so i suppose oom might still be around in that arena)?

I'm not overly excited about wanding, or not being able to raid as fire till AQ (or arcane ever?).

I'll be playing classic for sure because it will be the new shiny, how long and what class is tbd. If its a true 1-2 month process to get to 60, i probably wont make it to end game. A lot will be determined about how much classic my group of friends plays.

I might mix it up and go with a melee class with a regenerating resource pool (warrior/rogue) this time around. Maybe even play a horde character to spend more time on Kalimdor.

The bigger issue imo is that the only interest BfA is drumming up for me is the standard "new expansion" excitement. Zero interested in the theme of BfA. "Alliance vs Horde" was stupid multiple expansions ago, nevermind now after all Azeroth has gone through. You can promote faction pride and competition enough in wargame type scenarions (enter world pvp, arena, and BGs) for those that care about it, without making it part of the main story.

I realize classic and BfA wont come out at the same time, but at this point I'm more likely to come back for classic then BfA. Yes i will play my mage on classic to some extent, whether i hit the lvl cap with the mage or a different class or at all, we'll see.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nukie View Post
    Does anyone remember all the wanding we had to do because oom or threat issues? When was the last time you heard the terms "wand" and "oom" in WoW (i dont play healers, so i suppose oom might still be around in that arena)?

I'm not overly excited about wanding, or not being able to raid as fire till AQ (or arcane ever?).
    Not to mention the applications of mana oil ... and mana gems ... I seem to recall certain fights in AQ40 going on long enough to warrant some extensive wanding-casting cycles. For when evocation just wasn't enough, cause you are not important enough for innervate, also not forgetting to swap weapons to maximize your regen and then back again before casting. I might be remembering wrong but couldnt you at one point in time invis and then hit eat/drink and you would still do that as the fight went on. I'm fairy sure it worked for hunters and feign death to. Foggy memory 10ish years later.

Also no pom-pyro on pulling. Wait for a couple of sunders to appear ...
    Last edited by looorg; 2017-12-01 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeBit View Post

MC was mostly Highly resistant (rag was immune, and geddon)

All the dragons in BWL were immune to fire.

And the fire rotation was the same as the frost rotation :P just with a scorch every so many fireballs for one mage.

Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    Not to mention the applications of mana oil ... and mana gems ... I seem to recall certain fights in AQ40 going on long enough to warrant some extensive wanding-casting cycles. For when evocation just wasn't enough, cause you are not important enough for innervate, also not forgetting to swap weapons to maximize your regen and then back again before casting. I might be remembering wrong but couldnt you at one point in time invis and then hit eat/drink and you would still do that as the fight went on. I'm fairy sure it worked for hunters and feign death to. Foggy memory 10ish years later.

Also no pom-pyro on pulling. Wait for a couple of sunders to appear ...
    I dont remember being able to invis and drink on a raid boss ever, but i believe hunters and rouges were able to get out of combat for various purposes at different times.

Im sure hunters loved carrying stacks of bullets and rogues powders and tea.

It will be interesting to see what if any of theses things will be removed from classic.

Waiting for 5 sunder stacks! Blast from the past!

Yes. Difficult but let's see.

Literally WHY do people care about how many different spells you hit in PVE? Do people actually enjoy playing action bar DDR? How are nu-wow "rotations" any more engaging than spamming frostbolt, when it's always completely obvious what spell to hit and the game tells you exactly what to do anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely and I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Problem with caster classes back in vanilla was that they didn't scale with gear, i mean that frostbolt did 500 dmg in full greens and the same dmg in full dungeon blues...
    Frostbolt gains 81.4% of spell damage (and Fireball gains 100%). If it's not scaling with your gear, your gear has no damage on it. There are plenty of level 60 dungeon blues that have none and shouldn't be worn.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    Literally WHY do people care about how many different spells you hit in PVE? Do people actually enjoy playing action bar DDR? How are nu-wow "rotations" any more engaging than spamming frostbolt, when it's always completely obvious what spell to hit and the game tells you exactly what to do anyway?
    I dont enjoy current wow "rotation" as you said, its completely obvious what to press next and the whole screen lights up like a christmas tree currently.

What people are looking for are more complex rotations with high skill ceiling - rotations that are engaging and it actually matters what you press next and you can mess up.

Or thats what im looking for anyway...

Played my mage since vanilla, including UBRS 15 man and all vanilla raids up to NAXX40 KT (didnt down KT but downed Sapphiron).
    As many here have said there was no real rotation in vanilla - the difficulty in vanilla was making sure you dont pull threat (casters had to "wand" the boss for the first minute (before 5 stacks of sunder ). Then you had to watch "threat meters" (when they became available) to avoid pulling aggro from the tanks.
    And then there was the logistics of managing 40 people doing the "right stuff" (we had a class raid lead for each class in NAxx 40 and a dedicated "Class channel" to chat during raid).
    I think a lot of people will be very disappointed if they implement classic in a true vanilla style, even at patch 1.11 (naxx40)). And i especially want to see people farm consumables for hours before the raid to even stand a chance (Loatheb in Naxx40, lol) and handing over 30+ individual food items via trade as a mage.
    And, who could forget when another class would wear full frost/fire/arcane resist set and pwn a frost/fire/arcane mage in pvp duels
    Last edited by nycnyc88; 2017-12-08 at 05:30 PM.

I will play my mage for sure, undead mage was my first real character in vanilla and I did play it lots doing dungeons and raids, can't wait to see what they do with classic.

If I even bother with Classic, I'll be the same as I was when I first played vanilla: Warlock/Mage.