Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Nightborne Demon Hunter

There are a couple new discussions that have been had with Dev's over the starting level of the new Allied Races having an effect on the ability for them to be "Hero" classes, such as DK and DH.

A new interview has popped up that has Blizzard addressing the issue and saying that it is a hurdle, but something they may look into adapting, their example being Dark Iron Dwarves being Dk's.

With that new information, what do you guys see for Nightborne DH?

I would personally really like to this, the very least being that it would open up an alternative to BE.

Here is the source for you guys. The interview question is at the bottom.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=275765/m...binations-raci
    Revelation 21:6 - I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.

Things like this really mess with the continuity of the wow timeline. Because at the time all of the Demon Hunters were created, only the Belves and Nelves were following Illidan. Dark Iron being Death Knights makes sense as they always inhabited the world as all Dwarves have. Void Elves do make sense, though, because they are blood elves that have now been shunned from SMC. So they could be both a follower of illidan and then taken by the void.

Lorewise this doesnt make sense. Mechanically, it seems they have some trouble doing this, but once they figure that out, then i don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    No

/10charss
    Thank you for your in-depth response.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Things like this really mess with the continuity of the wow timeline. Because at the time all of the Demon Hunters were created, only the Belves and Nelves were following Illidan. Dark Iron being Death Knights makes sense as they always inhabited the world as all Dwarves have. Void Elves do make sense, though, because they are blood elves that have now been shunned from SMC. So they could be both a follower of illidan and then taken by the void.

Lorewise this doesnt make sense. Mechanically, it seems they have some trouble doing this, but once they figure that out, then i don't see why not.
    Linkedblade - I agree, lorewise this can present a problem. Your reasoning with Void Elf makes a lot of sense, though. I could see that happening in-game.

Nightborne do have a form of Demon Hunter without the ritual blindness, a class featured in the Elite area near the Nighthold called a "Spell-breaker".

I am curious that with Illidan gone, are other Demon Hunter's able to train new recruits? The player character for DH is shown recruiting new DH's into the fold and training them inside the class hall, so this has me curious of this involves their ritual as well pre-recruitment.

*EDIT* Added correct quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Rev21Sihx View Post
    ...the very least being that it would open up an alternative to BE.
    Even if they were able to bend the story to make it somehow believable, from the player's third-person view, it's not going to make much of a difference either way. For me, if they're going to make the effort to cram a new race into the game for DHs, I'd prefer it be something that looks significantly different than a BE, not just a BE with dark skin and a malnourished face.

Deleted
    Might be more work than you realize depending on how the Nightborne model is made versus the Night Elf, Demon Hunters have a lot of customization that went into Night Elves and Blood Elves, to the point that they have disabled their old models completely. (Even if you turn on "show old characer models" Blood Elves and Night Elves wouldn't be affected by the setting.)

I would however love to be able to race-change my Blood Elf into a Nightborne, even if the lore for it wouldn't make too much sense, but at the same time I would not want to see a non-elf DH ever, so I fear that enabling Nightborne will only make people beg for other races to become DH's as well. Might be best to leave it as is, I'll simply have to give Warlock another try once they finally receive their updated animations (and they fix Demonology).

Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    Might be more work than you realize depending on how the Nightborne model is made versus the Night Elf, Demon Hunters have a lot of customization that went into Night Elves and Blood Elves, to the point that they have disabled their old models completely. (Even if you turn on "show old characer models" Blood Elves and Night Elves wouldn't be affected by the setting.)

I would however love to be able to race-change my Blood Elf into a Nightborne, even if the lore for it wouldn't make too much sense, but at the same time I would not want to see a non-elf DH ever, so I fear that enabling Nightborne will only make people beg for other races to become DH's as well. Might be best to leave it as is, I'll simply have to give Warlock another try once they finally receive their updated animations (and they fix Demonology).
    It will definitely require a bit of work, even the Dev in my source mentions this as a "hurdle" for the team to overcome. However, it does seem that this is something they are working on. To what extent, I am not sure.

I think regardless of what classes get added with Allied Races, you will always have people begging for other options, or races either way.

I do think having at least one other option than BE for Horde, NE for Alliance would be beneficial for the class as a whole.

The animations for DH are already their for Nightborne, as many of their classes we fight against use similar styles and attacks.

After playing DH as my main for all of Legion, I see the lore for it already there, especially when you are training new recruits inside your CH.

While Illidan is lost on the void and you are trying to bring him back, the player character is tasked with finding new Illidari recruits and training them for the fights to come. These new Illidari could easily be adapted into some being Nightborne, since the refugees are so against the demonic occupation and some of their classes (Spell-breaker) are already very closely related to an actual DH.

When Illidan is training new Illidari in Burning Crusade, he makes it clear that he does not discriminate when it comes to fighting the Legion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    No

/10charss
    Exactly what I expected the first reply to be

Deleted
    My lore heart says no

My gameplay heart says yes, yes, pretty please

No. Demon hunters take a long-ass time to train, and the DH's aren't training anyone currently, nor do they have plans to after the Legion is beaten, so any new race being able to be DH is not reasonable. Additionally, DH's only really happen if their immediate family and living area is FUBAR'd by Legion agents, usually while they're very young, so they feel like they have nothing else left than their need for retribution. The Nightborne aren't in such a situation.

Some of them are being opressed by the demons, and there are children in peril, but they are either going to die, one horrible way or the other, or grow up with someone, and go with any more available profession...nevermind that they probably have a looot of apprehension to binding a demon to their soul when they've just been opressed by them...

TL;DR: No. NO Nightborne DH. Just no.

- - - Updated - - -

Nightborne do have a form of Demon Hunter without the ritual blindness, a class featured in the Elite area near the Nighthold called a "Spell-breaker".

I am curious that with Illidan gone, are other Demon Hunter's able to train new recruits? The player character for DH is shown recruiting new DH's into the fold and training them inside the class hall, so this has me curious of this involves their ritual as well pre-recruitment.
    Spell-breakers don't bind demons to themselves specifically to fight other demons, in so far as my knowledge is concerned, so how is it a type of DH and not just a specialized warrior?

On one hand, a Void Elf Demon Hunter would be fun, on the other hand, I can imagine Void Elf and Nightborne DHs would be hard to justify in the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus1177 View Post
    My lore heart says no

My gameplay heart says yes, yes, pretty please
    Echoing this.

I really want a Void elf to play since my main faction is Alliance but I love the standard blood elf model. I imagine there is a lot of customizing they'd have to give both that would be an annoyance--new skins and faces to say the least. Plus horns.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

yes!!! why the heck not!!??

I would say it is extremely unlikely that Nightborne could become Demon Hunters. Dark Iron's being DKs can at least make some sense because they were present on azeroth while the Lich King was around doing his thing. There was not a single Nightborne that went with Illidan to Outland, and no one even knew that they existed. So that would limit Kayn or some other Demon Hunter training Nightborne demon hunters after Legion, but then they would need a brand new zone. You might say that these demon hunters could just start with the rest of the nightborne, but demon hunters start at level 100, while Nightborne start at level 20. So yeah, a ton of issues would be created if blizz made Nightborne demon hunters and I really don't think they are going to make them an option.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Highmountain demon hunters, the Illidairy. (no I didn't think of that, it was Blizzard)

I don't think we need new Demon hunter races, and Death knights should only be added when the lore actively could support it.

Like Dark Iron Deathknight could fit.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-12-01 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    No. Demon hunters take a long-ass time to train, and the DH's aren't training anyone currently, nor do they have plans to after the Legion is beaten, so any new race being able to be DH is not reasonable. Additionally, DH's only really happen if their immediate family and living area is FUBAR'd by Legion agents, usually while they're very young, so they feel like they have nothing else left than their need for retribution. The Nightborne aren't in such a situation.

Some of them are being opressed by the demons, and there are children in peril, but they are either going to die, one horrible way or the other, or grow up with someone, and go with any more available profession...nevermind that they probably have a looot of apprehension to binding a demon to their soul when they've just been opressed by them...

TL;DR: No. NO Nightborne DH. Just no.

- - - Updated - - -

Spell-breakers don't bind demons to themselves specifically to fight other demons, in so far as my knowledge is concerned, so how is it a type of DH and not just a specialized warrior?

Where have you gotten this information? None of what you said has any current lore, dialogue, or source of any kind that I can find. Especially the parts about children and immediate family? Can you site a source for this?

In reply to your question, they have not been bound in the ritual (As I stated above in my post), but it is seen in the quest chains for DH throughout their Class Hall experience, that they are recruiting and training new Illidari and undertaking the ritual and getting them ready to fight (Both BE and NE are a part of this), so the Nightborne could be added to this pretty easily in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    I would say it is extremely unlikely that Nightborne could become Demon Hunters. Dark Iron's being DKs can at least make some sense because they were present on azeroth while the Lich King was around doing his thing. There was not a single Nightborne that went with Illidan to Outland, and no one even knew that they existed. So that would limit Kayn or some other Demon Hunter training Nightborne demon hunters after Legion, but then they would need a brand new zone. You might say that these demon hunters could just start with the rest of the nightborne, but demon hunters start at level 100, while Nightborne start at level 20. So yeah, a ton of issues would be created if blizz made Nightborne demon hunters and I really don't think they are going to make them an option.
    Please read the link I provided. The Dev specifically states that they are aware of the "hurdle" that the starting level presents for Allied races and DK/DH and are looking into options to possibly overcome that.

Also, the player character is actively training and recruiting new Illidari during Legion, that are not from Outland. This is a possible point of lore that could weigh in their favor.

Deleted
    No. Or make Void Elves DH available for more edgyness

Quote Originally Posted by The French Guy View Post
    No. Or make Void Elves DH available for more edgyness

After reading Linkedblade's reasoning in his post, I do think Void would be viable as well as Nightbourne.

Deleted
    After reading Linkedblade's reasoning in his post, I do think Void would be viable as well as Nightbourne.
    They wouldn't. As Xhul'Horac in Hellfire Citadel has shown, pure void and pure fel explode, really violently, on contact. Void elves have pure void imbued into their very essence. Demon Hunters are gorging on pure fel and mixing it with their soul. What makes you think these wouldn't just go BOOM in instant?

Nightborne also make very little sense. Illidan created the Demon Hunters specifically to destroy the Legion, now the Legion is gone and so is Illidan.
    We have no lore mentions of anyone else performing the ritual. The trainers we have can teach new people combat, but the inner demon implanting was Illidan's thing. Remember, other mages, such as Jace Darkweaver can no longer use magic because the fel makes it too difficult. As if it was an impairing radio signal, so to speak.

Thank you for your in-depth response.

Linkedblade - I agree, lorewise this can present a problem. Your reasoning with Void Elf makes a lot of sense, though. I could see that happening in-game.

*EDIT* Added correct quotes
    Technically, all Death Knights are the ones that were trained by the Scourge Lieutenants from Naxxramas (DK start area) So as long as the race inhabited a region that the Scourge could have reached during it's campaign, then it makes sense lorewise of the six new races only Dark Iron meets that criteria.

Similarly for Demon Hunters, the only ones that exist are the ones trained by Illidan at the black Temple (DH start area). The only new race that meets that is the Void Elves.

If they were to update the start areas of the hero classes: perhaps DKs trained by the Ebon Blade, DHs trained by the Illidari on Mardum. Then I wouldn't see an issue

- - - Updated - - -

If anything as it is not void elves are more viable or likely. I'm not opposed to it, but they always mention low when denying things like this. Other then their issues with the engine they have mentioned.