Poll: Best weapon/method?

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Suicide-Vest you can threaten to blow yourself up if someone gets to close.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    One of the issues you face with criminals is that they almost always get to set the stage. They're the ones that decide who, when and where to strike. They have the advantage of getting the first move in the majority of the time. If that first move is "point gun at you", then you have a situation where you need to decide how to get through it. Even if you're self defense item (gun, pepper spray, naked picture of Bea Arthur) is in a pretty easy to reach spot, you're still at a disadvantage. Making that reach for it is likely the move that gets you killed.

This is why I suggest a good self defense course. Your goal should be to deescalate the situation so that you live. There is no catch all answer though. Doing everything 100% right can still get you killed. But I honestly believe that knowledge, training and the ability to remain calm trump most other things in the majority of scenarios you are likely to encounter.
    I am not sure that is as common as you stated (almost always). And since they know the large majority of people are not going to be armed, they may not feel any need to be ether. If they know they can easily overpower a elderly, handicapped or much weaker person by brute strength. Some also know if they get caught robbing someone with a weapon, the punishment is much harsher.

But I am not disagreeing with your general self defense training, with situational awareness being a important part of it. Those would be great.

I do agree with your point if the criminal has a gun pointed at you. Best to be cooperative.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drdyne View Post
    Suicide-Vest you can threaten to blow yourself up if someone gets to close.
    Lol! I think we are talking about legal methods.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2017-12-02 at 01:26 AM.

Deleted
    A flashlight, there are some that can go into an extremly brigth blinking mode, if you look into that you immediatly have to cover your eyes and have to look away - time to get away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaia View Post
    A flashlight, there are some that can go into an extremly brigth blinking mode, if you look into that you immediatly have to cover your eyes and have to look away - time to get away.
    I good tip. Also, some of them have the jagged edges, which can be used to poke someone in the face. Better than your bare hands.

Pepper spray and some basic training on how to react/keep your calm in ... tense situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 6'4" so a weapon is only needed if the other people is also as tall or carries a gun. Otherwise the nearest large object will do just fine. A chair is enough to take down most people. It's very rare for me to run into people my height, and usually freaks me out cause I rarely deal with tall people.

Quote Originally Posted by vettehenk View Post
    owning and resorting to guns is talked about as if you are talking about whats for dinner tonight. The sheer fact that a gun is an option for common people and promoted in such a fashion is the reason why your society is crumbling. While it is not illegal i would prefer you keep your gun promoting American "values" to yourself. This is still just a game forum.
    Bwahahahahahahaha
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman View Post
    Yeah! tell that to all the 120-130lb women out there getting grabbed by 200lb+ men lmao, just "slip away with your ninja reflexes", those women are a statistic for a reason, they would never have the physical strength to defend themselves in that type of situation. I'm 6'7", 260lbs, at 12.5% body fat right now, and I've had a few years of training in several programs, if you're even a guy at 200lbs, and I want to get you, you're not getting away, let alone some 125lb woman leaving work in her dark parking garage. You know what over powers brute strength? Pepper spray and bullets.
    I know several women who weigh about that who likely could fuck you up bad if you tried to attack them without a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaia View Post
    I could understand like a 6 d cell mag-light or something to use as a club, but you aren't scaring away anyone with a flashing light or a whistle.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Knife is good if they don't know you have one. I was attacked some years ago and I used a knife to defend myself, he looked very surprised when he thought it was going to be easy and then he get slashed over the abdomen and then stabbed before he can retaliate and then I run. If you will hesitate if you pull the knife out then you shouldn't have one because that will get you killed or hurt, you can't wait and threaten them with it and let them know you have it before you use it on them.
    Holy shit, why did he attack you? Did he survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I'm 6'4" so a weapon is only needed if the other people is also as tall or carries a gun. Otherwise the nearest large object will do just fine. A chair is enough to take down most people. It's very rare for me to run into people my height, and usually freaks me out cause I rarely deal with tall people.
    WOw thats a lot of ignorance in that statement. Height has no bearingon the other persons skill, speed, and ability. Infact being to large puts you at a disadvantage over someone smaller and faster. I am 6'4 and have had my ass handed to me by guys a foot shorter .

As for the tOpic, since you live in Chicago good luck getting a CCW . Not impossible but very very difficult. A gun is a great equalizer and force multiplier tool. I do encourage you to get fire arms training and if you do get one classe son how to not only carry but use of force . You will also want to carry as part of your Every Day Cary kit :
    1 A fixed blade knife carried on opposite you cary your firearm.
    2 a folding knife , for either back up or incase you cant get to your fixed blade or if that has been taken from you
    3 Pepper Spray or something similar
    4 a IFAK ( Individual First aid kit ) that includes a good Tourniquet and the troining to use First aid, especuially Trauma first aid
    5 Cell phone
    6 all IDs and Permits with Emergency contact info
    7 a good easy to carry tactical flash light
    Ther eis so much more also but its very limiting forum to tell you everything. Just dont rely on a Golden to defend you as a Daog like that will not deter many criminals. I protection trained dogs for many years and you would be surprised at the number of individuals who will also attack a highly trained dog

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    WOw thats a lot of ignorance in that statement. Height has no bearingon the other persons skill, speed, and ability. Infact being to large puts you at a disadvantage over someone smaller and faster. I am 6'4 and have had my ass handed to me by guys a foot shorter .

As for the tOpic, since you live in Chicago good luck getting a CCW . Not impossible but very very difficult. A gun is a great equalizer and force multiplier tool. I do encourage you to get fire arms training and if you do get one classe son how to not only carry but use of force . You will also want to carry as part of your Every Day Cary kit :
    1 A fixed blade knife carried on opposite you cary your firearm.
    2 a folding knife , for either back up or incase you cant get to your fixed blade or if that has been taken from you
    3 Pepper Spray or something similar
    4 a IFAK ( Individual First aid kit ) that includes a good Tourniquet and the troining to use First aid, especuially Trauma first aid
    5 Cell phone
    6 all IDs and Permits with Emergency contact info
    7 a good easy to carry tactical flash light
    Ther eis so much more also but its very limiting forum to tell you everything. Just dont rely on a Golden to defend you as a Daog like that will not deter many criminals. I protection trained dogs for many years and you would be surprised at the number of individuals who will also attack a highly trained dog
    A guy 5'4" handed you your ass?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I could understand like a 6 d cell mag-light or something to use as a club, but you aren't scaring away anyone with a flashing light or a whistle.
    There are many small tactical flash lights that have 1000 lumen bulbs who when used right will temporarily blind a assailant by using the strobe function or driect beam. they also are made from Aircraft aluminum and have ridges to be used like a Kubotan

There are many small tactical flash lights that have 1000 lumen bulbs who when used right will temporarily blind a assailant by using the strobe function or driect beam. they also are made from Aircraft aluminum and have ridges to be used like a Kubotan
    I got one right here, 1200 lumens Duracell, but its not in any sense a weapon.

A guy 5'4" handed you your ass?
    Yep. He was fast, and was trained. I sued to be a bouncer 30 years ago and it was always the little guys you worried about the most

Yep. He was fast, and was trained. I sued to be a bouncer 30 years ago and it was always the little guys you worried about the most
    I cant imagine the amount humiliation after that happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    I know several women who weigh about that who likely could fuck you up bad if you tried to attack them without a weapon.
    You might. I do not. There are very good reasons there are women and men's professional divisions in just about every physical contact sport. In fact, is there any which are not?

But it is not just women who need a self defense means/preparation. Elderly, handicapped, non athletic and on and on. You want something which will help you survive. One way to do that if you have no escape route, is some type of weapon to equalize the odds better.

I got one right here, 1200 lumens Duracell, but its not in any sense a weapon.
    Older article but still worth a read
    https://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/...al-flashlight/

- - - Updated - - -

I cant imagine the amount humiliation after that happened.
    No humiliation. It happens . He had speed , he had strength and he had training. I am guessing you have had no training at all in martial arts
    Conner Macgregor is only 5'9 , Floyd Mayweather is 5'8
    Last edited by Dystemper; 2017-12-02 at 03:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy I was replying to may simply have gotten busy, or perhaps he started to realize he was being asked to guess about something and just looking at me wasn't going to tell him what he needed. Nothing in my picture warned that bungee is a depraved old man who spent more than 30 years studying and fighting. By the time he found out, if we played the "you're not getting away" scenario, the damage would have already started. Similarly, in the case of the small woman, they aren't expected to be able to fight back, but if they do it effectively they gain an element of surprise.

Let's assume for the moment that he really is as advertised 6'7", 260, low body fat, some martial arts training. I think it was @Rotted who pointed out the problem this brings. Those things will let him get an easy edge in a controlled setting, but in that setting he probably didn't have to worry about the things Rotted used as an example -- strikes to the groin and attempts to damage his knee. That leads to a dangerous arrogance about brute strength.

It wouldn't be a fight for points, the assertion was that even as a guy I would have no hope of getting away. Let's be sporting, I'm not carrying my cane. On an ordinary day/night out of the apartment, I will have my keys, which I keep close to hand. I love low body fat, it brings things like veins closer to the surface. A key isn't a knife, but properly braced, the same points on a key that can open a beer bottle will tear the hell out of things with grab and rip. Since I'm supposed to get away, that means I have his hands and other parts in reach. I would be doing my best small vicious animal imitation -- people in their right minds don't want to try to hold on to an angry badger without heavy gloves, and while the badge has sharper claws than my key, I'm bigger. Preferred targets, veins and tendons across the back of the hand, inside of the wrist, inside of the upper arm, throat if he lets it get close enough, if he puts his head down add in cutting over the eye.

At any point possible, I'll be looking to grab and damage fingers, put a thumb in an eye and dig hard, if I can get a finger up his nose I'm trying to bring a nose home for a trophy, ears rip off too. Grab lower lip and tear down. Brace key, grab nipple, tear hard. My apartment key doesn't have teeth, but it is long and narrow. Held under the hand it can be hammered into joints or the backs of hands.

Now, here's a catch, those things should generate pain, probably a lot of it, but a guy might be pumped on adrenaline or drugs and not reacting. One reason that I mentioned my chronic pain is that it makes my pain tolerance a bit weird, a lot of things hurt but get ignored because they're just another part of the constant background noise. Pain is a secondary goal, making the person bleed as much as possible, trying to damage tendons, trying to get blood in the eyes, breaking small bones and joints -- doing things to weaken his movements, make it harder to stand or run, make it harder to see -- those are the primary goals.

In a fair fight, no, he has an edge. This isn't a "fair fight" example though, and none of the things I mentioned take a whole lot of special martial arts training and no ninja reflexes. They take a willingness to survive and be as vicious as needed to do it. I'll accept the premise that many people lack those characteristics before being trained, but that's part of the point of the training. Those who have started to learn basic self defense techniques are already taking steps to put themselves outside of that unprepared mindset.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

No humiliation. It happens . He had speed , he had strength and he had training. I am guessing you have had no training at all in martial arts
    If you are 6'4" and get beaten up by 5'4" person, that is humiliating. IM actually guessing you didn't have any training in martial arts. I wasn't trying to insult you though.
    Last edited by Hooked; 2017-12-02 at 03:22 AM.