Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joodoc View Post
    This. Not every thing comes from an ancient threat or race or anything. Some stuff starts new. Blizzard introduces new enemies and stuff all the time. You can watch the Murloc evolving even as the expansions go on. They get classes, those are new. Alleria is the basis for their Lore, and we knew she was missing so that isn't a Retcon, anything could have happened. Likewise void isn't new, we've known about it for a long time. This is just the first time someone is harnessing it for good. Just like Illidan was the first time someone harnessed Fel for good, same concept.
    A bit off topic but related to your Illidan comment, irks me a little when people assume Alleria is going to go insane and be a boss or something. We've had 'fight fire with fire' characters for the lich king and legion, I don't see why with Alleria we can't have a character pull it off for the void. Especially when an entire playable RACE is being built around that concept.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EbonBehelit View Post
    Very well.

If Blizz were going to give playable High Elves to the Alliance, they would've done so in TBC. They didn't though, and as much as we don't like it, that ship has long since set sail.

Blizz were never going to give the Alliance a near carbon-copy of a Horde race, so they improvised a little. What we got is a sort of High Elf/Ethereal hybrid, and it's pretty badass imo. Then again, I never had any hopes that could be dashed in this case.
    And you know why Blizz gave blood elfes to the horde?

Because they feared that nobody would play their prefered faction which they never tryed to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that i think about it, do you guys think that Arathor may end up as a Void Elf? (Though it seems that Arathor is going to follow his father footsteps)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    They're spun off from blood elves. How much lore do they need? The quests to unlock them explain how and why they become void elves and join the Alliance. That's all you really need, because they are a new thing in the lore, not an indiependant ancient faction like the lightforged/nightborne/highmountain.
    Because they have next to nothing when compared to Lightforged, who are also new. Not even a faction they can get behind, unless they throw in Argussian Reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    Because they have next to nothing when compared to Lightforged, who are also new. Not even a faction they can get behind, unless they throw in Argussian Reach.
    They're blood elves. Azerothian, Silvermoon blood elves. The void thing is new and seems to happen during the actual quest line to unlock them from what's been datamined so far.

There's also no need for there to be a reputation to unlock them. Sure blizz can throw that in where it makes sense, but it doesn't have to apply to EVERY allied race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Void Elves are Blood Elves that went a different path(we don't know the full story yet) so their numbers pull from the Blood Elven population.

As for the LFD, idk all the lore, but I believe they come from the Army of the light, which is off planet and we didn't even know about before, so we don't know about their numbers.

It fits just fine. They both had somewhere they came from, the High Elves don't.
    LFD are apparently ascended draenei, the quest to unlock them involves the ceremony and draenor supposedly.

Except the Lore has stated for quite a while that there were few High Elves left in Azeroth, most became Blood Elves to survive when they lost the Sunwell. To suddenly have enough of them to be a playable race would absolutely not mesh with that.
    But there’s magically enough void elves for it?

Deleted
    LUL PVP. This game is for PVE players and most ppl do only PVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    No...they wanted High Elves...the original smaller elves...Blood Elves are knock off High Elves and Void Elves are knock offs of a knock off....so yeah people are upset.

High Elves came before Blood Elves...so if anything they're the knock off, the copy.
    Blood Elves aren't a knock off though. They are High Elves, just with an edgier name and different eye colors. A chair is still a chair even if you paint the legs orange and call it a desk.

Also, Blood Elves are already playable so if High Elves were added without a decent backstory and unique models they would literally be a knockoff of Blood Elf art assets. When blood Elves were introduced Blizz significantly updated and changed the way the High Elves looked from WC3 and they can do it again to make High Elves look significantly different from Blood Elves, but they didn't. They copy-pasted blood elves, gave them Forsaken skin color options, an edgy backstory and even edgier haircuts.

I'm not even saying the Alliance shouldn't get High Elves, I think they definitely should. I just think Blizz should put in the same amount of work they put into the Nightborne if they're going to do it. Give them unique models, give them a clear difference to Blood Elves, and give them a backstory that isn't a cheap and lazy ass-pull.

None of that would be hard to do either, which is the worst part. Blizzard is just being lazy and rushing it. Think about it, the Highborne turned into the High Elves due to exposure to the Sunwell and the current High Elves have been separated from it for decades and there should be an entire generation born after it was destroyed. With a little bit of explanation and a whole lot "because magic" you could make the High Elves morph into just about anything you wanted. They could succumb to the withdrawal and devolve into the Wretched, they could simply revert back into "highborne" and look like high-res Shendra'lar, they could use the Light to feed their addiction and become angelic elves, etc.

So I'm pretty sure we fundamentally agree that the Alliance got screwed with generic and boring Allied Races but we may disagree on what they should have gotten instead. I don't think they should have gotten High Elves as they currently are and I think they should have put a new spin and coat of paint on High Elves so they were interesting and unique. Like the Nightborne, they're basically Night Elves but they've been changed and updated just enough to be distinct enough to stand on their own, but the High Elves can't currently say that. They're just the Blood Elves that never agreed to call themselves Blood Elves, but if you give them the Nightborne treatment it's easy to imagine a pretty cool, unique race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    They're blood elves. Azerothian, Silvermoon blood elves. The void thing is new and seems to happen during the actual quest line to unlock them from what's been datamined so far.

There's also no need for there to be a reputation to unlock them. Sure blizz can throw that in where it makes sense, but it doesn't have to apply to EVERY allied race.
    Void Elves are and will remain Void Elves. They derive from mutation and won't need to lean on Blood Elf lore to give them a backbone. Luckily for players, Void Elves will have a designated area they can call a home; a themed area with rich story was a concern.
    Last edited by Polybius; 2017-12-08 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    No...they wanted High Elves...the original smaller elves...Blood Elves are knock off High Elves and Void Elves are knock offs of a knock off....so yeah people are upset.

High Elves came before Blood Elves...so if anything they're the knock off, the copy.
    High Elves camed before Blood Elves??? Really? can u prove that?

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    Void Elves are and will remain Void Elves. They derive from mutation and won't need to lean on Blood Elf lore to give them a backbone. Luckily for players, Void Elves will have a designated area they can call a home; a themed area with rich story was a concern.
    Yes going FORWARD they'll have their own story, but unlike the other three starting allied races they're not an isolated group, and so we didn't need a zone or quest line to understand who they were before. Because we have a solid grasp on blood elves by now to latch onto and then we can go forward with them from the mutation incident onward.

I read the OP... I think you put way too much stock in PvP... even though the racials have seen tweaks over the years I doubt it's the driving force behind why we are getting these races with these abilities at this time. I could be wrong. Several people are saying the new expansion will be heavily influenced by PvP. Until it's released or at least Beta footage is released... I doubt we'll know one way or the other. Borders on tin-foil hat... I give it 7/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
    How hard is it to realise that many of us DO NOT want Blood elves? We want high elves, those that rejected Kael'thas, his teachings and solutions. Those that reject the mentality and and leadership of the Blood elves. Void elves are just edgier Blood elves which pisses off a lot of us. Though I do gloat in taking something from the Blood elves.
    Many of us don't even know who that guy is, and just want the pretty blood elf vampire models. I'd say the "for looks" demographic outnumber the people who know and more importantly the very few that care enough to complain about the minute details of the lore, significantly.

I've read Twilight. I can tell you about Twilight if you want lore, but the explanation will have to come from my new Vampire Elf character: SSJ12EdwardSSJ12Vegeta.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-12-08 at 03:21 PM.

Not the elves we wanted, but the elves we needed.

I suppose Blizzard has plans to incorporate Void elves more deeply into some expansions and/or patches that are yet to come (and sincerely hope they won't just forget about them for the next 6 years).

Although at this point I'd really wish that they were based on converting the entire present Alliance high elven faction (bar Elsharin) in the first place, probably giving them a couple more regular looking pale skin tones and tainted hair colors. Even ditch the "Void" part of the name and simply have them bear the original "High elves" tag, who are to be voidforged due to <insert legitimate event here>. That would take care of the omnipresent "We want High elves/High elves will never happen" arguments and give the Alliance more coherent story progression in BFA, whilst simultaneously allowing the established Thalassian inner conflict to continue and develop even further + giving ample ground for Blood elves to have blue and golden eyes added as a customization option as per the lore + not making players of non-elven factions like shadow priests/warlocks/etc. feel like they've been disregarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    They added void elves cause the alliance fanboys been whining and crying and bitching since tbc, they didnt wanna give you high elves so you got void elves, now that isnt good enough either.
    Because the amount of people who care about the lore of a race making sense is very likely quite small. I mean Belves joining the Horde in the first place was a huge lore jump and..... nearly half of the Horde playerbase is Belves. Had no noticeable effect.

Velves will be highly popular, they are a traditional Elf on the Alliance finally. And also are basically the always popular Dark Elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Not the elves we wanted, but the elves we needed.
    And the ones we deserved also?

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
    And the ones we deserved also?
    Nothing less than knights... blueberry.