Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Ahead of the Curve: Molten Core?

I've heard talk of molten core and blacwing lair or maybe onixia becoming easier once you have access to ZG gear. So I'm thinking if they release the patches in order and ZG isn't out as soon as classic releases.. they should also add an ahead of the curve molten core achievement for completing the raid before ZG comes out.

15+ Year Old Account
    You needed to run a lot of ZG's (remember bosses didnt drop that much loot back in the days) to gear 40+ people, now for MC it wasnt realy a problem but with ZG+MC gear BWL realy wasnt that easy, on the top of my head Vaelastrazs and Flamegor where a real cockblock for us back when we did BWL eventho we had run MC tons of times, as for Onyxia she has never been hard.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

7+ Year Old Account
    Did achievements exist in Vanilla/Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    You needed to run a lot of ZG's (remember bosses didnt drop that much loot back in the days) to gear 40+ people, now for MC it wasnt realy a problem but with ZG+MC gear BWL realy wasnt that easy, on the top of my head Vaelastrazs and Flamegor where a real cockblock for us back when we did BWL eventho we had run MC tons of times, as for Onyxia she has never been hard.
    So if ZG is out you'd skip to that to easily outgear MC right making it trivial? So if ZG isn't out upon release then you should deff get achievement for clearing it before release of ZG.

Deleted
    Sure, they should. There wil be some sort of group finder in the game, that's certain (either a port of the current one or an addon that does the same and everybody will use it anyway), so "link curve + gearscore" will be the usual MO for pugs.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    No achievements weren't in vanilla but maybe for classic they'll add some neat ones

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    Sure, they should. There wil be some sort of group finder in the game, that's certain (either a port of the current one or an addon that does the same and everybody will use it anyway), so "link curve + gearscore" will be the usual MO for pugs.
    What item level do you think would be on naxx gear XD

Deleted
    I remember joining a guild with this crazy russian guild leader during AQ times.

He made this "only good players" raid, which by todays standards is about a heroic group - it took us 2 wipes total to clear MC and BWL - in a completely new raidgroup (mostly newly leveled characters), the hardest part was only having one Onyxia cloak.

We cleared AQ a few raids later, again huhuran "blocked" us mostly because of the Nature resistance requirement.

Classic is trash compared to todays standards. More fun, maybe - but difficulty wise its trash.

Deleted
    One of the greater woes that came with WoW was the achievement system imo. Not caring about them clashed with the "achievement whores" and turned many raids into a stretched bore-fest. :P

I will not miss them in classic.

Quote Originally Posted by rootbeerboy View Post
    So if ZG is out you'd skip to that to easily outgear MC right making it trivial? So if ZG isn't out upon release then you should deff get achievement for clearing it before release of ZG.
    ZG gear wasn't really better than MC gear and skipping MC means you would skip your Tier sets.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    One of the greater woes that came with WoW was the achievement system imo. Not caring about them clashed with the "achievement whores" and turned many raids into a stretched bore-fest. :P

I will not miss them in classic.
    Well achievements are fun actually it's something to do and gives you goals to set in game.. also gives a feeling of progress to your account and long term rewards.

15+ Year Old Account
    MC wasn't easier because of gear from ZG. MC was difficult because it was actually not an easy raid to do because of mechanics that could wipe your raid if people didn't dispel/purge/run out in time. MC was very much a clusterfuck raid. BWL had boss mechanics that forced you to have certain gear to overcome. ZG was a smaller raid that allowed for gearing up more people in your guild than MC because the amount of gear dropped in MC per max number of people allowed in was higher than the per person limit of MC. The gear wasn't necessarily better but there was more availability of it AND you had the rep from Zandalari/quests for gear in ZG to add to the mix. Guilds typically still ran MC to get people gear even after ZG was released.

Also, since when were achievements given out in vanilla especially for AHTC ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    Vaelastrazs was easier than a modern day LFR boss. People struggled because of threat issues and the fact that it was hard to have 4 or 5 tanks use their brains. And if Flamegor was a cockblock, your raid team was just incompetent.

Again, people need to get it through their thick skulls - in terms of difficulty, Vanilla raiding is an absolute joke compared to today. LFR Kil'Jaeden is harder than any boss in MC or BWL, and probably any boss in AQ40 aside from C'thun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    Vaelastrazs was easier than a modern day LFR boss. People struggled because of threat issues and the fact that it was hard to have 4 or 5 tanks use their brains. And if Flamegor was a cockblock, your raid team was just incompetent.

Again, people need to get it through their thick skulls - in terms of difficulty, Vanilla raiding is an absolute joke compared to today. LFR Kil'Jaeden is harder than any boss in MC or BWL, and probably any boss in AQ40 aside from C'thun.
    Do you think they had the technology back then to even code difficult bosses?

In the report presented by a certain team that was invited to Blizzard HQ, they explained their strategy of progressive itemization to fight against this phenomena.
    Maybe Blizzard will adopt the same strategy, or tune some raids higher.

Deleted
    What item level do you think would be on naxx gear XD
    No idea, but remember GS was an aggregate score, taking into consideration enchants and gems (the latter being not an issue in Classic ofc), so someone will figure out what the requirements should be, perhaps per spec (as in, tanks are def capped etc.) and distill it into a number. And sure enough, a few months in you'll need to be MC geared or better to join a decent MC pug.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well achievements are fun actually it's something to do and gives you goals to set in game.. also gives a feeling of progress to your account and long term rewards.
    You're a troll right? Anyone know if he's a troll? I think he's a troll.

Achievements are NOT fun and doesn't give most people goals in the game unless they're mouth-breathing basement dwellers. Back in the day if you wanted to prove to someone you had ran a raid, you had them inspect your gear to show you had gear from that place. Not only did that help people see that indeed you had ran it but showed you were probably geared enough to actually help the raid down bosses. Now people pay gold or real money to get achievements so they can link to "prove" they are good players but when you get them to something & find out they are complete idiots, you've wasted your time, wasted the raids time, and now you're locked to a raid that you won't be completing simply because you're "good" and bought your achievement.

I'm sure everyone else has already said it. Classic didn't have 'ahead of the curve' as it didn't have achievements. I think that wasn't a thing until MoP anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    No idea, but remember GS was an aggregate score, taking into consideration enchants and gems (the latter being not an issue in Classic ofc), so someone will figure out what the requirements should be, perhaps per spec (as in, tanks are def capped etc.) and distill it into a number. And sure enough, a few months in you'll need to be MC geared or better to join a decent MC pug.
    Do you think it's likely there will be that many players pugging raids months into classic? Im not even sure im hyped about it. If I could play the game the day they announced it then I'd be hyped but the hype has kind of died.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    I'm sure everyone else has already said it. Classic didn't have 'ahead of the curve' as it didn't have achievements. I think that wasn't a thing until MoP anyway.
    Vanilla didn't have achievements xd but classic should have some

No, which makes this so funny, it hurts. /rofl

Vanilla was nickname for original wow. Classic is the name of original wow 2.0 project blizzard has yet to release.