Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Let's play a game: Make the gaming industry WORSE!

Hello champions, good to see you.

So, I don't want to sound nostalgic, nor pretentious, but the gaming industry nowadays it's pretty...bad. The games have improved (at least the graphics department, anyway), but each year we got new problems. First, it was DLC. Then, it was microtransactions. Now, it's lootoboxes. That and a billion other things, like early access, the market being saturated with same-y games, etc.

SO!!!

Let's play a game:

You have the task to make the gaming industry WORSE! Try to make it sound like it could happen - for example:

Do: EA buys CD Projekt Red after Cyberpunk 2077 selling less than Witcher 3, killing the IP for future games in the franchise.

Don't: ACTIVISION BUYS EA AND BOTH DOMINATE THE WORLD!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post

So, I don't want to sound nostalgic, nor pretentious, but the gaming industry nowadays it's pretty...bad. The games have improved (at least the graphics department, anyway), but each year we got new problems. First, it was DLC. Then, it was microtransactions. Now, it's lootoboxes. That and a billion other things, like early access, the market being saturated with same-y games, etc.

SO!!!

Let's play a game:

You have the task to make the gaming industry WORSE! Try to make it sound like it could happen - for example:

Do: EA buys CD Projekt Red after Cyberpunk 2077 selling less than Witcher 3, killing the IP for future games in the franchise.

Why do you want to make me sad?

Bethesda forces the next game to always be online and bans mods due to some PVP mode they added in, so now you can only get mods via creation club.

Gaming industry worse?

Seeing Creation Club become the norm for all rhe usual suspect fuckwit developers just like season passes and uber delux editions

You know which publiahers and developers im talking about
    Last edited by anaxie; 2017-12-01 at 09:21 PM.

The new norm for MMORPG games: Bosses drop locked loot crates. You can buy keys off the online store 1 key $1.99 or the weekly deal of 5 keys for $8.95 $6.50!

Can't raid yet and need the edge to catch up to your raider friends? Epic locked loot crates for $5.99 ea or supercharge your game with an orange locked loot crate for $10.99 for a chance at a legendary item!

Net Neutrality is repealed; ISPs begin collaborating with publishers to manipulate server bandwidths. You now must pay for a subscription to bump up your connection speed to the Overwatch server or otherwise remain five seconds behind everyone else, making the game effectively unplayable.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo takes their toy company tactics to the next level, where their future games all come loaded on next-gen amiibos with limited edition run cycles. (Example: The next Mario game only has 100,000 copies made worldwide and are disproportionately expensive to boot.)

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Pre-order DLC comes inside lootboxes as well. You need to play a gambling minigame to get them.

please
    don't
    pre-order
    games

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post

SO!!!

Let's play a game:

EA and Acti fuck and have a baby called Electronic Vision prophesized to bring about the end times of gaming as we know it.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Please....do not help them. They are doing a horrible enough job on their own. For the love of all that is sacred do not give them more ideas!
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Insert another coin to continue playing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do: Release every game in early access

Don't: Update any game after game is released in early access.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    EA buys out Activision-Blizzard, owns WoW.

Loot crate mania in WoW ensues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Microtransactions for better graphics settings and framerate. Seperately of course.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Two words: Uwe Boll.
    I wouldn't mind that if I'm entirely honest, it'd feed AVGN in the future.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nintendo decides that Pokemon needs microtransactions and you need it for in game currency and pokeballs work only 25% of the time and you can only use 5 a day.

All games need to be brought digitally with credit card and downloaded.

All cut scenes and loading screens charge an anti ad tax because providing this gaming experience ad free is expensive and requires some form of commitment from our gaming community to keep intrusive ads out of our games, we are pro gamer after all.

This charge is automatic and hidden to keep your invoices clutter free from pesky fee notification text. We value your time

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Microtransactions for better graphics settings and framerate. Seperately of course.

I wouldn't mind that if I'm entirely honest, it'd feed AVGN in the future.
    Loot box for graphical settings, legendary card unlocks a 120hz 4k setting that requires approx 200hours playing or pay to speed up the process. Let's make it happen guys, default setting is 320x240, gotta work yourself up through the settings so that you get the illusion of improving at the game to boot.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

The worst thing I can possibly imagine happening to the game industry right now is if big publishers somehow found a way to stamp out indie development, or make it incredibly difficult. That'll probably never happen because indies make retailers tons of dosh and they don't exactly compete directly with most AAA titles, but it would be a dire day for the gaming medium if something like that ever came to pass. Right now indies are the main source of innovation and diversity in the industry, with their successful ideas slowly trickling back up to the AAA space every now and again. Without that, we'd be stuck in a perpetual loop of $60+ dollar games repeating the same handful of ideas over and over again, with focus testing and corporate cynicism stifling most of the medium's creativity.