Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Do you play on SEA servers? The team with the least amount of throwers win.
    That's all you needed to say. You're not a thrower, right?

Therefore, your opposing team has 6 potential throwers in it, yours has 5. On average, you will win, then. Right?

I don't play on SEA servers, so maybe there is some pervasive issue that means population statistics don't work, or that number of games played to reach your appropriate SR is really large, but generally, persistence, optimism and self improvement will contribute to increasing your SR. Queuing with like minded players should speed up that effect, too.

From what you've written it does look like SEA servers have issues, and in that case my advice is moot. I guess the only solution is to grab a 6-stack.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a terrible idea. I don't have 5 people to reliably play with if I'd want to play and as such would be shut out from playing the game in competitive at all.
    You would still have the solo queu meme option, im talking about a seperate option with unique rewards, if they dont add a incentive for people to do it nobody will do it, but blizzard wants everyone to be cooker cutter in ow, no exclusivity to players who are better, they just get a nice portrait atm, there is no way at the moment to experience a genuine overwatch competitive experience, outside 6 queuing which you get actively punished for doing by the matchmaker system.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    You would still have the solo queu meme option, im talking about a seperate option with unique rewards, if they dont add a incentive for people to do it nobody will do it, but blizzard wants everyone to be cooker cutter in ow, no exclusivity to players who are better, they just get a nice portrait atm, there is no way at the moment to experience a genuine overwatch competitive experience, outside 6 queuing which you get actively punished for doing by the matchmaker system
    That's still a terrible idea.

That's still a terrible idea.
    Well your not the demo for it, it would be for people who take the game a bit more serious than 90% of people, yeah there might be longer queu times but high end players said theyd take 20-30 minute quueus just to get away from memers and trolls, i admittedly am not on that end myself, i am a master player but i would like to experience a full group play with actual meta group comps and counter picking, but mostly thinking about from a twitch viewer perspective and from what the top players had said themselves and the games they've gotten with blatant throwers and trolls on a regular basis in the highest rank, let alone how bad it is below their level.
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2017-11-30 at 11:57 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    It is not based on personal performance. Other people affect your rating heavily and that's not personal performance.

- - - Updated - - -

If you play over 1000 games maybe. I have 30 games this season so far, I haven't played many games because whenever I type to my friend people react with "no wonder we're losing, we have fucking viets on the team" or "gg loss, we have viets" and don't even try to win.
    lol!! welcome to how it is in europe, people say same about us from baltic or russia

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    Well your not the demo for it, it would be for people who take the game a bit more serious than 90% of people, yeah there might be longer queu times but high end players said theyd take 20-30 minute quueus just to get away from memers and trolls, i admittedly am not on that end myself, i am a master player but i would like to experience a full group play with actual meta group comps and counter picking, but mostly thinking about from a twitch viewer perspective and from what the top players had said themselves and the games they've gotten with blatant throwers and trolls on a regular basis in the highest rank, let alone how bad it is below their level.
    Stop relying on a random group button to find your ideal group. Blizzard gave you the tools to fix this yourself. If you really take the game seriously “unlike 90% of the game” you would do the one thing that would ensure you get no throwers and teams that create comps... you put good players on your friends list and invite 5 people.

There are discord servers dedicated to finding good overwatch teammates. This requires such little effort. Watch the pros, do they rando solo? Nope.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharjo View Post
    Do they? Surely if you're at exactly the mean, then the distribution of SRs on both teams would, on average, be exactly the same.
    But you're using one slot up, so that's a slot that can't be given to a better player. SR distributions are very rarely so even since most groups will have a premade pairing in them that widens the gaps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    But you're using one slot up, so that's a slot that can't be given to a better player. SR distributions are very rarely so even since most groups will have a premade pairing in them that widens the gaps.
    I disagree that premades change anything, since groups queue as a several players with an SR of the groups average. But yeah, I guess it's the same premise as everything else I've been rambling about. If you have an appropriate SR, there are 5 possible spots that each have a 50% chance of a player playing below their SR, whereas the enemy team has 6 such slots.

But then again, the average of those random slots will just be the mean, so if you're at an appropriate SR, as stats go to large, both teams will average the appropriate SR, so the only disparity then will be the SR difference of the two teams fighting, which on average will be 0.
    I think I've forgotten the point of this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharjo View Post
    Nope, if you're better than your average SR, then their team has 6 chances to get bad players. Your team has 5. You should have a 50+% win rate. If that's not the case, you're not better than players of your SR.
    This is incorrect. It is astoundingly incorrect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Ok good point, you have me convinced.

Today game : while boosted as Mcclick, shutdown Valkyrie Mercy, flashbang Earthshatter/kill Rein into 180 headshot Tracer. Damn that felt good !
    Played very poorly the following games though, guess I used all my skills/luck into that play. But hey, today was a good day.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

Having a great time on Moira. If someone beats me to the pick I still get to play Ana, and damn have I missed her. The only thing I don't like is when people tell me she can't solo heal. While that is true for some comps, most she can effectively be right on par with a Mercy, especially when you start getting used to her and can effectively build her Ult fast. Honestly, I can see a nerf for how fast it gets built coming pretty quickly, which can possibly have a drastic impact on pick rate for her.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well i just got potg on moira for pressing right click on a few people. Thats cool i guess. My orb wasn't even active throughout the potg.
    Last edited by Skylarking; 2017-12-01 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Well i just got potg on moira for pressing right click on a few people. Thats cool i guess. My orb wasn't even active throughout the potg.
    I've gotten 2 so far. 1 was an Ana boosting me during Ult, the other just had us scratch our heads. Heal for 1 second, orb and drain Reaper, heal DVa, spin around and drain Tracer, heal Rein a bit...PotG! Like, we all asked, did we all suck that much? Gave both teams a chuckle.

- - - Updated - - -

I should stop for the day. 3/5 W/L. Just had a game where a guy blamed our team comp (read: the 1 person on Hanzo) as the reason we lost round 1. Pointed out a guy who picks Winston against McCree, 76, Tracer, and Hog shouldn't complain about the team comp. He then stated that if he hadn't then McCree would have gotten his Ult off every time and our Hanzo was terrible and the reason we lost that round. Just what?

- - - Updated - - -

Make that 3/6. Nothing I could do. 1 game suicide Rein, overextending like crazy charging in 1v3. Meanwhile I'm on Moira healing the Genji running at me as I try to make it to Rein. Next game we go against a 1 tank team with Hog while we have 2 snipers who can't hit the opposite side of the cap points wall. Next game encounter a Widow who was so good you'd almost think she was using an aimbot, and even when we got a shield tank (1min left), my team just continued to trickle. Next game I play a damage dealer and play like complete shite. Next game was close and lost round 3 KotH, partly because everyone went a Boop character and could never get them knocked into the well, focusing on that so much they had no map awareness. So on and so on.
    Total of about 100 SR loss from where I started today. Only redeeming quality is the fun I keep having on Moira. Hilarious that I can get gold elims just because of her damage orb hitting everyone on a push.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2017-12-02 at 07:19 AM.

You must be great at debate.

Just completed my Placement matches this season, won 5 and lost 5, ended up in diamond(barely)
    but it was my first time placing there, so im happy.
    Yay me.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Lost 2 games today to a Bastion/Rein comp where my team constantly fed the same choke point and charged straight in :/

Matchmaking is so broken in this game. Win 2 games, lose 1 and you're back to where you started. That's not how a rank system should work.

Is it the end of the season or are people just becoming that toxic? So much complaining on my teams lately. One game we had Rein, DVa, Junk, Lucio, McCree, and Moira...Rein blames Junk and Moira for the loss. Talks about how shit of a healer Moira is. Complains Junkrat is terrible. Goes on to talk about how he has gold objective time (grats on that on defense points Rein), objective kills, and elims. The guy just did nothing but swing his hammer and leave us all exposed, but it's always other people's fault.
    Also started watching Ragtagg and kind of agree with him, it would be nice if they gave more comprehensive stat breakdowns at the end of a game. Like showing Moira with gold elims? No, I got 38 assists, not 38 elims. Come on.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as games...continuing the downward spiral. Just had a game where Hanzo and Reaper wanted to flank and overextend. That's fine, cool; however, our Mercy kept going with them, they all died, and we'd lose point every time. Just shaking my head in frustration.
    Last edited by Eapoe; 2017-12-03 at 05:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's exactly correct.

Make up a number for the chance that any given player will throw. Let's say there's a 10% chance that any given player will throw the match. That's probably way high, but fine.

This is (relatively) simple match. The first slot filled in a match will have a 100/1000 chance of being a thrower. (I know I could round that down to 1/10, but it'll make the math easier, trust me).
    In the 900/1000 times that it isn't, there's a 10% chance that the 2nd slot will have a thrower. Which is an additional 90/1000 chance. So we're up to 190/1000.
    For the 3rd slot, we're looking at the remaining 810/1000 times, so that's an extra 81/1000. Total chance of a thrower: 271/1000.
    For the 4th, this leaves us 729/1000, and 10% of that is (about) 73/1000. So total chance now of 344/1000.
    For the 5th, from the 656/1000 unthrown matches, and a 10% chance of a thrower, that's about 66/1000 more, so we're up to 410/1000. About a 41% chance that (at least) one of the other 5 players is going to throw, if 10% of players throw.

Now, here's the important part. You don't throw. Since you don't throw, your matches only have a 41% chance of having a thrower in them.
    Everyone else, they still have to deal with the 10% chance for that last slot. Since there's 590/1000 matches this affects, that 10% chance works out to 59/1000 more thrown. Bringing the total to 469/1000.

So, if;
    1> the chance any given player throws a match is 10%, and
    2> you don't throw matches, then
    3> there's a 41% chance you'll lose due to a thrower, but a 47% chance that you'll win due to a thrower.

That 10% value is made-up based on nothing but a desire to make the math easier, but the same will hold true regardless of what the actual chance is. If you don't throw matches yourself, you will win more matches because the enemy team has a thrower, than you'll lose because of throwers on your team. On average, at least. Like any random sampling, streaks occur fairly freely if your number of matches is low.

Math. If you aren't throwing, and you play a lot, throwers are more of a benefit to you than a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Matchmaking is so broken in this game. Win 2 games, lose 1 and you're back to where you started. That's not how a rank system should work.
    There's two numbers. Your SR, which is what you're seeing. And your MMR, which is based on your history and your performance. If your SR is significantly higher than your MMR, you'll gain way less SR for wins, and lose way more SR for losses, to ensure you drop as quickly as possible back down to an SR closer to your MMR. If you're losing twice as much SR as you're winning, per match, your SR is too high and you should be downranked somewhat; that's all this means.