Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    What you describe only affects about 700,000 give or take. Is that really revolution-worthy?
    So people working their 40+ hours just like anyone else don't deserve a roof over their head and food on the table, which the federal min wage cannot ensure in most of the country?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You do understand it.
    No they do not. And apparently neither do you.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Income inequality in the U.S. is the highest among all developed nations. With the federal minimum wage being only $7.25 per hour, people are living in modern slavery just making enough money to barely survive. The republicans in the senate just voted to give an express lane that is going to make inequality far worse.

How long can this go on without some kind of major revolution?
    Your European bias and ignorance is showing. The US economy is performing at record levels. Tax reform just took money OFF the government and gave it BACK to Americans.

Protip for Eurotards: If the rich man next door who earns $800,000 gets a $40,000 tax cut, it DOESN'T DIMINISH that fact that yourself earning $50,000 just got a $8,000 cut. Get your covetous little hands out of his wallet, it's not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    So people working their 40+ hours just like anyone else don't deserve a roof over their head and food on the table, which the federal min wage cannot ensure in most of the country?
    /facepalm

you do realize each state has a min wage that overrides the fed min? please tell me you are not that fucking stupid.

everyone could afford all of that at min, they just choose not to do so. get roommates. move to a cheaper area. waste less money. stop making stupid fucking decisions. its pretty easy, and lets be honest, if you stay at min wage for an extended period of time, you probably deserve to be there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    everyone could afford all of that at min, they just choose not to do so. get roommates. move to a cheaper area. waste less money. stop making stupid fucking decisions. its pretty easy, and lets be honest, if you stay at min wage for an extended period of time, you probably deserve to be there.
    Say I was born in NYC where the cost of living is out the ass or you're stuck in the projects. I turn 18, get a job working min wage. Its not enough to get by, I'm living paycheck to paycheck with 2 jobs. School is a pipe dream because I can't keep my grades up while working 40+/week, one top of having to work more to pay for school. I could seek a better paying job but I find myself competing with people with degrees who themselves have to settle for lower wages for a job. How the fuck am I supposed to save up enough money to move to the middle of Nebraska where I can get by off min wage without turning to the streets?

Say I was born in NYC where the cost of living is out the ass or you're stuck in the projects. I turn 18, get a job working min wage. Its not enough to get by, I'm living paycheck to paycheck with 2 jobs. School is a pipe dream because I can't keep my grades up while working 40+/week, one top of having to work more to pay for school. I could seek a better paying job but I find myself competing with people with degrees who themselves have to settle for lower wages for a job. How the fuck am I supposed to save up enough money to move to the middle of Nebraska where I can get by off min wage without turning to the streets?
    find a roommate on craigslist, xfr from your NY kfc job to one of the 80 kfc openings in nebraska, bus ticket, profit. i.e dont be a lazy fuck

also, its rather easy to compete with those who have degrees for middle class type jobs, in that world (40k down in my area), experience and ability is key. construction pays WAY above min, as do things like bank teller, call centers, telemarketer, loss prevention for telecom companies. if you are stuck at min wage, it is YOUR fault.
    Last edited by The Oblivion; 2017-12-03 at 06:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    /facepalm

you do realize each state has a min wage that overrides the fed min? please tell me you are not that fucking stupid.
    Why would you say something so ignorant when you could just google it?

https://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

- - - Updated - - -

find a roommate on craigslist, xfr from your NY kfc job to one of the 80 kfc openings in nebraska, bus ticket, profit. i.e dont be a lazy fuck

also, its rather easy to compete with those who have degrees for middle class type jobs, in that world (40k down in my area), experience and ability is key. construction pays WAY above min, as do things like bank teller, call centers, telemarketer, loss prevention for telecom companies. if you are stuck at min wage, it is YOUR fault.
    Your privilege is showing.

1st of move the fuck out of nebraska... its like asking why cant i move up in the likes of romania vs germany... you like in a shit state that values hard work (aka miners) and you are nowhere near mentally tough enough for a job like that. yous bitchmade yo.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

- - - Updated - - -

no, its a fact. only the truely lazy stay at min wage. if you are stuck in min wage, its because thats what you are truely worth, sorry.

There are actually very few cases (relatively speaking) where either your statement here or the OP's statement is accurate. Like I said, there are only about 700k people working federal minimum wage in the whole country - the price of living will vary quite a bit, but on average that will give you a roof over your head and food on the table.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not easy. That would disrespect the people who have worked their way up from those places of hardship. But it is quite doable.

always knew liberals definition of privilege is intelligence. in that case i am very privileged

In this theoretical scenario (obviously you're too privileged to have really experienced anything like this), what are you going to school for?

- - - Updated - - -

New York shows 9.7$, a couple dollars above federal minimum wage. Are you sure you wanted to link all those rates?

I enjoy being american.. I wouldn't go anywhere else... I love traveling and pretty much every other Country is jealous

10+ Year Old Account
    There are actually very few cases (relatively speaking) where either your statement here or the OP's statement is accurate. Like I said, there are only about 700k people working federal minimum wage in the whole country - the price of living will vary quite a bit, but on average that will give you a roof over your head and food on the table.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not easy. That would disrespect the people who have worked their way up from those places of hardship. But it is quite doable.
    Not sure where you're getting 700k. At quick Google search of Department of Labor stats put the number at 2.6 million. I just looked up my hometown, which isn't in a huge urban area, and if you're making anything less than $10/hr you're fucked.

I live in irvine which is pretty much one of the most expensive cities in the
    world.

I am married, travel a lot, make plenty.

I don't have any type of degree... you can do it too.

10+ Year Old Account

New York shows 9.7$, a couple dollars above federal minimum wage. Are you sure you wanted to link all those rates?
    1) $9.7/hour in NYC means you're in line a welfare line.

2) The person I quoted said:

/facepalm

Is no one reading or bothering to back up their comments with data tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Income inequality in the U.S. is the highest among all developed nations. With the federal minimum wage being only $7.25 per hour, people are living in modern slavery just making enough money to barely survive. The republicans in the senate just voted to give an express lane that is going to make inequality far worse.

How long can this go on without some kind of major revolution?
    It's foolish to look at income inequality as some sort of measuring bar on how good your life is. So as long as we can hold off Idiocracy, we should be OK.

Citizens of the U.S. are among the top 1% of income earners in the world. What exactly are we revolting from? Someone in the U.S. living in poverty still makes twice the worldwide median income.

Then you have studies which are all out of whack so they can bend numbers to their will to push an agenda.

In Cuba, the people running the place are billionaires, while the average household income is $30 a month. Yet, that's what you push for and say it's more equal than the U.S.. In your head, that's Utopia. No thanks. As long as my quality of life keeps improving (which it has never stopped doing in the U.S.), I really couldn't care less how many billions some rich dude has.

Everyone has more cars, TVs, cellphones, subscriptions, entertainment, free-time, etc, than any previous generation in the U.S. has ever had, and you are going to piss and moan that Bill Gates is a billionaire?

I guess this is what we get when people don't have real things to struggle against. They just go out there and start looking for and inventing bogey men to fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally speaking if you are working 40+ hours per week you aren't making minimum wage, you also likely get the general benefit packages health care, 401k etc. If you are working in fast food you are more or less required by the business to not work over 30 hours per week since after that you have to get benefits (I base this off the movie theater I work at not letting people get 60+ hours per paycheck I think it needs to be 2-3 times in a row for that to kick in though but generally people work 40-50 hours per 2 week period).

As far as getting a better job? It wouldn't be that difficult, any desk/manufacturing job is going to pay a good bit more than the $7.75 i make. Volvo is hiring a bunch of people and sending them for a crash training course in Sweden, Boeing is always hiring new people because 17$ an hour is pretty shit pay for 60+ hours per week, I think Verizon is building a call center which probably starts off at 10-13$ an hour..... hell work at wal-mart their minimum wage is $10 I think and it's not that difficult to move up from what I've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

1) $9.7/hour in NYC means you're in line a welfare line.
    ~19k/year is the welfare line? What yearly amount qualifies for welfare? And how much?