Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Possible future classes

So... having taken a look at units from WC-WC3 and mobs etc from WoW. I came up with a simple lift, no spiffy details :P Just stuff that kinda are missing. Some are possibly better of as specs, like a bloodmage for example.

Tinker
    Fantasy: Gadgets, Mech Suits, random Tech.
    Races: Human, Undead, Orc, Gnome, Dwarf, Draenei, Blood Elf, Goblin
    Justification for races: All of these have shown interest or skill in engineering at some point or another, and inclusion is better than exclusion.

Reasoning: Tinker is a no brainer, it has endless possibilities because its only core tenent is Technology, and that is a superwide archetype. It's also a fan favorite of late.

Occultist

Fantasy: Forbidden Magic, Non-Demon related.
    Races: Human, Undead, Blood Elf, Orc, Gnome, Goblin, Troll, Dwarf, Worgen
    Justification for races: Anything that can be a warlock really.
    Specs etc: Necromancy, Blood Magic, Runemaster
    Justification: The vrykul in stormheim uses a kind of rune magic that seems easily expandable, blood mages have started popping up everywhere and they seem to be alot about giving life to things, necromancer is another fan favorite that due to death knight probably works better as a spec than a full class.

So far these are the only real options I have found that doesnt overlap with what we already have, if I notice more or if anyone else thinks there is something missing, comment etc... Just curious how people feel, since I see alot of "there are no more classes that could be added".

The only "real" option is no more classes.

I think some crossover is inevitable, after all, many classes share the types of magic they use with other classes (mage, shaman, dk all can use frost). The rpg classes I think that have the most potentially are; runemaster, bard, techno mage, tinker, steam warrior, techslayer, lightslayer and plagueshifter.

Runemaster could be a shaman that fights more hand-to-hand like a monk but uses sigils like the demon hunter's do, but with more buff/debuff options oviously.

Bard this could be the first "support" role class, with spells to buff/heal allies and debuff/damage enemies (maybe similar to songstress from FFX2)

Techno mage basically a ranger that has magic skill like a mage/mage that uses a gun or ranged weapons like a ranger

Tinker as something more like an alchemist from FF perhaps that also uses machines and possibly a mech-pet to help them fight.

Steam warrior dva in world of warcraft

Techslayer a shaman or druid that is more water based perhaps (water makes metal rust) or something else to help better fight against mechanical enemies

Lightslayer I guess what Alleria has become but apllied to rogue skills rather then hunter ones? (the name and lore was cool)

Plagueshifter perhaps the druid/shaman focuses on absorbing damage (self and allies), then activates a buff to vastly increase dps for a short amount of time equal to the amount of dmg they took?

Some like the necromancer I didn't inclded as they are better fleshed out in games such as Guild Wars 2, so that could be used as a base perhaps.

Although, perhaps we need to stop looking at merely wow rpg for class ideas, and look at other games entirely. Tera Online, Guild Wars, Final Fantasy, these are a treasure trove of ideas.

I think if we could get a mid-range class like the reapers from Tera, that would be AWESOME! (if you haven't seen it before, think god of war with scythes instead of swords, and its basically the same thing).

*And Archeage, I forgot about Archeage
    Last edited by DarkLightDisciple; 2017-12-03 at 03:04 AM. Reason: forgot to cite a reference

Dragonsworn.

Literally an open concept that could be anything.

My own interpretation is a plate or mail-wearing polearm wielding class that uses Draconic magic in certain forms. They're meant to be representatives of the Dragonflights after they choose to take a back seat to protecting the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

As for future classes it’s hard to say.
    Steam-Warrior Tinker, Chronomancer, and a 2 spec Shadow Hunter/Dark Ranger, feel like they have most design space and unused themes, so I rank them as higher contender.

Bard is also in the same boat as the one mentioned above, but it feels more goofy. I’ll defend Necromancers and believe there is space for them, but I like,the Bard just don’t see Blizzard pursuing it in a serious manner.

Classes like Blademaster, warden, runemaster, spellshield, etc feel more like flavors in a spec, much less a whole spec and class. So,I rank these extremely low. I think it’s going to take a serious out-of-the-box concept to implement these, and then not as a class.

Mech suit tinker class limited to gnomes, dwarves, goblins, and future allied races that wears mail

4th spec, voodoo shamans

Tinker seems to come up often enough that someone has to be considering it at Blizz. They could tie in new classes with professions somehow, max out Engineering and do some special quest stuff, unlock Tinker. Seems unlikely but all bets are off in WoW as far as I'm concerned, they could add/change anything at this point.

No one ever mentions a sea witch. I don't think we have any offensive water or wind spells do we? A mail wearing half caster/half ranged auto attacker hybrid thing idk how it'd work im not a game designer. And then also having a time/sand based hero class would also be unique like the bronze dragonflight.

There will never be a tinker class we already got engineering to cover it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mich4el View Post
    Just like there won't be a necromancer, and so on, and so on.. I guess that is your path?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bryden7 View Post
    No one ever mentions a sea witch. I don't think we have any offensive water or wind spells do we? A mail wearing half caster/half ranged auto attacker hybrid thing idk how it'd work im not a game designer. And then also having a time/sand based hero class would also be unique like the bronze dragonflight.
    Well, would be nice to turn mage into an elementalist instead. And actually give water and frost a combination. As well as having Fire, wind and Earth setup as well. *cough* Earth could easily be a tank specc, if you think so far but I don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLightDisciple View Post
    *And Archeage, I forgot about Archeage
    AA was awesome but WAY too many classes through the combinations.. Haha.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The only "new classes" that can come about now, are additional specs. Like...
    -Runemaster as a shaman tank spec, would be dope.
    -Necromancer for DK or Lock, using ranged spells and undeads (I know, similar to UH DK, but ranged... maybe more DOT and debuff oriented).
    -Blood mage could be a mage spec, obviously.
    -Spellbreaker would be a new warrior spec.
    -Shadowhunter for hunter.
    -Shadow Mage: warlock, mage or priest spec. It focuses entirely on upfront damage, of a shadow variety. Issue here is, it'd play too much like Frost or Fire mage, just recolored. Or, if they made it more DOT focus'd for some reason, it'd be SPriest. I just want to spam shadowball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    The only "new classes" that can come about now, are additional specs. Like...
    -Runemaster as a shaman tank spec, would be dope.
    -Necromancer for DK or Lock, using ranged spells and undeads (I know, similar to UH DK, but ranged... maybe more DOT and debuff oriented).
    -Blood mage could be a mage spec, obviously.
    -Spellbreaker would be a new warrior spec.
    -Shadowhunter for hunter.
    -Shadow Mage: warlock, mage or priest spec. It focuses entirely on upfront damage, of a shadow variety. Issue here is, it'd play too much like Frost or Fire mage, just recolored. Or, if they made it more DOT focus'd for some reason, it'd be SPriest. I just want to spam shadowball.
    But, Shadowhunters are shamans too, or I had to believe with the totem use etc.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Dragonsworn.

Literally an open concept that could be anything.

My own interpretation is a plate or mail-wearing polearm wielding class that uses Draconic magic in certain forms. They're meant to be representatives of the Dragonflights after they choose to take a back seat to protecting the world.
    As someone who is intrigued by the idea of time related healing specs (bronze dragon theme or as a 4th for mages) and more direct earth magic I liked that idea for a while, the issue is that the glory days of dragons are over and it makes little to no sense to bringt these into the fray anytime soon.

Otherwise the best idea right now is to stop adding to the class bloat. Just adding more specs when it's absolutely needed sounds way more reasonable tbh. Most of these ideas do not have enough of a leg to stand on their own anyway in the current class climate without causing another demon hunter warlock fiasko.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mich4el View Post
    There will never be Demon Hunter class, we already have Demonology with Metamorphosis.

OT: I think every new class must:
    - be hero class (to avoid Monk fail; don't get me wrong, class is great, but it's least popular - and DH/DK are among most popular classes)
    - have roots deep within Warcraft lore (so, let's face it - hero from Warcraft 3).
    - be connected to expansion theme and create strong hype; so it's perfect when community speculate about this class years before launch (yeah.. it's second reason why Monk wasn't such success) - when they'll announce it, people should be like "hell yeah", not "uhm, what?"

Also, all stuff that make this or that class "impossible" for you (such us old argument to counter DH) are totally irrelevant. Blizzard can do whatever they want. They can complete revamp Enginnering like they did with Inscription in Legion. Same with classes.

So my strongest bets are: Necromancer (for Scourge expac), Tinker (for "adventure" or Titan themed expac), Warden (expac connected to Nightmare or Elune). In that order.

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on past expansion class inclusions, the possible future class list looks like this;

1. Tinker: Probably the most likely class inclusion. It has two strong lore figures (Gazlowe and Mekkatorque), has a solid expansion theme (Undermine), has a unique class theme (technology), and all of its abilities from WC3 are open for class inclusion.

2. Dark Ranger: A solid possibility. Would combine two popular themes (necromancy and physical ranged), and is tied to an extremely popular lore figure (Sylvannas). Downside to this is BfA looks to be the expansion about Sylvannas, its ability set from WC3 are currently used by other classes, and there's no indication that Dark Rangers go beyond Forsaken (though new races like Void Elves could alleviate that problem).

3.Alchemist: Not likely, but would be an interesting inclusion. Like the Tinker, none of its abilities are currently used by existing classes, and it has a unique class theme (Mad Doctor). More than likely this concept would be absorbed into a Tinker class. Could be combined with concepts like Professor Putricide for some interesting results.

4.Sea With: Not likely, but could be a ranged class that combines elemental abilities with physical ranged. Problems with this concept is that the name of this class is gender-specific, its abilities are currently used by other classes, and it's a naga-based class.

5.Warden: Not likely, but could be a melee/ranged hybrid class that uses a poison theme. Could be used in conjunction with a Dark Ranger class concept. Downsides to this is that its very similar to a Rogue, its abilities are within existing classes, a future expansion theme is tough to pin down, and its very race-specific. Additionally, the desire for another class that is heavily elven-based is suspect.

I think the Bard is a solid candidate. It's a character whose theme is based on spellsong that also is a versatile fighter with both a long-range weapon and a sword, in most fantasy settings. It can perform all roles save for tanking. Healer, spellcaster, physical range, physical melee.

4.Sea With: Not likely, but could be a ranged class that combines elemental abilities with physical ranged. Problems with this concept is that the name of this class is gender-specific, its abilities are currently used by other classes, and it's a naga-based class.
    I find it funny you mention that bards cannot exist because of one spell kinda-sorta-maybe overlaps, but the sea-witch is possible despite most of its abilities being used by other classes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I find it funny you mention that bards cannot exist because of one spell kinda-sorta-maybe overlaps, but the sea-witch is possible despite most of its abilities being used by other classes...
    Bards have no WC3 connection (thus no ability base), no lore character to base them off of, and no logical expansion theme.

I could see Bards be a future profession. That's about it.

Sea Witches have a WC3 connection, have a lore character to base them off of (Azshara), and a logical expansion theme (Azshara).

See the difference?

Lock the thread, we already have a Teriz v. Ielenia on classes. Pretty sure this thread exist to not do that.

Bards have no WC3 connection (thus no ability base), no lore character to base them off of, and no logical expansion theme.
    I'll repeat what you keep ignoring, and then that's it:
    WC3 connection: irrelevant, as you haven't proven that Blizzard can't not use WC3 for class development;
    Lore character: Lorewalker Cho, Russel Brower, Hearthsinger Forresten;
    Expansion theme: for some reason you think I'm the entirety of Blizzard's expansion development theme? That's the only explanation for your claim that just because I can't think of anything, then that means Blizzard can't.

Sea Witches have a WC3 connection, have a lore character to base them off of (Azshara), and a logical expansion theme (Azshara).
    So do necromancers, so do necromancers, and so do necromancers.

And that's all I'm going to say about that, in this thread.

Why do people start a thread when there is an exact copy of it directly under it ?