Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    There's not many in circulation to begin with.

There's 300 million firearms in circulation and 3d printing technology allows people to build many components of a firearm from their home with the right equipment.

Common sense dude, common sense.
    Common sense says it is still just as easy to obtain one. Also I wasn't aware that 3d printing only allowed you to print semi auto's. Thats really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumzlug View Post
    Common sense says it is still just as easy to obtain one. Also I wasn't aware that 3d printing only allowed you to print semi auto's. Thats really neat.
    I believe but cannot confirm that posting the file or specs for a full auto searer might be a crime. That seems to ring in my ears from somewhere.

That said, full auto weapons are still legally purchased and made for the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    I believe but cannot confirm that posting the file or specs for a full auto searer might be a crime. That seems to ring in my ears from somewhere.

That said, full auto weapons are still legally purchased and made for the right price.
    Where there's a market, there will be a supply.

Where there's a market, there will be a supply.
    True, but it happens the the general consensus is that the price isn't worth it considering the alternative.

The only real criminals seeking full auto weapons are cartels and radical terrorists. For both camps, they have the pockets and connections to ship in from Cold War stockpiles.

The average gangbanger here in the USA doesn't really seem to be in a position where it's a high demand given the supply of other viable weapons. Also, most crime is committed with handguns to wit there are only a few fully auto pistols ever designed. Most that were didn't arrive here in many numbers to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    If only that was the only intention of the NRA. When it comes to other constitutional rights, people don't flock to defend them as they do with firearms. The USA has a problem.
    Hmm guess that means there aren't Civil Rights groups for the 1st and 4th amendments at all

But the argument is that because its illegal then people won't do it right? or are you saying that only applies to guns and not 3d printing? So which one is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    If only that was the only intention of the NRA. When it comes to other constitutional rights, people don't flock to defend them as they do with firearms. The USA has a problem.
    Yeah they do, wtf are you talking about, there are many lobbying groups and private organizations that spend money and time pursuing court cases where constitutional rights are at stake, the ACLU being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Doesn't even own a gun and isn't afraid to leave the house. Lives in Texas...mind blown.
    My apologies, with "you guys" I meant the kind of people that I replied to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumzlug View Post
    But the argument is that because its illegal then people won't do it right? or are you saying that only applies to guns and not 3d printing? So which one is it?
    I didn't make an argument. I only commented a reason as to why it's not as common.

Again, most criminals are so because of opportunity. Not very many go out of their way to commit 25 year felony taxes on whatever dumb shit they are currently up to.

I believe the other person was making note that for the most part technology has radically moved beyond a lot of firearm prevention.

The only two areas that could radically be undermined are ammunition and springs. Cannot garage those solutions very easily.

As a pro gun guy I fall into a bit of a grey area. I support rights a the freedom but don't particularly agree with most arguments from either side.

I didn't make an argument. I only commented a reason as to why it's not as common.

Again, most criminals are so because of opportunity. Not very many go out of their way to commit 25 year felony taxes on whatever dumb shit they are currently up to.

I believe the other person was making note that for the most part technology has radically moved beyond a lot of firearm prevention.

The only two areas that could radically be undermined are ammunition and springs. Cannot garage those solutions very easily.

As a pro gun guy I fall into a bit of a grey area. I support rights a the freedom but don't particularly agree with most arguments from either side.
    I just want to be left alone to be perfectly honest.

I'm a law abiding gun owner, leave me alone and stop telling me that I shouldn't be able to own my firearms for whatever stupid fucking reason.

if it's as common in every household as kitchen utensils and you don't see anything wrong with that then yeah it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    if it's as common in every household as kitchen utensils and you don't see anything wrong with that then yeah it probably is.
    If it's as common as that and the numbers are lower than car accidents, I fail to see a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by a1derful1 View Post
    I know. I was a kid once. Quite the terror too. Also had a cabinet full of guns that were loaded and didn't touch them. Just because some people thin out their own herds, it doesn't mean we all do.
    Just sayin'. You're living with an unnecessary risk. No, your kids aren't saints. Just because you survived doesn't mean they do. It's not a guarantee. Do not rely on height alone. Never ever. Put that shit behind locks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayia View Post
    it seems like a shame you didn't think of drinking the bleach when you were a kid then huh?

You realise our parents were raised with far less protections and worrying? being raised on a farm if you were stupid enough you could get kicked by a horse and killed.. i'd say that is much more dangerous than a firearm.
    Our parents' generation also had more deaths due to stupidity. We have sinking mortality rates in the Western World not just because of medicine, but mostly because we finally start seeing the signs and use precaution to avoid pathological states in the first place.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

I just want to be left alone to be perfectly honest.

I'm a law abiding gun owner, leave me alone and stop telling me that I shouldn't be able to own my firearms for whatever stupid fucking reason.
    Me to...

Abortion not my business, gay marriage not my business, drug use not my business... etc etc etc ...

I don't give a damn what you do as long as it doesn't effect me, my family or my personal property ... please show me the same respect...
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Translation: Bad things happen to other people, it wouldn't happen to me. Well, except for maybe someone might get past three dogs, a decent security system, and overlapping coverage from my neighbors. That could happen to me so I am OK with raising the danger to my daughter.

/facepalm

I would guess your cousin grew up in a similar way to you, and a way similar to what you propose for raising your daughter. May you never have to revisit a similar tragedy, but I hope you'll think about the implications. Suicide is impulsive. There may not be warning signs that you can catch in time. She won't be two forever.
    Isn't that what everyone thinks? I won't get hit by lightning. I won't get cancer. I won't knocked up because I'm on birth control and use condoms. I won't get blah blah blah, so on and so forth. If we lived with all those fears, we'd all be in padded rooms and straight jackets. You risk a high chance of dying just by getting on a highway each day, yet people drone back and forth from work every day with terrible habits behind the wheel like eating, texting, applying makeup, reading, drinking alcohol, or driving while tired, to name a few. I have much greater concern for my wife driving in Houston than an incident with a gun in my house, because I can control the house and have it in order. You might not like how I have it in order, but it is nonetheless.

There is a saying about people who assume, but you can look that up on your own. My cousin and I were complete opposites. I grew up on a decent sized farm in Texas, had easy access to guns, and had been taught how to use them. My cousin, on the other hand, lived in the city in Illinois, was not raised around guns, and didn't know much about them. He stole my uncles gun, then eventually put it in his mouth and pulled the trigger. He never respected guns, as his parents shielded him from them. My uncle didn't even know his gun was missing because he rarely did anything with it. Mine are checked regularly, because I take them to the range and break them down for cleaning. I don't put them back in their places, until she goes to bed, to prevent curiosity, for now, until she's old enough to understand.
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

Deleted
    No, no it's not. It's a loud minority stealing the stage. Most gun owners are just normal people going about their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Just sayin'. You're living with an unnecessary risk. No, your kids aren't saints. Just because you survived doesn't mean they do. It's not a guarantee. Do not rely on height alone. Never ever. Put that shit behind locks.
    Duh...I know kids aren't saints and just because one person got shot by a gun in a house doesn't mean they all do. It's not a guarantee.

I don't rely on height alone. They are in compartments or other objects meant for concealing them in the house. I will never put a lock on a gun. You can stick that idea where the sun don't shine.
    The first explanation means you don't know. The second means you don't understand. The third means you can't accept the answer.

Mine are checked regularly, because I take them to the range and break them down for cleaning. I don't put them back in their places, until she goes to bed, to prevent curiosity, for now, until she's old enough to understand.
    Ah, that gives me hope for you. Smart move. Very smart move. You could actually call yourself a life saver being that careful. I respect that.

- - - Updated - - -

Duh...I know kids aren't saints and just because one person got shot by a gun in a house doesn't mean they all do. It's not a guarantee.

I don't rely on height alone. They are in compartments or other objects meant for concealing them in the house. I will never put a lock on a gun. You can stick that idea where the sun don't shine.
    It's not a single incident that makes me hit that notch. It's a plethora of newspaper articles and websites actually running statistics on child deaths by gun that make me think "If it's worth running a statistic on that, it's really too much..."

Given how crazy the typical 2nd amendment crowd is, I think it's safe to make some assumptions. You'll have to live with that. And you do. At least you're not instantly going into "insult Europe" mode when engaged with a few fair critique points like some other people that somehow tend to shut down their higher brain functions as soon as someone says "guns!"
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Given how crazy the typical 2nd amendment crowd is, I think it's safe to make some assumptions. You'll have to live with that. And you do. At least you're not instantly going into "insult Europe" mode when engaged with a few fair critique points like some other people that somehow tend to shut down their higher brain functions as soon as someone says "guns!"
    I work with a lot of Europeans offshore (Norweigan, British, Swedish), so I'm used to the questions. I don't typically get rude, unless someone else is and sometimes it's hard to decipher in plain text. I know that most Europeans won't understand our culture and that's ok. If you haven't lived with it, it can be difficult to comprehend. The guys I work with tell me how things are in their country and I have to contain myself not to wretch. It seems foreign to me, and it is, as our ways are foreign to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ a1derful1 So many edgy one liners. More please, the five o'clock stubble needs it. Hmmm, actually, we teach people things like what can put you in more danger during a thunderstorm. We warn people about carcinogens. A person already using birth control pills and condoms is already taking steps to reduce the risk of pregnancy. People are aware of, react to, and manage risks all the time. Welcome to life, the padded cells haven't filled up yet.

Except for the fact that I feel you make a wonderful example for taking things too far -- I don't know you, your wife, or your daughter. If something happens, you'll be a minor blip in statistics and the odds are I'll never even know. My apologies for attempting to be polite though, I'll put it plainer so you can feel manly feeding me more of your witticisms. Your cousin knew enough about guns to know two things, how to get one and how to blow his brains out. One thing that is pretty certain about kids, they always find the stuff their parents are hiding and often because they get curious about what it is.

That doesn't really matter though. You can teach your daughter about guns, you can keep playing cute games to hide them. What you can't control is what she hears, whether she gets bullied, whether she gets pulled into her generation's version of the Blue Whale. As long as you cannot do that, you cannot really control your house in a way that will guarantee she won't be able to eat one of your guns. You accept that, that's your right, but it seems odd for a guy who goes to so much effort to have protections to accept that risk when there is no need to. I wish you the best of luck, but this is an accelerating statistic, don't let your guard down.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @ a1derful1 So many edgy one liners. More please, the five o'clock stubble needs it. Hmmm, actually, we teach people things like what can put you in more danger during a thunderstorm. We warn people about carcinogens. A person already using birth control pills and condoms is already taking steps to reduce the risk of pregnancy. People are aware of, react to, and manage risks all the time. Welcome to life, the padded cells haven't filled up yet.
    Which proves my point exactly. We do all these preventative measures and it can still happen. In life, shit happens. That's just the way it is. And you are correct, the padded cells haven't filled up because you can't live your life in fear of the "what if's". As long as you don't live in one, you take a measured risk in all aspects of life.

Except for the fact that I feel you make a wonderful example for taking things too far -- I don't know you, your wife, or your daughter. If something happens, you'll be a minor blip in statistics and the odds are I'll never even know. My apologies for attempting to be polite though, I'll put it plainer so you can feel manly feeding me more of your witticisms. Your cousin knew enough about guns to know two things, how to get one and how to blow his brains out. One thing that is pretty certain about kids, they always find the stuff their parents are hiding and often because they get curious about what it is.
    He was 18. It's not hard to fathom that an 18 year old could figure out how to flip the safety off of a loaded revolver and pull the trigger. I don't have any weapons in the house with a round in the chamber or one that can be chambered as easily as a revolver. If he didn't have a gun, he'd have done something else. If you really wanna kill yourself, it's not that hard and you don't need a gun to do it.

That doesn't really matter though. You can teach your daughter about guns, you can keep playing cute games to hide them. What you can't control is what she hears, whether she gets bullied, whether she gets pulled into her generation's version of the Blue Whale. As long as you cannot do that, you cannot really control your house in a way that will guarantee she won't be able to eat one of your guns. You accept that, that's your right, but it seems odd for a guy who goes to so much effort to have protections to accept that risk when there is no need to. I wish you the best of luck, but this is an accelerating statistic, don't let your guard down.
    But as you mentioned above, I can prepare and teach her to handle herself in school. And like I replied, things can still happen despite the preventative measures. When she gets a few years older, she'll start taking martial arts lessons, so she can defend herself and to teach her discipline in the face of adversity. She'll also learn how to shoot and clean a gun. She'll also learn about swords and other blades. When she's in her teens, if she wants to start drinking or smoking pot, I'll let her do it on the back porch if it keeps her from driving to and from a party with a driver under the influence.

You're not saying anything new. You've just repeated yourself in trying to say the same thing different ways, to which the answer is just the same. Life is a measured risk. You take preventative measures and accept that there is a chance things don't work out. What I find acceptable in my household is thankfully not for you to decide.