Seeking constructive criticism

I'm looking to improve my DPS. There is something I'm clearly doing wrong. I feel like my opener is really good, as I shoot straight to the top of fights, but after that I just sink to the mid or bottom of the charts. I'm hoping to learn some new things from the community and play my class better. Thanks and have a good day. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/charact...rk-iron/cangri

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so there are a few points to be made here that will likely greatly increase your dps

1) DfA must ALWAYS be cast with 'symbols of death', this is not an option
    2) Once you land your DfA, you must immediately go into a shadow dance, so that the eviscerate thats triggered from DfA is in the Shadow Dance damage window
    3) Make sure you have an eviscerate finality for your DfA (get a weak aura to track it), and make sure you have 5-6 combo points before using symbols of death

The key here is, build up 5-6 combo points, eviscerate to get your finality, once you have it, build up 5-6 combo points (6 obviously preferred), use symbols of death, use your DfA immediately after activating SoD, when you are landing go into a shadow dance.

The goal here is to have the damage buff from SoD, nightblade, DfA, and Shadow dance for that buffed Evis,
    - if you have vanish available, its the same sequence as above, except you use SoD, Vanish, DfA, SD, and then roll into your regular SD rotation of SS/SS/Evis/SS

So now lets talk opener:

1)Use shadow blades right before the pull, open with SS, nightblade, SD - SS/SS/Evis/SS (this is important because it gives you a full finality). With bracers, you'll drop out of SD with 3 combo points, use backstab to get 5-6, vanish, DfA, SD - SS/SS/Evis/SS, once you drop out of SD, youll be low NB, so BS, and then reapply your NB.

2) You will be in a maintaining phase at this point, the goal will be to line up a finality with your next DfA, nightblade is active, and you likely have a finality, so build combo points, reapply NB, build combo points, and prepare to do the DfA combo.

Extra, if you get extremely comfortable, you can start to squeeze in more Eviserates in between DfA combos, and this is recommended, but never excessively delay DfAs (more than 2-3 seconds). Also, almost every single shadow dance will be paired with a DfA, on prolonged fights youll recover and extra 2-3 SDs that you can spend.

If you have any questions, please ask.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, an important thing to consider after your Shadow Blades wears off is energy management, since were running this talent set, you need to make sure you're above 90 energy before using a dance, or else its worthless (non DfA dances). If its a DfA dance, make sure you're around 50-60 energy so it can recover while you DfA.

I highly recommend a weak aura suite if you dont have one.

Do you ever use SoD outside of stealth/shadow dance? I have it mapped to my stealth bar right now and find it unwieldy.

Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman View Post
    Okay, so there are a few points to be made here that will likely greatly increase your dps
    Very informative, thanks!

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been using Aethys rotation Addon. I currently don’t have any weak auras setup, and believe that would be a huge benefit. All in all I’ve got some practicing ahead of me.

I tried sub for the first time after sinking some artifact points into it. The above rotation is quite detailed and help you put things in perspective in your mind. Thanks toogoodman.

1) DfA must ALWAYS be cast with 'symbols of death', this is not an option
    2) Once you land your DfA, you must immediately go into a shadow dance, so that the eviscerate thats triggered from DfA is in the Shadow Dance damage window
    3) Make sure you have an eviscerate finality for your DfA (get a weak aura to track it), and make sure you have 5-6 combo points before using symbols of death
    Regarding this Shadow Dance before landing on DfA, I macroed my DfA with Symbol of Death (No GCD if I remember correctly) to make sure I use it together. Their cooldown sync pretty good. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
    Now its hard to remember the Shadow Dance before landing or sometimes its hard to remember to push it after every DfA. Would I be losing significant DPS if I macro this to above. I mean I did macroed and it works since both Symbols of Death and Shadow Dance are off GCD. But do I lose significant dps because I lose almost 1 to 1,5 secs of Shadow Dance on air?

Thanks

I'd start with reading a guide: http://www.ravenholdt.net/subtlety-guide/
    You shouldn't macro SoD and playing around finality isn't wort it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cangri View Post
    I'm looking to improve my DPS. There is something I'm clearly doing wrong. I feel like my opener is really good, as I shoot straight to the top of fights, but after that I just sink to the mid or bottom of the charts. I'm hoping to learn some new things from the community and play my class better. Thanks and have a good day. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/charact...rk-iron/cangri
    blizz has nerfed the rogue so much that its left us rogue masters scratching our heads. i mean are we going to expect this every expansion? most likely.

best advice figure out your class mechanics and just expect blizz to nerf after so get your fun in before you feel bad.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    I'd start with reading a guide: http://www.ravenholdt.net/subtlety-guide/
    You shouldn't macro SoD and playing around finality isn't wort it.
    I try to line up finality with ~80% of my DfAs, obviously if there would be more than 1-2 second delay on DfA to get a finality buff its not worth it, but it can absolutely increase your dps, but its kind of a mastered situation. For most players not comfortable with sub, its obviously not worth it at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thieves cant View Post
    blizz has nerfed the rogue so much that its left us rogue masters scratching our heads. i mean are we going to expect this every expansion? most likely.

best advice figure out your class mechanics and just expect blizz to nerf after so get your fun in before you feel bad.
    Rogue is really not that bad in Antorus, my guild is 6/11m and im always top 3-4 on the meters, except for puppies, I still haven't killed them for obvious reasons. Sub brings something special to raid, survivability, utility, the ability to turn AoE into single target enhanced dps.

Deleted
    You cast too few DFAs. I just checked a normal Vari kill you have in the logs. 4minute fight and you casted 6 DFAs (when assumming you can cast it more or less on cd, 20 sec cd ) you could have casted at least 12 DFAs

Deleted
    This is wrong. You should NOT play around Finality. Its good to have, but dont force it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thieves cant View Post

You are a rogue master?
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose