Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    Are ram prices going to go back down after the holiday sale? If so ill wait for Intel chips to go back to msrp... I'm seeing 2133 sticking going for 80-90 bucks.
    Probably not.. Ram prices are projected to go down some time in 2018 though, when new production lines are finished, just nobody is sure when exactly and if something will break the market again.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Probably not.. Ram prices are projected to go down some time in 2018 though, when new production lines are finished, just nobody is sure when exactly and if something will break the market again.
    I mean before the black friday sales you could grab some 2133 sticks for 129-145 but now those same brands are like 159-164. Will they drop a bit in the future but then go back to rising or is this the new price.

- - - Updated - - -

I think optimization around multi-cores is gonna improve because consoles have it them now. Developers need to use all of the power available to make them run well and the enthusiast version of the consoles need even more power to run 1800p. I thought the fast majority of triple aaa games where designed around consoles and then usually poorly ported to computer. I'd point to destiny as a good example. Tons of launch bullshit as well as a delayed launch but still time to force dlc on people one month into release.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2017-11-29 at 11:07 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

So apparently a huge list of upcoming Coffee Lake CPUs has been leaked online:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12077...e-lake-refresh

Intel Core i3-8000
    Intel Core i3-8000T
    Intel Core i3-8020
    Intel Core i3-8020T
    Intel Core i3-8100T
    Intel Core i3-8120
    Intel Core i3-8120T
    Intel Core i3-8300T
    Intel Core i3-8320
    Intel Core i3-8320T
    Intel Core i5-8300H
    Intel Core i5-8400B
    Intel Core i5-8400H
    Intel Core i5-8400T
    Intel Core i5-8420
    Intel Core i5-8420T
    Intel Core i5-8500
    Intel Core i5-8500B
    Intel Core i5-8500T
    Intel Core i5-8550
    Intel Core i5-8650
    Intel Core i5-8650K

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    So apparently a huge list of upcoming Coffee Lake CPUs has been leaked online:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12077...e-lake-refresh

Intel Core i3-8000
    Intel Core i3-8000T
    Intel Core i3-8020
    Intel Core i3-8020T
    Intel Core i3-8100T
    Intel Core i3-8120
    Intel Core i3-8120T
    Intel Core i3-8300T
    Intel Core i3-8320
    Intel Core i3-8320T
    Intel Core i5-8300H
    Intel Core i5-8400B
    Intel Core i5-8400H
    Intel Core i5-8400T
    Intel Core i5-8420
    Intel Core i5-8420T
    Intel Core i5-8500
    Intel Core i5-8500B
    Intel Core i5-8500T
    Intel Core i5-8550
    Intel Core i5-8650
    Intel Core i5-8650K
    You left out the 9 series.

Core i5-9600K ? ? ? ? ?
    Core i5-9600 ? ? ? ? 65W ?
    Core i5-9500 ? ? ? ? 65W ?
    Core i5-9400 ? ? ? ? 65W ?
    Core i5-9400T ? ? ? ? 35W ?
    Core i3-9300 ? ? ? ? 65W ?
    Core i3-9300T ? ? ? ? 35W ?
    Core i3-9100 ? ? ? ? 65W ?
    Core i3-9100T ? ? ? ? 35W ?
    Core i3-9000 ? ? ? ? 65W ?
    Core i3-9000T

Thats what I think I will aim for.

The Ryzen prices are looking tempting but ram costs are just insane.
    Last edited by loadedaxe; 2017-12-01 at 11:57 AM.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loadedaxe View Post
    The Ryzen prices are looking tempting but ram costs are just insane.
    Kinda poorly formulated here as you make it seem that RAM prices are insane with the Ryzen platform.

When it's kinda the point of RAM prices being out of control regardless of platform.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Kinda poorly formulated here as you make it seem that RAM prices are insane with the Ryzen platform.

When it's kinda the point of RAM prices being out of control regardless of platform.
    Yeah, I meant that ram prices are whats keeping me from doing anything at the moment.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

15+ Year Old Account
    New info out... rejoice users of Z170 and Z270.

This may usher in mods to enable 8700K on your boards!

https://videocardz.com/74298/z170-mo...-core-i3-8350k

I hope for you guys it gets proper modded and continued to extend to other boards, even at a small fee it'd probably be worth it provided it works properly.

I like said.. prior chipsets can work it's just that Intel decided not to because they want you to upgrade.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."

I hope for you guys it gets proper modded and continued to extend to other boards, even at a small fee it'd probably be worth it provided it works properly.

I like said.. prior chipsets can work it's just that Intel decided not to because they want you to upgrade.
    Wow. That sucks. I am not impacted by this because i went from a completely different socket altoghether, but this proves how the 370 series is mostly a financial move.

However i wouldn't really upgrade my rig from a 6700 or 7700 for an 8700 - performance wise you won't see much of a gain.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

That's a really lousy move from Intel. The conspiracy theorist in me is now thinking that the "leaks" on the top of the page seem a bit too convenient with the Ryzen refresh coming out in Feb.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    That's a really lousy move from Intel. The conspiracy theorist in me is now thinking that the "leaks" on the top of the page seem a bit too convenient with the Ryzen refresh coming out in Feb.
    Like I said though... this was information long known to us, we know the first CPU prototype boards were your run-of-the-mill Z270 boards.
    Especially considering the fact that the pin count and location are the same, the only alteration is pin function.

Those, in any board, can be remapped in the BIOS with a profile for said CPU as it needs to boot up with a Device ID first.
    After which the pin layout profile is loaded and bam... you have support.

Granted I would not recommend running an 8700K in a cheap B110 board or something like that but if you have something like the higher-end Z170/Z270 boards I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to.. the power delivery of those boards FAR exceed even the 8700K's power draw still.

It was nothing more than a financial move from Intel because God forbid people actually using their hardware for longer than 2 years and 2 months (Z170 release) or 10 months (Z270).

Regardless though.. I'm hoping those modders can perfect the BIOS that'll allow for these changes even with restrictions in place such as Coffee Lake support only on Z170/Z270 series boards.. most people that WANT to upgrade can then upgrade cheaper.
    There's no reason why this can't work just like the bullshit reason of "Oh but we can't run Optane on Z170" crap.

While I can agree to some degree it is a lousy move from intel, I think it is blown out of proportion, most people buy a pc and stick with it for as long as they can, and in such case they do not have a Z170/Z270 board to upgrade from. A lot of people upgrading now are comming from Sandy bridge.

IPC wise there is not a lot of difference with SKL/KBL/CFL it's mostly clockspeed and with CFL extra cores, which you don't realy need for gaming just yet, even if you can use them.

Every one on this forum is like there is no real need to upgrade your CPU if you have sandy bridge or more recent as they are plenty capable, now they add 2 more cores and a new chipset and bang all of a sudden there are issues with that they don't work on previous gen motherboards.

I kind of wished they changed the socket, then all this complaining was not needed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    While I can agree to some degree it is a lousy move from intel, I think it is blown out of proportion, most people buy a pc and stick with it for as long as they can, and in such case they do not have a Z170/Z270 board to upgrade from. A lot of people upgrading now are comming from Sandy bridge.

IPC wise there is not a lot of difference with SKL/KBL/CFL it's mostly clockspeed and with CFL extra cores, which you don't realy need for gaming just yet, even if you can use them.

Every one on this forum is like there is no real need to upgrade your CPU if you have sandy bridge or more recent as they are plenty capable, now they add 2 more cores and a new chipset and bang all of a sudden there are issues with that they don't work on previous gen motherboards.

I kind of wished they changed the socket, then all this complaining was not needed.
    Yes and no, the point isn't about simply "ZOMG! I IZ NIED UPGRAEDS!" but more along the lines of a person who started with an i3 or i5 to go to a new version of i7.
    There's no difference in IPC (0% - nothing, nada, zilch, diddly squat) between Skylake -> Kaby Lake -> Coffee Lake, meaning it's all the same uArch.
    If it's the same uArch it should be possible to have compatibility to allow for people who went from budget to possibly something more high-end for various purposes.

Not everyone upgrades because they can but because they must, I have a burnt down Gulftown system that no longer functions, ergo I must upgrade.
    But someone who's had f.ex. an i5-6600K with an ASUS Maximus VIII board and who's killed the CPU for whatever reason more than has the capability to have Coffee Lake running on that board but then the decision is made not to because ... money.

It is not an issue of "Well older stuff works fine, no need to upgrade!" but more like "Why is this relatively new stuff that has everything identical no longer valid?"

If they did physically alter the socket and CPUs it would mean that it also wasn't a fabricated bla-bla story that Intel spun about it being impossible because.
    And there would indeed be no question about it because with that alteration even if it were we cannot change it to work.
    Where-as now modders simply reverse-engineer the code and inject it into the DID firmware to make it work making it a matter of artificial lockout only.

(Random side-note: Please do not mix up IPC (Instructions Per Cycle, not Instructions Per Clock) with STP (Single-Threaded Performance))

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post

IMHO, it's less about upgrading and more about replacement parts. When was the last time that you had a processor go faulty? And a motherboard? I have only ever seen one fried CPU and that was from a lightning strike and the MB was fried too. I have seen lots of faulty motherboards. Computers often go faulty and this move almost forces those people to upgrade at the same time.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've received my ASUS Maximus X Code today and I can tell you the following:

Barring the price class literally everything feels considerably more solid than the GigaByte Gaming 7 board I had.
    The "Armour" feels extremely sturdy, the backplate of he mobo feels "just right" is the best description I have for this.

Compared to prior motherboards the box contents feel a bit on the light side.
    Though the 2 badges you get do look pretty damned cool .. even though I'll never use them to stick on a case.

I have not built it yet and I won't do so yet either, I first need enough moola to be able to afford a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX.
    Which I'll have the front and top panel slightly modded to accommodate considerably better airflow and actually look pretty damned cool.

Before anyone asks why not to use the box in the meanwhile to do stuff, here's why not:
    I have 4 cats of which 1 I've banished from my room (even though he tries) because he keeps marking in my room which stinks and forces me to clean every damned time... he's also marked my prior case 2 times forcing me to clean the case and internals since he managed to splash some through the grill unfortunately and even though I'm trying to keep him out I can't always do so.
    2 of the cats are Divas which are short haired but will literally park their ass on anything they feel like to lie on it (example of which is that both of them have actually parked their asses inside of a computer case I was working on right on top of the PSU and messing around with the USB/Front Panel cables) of which 1 of them still tends to chew on things she's not familiar with yet.
    The last of the cats, which is the mother of 2 and grand mother of 1 of the cats we have, is a long haired Maine Coon... she is actually the calmest of them all and won't approach anything you tell her not to ... but she's got hair... and I main she's a literal walking pillow of hair and it gets freaking EVERYWHERE.
    Even clothes we make sure she can't get to have hairs of her on it and we don't know how... we spend a crapton on sticky rollers to get rid of how much hair she's got.
    I'd prefer not to have her hair in my stuff...

There are other reasons as well but those are as good as any I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a fun project to invent a way to keep the cats off your motherboard =P. Maybe screw it to the ceiling? lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    Sounds like a fun project to invent a way to keep the cats off your motherboard =P. Maybe screw it to the ceiling? lol.
    Secret built into the wall uber case of doom?

I like my cats ... but I don't want them anywhere near my electronics ... That's why I need a case before I can do anything else really.
    But in order to buy a case one needs money and that's something sorely lacking right now.

Secret built into the wall uber case of doom?

I like my cats ... but I don't want them anywhere near my electronics ... That's why I need a case before I can do anything else really.
    But in order to buy a case one needs money and that's something sorely lacking right now.
    Not that it's any of my business, but why did you buy such an expensive mobo, if you don't have the money for a new case? I mean, the Code is pretty much overkill in every scenario imaginable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Not that it's any of my business, but why did you buy such an expensive mobo, if you don't have the money for a new case? I mean, the Code is pretty much overkill in every scenario imaginable.
    Simply put the native features of the board.
    I use an inordinate amount of USB ports f.ex. to devices I use to rescue data, test stuff etc.

And rather than piling up a case with 20 brackets (if you look back .. the I/O of the past few generation of boards have an atrociously crap amount of them) inside with more cable management I wanted a motherboard with as much of it native as I can find so I don't have to buy extra peripherals and add-on cards.

I also have been used to always dealing with HEDT platforms for myself which offers CONSIDERABLY more I/O both internally and externally.
    (I connect a crapton of drives, attempting to reduce that but still need the connectivity) and there's that floor of what I want to sacrifice and what not.

It's mostly "native" functionality I need (want) the most without having to resort to add-ons and more cabling etc.
    And part of it, say 25% orso, is that I do not wish to "drop" from what I'm used to whether I "need" it or not.

http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare..._i7_7700hq-690 - supposedly a benchmark comparing a pre-production sample of an i7-8700hq and a plain old i7-7700hq.
    I wasn't that enthusiastic before, still not enthusiastic now. Maybe the i5 hexacore will be better.