Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW stuttering on new monitor

I bought the acer predator x34a and since the game stutters. It never did this on my old Samsung 27". I now use 3440x1440 resolution and the monitor supports 100hz and gsync.

Another weird thing I noticed (or well, did not notice) is the jump from 60 to 100hz... I thought it would be really obvious based on reviews and stuff I read before buying this 1000 euro monitor.. but nope.. I don't really see any difference over my old 60hz screen..

I activated the 100hz overclock on the monitor osd, activated gsync in the nvidia control panel and made sure the windows display properties are on 100hz so I don't think I am doing anything wrong there...

Specs:
    i7 6700
    32gb DDR4
    GTX1080
    Last edited by Planetdune; 2017-12-04 at 12:53 PM.

Your computer specs could help us to see what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Your computer specs could help us to see what is going on.
    Added them to my original post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just out of curiosity I assume you have both monitors attached to the computer and working?

Just for fun disconnect the non-G-Sync monitor.. and try again, reboot first and see if it still stutter.

Also I believe I've read a specific older driver version fixes quite a few G-Sync issues... I think it was 385.43?
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Did you install the monitors drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Did you install the monitors drivers?
    I did not, basically as they don't provide any Windows 10 drivers as you don't need them. There are old Windows 8 drivers but I read they don't do anything besides change the name in the device list..

I also have the stuttering in Hearthstone...

Deleted
    A quick generic checklist for games and high refresh/g-sync monitors:
    - Make sure that windows use the max refresh rate for the monitor (that is not done automatically).
    - Make sure you are running in fullscreen mode (not windowed borderless).
    - Make sure the game is using the max refresh rate (cant remember if wow has a setting for this, but many games do).

Quote Originally Posted by Unarmed1000 View Post
    A quick generic checklist for games and high refresh/g-sync monitors:
    - Make sure that windows use the max refresh rate for the monitor (that is not done automatically).
    - Make sure you are running in fullscreen mode (not windowed borderless).
    - Make sure the game is using the max refresh rate (cant remember if wow has a setting for this, but many games do).
    I am not playing WoW in Fullscreen (as that is cumbersome with two monitors, I play YouTube on my second monitor)... however, Hearthstone also stutters and that IS on Fullscreen mode.

Does your second monitor run off 60hz? Seen some troubles in between running two different refresh rates, which can cause stuttering on windowed fullscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alextros View Post
    Does your second monitor run off 60hz? Seen some troubles in between running two different refresh rates, which can cause stuttering on windowed fullscreen.
    Second monitor runs at 75hz.

Lower your particle density down to fair, and your render scale to 135% should fix your problem, Dual monitors sometimes have issues with scaling at 200% and particle density As well as any anti-aliasing, since it's basically doubling the AA.. So set those down to low to medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Second monitor runs at 75hz.
    That could cause troubles as well, Most fixes I see is synchronization in the framebuffer between 60 and 120 hz.
    You could try plugging the 2nd monitor to your MB and allowing the onboard in Bios

but nope.. I don't really see any difference over my old 60hz screen..
    Is your framerate low at the place that you're testing?

Most (but not all) of the benefits come from higher framerates than 60

Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    Is your framerate low at the place that you're testing?

Most (but not all) of the benefits come from higher framerates than 60
    I play Rocket League a lot and on my 60hz screen I capped (game cap) at 250fps. On my 100hz screen I do use sync so it caps out at 100fps and I see no difference... and that is a heavy motion based game.. but I see no change in smoothness (not that my 60hz was not smooth or anything)... I just figured I would see something different

its alomost surely a gsync issue - i have the same.
    you can verify it like this:

1) run wow in windowed fullscreen mode
    2) activate gsync in window mode + fullscreen
    3) start wow and focus another window - e.g the browser or something like that
    -> your wow should have no stutter issues. (read the framerate or go to a place which is lively and you will notice the frame stuttering without moving yourself)
    4) focus the wow window -> stuttering will start immediatly.

Solution:
    remove the config file from the documents folder ( i think this is where it resides)
    and restart wow - reconfigure everything -> problem should be fixed.

this workaround works for almost all games which have a display setup as part of their config. which gets fucked up when you run a new display with higher refrashrate and gsync.

Also : gsync + multi monitor setup is REALLY REALLY error prone.
    this can happen again everytime. so you have to repeat the steps.

it sucks.
    gsync is awesome , however its not really working flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalatiphra View Post
    its alomost surely a gsync issue - i have the same.
    Solution:
    remove the config file from the documents folder ( i think this is where it resides).
    What do you mean by this, what "config file" are you talking about ?

What do you mean by this, what "config file" are you talking about ?
    \World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf = the file he's talking about, delete that not the whole WTF folder. Just the config.wtf file.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyeara View Post
    \World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf = the file he's talking about, delete that not the whole WTF folder. Just the config.wtf file.
    I will try this but this doesn't explain why Hearthstone would also stutter?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alextros View Post
    This was an issue I had with Freesync. I had to nuke my graphic drivers and turn off Vsync because it not only brought the frame rate down to 60 it also played awful from all the stuttering.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I will try this but this doesn't explain why Hearthstone would also stutter?
    Same issue he explained with Wow, Gsync and overriding config files. Hearthstone's config file: %LOCALAPPDATA% \Blizzard\Hearthstone\options.txt.

- - - Updated - - -

If that doesn't work, reinstall your graphics drivers and disable vsync/gsync